Poll On Police Checks

Police Checks For Getting Non-Imm. B Visa  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the purposes of the poll, the police checks are NOT the ones which many of the upper-tier schools require simply for the benefit of their own records (though the two may be the same actual piece of paperwork) but checks required by the THAI GOVERNMENT for the purpose of acquiring a non-immigrant "B" class visa for the purpose of applying for a teacher's license and work permit to be employed as a teacher in Thailand.

Sorry for there being so many categories, but it won't really give us enough information unless all the circumstances in which persons are being asked for the particular types of check are known. It would be helpful if folks clarified their nationalities below along with stating their poll choice.

I'm American, and I fall under the "renewal and no extra paperwork yet requested" category.

IJWT

Most of the teachers I know in CM have renewed their wps now. They were not requested to supply a police check.

I also know of teachers coming into Thailand from the states and uk with multi-entry non-imm Bs who never needed the subject access form/fbi check mentioned on this and many web boards. I can pm you details if you wish.

Edited by Loaded

To French teachers :

If you are requested to supply a police clearance from home, go to

www.cjn.justice.gouv.fr/ , make an "online request" (or is it a "request online" ?) and give your address in Thailand. The police clearance will be in your letter box within 2 or 3 weeks. It's free.

About the poll, I'm French and I fall under the "No extra paperwork yet requested".

Edited by adjan jb

I am South African and I managed to get my Non-B before the new regulation came out. However, my school is requesting that all teachers apply for a clearance from their home country.

Loaded, I'd love any and all information you could share with me. The more info we have, the clearer the picture we can present.

Looking at the survey and the thread so far, what I can see is a whole lot of inconsistency. The only sources of consistency seem to be for two groups:

1. The incumbents, who are not being asked so far to adhere to any stricter regime, and:

2. The illegals, who of course don't have to follow any regime at all.

Not surprisingly, these two groups also form the biggest bloc of the survey so far.

I can't answer the poll directly, but I have just got a UK Police Check for the purposes of applying for PR. Having got it, I have submitted a copy to my school.

My school is requiring all new teachers for next school year (August, as its an international school) to bring Police Clearance with them.

G

For the purposes of the poll, the police checks are NOT the ones which many of the upper-tier schools require simply for the benefit of their own records (though the two may be the same actual piece of paperwork)but checks required by the THAI GOVERNMENT for the purpose of acquiring a non-immigrant "B" class visa for the purpose of applying for a teacher's license and work permit to be employed as a teacher in Thailand.

I finished one term (as a legit / qualified teacher) went back home, got a new NIB visa no problem, and upon returning was requested to get the police clearance for the WP, no mention from the employers yet of the teachers license, or what is required for it. It didn't seem that the doc was needed for the actual visa.

(cost of police doc. was 10GBP and took about 40 days to process)

I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I've been trying for a half hour to create a new post. This is the only feature I know how to use. Do gov't schools usually pay for 12 months or do you have to find outside work for October, April etc.? This is quite important to me as I've been offered a contract to sign. Thanks

I have just gotten a dual entry non immigrant B type visa this week. I was required to have a national name & fingerprint check done before they issued the visa.

I got the visa from the Thai embassy in Melbourne, Australia.

For anyone in a similar position you must get a national name & fingerprint check, not just a name check. You cannot get this done at the local Police station, it must be done at the Police centre in Flinders Street, Melbourne. Cost is about $120 AUD and it takes 5 - 10 days to come through in the post.

I renewed all of my paperwork a few months ago and didn't need a Police Clearance. Since then my school has asked for one, but I think they just want to have it on file.

Does anyone know how current a police check is good for? I don't intend to look for a new job until next year and don't want to waste time & money getting a PC that will be several months old when I need to use if they want a more current one.

I have just gotten a dual entry non immigrant B type visa this week. I was required to have a national name & fingerprint check done before they issued the visa.

For anyone in a similar position you must get a national name & fingerprint check, not just a name check. You cannot get this done at the local Police station, it must be done at the Police centre in Flinders Street, Melbourne. Cost is about $120 AUD and it takes 5 - 10 days to come through in the post.

Thanks Juzrelax,

I an Australian also, can you tell me what information came back on this response...for example, if there are criminal convictions, will they show on this report?

Thanks Juzrelax,

I an Australian also, can you tell me what information came back on this response...for example, if there are criminal convictions, will they show on this report?

Criminal convictions will show up on the report. I believe they only show on it if convited within the last 10 years, but you would have to double check that because I'm not 100% sure.

If you have spent time in jail for any substantial length of time I belive that will be noted.

Driving offences do not show on the report. I was convicted of drink driving about 3 years ago and that did not show up.

You are best off to give them a call & ask.

• 2 months later...