Water Heating

d123

Help required if possible please.

looking for recommendations for good plumbing/electrical company that can service/repair domestic water heating system or install new system. Chalong/Patong/Phuket Town company preferred.

many thanks

Just curious. What kind of hot water "system?" I have an electric water heater attached to the shower, that's all I've ever needed in the 12 years here. It still works.I did replace the water pump a few years ago. I did it myself, I've never had a problem with it. My neighbor had some local install his, he always seems to have problems with his pump. He went through two pumps that were more expensive in the same time I put mine in.

Edited by Jimi007

Thanks Schlog, I'd considered this but would like to check out other possibilities.

Jimi, the 'system' as such is a simple tank with heater element feeding three bathrooms and kitchen. The heater element as packed in, darned thing is only four years old. Trouble is tank is in loft/roof void and access is via a small trapdoor so cannot simply replace tank. Worry is, we don't want ceiling damage through water leakage during whatever work is done. Having seen some of the works carried out on friends houses we're trying to avoid this damage. The electric shower way would be a last resort. Thanks for your comments.

Edited by d123

4 hours ago, d123 said:

Thanks Schlog, I'd considered this but would like to check out other possibilities.

Jimi, the 'system' as such is a simple tank with heater element feeding three bathrooms and kitchen. The heater element as packed in, darned thing is only four years old. Trouble is tank is in loft/roof void and access is via a small trapdoor so cannot simply replace tank. Worry is, we don't want ceiling damage through water leakage during whatever work is done. Having seen some of the works carried out on friends houses we're trying to avoid this damage. The electric shower way would be a last resort. Thanks for your comments.

May be not too much of a worry to just replace the element, if it is that.............

The elements USUALLY sit a few inches above the bottom of the tank thereby meaning that all the water need not be drained and the element can be changed with no to minimum spillage (nothing that a plastic sheet couldn't catch anyway).

I'm going to second xylophone's recommendation.

The heating element(s) should be easily replaced, Depending upon the size of the tank, there may be two elements, one at the top, and one near the bottom. In any event, the one at the bottom would be located a few inches above the tank bottom to ensure that it doesn't become immersed in any sediment that eventually collects at the tank bottom.

Replacement should be fairly simple - disconnect the heater's power, close the inlet valve and open some of the hot water taps in the house in order to drain the water to a level below the element at the bottom of the tank. Element replacement usually involves the easy removal of an access cover plate, and then removal of the element by simply removing the power connector and unscrewing it. Reverse the entire procedure using a new element, and you're back in business. 

As xylophone mentioned, there should be minimal, if any leakage.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:54 AM, d123 said:

Can they replace if necessary by removing a few roof tiles to get a new unit into the roof space 

11 hours ago, madmax2 said:

Can they replace if necessary by removing a few roof tiles to get a new unit into the roof space 

That's the way the cable and satellite TV guys usually got in up in the attic at my house. Easier than the small crawl space from the bathroom ceiling!

15 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

That's the way the cable and satellite TV guys usually got in up in the attic at my house. Easier than the small crawl space from the bathroom ceiling!

15 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

With the resultant loose tiles/water leaks that result, not to say the rodents/lizards that suddenly find that they've got a bolt hole to escape the ravages of heavy rain.   The pitter patter of rats running above your ceiling is one of the more quaint forms of entertainment when the electricity closes during a storm.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

With the resultant loose tiles/water leaks that result, not to say the rodents/lizards that suddenly find that they've got a bolt hole to escape the ravages of heavy rain.   The pitter patter of rats running above your ceiling is one of the more quaint forms of entertainment when the electricity closes during a storm.

You obviously have no idea of how roof tiles are attached to the roof, just every second or third one is secured with tie wire to the roof structure, easy to remove and replace them exactly as they were before

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

I never had that issue. Too many damn cats around here for rats and no water leaks with the type of roofing I have. It's that cement/fiberglass heavy tile stuff. And the geckos can easily come in and out under the doors. Ants come through the electric conduit and out the light switch!

12 hours ago, madmax2 said:

You obviously have no idea of how roof tiles are attached to the roof, just every second or third one is secured with tie wire to the roof structure, easy to remove and replace them exactly as they were before

Oh, indeed I do.   A couple of years ago we had the underside of our roof tiles insulated with spray foam.   Prior to this we had to make sure that all the tiles were correctly placed etc.   We found that a succession of different internet/satellite TV providers hadn't always placed moved tiles correctly.   Do you go up and check the roof each time you have such activities?   This foam insulation now completely seals the tiles from the inside and fixes them like glue, eliminating leaks.   No way is anyone going to mess with our roof again.

20150928_161551.jpg

1 hour ago, pagallim said:

Oh, indeed I do.   A couple of years ago we had the underside of our roof tiles insulated with spray foam.   Prior to this we had to make sure that all the tiles were correctly placed etc.   We found that a succession of different internet/satellite TV providers hadn't always placed moved tiles correctly.   Do you go up and check the roof each time you have such activities?   This foam insulation now completely seals the tiles from the inside and fixes them like glue, eliminating leaks.   No way is anyone going to mess with our roof again.

20150928_161551.jpg

No need to check each time someone removes and replaces the roof tiles, if the tiles are replaced correctly the roof does not leak, if we had a leak i would check that the tiles were replaced correctly which it very easy to do

Had one of those big squirrel looking animals getting to to our roof cavity recently, not thru the tiles which it did not know how to pick up but a hole in the eave which has now been blocked

Edited by madmax2