Smart Visa (digital nomads)

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

You really are out of touch Jack, I came back to my wife's coffee shop, from a shopping trip, one day to find

to find no less than six laptops and all on her largest tables ( 4 seats ) why is it so difficult for you to understand

they don't have or want homes they want all they can get free or at as little cost as possible because i think they

are not really that good at what they are doing and if they actually had to pay rent of any amount they would

most probably be making nothing anyway.

I am not thinking about it Jack my wife has experienced it first hand. I have fixed the problem, for now but not

before receiving several vile lying reviews.

I fully expect i will have to do battle with these parasites once more in the upcoming high season again. I thank

you for being an honest digital worker but i believe the majority are not, you are rare along with oilinky. 

Where do they sleep?  Even the cheapest hostel-style guesthouses have public-areas and free wifi.  This sounds more like Facebook junkies caught between hotel checkout-time and when next the bus leaves - trying to keep their batteries charged for the trip - than people making a living (even a poor one) doing online work.

I cannot imagine not making such use of a business well-worth their contribution (power-outages in Cambodia come to mind), such that they are happy to see me coming the next time.

Edited by JackThompson

21 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

As all the nomads tacitly admit, after my mate Nate, and the teasing of this visa that this would finally make them legal.. Admitting they are not now.. 

Its a grey zone in their law but as long you dont have thai customer you wont be bothered. Personaly i do make my money in France with my french registred compagny and only french customer. While i live in thailand 9 months a year.
everytime i got to talk about it with official people, including imigration officier that have never even make them rise an ebrow, they found that perfectly fine, writte it on their repport and i got my visa extention (mariage).

2 hours ago, phuketjock said:

you for being an honest digital worker but i believe the majority are not, you are rare along with oilinky. 

Please do not refer me as "oilinky". It would make me a russian, which I am not. 

My name is 'oilinki' which is a Finnish word, and means long straight road.

My father owns the very spot of my name. 

The reality is that each of us, regardless of our credentials, want to find home where to live. 

Let's rewind 500 years back and nobody had a sense of being under some regulations, when walking to west, north, south or north. 

These borders, which we are not allowed to cross are why?.. who's fault? Who did invent the borders, who did invent the passports, who did invent we simple human beings have to obey these rules?

8 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Please do not refer me as "oilinky". It would make me a russian, which I am not. 

My name is 'oilinki' which is a Finnish word, and means long straight road.

My father owns the very spot of my name. 

Please accept my most sincere apologies for my typo "oilinki ".    :wai:

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The reality is that each of us, regardless of our credentials, want to find home where to live. 

Let's rewind 500 years back and nobody had a sense of being under some regulations, when walking to west, north, south or north. 

These borders, which we are not allowed to cross are why?.. who's fault? Who did invent the borders, who did invent the passports, who did invent we simple human beings have to obey these rules?

I have always said my home is where i hang my hat, even though i don't wear a hat so i regard 

Thailand as my home.

Unfortunately going back any number of years is, i fear, irrelevant just like the why or the wherefore 

it cannot now be changed so we have to deal with the rules and regulation of the country that we decide

that we wish to settle in no matter how frustrating or unnecessary we may think they are, it is a take it

or leave it situation whether we like it or not that's, as they, life.

8 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

I have always said my home is where i hang my hat, even though i don't wear a hat so i regard 

Thailand as my home.

Unfortunately going back any number of years is, i fear, irrelevant just like the why or the wherefore 

it cannot now be changed so we have to deal with the rules and regulation of the country that we decide

that we wish to settle in no matter how frustrating or unnecessary we may think they are, it is a take it

or leave it situation whether we like it or not that's, as they, life.

Always think, who are the people you would be happy to share a stranded island.

Then you'll know who are the  the important people for you. 

And why the name "smart visa"? It would be more easy to name it "investment visa" and it will be clear.

There is already a so called investment visa forvinvestment/high skilled (non immigrant B).
so they give this thing a new name, increase the conditions to get the visa, make it more expensive and here there is the 'smart visa'

Will be the same disappointment like the 10-year visa.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, FritsSikkink said:

From the article:

"To be eligible, applicants must be investors, startup entrepreneurs, high-level executives or highly skilled professionals."

"startup entrepreneurs" I would think you would need to do a proper investment and hire Thai staff to get into this category. A revenue of 20-50K a month wouldn't get you there, especially with the following being said too:

"the new visa would enable knowledge transfer that would boost business growth in the country and long-term economic benefits."

Yeah, I am hoping there is some sort of provision for people like myself that are engineers, mathematicians, with Masters and PhD, that would like to teach or tutor.  It just seems a shame for me to be over there semi-retired and not being able to pass on some useful knowledge or teach easily.  Not looking to work in a company, just looking for an easy way to teach Thais in Thailand.  Not some digital nomad digging for scraps on the internet.

3 hours ago, Crisu said:

If yu cant do this with the current visas already you will not be able to do it with the new 'smart visa'.
Hopeless dreaming..

I don't expect it.  I don't ask for it.  I am not dreaming about it.  When they say " To be eligible, applicants must be investors, startup entrepreneurs, high-level executives or highly skilled professionals." , well, I am a a highly skilled aerospace professional.  The trick is now, so what?  Many people will fall into that category.  And those people or even less qualified people might get hired by companies, get work permits, etc. under the current rules.  So this new visa, doesn't seem to do much.  It could, depending on how it is implemented, or it could do not much if it still requires a person have the proper job, work permit etc.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:52 PM, JackThompson said:

There is no work-permit + appropriate visa for those with modern non-brick-mortar businesses, which are not capital-intensive.  They still spend foreign-earned capital here, so do only good for Thais and the Thai economy, while doing no harm in the process.  The alternative is for them to move to Cambodia and Vietnam, which would do harm to Thailand.

They pay VAT taxes.  Those living on savings from previous years do not owe income-taxes.  Many live hand-to-mouth on retirement visas, do not pay taxes here on same-year earned incomes, and have less foreign-capital to spend into the economy per-year.  Tax-policy would need to be applied across-the-board - though that would drive many/most retirees to other locales - again hurting Thailand. 

Many would happily incorporate here and pay taxes if there were a reasonable business-visa solution on offer for the types of business they own.  It would be unfortunate, but not surprising, if this new proposed visa fails to include one of the fastest-growing labor-sectors, thereby cutting Thailand out of the potential tax-revenue and foreign-capital spending associated with those working in it.

There are visa's available, investment and elite but their spending power is zilch and they can't afford them.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 5:56 PM, JackThompson said:

There are different categories - and those who liked to roam in the past, sometimes find a place they would like to call home (yours truly).  Yes, some are proud of tax-avoidance.  My suggestion is a B-Visa and "offshore work permit" scheme (no work for Thai entities permitted), which incorporates a min-tax payment.  This would allow under-50s to live here and conduct their online-activities sans visa-runs or any concern about legalities of such. 

I have nothing against digital nomads...its modern day work and they are exploiting the benefits (or not) on their own time. I just find it hilarious that most are massively illiterate. I mean the article in the op nowhere ever mentions a "digital nomad" visa. It's a made up click bait by some dodgy website. You should see how many jumped on this on Facebook and believed it.

Would not trust these people with a calculator, let alone designing my web site. 

I think what op posted here should be filed under fake news category.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, French mate said:

Its a grey zone in their law but as long you dont have thai customer you wont be bothered. Personaly i do make my money in France with my french registred compagny and only french customer. While i live in thailand 9 months a year.
everytime i got to talk about it with official people, including imigration officier that have never even make them rise an ebrow, they found that perfectly fine, writte it on their repport and i got my visa extention (mariage).

Talk about it with the people of the labour office

On 31-8-2017 at 6:23 PM, oilinki said:

Uh, I'm not ever closely related to to that British or US brat.

I'm 25 years Internet veteran, who has seen the birth of the Internet, who has actually met quite a few of the most influential folks, who have made the Internet, what it is today.. and yes, created interuniversity communication systems, before gopher and the www.

I and we are the skilful nomads, who we should talk about. Not these kids, who abuse others, to gain flash fame for only for themselves. 

Everyone who has used gopher can apply for a retirement visa. 

1 hour ago, Paul944 said:

Everyone who has used gopher can apply for a retirement visa. 

Ha, I salute you if and as you mean the protocol!

I actually did a inter university/city information board over DECNET in 1991. That was way before gopher, alex, www etc. Fun and good times. 

I or it could do not much if it still requires a person have the proper job, work permit etc.

Thats the point:
even if you are so called high skilled they will ask you for an employment contract+high salary ect. if you would like to qualify for that visa.
Everything else make no sense.

If someone is thinking just a high skilled profession is sufficient without a fix employment contract with a thai company, then he is dreaming.

Just look at the 10y visa: they give you some goodies but increase the conditions to get this new visa so that in my opinion this visa is useless because they did nothing easy but insead more hard.
Expect the same with smart visa.

Everything else would be a big surprise if you compare the thai visa politics in the last ~3y

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...