War with N Korea. Any impacts on Thailand?

ghworker2010

6 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Weapons of mass destruction all over again......do you really think the Americans wouldn't have systems in place in South Korea Japan and god knows where else to NOT be able to shoot down missiles?

The problem with defence missile system is.. that you can try it only once. Either it works, or not. If it doesn't work, everybody knows that it's, at the time, pretty much useless.. and you loose power and credibility.

Another thing is that the easiest time to shoot down an ICBM is just after it has been launched and still speeding up. After that, the missile goes so darn fast and high, it's really difficult to shoot it down anymore. During the phase the missile has already deployed it's warhead('s), it's still possible to stop the warheads.. but it's truly difficult due the sheer speed. 

And.. who says, North Korea has not already deployed multiple nuclear bombs inside of the countries it might have war with? Who knows there is not already 10 nuclear weapons placed inside of USA's cities, waiting to be detonated?

When one mixes nuclear weapons with guerilla warfare, there is very little one can do.

So, war between USA and North Korea is impossibly destructive. Not worth of the war or even the recently shown agressions from both sides. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

Let's see. 

1) Small accident / incident causes other party to start shelling 

2) As nobody is giving an inch away, this eventually leads to nuclear exchange

3) Depending of the winds, either China or Japan will be under the nuclear clouds.

4) China is not happy and takes their money away from USA

5) USA economy collapses, causing civil war

6) World economy almost collapses

7) Lot's of unrest around the world, Thailand included

.. and that's the positive version, without full scale nuclear war between big nuclear powers. That would be the end of life, even here in Thailand. https://tennessine.com/ScienceFunFacts/NuclearWar/NuclearWinter

I don't see points 4,5, and 6 happening.  China would be slitting their own throats doing that.  While they have 1/3 of the US debt, that also gives them access to markets because it depresses the Yuan's value.  So the purchasing power of the US would go to the toilet.  And of course the US would retaliate by imposing tariffs.  China could essentially say goodbye to a 1.962 Trillion USD per year market.  Oh, and by the way they hold 1.102 Trillion US debt.  And by doing it they devalue the dollar and make it so much easier for the US to pay off that 1.102 Trillion.

After being excluded from the US market, where will China make up the shortfall?  After all the Yuan would then rise in value making their exports more expensive meaning not as attractive to foreign markets.  And who would want such a trifling trading partner?  With China's burgeoning middle class especially, and the general market coming to appreciate modern comforts, how would the strong Yuan affect their newly gained lifestyle?

I'm probably all wrong about the above scenario and would love to have someone tell me why my thought process isn't correct...

And I don't think that there will be a civil war in the US; after all it would be too easy to blame the woes on foreigners.  If you don't think that could happen look at Germany during the inter-war years.

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The problem with defence missile system is.. that you can try it only once. Either it works, or not. If it doesn't work, everybody knows that it's, at the time, pretty much useless.. and you loose power and credibility.

Another thing is that the easiest time to shoot down an ICBM is just after it has been launched and still speeding up. After that, the missile goes so darn fast and high, it's really difficult to shoot it down anymore. During the phase the missile has already deployed it's warhead('s), it's still possible to stop the warheads.. but it's truly difficult due the sheer speed. 

And.. who says, North Korea has not already deployed multiple nuclear bombs inside of the countries it might have war with? Who knows there is not already 10 nuclear weapons placed inside of USA's cities, waiting to be detonated?

When one mixes nuclear weapons with guerilla warfare, there is very little one can do.

So, war between USA and North Korea is impossibly destructive. Not worth of the war or even the recently shown agressions from both sides. 

A sifi film here.....no the NK havent placed nuclear bombs inside the US, the US Navy would have ships in the area capable plus SK is just over the border and Japan is a stone throw away  the US have many options and would have a number of sites ready to go, plus if it got to that stage if NK let loose a garage of missiles i dare say the ones staionedin the countries i just mentioned would also have nuclear warheads and its quite possible NK would be destroyed hours before any hit the US, its sabre rattling at its best or worst depending how you see it...

9 minutes ago, oilinki said:

My understanding is that ICBMs are fairly easy to shoot down as long as detected at launch.  Few ICBMs deviate much from their path and with current technology the 10 minutes minimum in LEO is a millennium.  Yes, hitting it shortly after launch and using its own fuel to burn it up and deposit it hopefully on the belligerent country's own soil is nice but not always possible.

The good thing about catching them on the way down is that it's hard for them to change course.  Of course you only have about 1/6 of the time compared to launch phase to do it in though...

I've read a lot of articles on this subject and I'd be surprised if there was any military action there. All the top USA generals are very much against any military action in Korea. And Trump seems to have a lot of trust and respect for the generals. They actually seem to be the only people Trump respects.

11 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

A sifi film here.....no the NK havent placed nuclear bombs inside the US, the US Navy would have ships in the area capable plus SK is just over the border and Japan is a stone throw away  the US have many options and would have a number of sites ready to go, plus if it got to that stage if NK let loose a garage of missiles i dare say the ones staionedin the countries i just mentioned would also have nuclear warheads and its quite possible NK would be destroyed hours before any hit the US, its sabre rattling at its best or worst depending how you see it...

Doesn't take hours (try in less time than Dominos promises to deliver a pizza) for an ICBM to hit the US from Korea.

We may get a bit of ash blow over from a total annihilation of that maniac. Every one of his artillery pieces, factories , nuke sites AND his fat little butt has a big target on it. Who needs it? No one. But if he is crazy enough to pull the trigger he and his piss ant little country will be wiped off the map.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

I don't see points 4,5, and 6 happening.  China would be slitting their own throats doing that.  While they have 1/3 of the US debt, that also gives them access to markets because it depresses the Yuan's value.  So the purchasing power of the US would go to the toilet.  And of course the US would retaliate by imposing tariffs.  China could essentially say goodbye to a 1.962 Trillion USD per year market.  Oh, and by the way they hold 1.102 Trillion US debt.  And by doing it they devalue the dollar and make it so much easier for the US to pay off that 1.102 Trillion.

After being excluded from the US market, where will China make up the shortfall?  After all the Yuan would then rise in value making their exports more expensive meaning not as attractive to foreign markets.  And who would want such a trifling trading partner?  With China's burgeoning middle class especially, and the general market coming to appreciate modern comforts, how would the strong Yuan affect their newly gained lifestyle?

I'm probably all wrong about the above scenario and would love to have someone tell me why my thought process isn't correct...

And I don't think that there will be a civil war in the US; after all it would be too easy to blame the woes on foreigners.  If you don't think that could happen look at Germany during the inter-war years.

USA is a big player in the global market, but it's big only because it has always been a big global player. USA has 1/20 of world population. China has 1/5. 

The markets has already been moving towards Asia. Hence the answer to the constant complaints, why Thai baht is so high compared to the USD, Pound and EURO. The values of rise due influence and inflation. 

China has been sending their brightest and bravest to the west to find information. They have been all around us, for decades. I had a clipse of it, when my boss, IT manager of Nokia caught a Chinese worker from stealing data, took his access and ID badge away and physically removed him from the building. This was Finland and year 1999. 

We have been living in a way different world and war since the WWII. The ways we do war and information gathering is simply different today. 

And yes, the logical way for China to cripple already wounded USA is to remove their assets.. and at some point their people who are doing a lot of the sciences there, from the USA. 

The way USA is playing it's hands right now, is the way Soviet Union played it's hands when it became Russia and become subcritical power. The history repeats itself, or is there some other powers who learned from mistakes and wish USA to feel the same pain?

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

USA is a big player in the global market, but it's big only because it has always been a big global player. USA has 1/20 of world population. China has 1/5. 

The markets has already been moving towards Asia. Hence the answer to the constant complaints, why Thai baht is so high compared to the USD, Pound and EURO. The values of rise due influence and inflation. 

China has been sending their brightest and bravest to the west to find information. They have been all around us, for decades. I had a clipse of it, when my boss, IT manager of Nokia caught a Chinese worker from stealing data, took his access and ID badge away and physically removed him from the building. This was Finland and year 1999. 

We have been living in a way different world and war since the WWII. The ways we do war and information gathering is simply different today. 

And yes, the logical way for China to cripple already wounded USA is to remove their assets.. and at some point their people who are doing a lot of the sciences there, from the USA. 

The way USA is playing it's hands right now, is the way Soviet Union played it's hands when it became Russia and become subcritical power. The history repeats itself, or is there some other powers who learned from mistakes and wish USA to feel the same pain?

China's GDP per capita: 8,123.18 USD.  USA's GDP per capita: 57,466.79 USD.  So despite having ~4x the population, they can only muster ~1/7 of the GDP per capita.  So if both countries bought as many widgets as possible from a third country, the US would still be able to buy nearly 2x as many as China.

I have no problem with the markets moving towards Asia.  Let them get their time in the sun.  Allow them to catch up with the West in environmental concerns, human rights, etc.  Bring on the demand for Western products that creates jobs in the West.  That is a free and open market that doesn't move slavery (even if it's wage slavery) over to some foreign land instead of your own back yard.

I do wonder what sort of pushback the Chinese scientists would offer in your scenario.  After all getting a taste of the freedoms the West allows, along with the advantages of the different lifestyle, it would seem to me that at least a few (hopefully the best and brightest who aren't spies!) would choose to ask for amnesty that the US would be foolish not to offer with caveats.

Your discussion of the USA playing its hands right now has me interested; could you provide some examples of what you are talking about?  Thank you.

14 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

My understanding is that ICBMs are fairly easy to shoot down as long as detected at launch.  Few ICBMs deviate much from their path and with current technology the 10 minutes minimum in LEO is a millennium.  Yes, hitting it shortly after launch and using its own fuel to burn it up and deposit it hopefully on the belligerent country's own soil is nice but not always possible.

The good thing about catching them on the way down is that it's hard for them to change course.  Of course you only have about 1/6 of the time compared to launch phase to do it in though...

ICBM are easy targets within seconds, they have been launched. After that the missiles gain so much speed, it's really hard to target the missiles. 

The flight time of well function ICBM is about 25 minutes from one continent to another. It is also the response time for full scale nuclear war. 

That is why these wide spreaded beasts, which have been deployed all around the world are so damn dangerous. When one flies off, there is no time for reasonable thinking, there is only pre-determined plans for militaries for each occasions. 

The WW3 is over in just 30 minutes. After that, the nuclear submarines may or may not launch their missiles, which is about 50% of the whole nuclear capacity. 

After all that, we the common people, around the world are trying to survive the nuclear winter, the collapse of our societies.. until we eventually die. 

That's the Nuclear war 101 for you. There has been a good reason, why nuclear weapons were never used after the USA 'bombings' of Japan. Those were not bombings, those were tourchings. 

5 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

China's GDP per capita: 8,123.18 USD.  USA's GDP per capita: 57,466.79 USD.  So despite having ~4x the population, they can only muster ~1/7 of the GDP per capita.  So if both countries bought as many widgets as possible from a third country, the US would still be able to buy nearly 2x as many as China.

I have no problem with the markets moving towards Asia.  Let them get their time in the sun.  Allow them to catch up with the West in environmental concerns, human rights, etc.  Bring on the demand for Western products that creates jobs in the West.  That is a free and open market that doesn't move slavery (even if it's wage slavery) over to some foreign land instead of your own back yard.

I do wonder what sort of pushback the Chinese scientists would offer in your scenario.  After all getting a taste of the freedoms the West allows, along with the advantages of the different lifestyle, it would seem to me that at least a few (hopefully the best and brightest who aren't spies!) would choose to ask for amnesty that the US would be foolish not to offer with caveats.

Your discussion of the USA playing its hands right now has me interested; could you provide some examples of what you are talking about?  Thank you.

You are proving my point. The lesser educated people of the USA has enjoyed highly for the globalisation. Now, when you are going to go back to you violent cocoon, it's going to change. 

USA power over the other countries is vanishing. It's mostly a good thing, as we, the rest of the world wish to live peaceful life. 

You seem to care only about yourself and your own well being. Well, that's not how the most developed world thinks like. You'd be lost in a modern society, if you ever moved to live in to one. 

For me you are not the one who represent the freedoms, but who represents the responsibilities. That sounds communism to me. 

Yes, extreme capitalism and extreme communism are pretty much the same thing. 

34 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Doesn't take hours (try in less time than Dominos promises to deliver a pizza) for an ICBM to hit the US from Korea.

USA is not afraid of ICBM's from North Korea. USA is afraid of ICBM's coming from Russia... which is a good thing to be afraid of.

29 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

Yes Mate not to long and the Yanks are on the ball....what they dont shoot down most wont hit there target cause the NK isn't up to the same standard as them meanwhile once the Nk shoot off the Yanks will have a reason to wipe out every god dam city in NK then an almighty invasion will begin....its Iraq all over again....its the boy who cried wolf once to often a few of us dont believe western press after GW Bush and weapons of mass destruction...

Cuban missile crisis of the early 60's. Iraq...biggest army outside of China US and Russia at the time do i need to go on? Think about it...You can believe China isn't interested in a war if it got close they would engineer the overthrow of the NK dictator, they dont want a US allied nation on there border as the US didn't want Cuba under Russian influence during the cold war...

Sabre rattling bonds nations especially when your political power base is under threat, sells papers too and it arms nations to the teeth, good for business if your in the munitions business, do i think there is a threat there? yes i do, do i think it will come to a war....possibly and why? because the Americans are broke they print money to stay afloat they owe a fortune and dont want to balance there books because it means they will loose there power base, as we have seen time and time again empires do not last they all crumble and so will the American one its just a matter off time, does it mean it will come to a war? not necessarily but it did and the Americans lost it would wipe out dept and retool the nation if they won everyone gets to pay them the cost of the war...win win no matter how you look at it...simplified of course but thats the crutch of it...and you my friend are just a pawn in the game .....

I don't see the USA doing much right away in the event of a nuclear launch  from NK with the exception of going after the known bunkers in NK with small nuclear explosives.

Otherwise, I think they would try their best to shoot them down and hope that some failed on their own. NK can't have more than about a dozen missiles currently, and probably only about 4 would actually hit their marks.

For the 4 cities or so that were hit it would be a disaster, but there would be no nuclear winter or doomsday scenarios. Launching any kind of nuclear retaliatory strike risks bringing China and Russia into the war, and that they can't have.

The end result is the Chinese occupy North and a destroyed South Korea and Kim Jung would be no more. China would never allow the USA to occupy NK and everyone knows it. It would be a new, irradiated Chinese run vassal state. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

You are proving my point. The lesser educated people of the USA has enjoyed highly for the globalisation. Now, when you are going to go back to you violent cocoon, it's going to change. 

USA power over the other countries is vanishing. It's mostly a good thing, as we, the rest of the world wish to live peaceful life. 

You seem to care only about yourself and your own well being. Well, that's not how the most developed world thinks like. You'd be lost in a modern society, if you ever moved to live in to one. 

For me you are not the one who represent the freedoms, but who represents the responsibilities. That sounds communism to me. 

Yes, extreme capitalism and extreme communism are pretty much the same thing. 

Whoah, you sure veered off course here.  As I didn't call you a Russian Swede, why did you find it incumbent to insinuate that the US is full of violent and stupid people who only succeed because of the rest of the world?  Didn't your concentration camps during WWII have a nearly 30% death rate?  Sounds much more violent than what happened during the unfortunate internments in the US.

I keep hearing about how reduction of US power is a good thing because the rest of the world will be better off and things will be peaceful.  And yet looking at history things were much worst before the US's ascension to power.

I don't know why you think I care about only myself and my own well being.  I think the quote below clearly states that I am against using other countries to produce cheap things (anti-wage slavery) whilst destroying theirs (and the rest of the world's) environment.

Let them get their time in the sun.  Allow them to catch up with the West in environmental concerns, human rights, etc.

I don't understand how that could be considered wanting them to live in a developed world.  Perhaps I am just the 'lesser educated' American.

Your assertions about my 'representing' is laughable.  I want people to have the freedom to improve themselves.  I want people to have the freedom to live their lives as they choose.  I want people to have the freedom to decide how their countries are ran.  I want people to have the freedom to pursue happiness.

However freedom should not infringe on other people's freedoms.  Should a company or business owner have the freedom to strip mine an area using carcinogenic chemicals next to a school?  Should the US have the freedom to dump spent nuclear fuel in the North Sea?  Personally I don't think so because for both of those examples the 'freedoms'  exercised impinge on other people's freedoms.

Now perhaps your post is due to language barriers.  I speak Spanish fluently and am still cautious as something as simple as subtle conjugations can have an enormous impact on the message.  Combined with the late hour and possibility of adult beverages influencing posts I will not take offense and tell you in all sincerity that it appears you misunderstood my post based on your reply.

53 minutes ago, oilinki said:

ICBM are easy targets within seconds, they have been launched. After that the missiles gain so much speed, it's really hard to target the missiles. 

The flight time of well function ICBM is about 25 minutes from one continent to another. It is also the response time for full scale nuclear war. 

That is why these wide spreaded beasts, which have been deployed all around the world are so damn dangerous. When one flies off, there is no time for reasonable thinking, there is only pre-determined plans for militaries for each occasions. 

The WW3 is over in just 30 minutes. After that, the nuclear submarines may or may not launch their missiles, which is about 50% of the whole nuclear capacity. 

After all that, we the common people, around the world are trying to survive the nuclear winter, the collapse of our societies.. until we eventually die. 

That's the Nuclear war 101 for you. There has been a good reason, why nuclear weapons were never used after the USA 'bombings' of Japan. Those were not bombings, those were tourchings. 

I could be wrong; but the longer flight time means that you have more data about its flight path.  If you've ever seen the Phalanx LPWS system work, you'll know what I'm talking about.  Used against mortars, it radar tracks it and catches it after the arc.  I.E. when it is coming down.  Very successful.

Throw up a bunch of proximity detonating munitions in its path an watch the fireworks.  Of course dealing with the spread of the missile components is bad.

43 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Might not be a bad thing wipe out most of the population of the world and start again. Cant do any worse than than we have already done to it.

The problem is that only the rich <deleted> have their nuclear bunkers and can you imagine a world of only them after wiping out the rest of us?

43 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Yes Mate not to long and the Yanks are on the ball....what they dont shoot down most wont hit there target cause the NK isn't up to the same standard as them meanwhile once the Nk shoot off the Yanks will have a reason to wipe out every god dam city in NK then an almighty invasion will begin....its Iraq all over again....its the boy who cried wolf once to often a few of us dont believe western press after GW Bush and weapons of mass destruction...

Cuban missile crisis of the early 60's. Iraq...biggest army outside of China US and Russia at the time do i need to go on? Think about it...You can believe China isn't interested in a war if it got close they would engineer the overthrow of the NK dictator, they dont want a US allied nation on there border as the US didn't want Cuba under Russian influence during the cold war...

Sabre rattling bonds nations especially when your political power base is under threat, sells papers too and it arms nations to the teeth, good for business if your in the munitions business, do i think there is a threat there? yes i do, do i think it will come to a war....possibly and why? because the Americans are broke they print money to stay afloat they owe a fortune and dont want to balance there books because it means they will loose there power base, as we have seen time and time again empires do not last they all crumble and so will the American one its just a matter off time, does it mean it will come to a war? not necessarily but it did and the Americans lost it would wipe out dept and retool the nation if they won everyone gets to pay them the cost of the war...win win no matter how you look at it...simplified of course but thats the crutch of it...and you my friend are just a pawn in the game .....

Yeah man.  The press has gone to hell.  Instead of informing people about events they are leveraging their platform to influence.  This is around the world unfortunately.  Couple with a desire to make money it's absolutely insane.  You essentially have to watch both wacky left and the right and glean through their opinions and alt-truths to determine what is actually going on.  

As an American I think they should reduce the debt.  Not clear it all out as that's, according to how I understand it, not good either.  Having other nations holding parts of your debt make them interested in ensuring your economy's survival.

I don't know about other nations paying for US wars; large amounts of debt from WWII were forgiven.  Even now the US gives money (bribes?) other countries to partake in the Iraq and Afghanistan misadventures.

43 minutes ago, Monomial said:

I don't see the USA doing much right away in the event of a nuclear launch  from NK with the exception of going after the known bunkers in NK with small nuclear explosives.

Otherwise, I think they would try their best to shoot them down and hope that some failed on their own. NK can't have more than about a dozen missiles currently, and probably only about 4 would actually hit their marks.

For the 4 cities or so that were hit it would be a disaster, but there would be no nuclear winter or doomsday scenarios. Launching any kind of nuclear retaliatory strike risks bringing China and Russia into the war, and that they can't have.

The end result is the Chinese occupy North and a destroyed South Korea and Kim Jung would be no more. China would never allow the USA to occupy NK and everyone knows it. It would be a new, irradiated Chinese run vassal state. 

I would believe that a launch at a US target would coincide with the shelling of Seoul.  Trying to evacuate 10 million people or getting them to bunkers is impossible.  Just look at Houston with its only ~6.5 million and the evacuations its tried to undertake.  The time it would take for the US to decide to go after those artillery bunkers would give NK way too much time to inflict incalculable damage against SK.

I do wonder how 'clean' the nukes that NK have.  After all the 'dirty' inefficient Fat Boy only used ~2% of the uranium in its casing; the rest was spread as waste and people are now living in Hiroshima (apparently it only took 10 years for the population to return to pre-war levels).  It just makes me wonder how 'irradiated' a nuked country would be.

6 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

We may get a bit of ash blow over from a total annihilation of that maniac. Every one of his artillery pieces, factories , nuke sites AND his fat little butt has a big target on it. Who needs it? No one. But if he is crazy enough to pull the trigger he and his piss ant little country will be wiped off the map.

I remember seeing US braggarts saying they would turn Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan or whoevers country was responsible for the attacks in New York 9/11 to glass...never happened.

NK and USA same thing...will not happen. MAD is still in effect but with different countries. 

India and Pakistan are both well nuked and hostile but they aren't stupid.

The biggest risk IMHO is if crazy muslims get a nuke, or access to a nuke......and that could happen anywhere, USA,Europe,Asia etc Some trusted well known dude who goes fundamental......party time

4 hours ago, doggie1955 said:

China would shit if SK & NK became one...

Really...I think China would see this as the best outcome, Assuming you mean NK embraces Sk capitalism. Not the other way around

It would save China billions in  support of a dodgy administration they don't like.

Edited by tryasimight

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

Most of the radioactivity reduces to minimum within 48 hours. It's not a real issue, when it comes to the nuclear war and it's aftermath. 

It's just what people are afraid, as we can't see or feel it... at first.

That really depends on the fissionable material in the warhead.

What are NK allegedly using?

Many things go BOOM

2 hours ago, Foozool said:

lets see who will be the most idiot to pull the trigger.

I know one crazy man who loves wars, Mr Trump. 

But I guess the whole world will be affected by this war economically. 

Which wars has Mr Trump started?

None to my knowledge.

Edited by tryasimight

41 minutes ago, dave_boo said:

The problem is that only the rich <deleted> have their nuclear bunkers and can you imagine a world of only them after wiping out the rest of us?

Wouldnt reallycare would we as we be dust?

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Wouldnt reallycare would we as we be dust?

LOL, you're right.  That's essentially the same thing I told the wife about the seemingly non-stop coverage of the two students who crashed into the river and weren't recovered in what was deemed a timely fashion.  Sure was a large amount of attachment for a Buddhist nation.

You need to educate yourself about Trump speeches before he became president. If you don't know him enough why do you ask me what war?❗️????

do some research and get to know him. Especially about his interest regarding using nuclear wapons. 

You will see what he is. 

Edited by Foozool

Assuming you are talking to me......yes i watched a few of the Dons performances before he was elected.

Big mouth etc etc.....like all wannabees.

And like all wannabees they sh!t themselves when they are actually POTUS. Then wiser heads advise and they grow into the job. That's what I'm seeing from afar.

Maybe I'm wrong...who knows?