greywater plantings

canopy

What plants are ideal for treating water in a constructed greywater wetland in this climate? Below is a picture of the process. I've read vetiver grass is very good, but would prefer something a little more ornamental. I see a surprisingly good variety of bog plants available at nurseries. Barring any suggestions I may just go with a sampler pack and see what happens.

gw.jpg.eff55029cd14d7116d2b9c0ce0addfd2.jpg

..from my constructed wetland consultant - swamp engineer - it's the microbes that attach to the roots of the water plants in the wetlands that do the work. So it may not matter which plants you use, as long as they are suited to being wet full-time, and love your relevant temp range and shading or lack thereof that they'll endure. And make sure you don't kill them with chemicals from soaps in your greywater. 

He said one needs to grow the constructed wetland's plants and microbes as the house construction occurs in parallel. That way, by the time the house is done, and you're dumping nutrient-rich water into it, the microbe community is in full bloom already. He does this by digging out the 'wetlands' area at time of site foundation excavation, then lines and fills it with local water, local wetlands mud and local water plants. 

Question - what's the design guide you're working with for your system?

It's interesting greywater systems are still evolving. Getting the kinks out is progressing for instance with ease of maintenance.  And making a system that takes full advantage of the Thai climate to me is essential. I have found these resources particularly useful:

frog watch

greywater oasis

malaysia systems

Archived