Motor Oil Analysis

I need to have my gasoline engine oil analysed for contamination.

I have contacted SGS in Bangkok, but they are non-responsive.

Is there another reputable organization/laboratory that can perform this analysis, preferably in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Interested in your concern over oil.

Seems a drastic measure,  engine oil when in use can be seen contaminated just looking at it or by smell.

There's only a few main internal things, coolant leaks, worn engine, mixing incompatible oils if top ups are required & additives.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, Kwasaki said:

Interested in your concern over oil.

Seems a drastic measure,  engine oil when in use can be seen contaminated just looking at it or by smell.

There's only a few main internal things, coolant leaks, worn engine, mixing incompatible oils if top ups are required & additives.

Most of which can be diagnosed without laboratory analysis of the oil. Have you let a motor mechanic look at it?

Jerry

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:11 AM, Kwasaki said:

The OP might have a problem finding one of them. :biggrin:

Yeah. They're all named; technicians and engineers nowadays. Not a grease monkey to be found. Give me a grease monkey any day.

There's good guys around whom aren't pretentious. One I know served in the military workshops for eight years. A knowledgeable and pragmatic guy. With the exemption of expletives, he barely speaks a word of English, though.

Jerry

10 hours ago, Jerry Cornelius said:

Yeah. They're all named; technicians and engineers nowadays. Not a grease monkey to be found. Give me a grease monkey any day.

There's good guys around whom aren't pretentious. One I know served in the military workshops for eight years. A knowledgeable and pragmatic guy. With the exemption of expletives, he barely speaks a word of English, though.

Jerry

Yep there about, our local Sukhothai franchise Cockpit owner is a knowledgeable guy they do most anything except but don't get involved with engine rebuilds but know people who do.

In Phitsanulok a father & son team are the best motorcycle mechanics l've come across.

Kwacka's has a great kid at Nakhon Sawan workshop observed with him as he striped my Versys engine down and he rebuilt it with many new parts.

English not a problem with my Mrs and my bit of Thai with some miming and drawings thrown in, no problem. :biggrin:

What airline do you fly?

TSA categorize engine oil as hazardous. They do add a caveat, however, that you should contact your intended carrier for any clarifications.

If you're just doing a straight forward four part test, you could buy a test kit for around 60 USD (maybe cheaper on e-Bay) and do the test yourself. Getting the oil out of the motor is the most difficult and dirty part of the test and you're doing that already. There's other, more comprehensive test kits available, also. 

If particle counts (especially non-ferrous) are a concern. Then anything other than an in-line filter sample (direct from the motor) isn't meaningful.

Unless anything untoward has happened, sticking within Maintenance Schedule mandates is more than adequate for any motor. Even gas turbines with reheat.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry Cornelius

Check your info. Yes it is considered hazardous, but it is specifically allowed by both TSA and FAA in checked baggage, no quantity limit. They also allow oil in carryon baggage with the standard 100mL limit. Screenshots from their web site as of today (9/6/17) attached.

I usually check in just to save weight in my carryon, but I've done both before with no issues, and if TSA screeners ask, I tell them it's an engine oil sample from my car.

Sam

FAA site.JPG

TSA site.JPG

Reason I asked about the airline is because I had a problem with motor oil and air freight about two years ago. Conclusion was the oil had to be shipped by sea. Air China was the airline.

Seems there's been a revision since then. Looked at the TSA website (before posting) for auto engine restrictions which was as I remembered. and extrapolated that to be ditto for the oil restriction. Just goes to show you can't get away with making assumptions every time.

Strange that you should still need to drain all oil (fuel's not in question) from a motor, (which had to be sealed), while any Joe just checks-in x gallons at any time.

Jerry