10-year-old 'allowed To Drive Locally'

george

10-year-old 'allowed to drive locally'

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- A 10-year-old boy is spending his school holidays helping his family's business by delivering food to customers in the Northeast town of Nakhon Ratchasima - by van.

Police said it should be "all right" if the boy drove "around his own neighbourhood", but main roads were definitely off limits.

Satang Semamon, a fourth-grader at Anubal Nakhon Ratchasima School, has been driving a small Suzuki van to help deliver food and sweets to local grocery shops and neighbours every morning. He also helps his food vendor parents by driving the van to deliver food at Suranaree School, under his 41-year-old father's guidance - each morning during school time.

Satang said he was taught to drive by his father when he was nine.

The boy also urged other kids to help their parents whenever they were free and not to waste their time on "vices" such as "drugs or computer games".

His father, Suthep, said he taught the boy to drive upon his son's request. He thought it was a good idea for the boy to learn the traffic laws early.

However, Suthep said he did not allow his son to drive alone or for a long distance because he was not big enough and had no driver's licence yet.

He praised his boy for being a "good, diligent, and economic kid".

Muang Nakhon Ratchasima deputy commander Pol Lt Col Prasit Premkamol said allowing children aged 10 years old to get behind a wheel was illegal, according to traffic laws.

However, this was a case of a "good kid" helping his parents and the boy only drove around his neighbourhood. Thus, permission could be granted, the officer said, adding that Satang must not be allowed on main roads with heavy traffic or to drive long distances.

-- The Nation 2007-03-28

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Relax, this used to happen in the U.S.A. all the time. My old boss was allowed by a local judge in a rural area to drive his family's car at age 7 because his father was disabled. That was years ago, of course.

You have to look at in context of the country, and remember this is Thailand.

:o I'll get my eight year old started then. What a ridiculous notion, what next? 12 year old motorbike taxi drivers? 9 year old petrol pump attendants. When an accident happens (and I do think it's inevitable, who decides what a major road is) and the insurance is void the policeman who made this ludicrous decision will be looking sick.

Relax, this used to happen in the U.S.A. all the time. My old boss was allowed by a local judge in a rural area to drive his family's car at age 7 because his father was disabled. That was years ago, of course.

You have to look at in context of the country, and remember this is Thailand.

The laws of physics and the effect of metal and glass on flesh and bone don't care if it's Thailand. Just look at all the news stories over the years on this forum about young kids killed while driving and the parents wondering how this could happen.

It happens when people make excuses.

The idea that there is a 'right' age for starting different activities is downright ageist and ridiculously authoritarian.

Admittedly, it is prevalent in western industrialised society, and it takes a long time for the mindsets of "We are the managers, you are the future factory-fodder" and "Ours not to reason how or why" to wear off.

The policeman (like all the police in our Amphoe) is being totally sensible and responsible in stressing that he knows this youngster is a steady, responsible individual who can be trusted to do what is right, in the rural-town situation.

One of the nicest things about (certain parts of) Thailand is that sense prevails, because things are thought out from basic principles, rather than being decided by arbitrary, irrelevant Western-centric rules.

Nowhere is perfect and no group are all angels, but there are instances of Thailand being a world leader in the application of commonsense.

If Thai drivers aren`t bad enough now they are making the roads more

dangerous......I hope mum & dad also give him a mobile phone so he can have a chat with someone when he`s delivering some goods :o then he will fit right in.

The idea that there is a 'right' age for starting different activities is downright ageist and ridiculously authoritarian.

Admittedly, it is prevalent in western industrialised society, and it takes a long time for the mindsets of "We are the managers, you are the future factory-fodder" and "Ours not to reason how or why" to wear off.

Ok Trotski, you gonna let him fly you on your next visa run? :o

Delivery Van Runs School Bus Off The Road, 18 Dead At The Scene

A tragic accident occured today when Satang Semamon, age 10, who was driving a delivery van for his father's business side-swiped a school bus on a country road and drove it off the road where it rolled over repeatedly down into a gully causing the death of 18 students.

Satang's father, Suthep, awoke in the morning feeling ill and so decided not to accompany Satang on their daily rounds as was their usual routine. "I was surprised when I heard the news and I feel kind of sorry that I allowed him to drive alone, but he had been doing so well previously, that I thought it would be alright to let him go out and drive by himself."

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

News of the Future Division

What can you say ? Something like this is bound to happen. even if he just takes the van out to show off with his mates one day.

Also now the precedent has been set and approved by the police other kids are going to want to have a go!

Sometimes, as I'm sure many others have seen, when approaching a travelling car from behind it looks like there is no one driving, as the Thai person behing the wheel is so diminutive. How can a kid reach and correctly control all of the required controls ? :o

The policeman (like all the police in our Amphoe) is being totally sensible and responsible in stressing that he knows this youngster is a steady, responsible individual who can be trusted to do what is right, in the rural-town situation.

Children are not responsible....neither can they be trusted to be sensible or steady. A van is a deadly weapon and children should not be entrusted to handle a deadly weapon without direct adult supervision.....ever.

Deliveries around his own neighborhood could just as well be made by bicycle.

Edited by chownah

Very predicable responses but folks, lighten up a bit. It could have been worse, much much worse, he could have let a woman drive. Then it would have been a mobile held on the ear by shoulder whilst applying make-up with hands and steering with knee and who said only children are not responsible ? Of course children should should not drive - nor should anybody under 18 and definately no women. Just see the headlines now - "Serious accident as woman crashes into own child driving in opposite directions. The woman was apparently speaking to her son on her mobile just before the collision. Neither child nor Mother would accept responsibility for driving without due care and attention. Police later arrested father for allowing his wife to drive"

I think this thread exemplifies the basic problem in Thailand and that is the complete lack of regard for the laws--even by the police. The very basic message here is never mind the law. When that happens everything becomes a 'law unto itself.'

If it's OK for this kid to drive because he was a 'good' kid and trying to help his father-- and more likely it was a matter of a family with more status than some others--what about the next kid.

Laws that don't work well can be changed legally and then enforced. The blantant disregard for the law is intolerable.

the cops hold up the traffic at my local junior school in pattaya while all the children ride their motorbikes hom. two and three to a bike, no helmet on. No problem tho, just make sure you run into a falang so he will pay all the bills!!! road safety in thailand is a sick joke, and stories like the one above make it a laughting stock

Folks, Sriracha John may be leaving out the emoticons :D :D :D:o in these stories; he may be making up some of them for the future. We discussed on another thread that this would be a good discussion item.

Not every kid is the same. There are incredibly responsible 10 year olds in some cultures. They mind the store, give change, walk over a rough mountain trail holding a heavy truck battery that needs to be exchanged, chop wood, etc. All of us have met the exceptions or extremes. Generally, ten year old Thai children aren't ready to drive cars. Some forty year olds aren't ready. Some farang aren't responsible drivers.

One of my responsible 12 year old students drove herself to school on a motorbike. Her parents were both accountants. I think she drove safely. Then I remembered that my extremely responsible daughter got a hardship driver's license when she was 14 or 15. When she was 15 or 16, I let her drive 80 miles on the freeway without me, pulling a trailer. She did fine.

The boy also urged other kids to help their parents whenever they were free and not to waste their time on "vices" such as "drugs or computer games".

Seems that along with computer games and drugs, school is also considered a vice for this 10 year old.

Compassion my a55. Just another fine example of how badly most Thai policemen's brains function.

A tragic accident occured today when Satang Semamon, age 10, who was driving a delivery van for his father's business side-swiped a school bus on a country road and drove it off the road where it rolled over repeatedly down into a gully causing the death of 18 students.

Satang's father, Suthep, awoke in the morning feeling ill and so decided not to accompany Satang on their daily rounds as was their usual routine. "I was surprised when I heard the news and I feel kind of sorry that I allowed him to drive alone, but he had been doing so well previously, that I thought it would be alright to let him go out and drive by himself."

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

What can you say ? Something like this is bound to happen. even if he just takes the van out to show off with his mates one day.

Also now the precedent has been set and approved by the police other kids are going to want to have a go!

Sometimes, as I'm sure many others have seen, when approaching a travelling car from behind it looks like there is no one driving, as the Thai person behing the wheel is so diminutive. How can a kid reach and correctly control all of the required controls ? :o

I'd take this as a massive compliment, John.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

:D Insight and sinom

Sorry to not include the below disclaimer on my deleted post:

* Disclaimer: News of the Future Division reports on news that really has not occured..... yet.*

Edited by sriracha john

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

:D Insight and sinom

Sorry to not include the below disclaimer on my deleted post:

* Disclaimer: News of the Future Division reports on news that really has not occured..... yet.*

If you you re-read my original post ...... something like this IS bound to happen. ....... i.e. not happened yet !

S-J you did nearly get me until I read" Future news division" :D

Insight - read more carefully :D

cheers

Maybe not really so differnt then the US years ago. I was a farm kid we learned to driving tractors on the farm, not for fun but work after school and the breaks' Got my first license at 14 as my father was legally blind, it was a special license that allowed me to drive for family needs.

I took the standard adult driver exams to get the license.

I was well into 30's before I had my first accident. Needs in farming area can be very different then in the Cities.

10 year old on a public road might be pushing it a bit, even in farm communities.

I suppose a pointed out it would depend on the kid, but in any event if he had not passed the drivers tests then he should have been on the farm not public roads. A far a I'm concerned that gose for adults as well. (TT) Tis Thailand good luck,

Maybe not really so differnt then the US years ago. I was a farm kid we learned to driving tractors on the farm, not for fun but work after school and the breaks' Got my first license at 14 as my father was legally blind, it was a special license that allowed me to drive for family needs.

I was well into 30's before I had my first accident. Needs in farming area can be very different then in the Cities.

10 year old on a public road might be pushing it a bit, even in farm communities.

I suppose a pointed out it would depend on the kid, but in any event if he had not passed the drivers tests then he should have been on the farm not public roads. A far a I'm concerned that gose for adults as well. (TT) Tis Thailand good luck,

same in the UK and it's legal.........................kids in early teans are allowed to drive tractors etc on public roads within the vicinity of the farm

Two sentences of the article needed to be put into juxtaposition to appreciate the irony a little more...

He thought it was a good idea for the boy to learn the traffic laws early.

Pol Lt Col Prasit Premkamol said allowing children aged 10 years old to get behind a wheel was illegal, according to traffic laws.

Yup, teaching by example. That's what it's all about. :o

If you you re-read my original post ...... something like this IS bound to happen. ....... i.e. not happened yet !

S-J you did nearly get me until I read" Future news division" :o

Insight - read more carefully :D

cheers

Is/Was - same thing! :D

Should add some brakes on the speed-reading sometime... Sorry about the misreading.

Most 10 year old Thai kids I know are certainly not tall enough to see over the top of the steering wheel. Much less reach the pedals at the same time.

which explains why most of our local village-kids prefer to drive their friends round on a motorbike instead. Why didn't I think of that, before ? :D They're doing it for safety-reasons ! :o

One of the nicest things about (certain parts of) Thailand is that sense prevails, because things are thought out from basic principles, rather than being decided by arbitrary, irrelevant Western-centric rules.

Nowhere is perfect and no group are all angels, but there are instances of Thailand being a world leader in the application of commonsense.

Congratulations you are the first person who believes Thailand is 'a world leader in the application of common sense'.

Thailand has one of the worst accident rates in the world and anyone who thinks it is a good idea for a ten year old to drive a car on public roads must have taken complete leave of their senses.

It is also illegal what is the point of laws if they are not enforced or the police can decide which ones they like or don't like or don't pay!

in many european countries exist, or did exist similar laws, beside cars mostly used for tractors.

I had myself a captains licencens for boats without speed limit and I don't know how many hundreds of tons heavy. valid international.

same in the UK and it's legal.........................kids in early teans are allowed to drive tractors etc on public roads within the vicinity of the farm

No it is not the same in the UK. If the roads are within a farm they are not public roads. 10 year old children are not allowed to drive uninsured without a license on public roads.

WRONG. They are allowed to drive on public roads from the farm to any other land owned by the farmer in the U.K public road or not. Everyone already knows you can do whatever you like on private land such as a farm.