Need Help

The Duke

Hi i need need a bit of urgent advice. Im visiting chang mai with my girlfriend and she has developed severe neck and shoulder pain. We went for a 2 hour thai massage last night that she insisted would relieve the pain for her but in my opinion has only made the condition worse. I really dont like to see her unable to sleep because of this. So does anyone know of a good osteopath or back/neck pain person in chang mai i could visit today at short notice? Many thanks for any advice

Sorry to hear that. I strongly recommend Dr Sutthee, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Excellent English and treatment, including for members of the royal family.

He has an evening clinic on the Superhighway, phone number (if not changed) for appointments 053 214139.

Don't take any drastic action with your back/neck. Try sleeping on a hard bed with a very small pillow, or none at all. This normally relieves the problem.

I have suffered from exactly the same symptoms on several occasions in the past, they have always gone away after a night or two on a hard bed. The cause is most often stress, coupled with sleeping in a bad position.

It depends completely on what the cause of the problem is, methinks.

During a period with very high stress, I unconciously tightened my neck muscles, and pulled up my shoulders, resulting in neck and shoulders pain, stiffeness and buzzing head ache. I only noticed that I did this when I followed some Bagua lessons when the instructors time after time needed to tell me to relax my shoulders. Now, I still hear his voice quite often in my head :o

Nienke

Don't take any drastic action with your back/neck. Try sleeping on a hard bed with a very small pillow, or none at all. This normally relieves the problem.

I have suffered from exactly the same symptoms on several occasions in the past, they have always gone away after a night or two on a hard bed. The cause is most often stress, coupled with sleeping in a bad position.

Absoulely agree......and rule out stress first

I went to see Dr Sudhee three years ago with pain in my shoulder. He said the pain was coming from my neck and talked about surgery, but recommended an MRI scan first. The scan showed two discs that were basically crumbling, but he though we could avoid surgery. He explained that if surgery was necessary it would mean either fusing cervical vertebrae together and perhaps attaching a metal rod. :o The recovery period is quite long and there's no guarantee that the pain will go and your mobility will certainly be affected.

Anyway, after looking at the scan he put me in hospital for one week with hard neck collar and traction four times a day.His treatment plan helped a lot and I have since avoided surgery, though I have limitations with turning my head, which is a pain when driving.

I since purchased a really good mattress, the most supportive pillow I can find and bought a Pronex portable traction set from the states (they have a Pronex website) which has been a good investment.

As p1p said definitely don't take any drastic action.....but if you need advice Sudhee is your man :D

I'm glad you had luck after sleeping on a hard bed p1p...it may have been just that....luck.

As an expert on the receiving end of bad backs I have suspected for many decades that the advice about hard beds was wrong. It seems obvious that's going to cause bends in the spine and it might repair easiest when straight.

A couple of years ago I was vindicated out of the blue. The latest is that hard beds are definitely not good, a medium or slightly firm mattress is best. BAsically one that leaves your back straight.

I cannot quote the source but it was very respectable a proper study.

BTW against all new age thinking I highly recommend antiinflammatory drugs like voltarol or voltaren (not if you have a bad stomach there are good new alternatives). My sister and I have often broken a long vicious cycle with just one or two doses. Not always but good success rate. I don't hesitate any more.

Edited by sleepyjohn

There are as many courses in alternative therapy as there are people practicing these therapies, with no regulating body. Almost all practicing osteopaths in the west have gone through a rigorous and long period of training….5 years being the average, with study of anatomy, physiology, pathology, orthopaedics and spinal mechanics, as well as daily clinical practice.

Spinal manipulation is not usually taught until the fourth year, such is the complexity of the spine. I have back problems (I have every problem!) but I would be very slow to allow anybody perform any manipulation without having the proper qualifications. To be honest I wouldn’t want someone whose qualifications couldn’t be checked, cracking my lumbar vertebrae.

In the west good osteopaths are extremely high paid and highly sought after and if there is a youngish western osteopath practicing in Chiangmai, I would certainly be wondering why, when they could be earning an absolute fortune back home?

In the west good osteopaths are extremely high paid and highly sought after and if there is a youngish western osteopath practicing in Chiangmai, I would certainly be wondering why, when they could be earning an absolute fortune back home?

Speaking only for myself, a professional who could be earning gobs of money in the West, the answer is simple; money is not my first priority and I doubt I am alone here.

Speaking only for myself, a professional who could be earning gobs of money in the West, the answer is simple; money is not my first priority and I doubt I am alone here.

It's not the first priority for many people including myself. However, it probably is somewhat of a priority for a youngish person having undergone 5 years of training in osteopathy. I wonder how many osteopaths have undergone extensive training in order to cater to a few ex pats in another country? The issue really isn't about money, it's about ability and if you want someone whose credentials you can't check or are unsure of to be cracking your spine.....well that's your choice.

It's not the first priority for many people including myself. However, it probably is somewhat of a priority for a youngish person having undergone 5 years of training in osteopathy. I wonder how many osteopaths have undergone extensive training in order to cater to a few ex pats in another country? The issue really isn't about money, it's about ability and if you want someone whose credentials you can't check or are unsure of to be cracking your spine.....well that's your choice.

Yawn.. Yes, it is our choice and you were the one who brought up money, not me. If you don't mind, I personally would like to see this thread get back on topic rather than wade through your rather long-winded opinions about poster's choices of practitioners.

The OP asked about osteopaths but I would also recommend a good Thai massage therapist. My Osteopath in America was also my FAA Flight Examiner and while I never experienced him manipulating my spine, he was a master at working out bone/nerve problems caused by long hours of sometimes awkward body positions in my work. My wife and I use an excellent Thai massage therapist who works at Sanusarn Market in the evenings but is available for house-calls during the day. One of those fabulous finds who is a natural diagnostic and corrective therapist and gives the best massages I/we have ever experienced. I am a bit reluctant to give out her name and number on a public forum that hosts troublemakers as well as kindly folks but I am sure she is not the only one available in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Dustoff

Funny i must have missed this thread, ive just posted a new topic asking if there is a need for a osteopath in Chang Mai. obviously there is so maybe ill set up my practice there next year. there is more than money motivation you know some of us really do want to help people.

Funny i must have missed this thread, ive just posted a new topic asking if there is a need for a osteopath in Chang Mai. obviously there is so maybe ill set up my practice there next year. there is more than money motivation you know some of us really do want to help people.

:o