Airport link train sucks

shanesox

sometimes it's busy and sometimes it isnt. rush hour being peak times. pretty much like public transportation systems the world over.

next.

that must be the thinking of "Bangkok transport planners" "pretty much same all over the world we can't do anything " How wrong you are !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would say it's a good service but very badly managed.  The crowding at rush hours is really horrendous these days.  I get on at Hua Mak but if I'm going at peak times I'll often get a train to the airport first and turn around and come back.  You just can't get on otherwise.

15 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It's become massively overcrowded now at rush hour. 

And I recall a couple of years back when TVF posters were ridiculing the lack of passengers on what they claimed was a white elephant.

Now that it's established, I'd love to see them try the Express Line again.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

And I recall a couple of years back when TVF posters were ridiculing the lack of passengers on what they claimed was a white elephant.

The Airport EXPRESS always was and is a "white elephant".

The City Line though, is just a commuter line leading to the Eastern suburbs, managed by what must be Thailand's most incompetent government authority.

Not enough carriages, and running not as frequent as it should. It is a life-threatening experience, and it is no coincidence that a deadly accident happened just recently. Everyone who ever tried to queue on that extremely narrow platform at the Phayathai terminal station during rush hours knew that it was just a question of time for something like that to happen. Will anything change (more carriages, more frequent runs, change of mgmt) ? Not likely.....

On 8/16/2017 at 5:01 PM, Lakegeneve said:

A few updates on the ARL.

1) New rolling stock
Although funds were approved 4 years ago to purchase 7 new 5 car sets of rolling stock (see my previous posts) a combination of internal delays and subsequent corruption allegations related to an intended purchase of Chinese rolling stock, meant that the process was suspended in late 2015.
For what it is worth, the SRTET CEO is stating that the order will be placed by the end of 2017. Given the normal 2 year delivery period we won't be seeing any new trains before early 2020!

2) PSDs:
The installation of Platfrom Screen Doors has become a priority. The contractor will be selected next week with installation to commence ASAP. Expectation is all 7 stations will be completed by early next year. They will start with Phaya Thai and Lat Krabang stations

3) Current 9 rolling stock refurbishment
The SRTET is refurbishing all of its current trains, especially the Express trains and converting seating and the baggage car for pax. 1 set has been completed, 1 is underway and all 9 sets should be done by Feb 2018.Once done this will allow the frequency to be increased to every 8 mins during peak hours and allow for a capacity of 80k pax per day. 

Summary by April next year (hopefully):
1) PSDs on all station,
2) Refurbished trains - especially Express for greater capacity,
3) Increased frequency,
4) And fingers crossed finally an order for new rolling stock!

The Express Line trains (4) are all being converted with extra seating (see above post). The Express service will never return in the previous format.

However, once the ARL extension is completed (which will become part of the Eastern HSR line, there will be Express Services again. Perhaps, in around 5 years. 

Hopefully, we'll have new rolling stock well before then.........

2 hours ago, impulse said:

This was for different reasons though, mostly the choice of Makkasan (with it's lack of connections and onward travel efficiency) as a point of arrival for international travellers, as well as poor scheduling of the Express Line. These issues were and remain valid, however the airport link and city line have now become recognised as being absolutely indispensable. It's crazy (though hardly surprising) that they haven't increased the frequency of trains at rush hour to reflect the increased volume of users. 

Edited by lamyai3

33 minutes ago, Lakegeneve said:

The Express Line trains (4) are all being converted with extra seating (see above post). The Express service will never return in the previous format.

Any plans put forward to convert that part of Makkassan to a food court to give the evicted sidewalk vendors a place to go?  To be honest, I haven't looked at that side of the station since a Bicycle Exhibition a few years back, so they may have done something with it already.  

1 minute ago, lamyai3 said:

This was for different reasons though, mostly the choice of Makkasan (with it's lack of connections and onward travel efficiency) as a point of arrival for international travellers, as well as poor scheduling of the Express Line

I'd also add the taxi mafia that (at the time) was the only way out of Makkassan, with the MRT a dodgy walk across some train tracks and across a street- always fun in the rain.  It's still not great for anyone with baggage, but the connection to the MRT station has sure improved taking the City Line.  And I think they could have also made great strides by checking more passengers and their luggage in at the ARL, then a leisurely ride to Swampy.

But all spilt milk now, apparently.

I'd also add the taxi mafia that (at the time) was the only way out of Makkassan, with the MRT a dodgy walk across some train tracks and across a street- always fun in the rain.  It's still not great for anyone with baggage, but the connection to the MRT station has sure improved taking the City Line.  And I think they could have also made great strides by checking more passengers and their luggage in at the ARL, then a leisurely ride to Swampy.

But all spilt milk now, apparently.

There is now an official GRAB TAXI counter, can not be missed when you leave Makkasan ARL station towards the MRT station

It's really not an "Airport Link" at all. It's a commuter train line.

God help anyone trying to actually get on with their luggage. It really needs a100 baht fee (or more) to make it an actual "Airport" use line if that's the intent.

18 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

The Express could not have been viable even at 4 times the price....i was happy with it Thai's wouldn't use it so its back to using a taxi....

They should charge 100 - 150 thb for it

Not like I would want to pay 5 times more than now, but unless you ballin enough to fly business/first class, a long haul flight is exhausting. Last thing you want after xx hours in cattle class is to squeeze with hundreds of other people to get to the city.

After all it is 4 euro, bargain in compare with most major airports and in the land of 220 thb atm withdrawals and one of the most expensive beer/wine prices in the world (if compared to local wages)

I use it all the time and it really can't be beat. I can get from the airport to Sathorn in under an hour for less than 100 baht - combo of ARL and MRT.

Not convenient with lots of bags due to the absolute moronic way the system is designed. Why is there not an easy connection from Makkassan to the MRT, an underground passageway with people movers? Getting a taxi there is ludicrous because no taxis will go there to pick anyone up - much easier to walk to the MRT station and grab one on the road. 

The whole station must have been designed by a five year old, because anyone older would have seen the flaws. With a little effort, it could really be redesigned and become quite useful.

Also the trains themselves are idiotic, why are they still rolling the "baggage car" and not replace it with something that actual people can use? How hard is to to add an additional carriage to the trains? Oh and why have they not fixed the loud bang one hears on the way to the airport just past Ramkanhaeng - although I love how it scares the tourists.

5 hours ago, phkauf said:

I use it all the time and it really can't be beat. I can get from the airport to Sathorn in under an hour for less than 100 baht - combo of ARL and MRT.

Not convenient with lots of bags due to the absolute moronic way the system is designed. Why is there not an easy connection from Makkassan to the MRT, an underground passageway with people movers? Getting a taxi there is ludicrous because no taxis will go there to pick anyone up - much easier to walk to the MRT station and grab one on the road. 

The whole station must have been designed by a five year old, because anyone older would have seen the flaws. With a little effort, it could really be redesigned and become quite useful.

Also the trains themselves are idiotic, why are they still rolling the "baggage car" and not replace it with something that actual people can use? How hard is to to add an additional carriage to the trains? Oh and why have they not fixed the loud bang one hears on the way to the airport just past Ramkanhaeng - although I love how it scares the tourists.

Loud bangs? I still remember the train falling out and not opening the doors while in full sun and full of passengers.

They ordered new carriages a while ago i remember, maybe they still have to arrive?

I used this line once and tried to get a taxi at the end which was very dangerous. Won't use it again.

I've switched back to taxis. Once they killed the express train, I used the City Line a few times. What a pain,  to the airport and going into town. It's of no use if you live anywhere from Prom Pong and outward to Udom Suk. Quicker and easier to take the taxi from the airport to my destination, Phra Khanong. I hopped off the airport train at Ramkhamhaeng to go to Phra Khanong a couple of times but it's such a busy intersection that hailing a taxi became too frustrating and dangerous, not to mention the half hour crawling down Soi 71 to Suk. 

What was once the best way for me to get to the city center has become my last choice for any transport. Over crowded with commuters and airport arrivals' baggage. BTS is not much better since they opened the new stations past Udom Suk. Back to driving and paying for parking.

If someone could advise on this, I would be grateful. I will soon visit Bangkok for a week or two and will be commuting to the Lat Krabang area for business. I will be staying in Sukhumvit area and intend to commute to Lat Krabang estate in the moring and return at night on the Airport Link. Is this viable?

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Loud bangs? I still remember the train falling out and not opening the doors while in full sun and full of passengers.

They ordered new carriages a while ago i remember, maybe they still have to arrive?

I used this line once and tried to get a taxi at the end which was very dangerous. Won't use it again.

Unfortunately, no new rolling stock has yet been ordered.....see the update on the previous page.

48 minutes ago, eleceng said:

If someone could advise on this, I would be grateful. I will soon visit Bangkok for a week or two and will be commuting to the Lat Krabang area for business. I will be staying in Sukhumvit area and intend to commute to Lat Krabang estate in the moring and return at night on the Airport Link. Is this viable?

Not a problem at all assuming that you mean the Industrial Estate. Just take a taxi north on Rom Klao rd.

Allow a little extra time the first day and ensure someone writes your exact destination in Thai for the taxi driver.

8 hours ago, eleceng said:

Yes you'll be fine going out of town in the morning and back in the evening. If you look out of the window you'll no doubt see the seething masses of humanity going the opposite direction...