Bodies wash up on Bangladesh shore as Rohingya flee Myanmar

webfact

Saw a very big rally today protesting the treatment of the refugees. Bangladesh is super poor. And super broken. A real mess. But over the past week, one thing that has impressed me is how well this country seems to deal with multiple religions. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, etc., all mixing together with no signs of problems.

I've been to many mosques and have been welcomed with open arms and a big smile. These are probably the nicest people I've ever experienced. Country # 101 for me.

Now if they could do something about the trash and constant honking of horns! LOL

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Saw a very big rally today protesting the treatment of the refugees. Bangladesh is super poor. And super broken. A real mess. But over the past week, one thing that has impressed me is how well this country seems to deal with multiple religions. Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist, etc., all mixing together with no signs of problems.

I've been to many mosques and have been welcomed with open arms and a big smile. These are probably the nicest people I've ever experienced. Country # 101 for me.

Now if they could do something about the trash and constant honking of horns! LOL

Don't know about that. A number of recent attacks in Bangladesh on bloggers and other writers who espouse secular viewpoints.
See eg
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/23/asia/bangladesh--professor-hacked/index.html
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/07/asia/secular-bangladeshi-writer-murdered/
https://hinduexistence.org/2016/06/15/bdesh-college-lecturer-chopped-by-islamists-for-his-remarks-on-baghdadi-killing/
etc

Horrible situation.  Especially since it comes to a head after years and years of migration and porous borders. 

Our family in Thailand, having Vietnamese origins, is no stranger to tough times, though it pales in comparison to this stuff.  That dated back to the 1950's and 60's. In addition, I spent a year working in Thailand in 1979/1980 with war refugees from Laos and Cambodia. 

There are dozens of distinct languages and probably hundreds of different cultures if you take the village mentality into account.  Having a few major "religions" in the area seems to have only polarized things.  We in the west now have to throw around labels of "racism" for something that has been going around for many centuries, but we have no clue how to fix it.  We act as though we know what we are talking about.

5 hours ago, katana said:

There are nuts everywhere. I can only report what I see. And that's people walking around together and mixing easily. They don't seem to be the hard core religious fanatics as I've experienced in many other countries.

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It must have been a different Bangladesh to the one i visited, the one i went to was not like that :ph34r:

6 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Just back from the market. Most are Muslims. I've never been welcomed by so many vendors. Truly amazing.

Hi Craig3365,

It's only "amazing" because there's a lot of "media grooming" going on, and us westerners are being trained to expect the worst from Muslims, when in fact, surprise surprise, they are normal people just trying to make a living like you and I. I was in NYC on Sept. 11, 01  but far enough away to not be affected, ever since then I've been exposed to all the cr#p coming from whatever source,  perhaps 95% of muslims are not radical, but the more hype aimed against them the lower that number will become and more will fight back.

The Rohyngia probably never heard of Sept 11, and are just looking for help, and as we've heard from several of the sane people on this forum, they don't have many (if any) friends, mostly due to misconceptions, and are becoming the most vile pieces of human detritus because of our media machine... This is just so wrong, it makes me cry.