Financial Support For Family In Hospital

LaoPo

My mother-in-Law was hospitalized in China 7 weeks ago.

10 days ago she was diagnosed with a brain tumor but the hospital she was in wasn't 'top' enough so we managed to have her moved into another University hospital.

She was operated 4 days ago by the best Professor-Surgeon possible...on the edge of death, but she's ok now.

What surprised and amazed me is the following:

It is a common practise in China that family, in this case her 8 (!) brothers and sisters, help the patient involved and donate quite substantial amounts of money...so, the uncles and aunts of my wife did so. It's obvious that my wife and sister-in-law help out as well but that brothers and sisters of the patient do that also was new to me.

I have never heard of such touching care before in the west (unless maybe some incidental cases) but, of course, insurance is more commonly used in the West.

Question:

How and what do families in Thailand 'arrange' in order to take care -financially- to help their family members ? Is it common practice in Thailand too ? :o

I have to say that in this case 70% of the hospital costs, surgery, medicines are covered by insurance; 30% is not, which still could become quite a substantial amount of money to pay for if one is hospitalized for such a long time.

Hired Care:

Also it's possible to hire a "Care-Lady" for 24 hours 24/7; in the hospital there is an agency where one can hire a special trained lady to watch the patient; take care of a patient, give food, wash, clean etc. That's NOT a nurse, but still a good idea.

Cost? 250 Baht for 24 hours... :D

In Thailand also ?

LaoPo

Thai families will also pool resources to help pay hospital bills. In Chula I know there is a nurse group set up to provide such 24 hour care using 12 hour shifts of off-duty nurse staff. Don't recall the price but on high side for Thailand but you have excellent care - very useful for immediately after an operation and when some physical therapy is required. Believe there is a like group of nurses aids at a lower cost. Most Thai families will have someone in family stay with patient at all times to help in any case. That is why private rooms are much more common here - family will live and sleep in room. For those that can not afford rooms hospital corridors or breezeway areas are made available for family.

Good to hear that Lopburi !

I think Western society still can learn a lot from Asian people regarding "taking care for/of each other's families".

In my country there are elderly homes...full of widows and (less) widowers who NEVER (or rarely) are paid a visit by their children and/or grandchildren; that's sad and cruel at the same time. :o

Let alone financial support, if needed.

LaoPo

I think Western society still can learn a lot from Asian people regarding "taking care for/of each other's families".

In my country there are elderly homes...full of widows and (less) widowers who NEVER (or rarely) are paid a visit by their children and/or grandchildren; that's sad and cruel at the same time. :o

LaoPo

I think that in Asia (and US) people can learn a lot from our societies. Everyone and I mean everyone has a decent medical insurance back home. The kind of stories as posted above do have a shadow side because a lot of people here won't get the medical attention they need. Not everyone here has a family who will take care of these bills.

Or what about stories that girls prostitute themselves for the medical bills of their fathers and mothers.

So I strongly doubt we could learn something here!

In my country there are elderly homes...full of widows and (less) widowers who NEVER (or rarely) are paid a visit by their children and/or grandchildren; that's sad and cruel at the same time. :D

LaoPo

I think that in Asia (and US) people can learn a lot from our societies. Everyone and I mean everyone has a decent medical insurance back home. The kind of stories as posted above do have a shadow side because a lot of people here won't get the medical attention they need. Not everyone here has a family who will take care of these bills.

So I strongly doubt we could learn something here!

I partly agree and that's why I asked my question.

But, it's the same in Western society; there are a lot of poor peope in the West also, living below minimum income (in various countries).

Do they get help from their family more 'easy' than in Asia ?

I don't know :o and that's why I found my own families' experience so touching and impressive.

And, I think ALL of us can learn at least something from another culture, Thai culture included.

LaoPo :D

I am curious about the true cost of health care in Thailand.

I was told one of Thaksin's 'gifts' to the poor was the 30 baht health scheme - where any Thai could be treated for only 30 baht in a public (government) hospital. I understand there are higher costs for a private room (and treatment in a private hospital), so how much can a Thai expect to pay for treatment in hospital?

Peter