Where do you buy your flights for TRs to cancel?

Where do people buy flights with the intention of canceling them for Tourist Visa proof?

I was going to buy an Air Asia one, but it said in the small print they don't give back airport tax to any flight leaving Thailand. Shame because the actual flight was only 100bht, it was basically all airport tax.

its so cheap I'll probably buy anyway, but just wondering if there was a popular one.

cheers

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I think your confusing Visa exempt entry conditions with Tourist Visas.

Airlines usually only request an outbound ticket if you don't need a Visa for entry to your destination.

I'm talking about the flight out of country you need to show the consulate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I think your confusing Visa exempt entry conditions with Tourist Visas.

Airlines usually only request an outbound ticket if you don't need a Visa for entry to your destination.

That is old info now and no longer valid in some cases. Some consulates are asking for a ticket out now.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Consulates and Immigration will soon cotton onto this if idiots keep discussing it on a public forum

and just what could they do about it?

It is they that are being stupid. Many people want to travel overland to neighbouring countries, but some bureaucrat came up with a stupid rule mandating an air ticket, and it hasn't been recinded yet.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and just what could they do about it?

It is they that are being stupid. Many people want to travel overland to neighbouring countries, but some bureaucrat came up with a stupid rule mandating an air ticket, and it hasn't been recinded yet.

Well how about they  actually start checking that the Air Ticket being presented is actually valid and because they need time to do this adding a extra day or 2 to the visa application process?

If  tickets are found to be invalid then coming up with more stricter regulations in order to gain a TV?

I actually don't disagree with the method being discussed but posting about it on a public forum is downright stupidity 

Edited by darrendsd

Just now, darrendsd said:

Well how about they  actually start checking that the Air Ticket being presented is actually valid and because they need time to do this adding a extra day or 2 to the visa application process?

I actually don't disagree with the method being discussed but posting about it on a public forum is downright stupidity 

??????

Of course it's a valid ticket when they apply and when they arrive in Thailand. They cancel it after entering the country.

As for "them" knowing about it, of course they do, but there is no law against cancelling a ticket after being admitted, so what could they do about it?

That subject has been discussed on travel forums as long as I can remember.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????

Of course it's a valid ticket when they apply and when they arrive in Thailand. They cancel it after entering the country.

As for "them" knowing about it, of course they do, but there is no law against cancelling a ticket after being admitted, so what could they do about it?

And in my view clowns that discuss these things on a public forum is the reason things are made harder in other ways

PS, some of these tickets are not still valid by the time you arrive in Thailand

25 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

If  tickets are found to be invalid then coming up with more stricter regulations in order to gain a TV?

Agents associated with every consulate in the region offer the sale of the sort of ticket-solutions we can't talk about for legal reasons.  The fact is, whether you buy a ticket you never intend to use and throw it away, or use another method, the end-result is the same - you are showing something to a consulate with is not really your intended plan.  Consulates know this, just as they know (and advise) people to get new passports to get rid of the "this person frequently..." red-stamp.

When I was doing the consulate-hop and this "show an air ticket" business got going, I purchased tickets I could actually use for my next trip-out - about 80+ days after the day I was at the consulate.  You get better prices farther in advance, so why not? 

Edited by JackThompson

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Agents associated with every consulate in the region offer the sale of the sort of ticket-solutions we can't talk about for legal reasons.  The fact is, whether you buy a ticket you never intend to use and throw it away, or use another method, the end-result is the same - you are showing something to a consulate with is not really your intended plan.  Consulates know this, just as they know (and advise) people to get new passports to get rid of the "this person frequently..." red-stamp.

When I was doing the consulate-hop and this "show an air ticket" business got going, I purchased tickets I could actually use for my next trip-out - about 80+ days after the day I was at the consulate.  You get better prices farther in advance, so why not? 

Nothing wrong at all with that, you are using the ticket

As I said in a previous post I don't have  issue with what is being discussed however I think discussing it on a public forum is stupid

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

??????

It's never a valid ticket because you never own it and it can never be used. As per the T&C's.

If the consulate knew it was a rented ticket they would not issue the visa. It's pure and simple fraud and there's plenty they could do. That said, I doubt they will do anything as the number of people doing this is probably small in the grand scheme. 

Theres nothing wrong with actually buying a ticket and cancelling it later, but that isn't what happens with this con.

• Thanks 1

A better question might be where can one buy a fully refundable ticket in case their plans change?

Not sure if the withholding of airport taxes is a common procedure, but it's good to know and a good thing to look for in the fine print.

Usually when I travel, I book the cheapest tickets which have the worst terms. Booking directly on some airline's websites (as opposed to booking through Kayak, etc) often provides better terms. For example, if you book directly on the airline's website, some airlines in the US have a 24 hour grace period after purchase during which you can cancel for a full refund. 

At any rate, I'd look at the more expensive ticket classifications directly on airline websites to find the best options. And if some one knows of local carriers that have good terms, that would be good to know.

Edited by CyclingLight
clarification of wording
  • Like 2

I was under the impression a ticket out had to be within the official 60 day visa period and not within the possible 60+30 day period.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

on the topic of onward travel tickets you don't intend to use, i booked a one way refundable ticket on emirates from bkk-hkg.  i had to buy a business class ticket to get a refundable fare.  i used a credit card for the purchase.  i was able to cancel/get a refund using their website about 3 weeks after i purchased the ticket (about 15 days after i'd entered thailand).  i did that twice.  after that i just bought the low one way fares on air asia instead and 'lost' the 1,000thb or so.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I was under the impression a ticket out had to be within the official 60 day visa period and not within the possible 60+30 day period.

It is possible some consulates would specify this.  I was OK with an ~85 day ticket at Savanahket.  And I even wrote the true date I planned to enter Thailand on the Consulate's form (the next day). 

In theory, one could enter any time in the next 90-days with a fresh Tourist-Visa, so no reason the flight would have to be within 60-days of the application-date.  "Plan B"  was to purchase a cheap throwaway ticket, if they didn't accept the one I planned to actually use.

Of course, each consulate can make up their own rules, and they can change them any time, so no guarantees on this policy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

In theory, one could enter any time in the next 90-days with a fresh Tourist-Visa, so no reason the flight would have to be within 60-days of the application-date. 

Not exactly. They know when you enter Thailand because 1. You complete it on the application form. And 2. You provide your flight into Thailand.

Technically, it has to be within 60 days because a 30 day extension is at the discretion of Immigration.

Some Embassies will adhere to this strictly, insisting that you change the date once you get the extension.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, lkv said:

Not exactly. Because they know when you enter Thailand because 1. You complete it on the application form.And 2. You provide your flight into Thailand.

Kind of an aside, but I always wonder why they want to see a flight entering the country before you have been granted a visa? I mean, personally, I hate the idea of buying a ticket until I know I have permission to visit a country.  I can understand the exit flight because they want to be sure you have the means to leave (although seems buses ought to be considered). 

16 minutes ago, lkv said:

Not exactly. They know when you enter Thailand because 1. You complete it on the application form. And 2. You provide your flight into Thailand.

Technically, it has to be within 60 days because a 30 day extension is at the discretion of Immigration.

Some Embassies will adhere to this strictly, insisting that you change the date once you get the extension.

I haven't been to a consulate who asks to provide the flight into Thailand - only out - though I can see how that policy would force people to buy at least one throwaway ticket. 

1 minute ago, CyclingLight said:

I can understand the exit flight because they want to be sure you have the means to leave (although seems buses ought to be considered).

Savanahket has been reported to accept international bus and train tickets.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Logically it should be within 60 days as that is the maximum permission to stay the IO can grant on entry, but I've never seen 60 days, or any other number, specified anywhere. It seems to be solely at the discretion of the embassy/consulate issuing the visa.

Just now, Nick ZepTepi said:

I was going to get a $20 bus ticket from BKK to siem reap. That should be ok, shouldn't it?

It should work at Savanahket, according to last reports.  You would need to say which consulate, to see if anyone has heard of this being ok at a particular one.

• Like 1

Logically it should be within 60 days as that is the maximum permission to stay the IO can grant on entry, but I've never seen 60 days, or any other number, specified anywhere. It seems to be solely at the discretion of the embassy/consulate issuing the visa.
How do we find out? I'm going to HCMC in a couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

How do we find out? I'm going to HCMC in a couple of weeks.

My ideas:

1. Post a new topic with Can I use a bus ticket for onward travel rqmt for SETV at HCMC?

2. Check the HCMC consulate's website for their list of SETV requirements and forms

3. Email the HCMC consulate directly and ask.

3. Do a web search...

HCMC.
Bus ticket and no reference to when the our ticket had to be.

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
Visa application form completely filled out (download / online fill-in)
Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant
Evidence of travel (air/bus ticket IN and OUT Thailand)
Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7002/76420-For-Non-Vietnamese-citizen-|-D%C3%A0nh-cho-ng%C6%B0%E1%BB%9Di-kh%C3%B4ng.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

What if one decided to spend another 2 months or so in Laos, Cambodia, etc., before entering Thailand? 

Would it be okay, in this case, to have a flight out after 2+2=4 months (staying 2 months in a neighbouring country, then using the 2-month visa in Thailand?? (Or would they then ask for the 2-month hotel booking in that country?)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1