Going to Doi Inthanon

JAS21

We will drive up from BK on Sunday to Phitsanulok and then on to CM the next day. Main reason is to see the Inthanon  waterfalls. I have just found that there is an The Inthanon Golf and Natural Resort ... as we will have our clubs with us, thought we may look at staying there and playing ... any views on this place/course please ...also any problems in the area with too much water ... thanks

The summit of Doi Inthanon (you can drive all the way up) is surprisingly cool, so if you are traveling with anyone who is Thai then they may want to take a jumper with them.

The waterfalls should be pretty spectacular at the moment with all the rain we've have had. Don't miss the Mae Klang waterfall which on a left turn before the point were you pay your admission fee to the national park.

http://chiangmai.golf/chiangmai-inthanon-golf-natural-resort-2/

Make sure you take your Thai driving licence to get local prices which are very good this time of the year,call the course 053 267 115 to see what the packages are for hotel and rounds. If you are up for a few days Gold Canyon is not too far away. Both nice courses.

Edited by Thailand

26 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Make sure you take your Thai driving licence to get local prices which are very good this time of the year,call the course 053 267 115 to see what the packages are for hotel and rounds. If you are up for a few days Gold Canyon is not too far away. Both nice courses.

You WILL NOT get Thai prices regardless of what paperwork you carry, Yellow book or Thai licence, so forget it, and paying the foreigner price to visit a hill with nothing much there is a waste of money. You can visit the waterfall as mentioned earlier without paying to enter the park. However, it is pretty scruffy these days and the last time I visited, there was constant pestering from food hawkers.

Keep heading north east and take a pass on Interhnon, it is overated and overpriced.

10 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

You WILL NOT get Thai prices regardless of what paperwork you carry, Yellow book or Thai licence, so forget it, and paying the foreigner price to visit a hill with nothing much there is a waste of money. You can visit the waterfall as mentioned earlier without paying to enter the park. However, it is pretty scruffy these days and the last time I visited, there was constant pestering from food hawkers.

Keep heading north east and take a pass on Interhnon, it is overated and overpriced.

You are wrong.

7 hours ago, hakancnx said:

A month ago a friend and I bicycled up there. We are both 60 +

My friend show his pink ID card and got in for free.

Myself show my Thai driving license, but "my dai",  Had to pay full price, B 300. 

When I cycled up, I didn't even slow down to show any ID or attempt to pay.  Cyclists are merely riding the road.  Why pay a National Park fee?

9 hours ago, Thailand said:

Thanks ... at $150/round plus all the rest and Mrs J plays that is a NO NO. She tried to phone the BK number today ... waste of time. I still fancy staying there though.

Mrs J says we should look at Lanna Golf ... anyone play it. Also just above Phitsanulok there is Waterland ... that looks interesting ...

I have a Pink ID Card so will see. I have been there before and just got waved through because somebody knew somebody but we are on our own this time.

Edited by JAS21

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

You are wrong.

Not a matter of wrong or right, just a matter of opinion. But I also tend towards Doi Inthanon being overrated. Better, IMHO, to move on towards Mae Chaem and spend the day exploring a far more traditional Lanna district than you will find near Chiang Mai.  Go over to the gt-rider website where David has posted his meanderings in the area including some great temples and some traditional craft centers. Or keep going to Mae Nachon and spend the night along the river at Hot Coffee where the proceeds go to provide dorm facilities to hill kids who attend school away from their villages. If you want high mountains then go spend a night literally on the river up at Thaton and take a day to visit the second highest mountain in Thailand, Pha Hom Pok. Take the largely paved road ( 3037) from north of Fang looking for the brown sign (in Thai) noting "little village in the large forest".  Be sure to check your vehicles brakes, a very steep road.  Again, just my opinion. I mean Doi Inthanon is maybe worth one visit on a nice day in the slow season, it is a little nice if no crowds, but it is overrated.

2 minutes ago, Johpa said:

Not a matter of wrong or right, just a matter of opinion. But I also tend towards Doi Inthanon being overrated. Better, IMHO, to move on towards Mae Chaem and spend the day exploring a far more traditional Lanna district than you will find near Chiang Mai.  Go over to the gt-rider website where David has posted his meanderings in the area including some great temples and some traditional craft centers. Or keep going to Mae Nachon and spend the night along the river at Hot Coffee where the proceeds go to provide dorm facilities to hill kids who attend school away from their villages. If you want high mountains then go spend a night literally on the river up at Thaton and take a day to visit the second highest mountain in Thailand, Pha Hom Pok. Take the largely paved road ( 3037) from north of Fang looking for the brown sign (in Thai) noting "little village in the large forest".  Be sure to check your vehicles brakes, a very steep road.  Again, just my opinion. I mean Doi Inthanon is maybe worth one visit on a nice day in the slow season, it is a little nice if no crowds, but it is overrated.

Interesting .. thanks. We leave BK tomorrow, a day earlier than initially planned...stop at Phitsanulok tomprrow night... after that it's Chiang Mai Area and then back to Phit and then Phu Tub Beok and we must be back home on the 12th. 

We would like to get a couple of games of Golf in ... but not at stupid prices .... and when your wife plays it costs double .....

10 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks ... at $150/round plus all the rest and Mrs J plays that is a NO NO. She tried to phone the BK number today ... waste of time. I still fancy staying there though.

Mrs J says we should look at Lanna Golf ... anyone play it. Also just above Phitsanulok there is Waterland ... that looks interesting ...

I have a Pink ID Card so will see. I have been there before and just got waved through because somebody knew somebody but we are on our own this time.

Inthanon 053267116 :smile: for Thai residents is 1000baht for 18 holes including green fee, golf cart & caddy fee. Hotel is 1500baht including breakfast,I don't know if that is sharing.

If you are looking for cheaper golf then Sand Creek is 230baht including caddy fee. Many other courses,18, in and around Chiangmai at varying prices. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:49 PM, Formaleins said:

So negative :sad:.

I went there a few weeks ago and was happy to do so- well worthwhile. Lots of interesting things at the top, nice gardens in the king and queen place, interesting historical stupa etc etc. Only drawback was being on a tour and having to rush all the stops.

Yes, best waterfall is before entering the park. Some interesting looking restaurants outside the part too.

There was absolutely NO pestering from food hawkers when I was there.

17 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

When you arrive at Doi Inthanon, get your photo taken under the big brown wooden sign that says; The Highest Point In Thailand, just so you can proved you`ve been there, and that about it, not much else to see or do.

Di you do any research at all? What about the king's stupa and the king and queen place?

Also the nice gardens near the park accommodation.

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Inthanon 053267116 :smile: for Thai residents is 1000baht for 18 holes including green fee, golf cart & caddy fee. Hotel is 1500baht including breakfast,I don't know if that is sharing.

If you are looking for cheaper golf then Sand Creek is 230baht including caddy fee. Many other courses,18, in and around Chiangmai at varying prices. 

If 1,500 baht is per person ( NOT a Thai thing charging by the person ) stay elsewhere, as paying 3,000 in Thailand is just a waste of money for a decorated box with a bed. Speaking as one that has stayed in hotels many places in Thailand.

I have yet to stay in a hotel that tried to rip me off with a per person tarrif. Something that scum travel companies make huge profits off- charging customers at per person prices and paying for a double room at the room rate in LOS.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Thanks ...at those prices it's a goer ... Hot Coffee thing is out ...

Apparently we will be visiting Galae Restaurant and Huen Huey Kaew ...

In  Phitsanulok at D11 until tomorrow morning

Yep ...booked in there tomorrow 1500thb with breakfast ...booked direct.  Playing on Monday 'early' 1000thb as you said ... I just need to show my driving licence else 3000thb!!

Appreciate the info Mr Thailand

Edited by JAS21

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Thanks ...at those prices it's a goer ... Hot Coffee thing is out ...

Apparently we will be visiting Galae Restaurant and Huen Huey Kaew ...

In  Phitsanulok at D11 until tomorrow morning

Yep ...booked in there tomorrow 1500thb with breakfast ...booked direct.  Playing on Monday 'early' 1000thb as you said ... I just need to show my driving licence else 3000thb!!

Appreciate the info Mr Thailand

Enjoy, careful you don't miss the turn to the course off the main road! Traffic lights, left is Lamphun right is the course about 1k away.

If you get to Chom Thong you have gone to far. :smile:

On 9/2/2017 at 1:55 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Di you do any research at all? What about the king's stupa and the king and queen place?

Also the nice gardens near the park accommodation.

No research!!... We have been there before ... stayed in the so called VIP bungalows at the top one New Years Eve ... it was 'kin freezing!! Also years before that we did the lower Waterfalls... apparently we are doing  them again tomorrow after golf ... hope there will be plenty of water.

Done the Kings Project up there previous and also in a few other places... 

A spur of the moment thing ... Mrs J wanted to go to Phu Tub Beok again so though we would have a ride around, play a bit of golf and basically get away from BK for ten days or so. Hoping to limit PTB to three nights as accommodation there is somewhat basic :sad:. This time of the year is the cheaper time  ...

We have a plan... but it is a little fluid .....tomorrow evening we will be in CM and see where the plan might say next ...

thanks

Edited by JAS21

On 9/1/2017 at 2:22 PM, hakancnx said:

A month ago a friend and I bicycled up there. We are both 60 +

My friend show his pink ID card and got in for free.

Myself show my Thai driving license, but "my dai",  Had to pay full price, B 300. 

Holey Moley !! It's a figgin big hill to cycle .... and it's very definately UP all the way  5555  I'm impressed that you tackled it on bicycles. Can you recall how long it took from entry gate to summit ?

I really enjoyed the drive up, endless hairpins and some seriously steep drop offs. Had our picture taken at the summit sign board ... as you do.

Car brakes started to smell a bit coming down though.

Living in Buriram, where large ant nests are considered a change of elevation on topographic maps, Doi Inthanon was beaut fun and definately something different.

I've now crossed it off the "to do" list.

On 01/09/2017 at 1:00 PM, Thailand said:

You are wrong.

Well sort of

There are now pics up at the 'office' window saying who can get thai prices ....

59b6890a414e6_New_NotThai1.jpg.398609eca5dcc76be47ee1038de2c3d1.jpg

59b6890eac860_New_NotThai2.jpg.eca92da317ac9cc7195109ad40e25c80.jpg

However there appears to be a 'sort of' way around it ...

If you wife talks nicely to the lady at the first waterfall ... so we saw that one

And if at the Main Entrance you actually drive through and then you wife get out, walks back and says to the 'office' two Thais over sixty please, then you only pay for the car ..... 

So we visited two waterfalls for 30thb .,...

Edited by JAS21

On 9/1/2017 at 0:49 PM, Formaleins said:

Wrong. In spite of what people say, I've never had to pay the foreigner price anywhere. My wife always does all the talking and we always end up paying the Thai price.

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

Wrong. In spite of what people say, I've never had to pay the foreigner price anywhere. My wife always does all the talking and we always end up paying the Thai price.

You are so lucky ... At Sri Nakarin Dam Golf Course in January I had to pay the none Thai price green fee, previous times there was just one price... no matter what my wife tried it failed. Still very cheap though. About 100thb more than she paid. Think she paid 150thb.

Yesterday we played the army course in Phitsanulok at the one price. Earlier this year in the North East I had to pay extra (still very cheap) at an air force course .........  but again only about 100thb more

We can actually drive to Sri Nakarin Dam  from BK, play and drive back far cheaper than we can play in BK!  Silly thing is that if we stay their and my wife books, then we get half price ................

I will not 'pay' the Thai price anywhere ... but an exception for golf IF  it is cheap anyway ....... But I will not play the private courses that charge extra ...

Edited by JAS21