What do I feed a duck.

Let it roam around the garden, ducks eat slugs and snails and other grubs.... thumbsup.gif ... maybe even puppy dog tails! whistling.gif

The pellets are pretty cheap .... perhaps add to the above diet! wink.png

^^^^THIS^^^^

They are quite amazing to watch. They will clear your garden of insects in no time. But don't leave him out overnight. And do keep a baby pool of water for him.

• Like 2

But don't leave him out overnight. And do keep a baby pool of water for him.

Done the water, don't see what I can do about 'out at night'.

attachicon.gif2014-10-31 17.52.02.jpg

Ducks are so much more fun than chickens. I bet you are going to wind up liking that darned thing ;-)

As was mentioned, some protection is crucial. With a large pond, ducks can swim towards the middle for protection but on land without a coop they are...well...I think thats where the expression of sitting ducks comes from.

I bet you will want a second within a month !

Cheers

• Like 1

But don't leave him out overnight. And do keep a baby pool of water for him.

Done the water, don't see what I can do about 'out at night'.

attachicon.gif2014-10-31 17.52.02.jpg

Ducks are so much more fun than chickens. I bet you are going to wind up liking that darned thing ;-)

As was mentioned, some protection is crucial. With a large pond, ducks can swim towards the middle for protection but on land without a coop they are...well...I think thats where the expression of sitting ducks comes from.

I bet you will want a second within a month !

Cheers

Pretty sure "sitting duck" has to do with duck hunting, and shooting a duck that's sitting on the water (easy and unsportsman-like), vs. a duck on the wing. I could be wrong, maybe there's a Robertson in the house that can correct me.

Hahaha!

Feed it.....Rice? wai2.gif

I hear there's tons upon ton of spoiled rice in Thailand these days. thumbsup.gif

Maybe find a bakery or donut shop that tosses out old bread stuff.

Oh yeah, I'd name him Daffy.

Edited by jaywalker

Ducks are easy to look after and good fun.Depending on age the first 3 weeks they must be kept warm and given decent "duck food"..buy anywhere.For the next month or so as said above rice ,shells, crushed fruit until the fatten up a little and then the will eat almost anything.We have lots of frogs so hopefully that should keep ours going....One thing...not bread...surprise....We have just over 1000 on our wee farm and although I tried to give them all individual names..eventually.gave up so its PiBoon...nung,song sam,sey,...ha...etc ....quack tae go...

Edited by Rinrada
  • Like 1

Getting bit out here..no time to read all these great posts..

They enjoy the garden hose..quack..baby pool w fresh water..small basin in cage ok..but my neighbor gave two ducks to neighborhood coffee farm where they run wild..they are so cute, I recognized them instantly.

They love chicken feed..dsily..for an egg each, every day. That's why couples are nice, or more.They also like lettuce, read and...chicken bones..childrens do also..go figure..dod I say how cute they are..

Good luck..

cannot correct typos..windows phone..go figure!

Aloha