What can be learned from Bangkok?

rooster59

What can be learned from Bangkok?

f43f49332a783c7ebe63738bf15abdc0.jpeg

Canadian journalist and entrepreneur Tyler Brule waxes lyrical on the charms of Bangkok

Tyler Brule, editor-in-chief of Monocle magazine and a columnist for the UK’s Financial Times, recently suggested Bangkok when asked to name a good place “to get a read on the world.”  In his view, Bangkok’s got everything you need for a business – a merging of various markets, strong trend uptake from the region, good design scene, smart start-ups and the general feeling of a city that’s on the up. Here are some of his observations on the city we all love to hate from a piece that appeared in the Financial Times:

On hospitality

“Bangkok has the most diverse range of hotel projects in the world. From massive new developments by Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental to smaller-scale properties from the likes of Rosewood, the city is awash with talent and ideas for bringing lobbies, suites, bars and cafes to life.

“At the same time there are all kinds of experiments in co-working spaces, dorm-style inns and smaller-scale hostels that make western cities feel somewhat sleepy.”

On retail

“Spend a bit of time pushing a trolley around a Bangkok food hall controlled by one of the main retail groups (Siam Piwat, Central and Mall Group) and you’ll be depressed when you return home and have to do the same in a Waitrose, Kroger, Wegmans or even Harrods. The Thais at the top end of the market seem to have taken all their foodie experiences from their years studying in the US, Australia and the UK and mixed them with all their ski holidays in Japan. The result is a hybrid approach to grocery retailing that mixes familiar fast-moving consumer goods brands with rare butter from Hokkaido and local bounty. Central’s recent overhaul of its Chidlom food hall should be high on the list of anyone with shares in a grocery store group or who has aspirations of opening their own delicatessen.”

On creativity

“If first prize for ingenuity and creativity goes to the Japanese then the Thais get the runner-up award for their unique approach to architecture, fashion, interiors and industrial design. The relaunched design foundation TCDC is a clever catalyst for stimulating the next generation to consider taking up a post in the creative industries. Bangkok’s inner suburbs are also bursting with ateliers and workshops that can put patterns and prototypes into full production in an afternoon.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Travel_log/30325401

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-09-02

i love it when foreign writers look out the window of their taxi driving from the airport, check into the Sofitel in Bangkok, order room service, leave the next morning and then write a fluff piece about how great Bangkok is.

Try standing in the sun for just five minutes in April. Then get back to us. 

Edited by NCC1701A

I love it when there is a positive article about Thailand and 'some' posters are tripping over themselves to respond with something negative... 

I for one think Bangkok is an excellent city for foreigners to be in...  

Price wise, diversity, amazing range and diversity restaurants at a good price, cost of getting around, the way we are treated (IMO very positively, or with the same indifference Thai's treat each other).

Plenty to do for small kids (play areas etc), good international schools, ease of traveling to other amazing south east asian countries... beaches etc... 

The only negatives are the Traffic, cost of imported luxuries (wine & cheese) and cost of decent beer... the heat can be oppressive and Safety is a major issue for me (as a father).

In Balance when compared to many other international cities Bangkok offers' the best bang for the buck. When compared to other cities in Thailand it simply has more to offer someone in their 40's with a family.... 

Edited by richard_smith237

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I love it when there is a positive article about Thailand and 'some' posters are tripping over themselves to respond with something negative... 

I for one think Bangkok is an excellent city for foreigners to be in...  

Price wise, diversity, amazing range and diversity restaurants at a good price, cost of getting around, the way we are treated (IMO very positively, or with the same indifference Thai's treat each other).

Plenty to do for small kids (play areas etc), good international schools, ease of traveling to other amazing south east asian countries... beaches etc... 

The only negatives are the Traffic, cost of imported luxuries (wine & cheese) and cost of decent beer... the heat can be oppressive and Safety is a major issue for me (as a father).

In Balance when compared to many other international cities Bangkok offers' the best bang for the buck. When compared to other cities in Thailand it simply has more to offer someone in their 40's with a family.... 

I think it realism rather than Negativity

"Good place to start a business"

We can all see the wreckage of what happened in 97, German company holding a Thai plane so Thais pay the money they were deemed to owe from arbitration, Corruption, Military Junta, No sign of real democracy.Possibility of protest and street violence between army and protesters, change government, another Military  coup, and round and round and round we go, no stability at all, in fact, I wouldn't open a bar let alone invest millions

Retail

Food, I'll give than one

Other, The possibility of buying snide, shoes, trainers, T shirts, shirts, watches, diamonds and every thing else.

Creativity

I wikied this

Stem cell amniotic Fluid, I think the mean they discovered it in Thailand after it was discovered somewhere else

Embola Antibodies (Basically a blood test taken from someone with Ebola)

The most significant thing after that is the creation of Red Bull. After that, it's Tuk-Tuks and Thai boxing

19 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

We can all see the wreckage of what happened in 97, German company holding a Thai plane so Thais pay the money they were deemed to owe from arbitration, Corruption, Military Junta, No sign of real democracy.Possibility of protest and street violence between army and protesters, change government, another Military  coup, and round and round and round we go, no stability at all, in fact, I wouldn't open a bar let alone invest millions

Retail

Food, I'll give than one

Other, The possibility of buying snide, shoes, trainers, T shirts, shirts, watches, diamonds and every thing else.

Creativity

I wikied this

Stem cell amniotic Fluid, I think the mean they discovered it in Thailand after it was discovered somewhere else

The most significant thing after that is the creation of Red Bull. After that, it's Tuk-Tuks and Thai boxing

I agree with much of your Intelligent and balanced input where others would take any opportunity to 'bash' when the thread commences on a positive note.... 

I agree with realism and many of Thailands Criticism are realistic and balanced observations, however, other points often made by some are simply bias and unbalanced opportunities to spout negativity.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with much of your Intelligent and balanced input where others would take any opportunity to 'bash' when the thread commences on a positive note.... 

I agree with realism and many of Thailands Criticism are realistic and balanced observations, however, other points often made by some are simply bias and unbalanced opportunities to spout negativity.

I would agree. Not everything is great but I reckon most if it is good. I have been to many places people rave over and never really saw the appeal. In Thailand, and I have been here over 30 years, things have changed but that is Normal. I wouldn't want to live elsewhere. Here the weather the food is great. Yes it gets hot. If you can't take it stay indoors. Cost depend's on what you want for your way of life.

Edited by gandalf12

5 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I would agree. Not everything us great but I reckon most if it is good. I gave been to many places people rave over and never really saw the appeal. In Thailand, and I have been here over 30 years, things gave changed but that is Normal. I wouldn't want to live elsewhere. Here the weather the food is great. Yes it gets hit. If you can't take it stay indoors. Cost deep d's on what you want for your way of life.

I love Pra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya where I live

Edited by Dave67

18 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Retail

Food, I'll give than one

Creativity

I wikied this

Thailand, the hub of discovering something that was discovered by another country.  "No Sir, not copy, make in Thiland"