Guide To Restaurants In Isaan

buadhai

I have this half-baked idea of putting up some sort of web page that would be a simple listing of restaurants in various cities in the northeast that would be of interest to the expat community. The motivation is based on our inability to locate such restaurants during our road trips in the region. The guidebooks I've looked at are not much help as they are out of date and quite incomplete. (For example, the omissions in the Korat section of the Lonely Planet guide are both numerous and inexplicable.)

Of course, such a project would require a lot of help from my fellow Isaan residents.

Would such a thing be of any use?

If so, would you be willing to help by providing me with restaurant information?

TIA

I have this half-baked idea of putting up some sort of web page that would be a simple listing of restaurants in various cities in the northeast that would be of interest to the expat community. The motivation is based on our inability to locate such restaurants during our road trips in the region. The guidebooks I've looked at are not much help as they are out of date and quite incomplete. (For example, the omissions in the Korat section of the Lonely Planet guide are both numerous and inexplicable.)

Of course, such a project would require a lot of help from my fellow Isaan residents.

Would such a thing be of any use?

If so, would you be willing to help by providing me with restaurant information?

TIA

It's a great idea, but there are so many. Just in & around Surin alone there are 40 to 50 good restaurants. Probably most of them would be termed as excellent. Or do you mean Falang style restaurants. We have six in Surin now, with another two Thai restaurants thast have Falang connections ( no pun intended) I am fully expecting in another year or so, to have a lot more. Also there are Falang places along the routes that a lot of people don't know or have never heard of.

The English Pizza place in Lahan Sai,English restaurant in Nong Din Dang,The Country Inn, beween Nong Ki and Nang Rong, Time Out Restaurant and Fishing Park,between Prasat and Prachonchai, to name just a few. Let me know what info you want Mike and I'll go round the other places and spread the word.

I guess my first thought is, "why so many in Surin and so few in Korat?"

:o

The emphasis would be on farang food restaurants, but I would also include Thai food restaurants of note. There are several here in Korat that are worth visiting but are not well known, at least in the farang community.

Let's see what sort of response I get here. If it's positive I'll start putting something together.

I don't want it to be a review site; just a list with name, type of food, location, contact information and web site, if any.

I guess my first thought is, "why so many in Surin and so few in Korat?"

:D

The emphasis would be on farang food restaurants, but I would also include Thai food restaurants of note. There are several here in Korat that are worth visiting but are not well known, at least in the farang community.

Let's see what sort of response I get here. If it's positive I'll start putting something together.

I don't want it to be a review site; just a list with name, type of food, location, contact information and web site, if any.

Mine too! :o !

Great idea Mike. :o

I travel through Isaan probably 6 or 7 times a year, and having a list of farang restaurants would be most useful.

Also a list of guesthouses and their locations/phone numbers would also be good for the infrequent traveller like me.

I'll probably just start out with restaurants. Seems like I'll have my hands full with that.

Don't expect too many bells and whistles; just a simple list arranged up by either city or province.

Don't forget a "How to get to" from the nearest town centre or such.

Edited by tso310

I'll probably just start out with restaurants. Seems like I'll have my hands full with that.

Don't expect too many bells and whistles; just a simple list arranged up by either city or province.

GPS coordinates would probably be a plus in this day & time..... :o

GPS coordinates would probably be a plus in this day & time..... :D

GoogleEarth coordinates? :o

GPS coordinates would probably be a plus in this day & time..... :D

GoogleEarth coordinates? :o

Nah - real coordinates - the kind you find on maps - and on your GPS (global positioning system) device.

Great idea.

I like to name 2 in Roi-et City.

1. White Elephant

70 m from Roi-et City hotel

Falang food mainly European. Very friendly service, special wishes always :o accepted. Snoeker, dart, UBC, free broaband Internet, Taxi service.

2. 101 Restaurant

50 m from Petcharat Garden Hotel, near all the entertainment.

Elegant 300 places with live music. Reasonable prices, special wishes welcome .

The place where Thai and Falang go.

OK, it looks like there's enough interest to make this a viable project.

Please post or PM or e-mail me your suggested spots.

I'll include everything I get.

But, remember, please include as much info as possible. I need to know:

The Name

The Location, including some sort of "how to get there"

The type of food served (farang, Thai, French, etc.)

Contact information: phone, e-mail

Web site, if any

Anything else that would help someone to eat or not eat there.

Thanks to all for your replies.

I'll try to have a sample page up in a few days. Watch here for details....

:o

Lampard

Your help to name some real good restaurants in Surin would be appreciated. Whenever we travel there we run into some unexpected situations like falang menue cards but no falang food available, cooking thai food takes more than 1 hour, complete wrong menues delivered :o , no ice available etc

PS: We always asked local teachers, headmasters, falangs on site where is the best restaurant in town. Maybe asked the wrong people.

Great idea.

I like to name 2 in Roi-et City.

1. White Elephant 

70 m from Roi-et City hotel

Falang food mainly European. Very friendly service, special wishes always :o  accepted. Snoeker, dart, UBC, free broaband Internet, Taxi service.

2. 101  Restaurant  

50 m from Petcharat Garden Hotel, near all the entertainment.

Elegant 300 places with live music. Reasonable prices, special wishes welcome .

The place where Thai and Falang go.

roi et: can you supply contact information for either of these places?

Also, what do you mean by: "Elegant 300 places"?

Have a look at the prototype page for what I have in mind.

thanks

The best guide I have ever used is from my local Campaign Fro Real Ale group, which I am not an active member.

http://www.aaa-camra.org.uk/locations.html

The principles of what they are doing are not too dissimilar from what you want to do and I think its a really easy guide to use, which we do during the summer. When you click on the post code it pulls up a map which you do need for some of the more remote pubs. Give it a look it might give you some ideas.

The best guide I have ever used is from my local Campaign Fro Real Ale group, which I am not an active member.

http://www.aaa-camra.org.uk/locations.html

The principles of what they are doing are not too dissimilar from what you want to do and I think its a really easy guide to use, which we do during the summer. When you click on the post code it pulls up a map which you do need for some of the more remote pubs. Give it a look it might give you some ideas.

That is a nice site. Makes me long for some real ale....

I'd love to be able to do something like that, but it's a bit ambitious for me. Creating all those image-maps would take more time than I'm willing to devote to this project.

Anyway, what I really need now is suggestions for restaurants to include.

So far, I've only received the two from roi et....

I'll get together with the F*t G*t later today and we'll give it some thought. I'm sure we can come up with a half decent list if it's only in and around Surin.

I'll get together with the F*t G*t later today and we'll give it some thought. I'm sure we can come up with a half decent list if it's only in and around Surin.

Come on Yorkie; I know I'm a fat git. No need to hide the fact with your bloody *chang* stars.

Thanks to both of you! I look forward to whatever you can come up with, once the insults have settle down.

I'll put together a list on Korat.

I suppose it will be somewhat valuable even if that's all we start out with.

I'm still fiddling with the format, so it will be a few days before I get something more or less final posted.

Come on Yorkie; I know I'm a fat git. No need to hide the fact with your bloody *chang* stars.

mrbelly.jpg

Guess who?