Anyone Know A Good Weight Loss Drug?

shootingstar33

During college my friend went to a weight loss clinic in Siam Square, got a bunch of brightly colored pills.

I dunno if she really lost weight or not, had always looked perfectly fine to be even before taking them. They did, however, make her really grumpy and caused her to have a lot of fights with some of our buddies though. (she was rather hot-tempered to begin with tho :o)

Does anyone know any weight loss drugs that actually work? And where to get them in Thailand??

yabba........ice......cocaine.....will work and can get them on most streets :D problem is there illegal :D

seriously i know someone who would get some strong diet pills here and take them back with them,sorry i didnt take any notice of the name ,but remember anything that really works will have some side effects that you may not like.i suggest you do a google search on diet drugs/pills and take a list to local pharmacy or pharmacy in tourist area and see what they got.....a lot of thai ladies like to take pills if they put a kilo on :o:D ..so might be worth asking around as to what works.

Or you could eliminate the drug from your diet that makes you hungry - sugar.

i still get hungry infact very hungry and i eat very little sugar(is it classed as a drug??) in my diet except natural sugars like in fruit.everybody is different as i can eat every 2 hours due to hunger but not put any fat/weight on ..well i could up to the age of 25 ish , i have to be a little careful now ive hit middleage.

i still cant recommend drugs for weight loss as they tend to be a temporary solution and as soon as you stop could rebound even worse.....regular healthy eating and exercise is more long term but obviously boring :o

Alli by GSK has just appeared on the Business Week (or one of those similar magazines) as the 4th biggest medical breakthrough of last year.

I do not agree with it being 4th but there you go - its an American magazine and so........

A bit like the experiement in Oregon years back asking the public where medical aid should be spent.

I have used a drug (on prescription in the UK) called Xenical (Orlistat) 120 Mg capsules which when taken with a meal prevents the absorption of most of the fat content of the meal. At first I experienced some quite good weight loss (about 12 lbs) although the side effects were interesting (if there had been an Olympic competition for crapping I'm sure I would have been in line for gold!). Other users have experienced worse side effects than me.

The trouble is, the weight loss tails off after a while and because you have not changed your diet, the moment you stop taking the tablets the weight goes back on.

I have to say that I agree with other posters and am not in favour of appetite suppressing drugs because of their addictive nature and potentiall dangerous side effects and I certainly wouldn't take them except under medical supervision.

Without wishing to sound patronising, I don't think there is any substitute for diet and exercise ...........I only wish it worked for me 'coz I have regained my place in the fat bastard stakes and am feeling quite depressed about it.

If only someone could invent calorie-free food!!!

I have used a drug (on prescription in the UK) called Xenical (Orlistat) 120 Mg capsules which when taken with a meal prevents the absorption of most of the fat content of the meal. At first I experienced some quite good weight loss (about 12 lbs) although the side effects were interesting (if there had been an Olympic competition for crapping I'm sure I would have been in line for gold!). Other users have experienced worse side effects than me.

The trouble is, the weight loss tails off after a while and because you have not changed your diet, the moment you stop taking the tablets the weight goes back on.

I have to say that I agree with other posters and am not in favour of appetite suppressing drugs because of their addictive nature and potentiall dangerous side effects and I certainly wouldn't take them except under medical supervision.

Without wishing to sound patronising, I don't think there is any substitute for diet and exercise ...........I only wish it worked for me 'coz I have regained my place in the fat bastard stakes and am feeling quite depressed about it.

If only someone could invent calorie-free food!!!

I think orlistat is the compund name for Alli I mention above.

I have heard the side effects can be unpleasant but a low fat diet can help.

As you say - its meant to be used in conjunction with a change of diet and exercise - reliance should not be on the drug alone.

The best diet they say is a balanced diet and excercise.

However we are not all energetic and most of us like our food. Incidentially a DRUG, a little bit of a worry.

Why don't you try something like Herbalife, a natural product, you can still have one meal of your choice per day and have certain snacks. It works very well. A few years ago my friend lost 23kg in 4 months and said she had never felt better. Others I know have used it and have all had similar experiences. I take it as a health aid and not to lose weight,

It can be used in 3 ways, to loose weight, to maintain weight but be healthier, and to put on weight.

You can find them on the Internet.

I've had success using fiber and protein shakes at mealtime to curb my appetite. I tried HerbalLife and ended up in Bumrungrad with an irregular heartbeat due to the ephedrine or guarana in it. Exercise is a drug!

A good workout can also curb appetite too.

I am trying a lower cal and lower fat diet now combined with exercise on an cross/eliptical trainer.

Adding rolled oats to my morning cereal means I amd not hungry for snacks until lunchtime.

I have a target of 4-5 Kg off in 6 months - no hurry but I would be better off without the weight but have no intention of getting muscle bulk or being too skinny.

Does anyone know any weight loss drugs that actually work? And where to get them in Thailand??

Have you researched "Fat Burners?"

If you are serious, and have a proper and balanced diet, and exercise, a Fat Burner can work.

But note, the emphasis is eliminating "fat." But IMHO, excess fat (and not LBM, Lean Body Mass (musle) is usually why people want to lose weight.

I won't push any brands, but there are a couple of top-selling brands that you can find on exercise forums.

Edited by Wrong Turn

This has been discussed here before as I remember......and can be found in Thai pharmacies.

A new pill for obesity helps overweight people shed more than 4lb a week. The drug, Betahistine, is currently used to treat the dizziness disorder vertigo.

But an obesity expert in Israel stumbled on the alternative use while looking for a new treatment for his overweight patients.

Now drug company Eli Lilly has become involved and is backing trials being carried out in Canada and America. In the first human trial in Tel Aviv, volunteers shed excess weight at a rate of almost 4lb a week for three months.

Because Betahistine is an existing drug, it is expected to be fast-tracked by British and American drug safety regulators and should become available worldwide for treating obesity in 2009.

About 40 per cent of adults in the UK are overweight, and 20 per cent are obese. This figure is rising, particularly among young adults.

"This drug is significantly more effective at helping people to lose weight then anything else on the market at present," says Dr Ami Eyal, medical director of Obecure, the company developing the pill.

"The great thing is that this drug has been around since the Sixties and there are no significant side-effects from taking it. It has already been used by 130 million people for vertigo - it is licensed in the UK for this - so we know it is safe.

"Some of the existing drugs for obesity have been linked with depression and suicidal tendencies, but there have never been any such reports with this drug.

"Our patients were absolutely amazed at how quickly they lost weight and they were quite disappointed when we had to stop the trial.

"Existing anti-obesity pills have proved to be slow in reducing weight in seriously obese people and they generally need to have surgery. But operations for the morbidly obese are risky."

Betahistine works on a part of brain known as the histamine receptor. Histamines are a group of chemicals that are part of the body's immune system, and protect it against disease.

Over-production of histamine causes allergic disorders such as peanut allergy, hay fever and sensitivity to wasp and bee stings. Histamine also helps to suppress appetite, although it is not clear why.

Betahistine is a manufactured copy of histamine.

"Histamine is found in the gut as well as the brain, but its connection with appetite control has not yet been established," says Dr Nir Barak, of the Rabin Medical Centre in Tel Aviv, who discovered the new use of the drug.

"We found that the patients in our trial developed a dislike for fatty foods," says Dr Eyal. The pill has also been found to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood.

Betahistine could be used as a real alternative to highly expensive, and potentially dangerous, obesity surgery which is rationed in some parts of the NHS. The new drug should cost the NHS just a few pence per tablet.

"Although Betahistine does not have a licence to treat obesity, because its safety as a drug has been proven doctors in Britain can already use it to treat patients for weight loss," says Dr Eyal.

"But obviously they would have to take responsibility for using it for this purpose."

Dr Ian Campbell, medical director of the charity Weight Concern, says: "It's smashing news that we may soon have a new drug to treat obesity. Surgery is very expensive and if another option can be found that is inexpensive and works then we welcome it."

that's the one I was thinking.

no side effects, no s*itting, no lose of vitamins and the other nutrients together with undigested fat - cheap and readily available in the larger pharmacies in thailand and on the net.

Ephedrine, which I dont think you can get hold of in Thailand very easily because its what they used to use as pills down at the full moon partys. That works wonders but is very dangerous as it basically raises your heart rate without you doing anything so once you add in exercise get on a tread mill and read your heart rate, the rate you get is scary.

One you can get is Clenbuterol, google it

Ephedrine, which I dont think you can get hold of in Thailand very easily because its what they used to use as pills down at the full moon partys. That works wonders but is very dangerous as it basically raises your heart rate without you doing anything so once you add in exercise get on a tread mill and read your heart rate, the rate you get is scary.

One you can get is Clenbuterol, google it

Clenbuterol :D ?? If you Google it do take note that it is forbidden in most European countries and have a look at the side effects.....

Seems rather irresponsible to me to advise clenbuterol :o

Wrong Turn:

I won't push any brands, but there are a couple of top-selling brands that you can find on exercise forums.
can you give me a few brands? I am interested in ones you think would work! Thanks!

One of the top selling Fat Burners is called "Hot-Rox."

Link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/biot/hot.html

There are other brands.

Also, research the concept called STACKING.

Staking is usually mixing 3 different elements together.

If you're goint to Stack, or simply use on Fat Burner, like Hot-Rox, make sure you're working out. Otherwise, what's the point?

clenbuterol is not approved anywhere for weight loss, it is a powerful stimulent used for severe respiratory obstruction/constricted airways. Don't even think about using it for weight loss; serious cardiac side effects.

The following are available in Thailand:

1.Xenical: it does not reduce appetite but does decrease absorption of fat. Safe as it is not systemically absorbed; depending on how much fat you eat, may have some unpleasant GI effects. It will only help wieght loss if you avoid the temptation to eat more while taking it (some people eat more fat because they know the drug will eliminate some of it..thereby defeating the purpose).

2. Betahistine (brandname Serc): altho approved for other uses, it apparantly does reduce appetite in some people. Another poster has given a link to a thread that discusses it in more detail.

3. Sibutramine - this drug affects neurotransmitters in the brain and for some people reduces appetite. Can NOT be safely taken in combination with anti-depressents or other psychotropic drugs. Has a number of side effects and may cause mood changes, nervousness, agitation; research it carfefully before trying. It is available in Thailand under the brand name Reductil.

• 3 months later...

There are lots of dodgy things around in Thailand for weight loss. They are mostly either too weak or dangerous (ie not approved by Thai FDA).

Best over the counter stuff is L-Carnitine (fat burner) and L-Phenylalanine (appetite control). You can get them at GNC stores or at www.thaisupplements.com

They won't help much if you still eat too much junk food though!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Organic Apple Cider Vinegar melt's fat way and prevents the body depositing fat.

Also avoid anything with 'Diet' in it, such as sodas. It is claimed they MAKE you fat and have other harmful effects. 'Aspartame' seems to be the culprit.

I don't think there is any magic bullet, which is what most people want. A good book called 'The China Study' discusses nutrition and weight loss. Highly recommended.

Please do your own research. :o

• 2 years later...

try panbesy, it comes in either red/white or blue/white( double dose) capsules, it can only be prescribed by the doctor and he will only prescribe it when you specifically request for it.

it really works, at the rate of about 5-8 kilos per month, though the doctor will only give you a month's prescription at a time. ( Doctor's will only prescribe this when you are borderline overweight, not to underweight or obese patients ). They will do a BMI test first .

side-effects: irritability, anxiety, gastric pains, hyperactivity, dry mouth , (insomnia and constipation first few days )

BUT if you have an exercise regiment or if you are a stay at home wife then you're pretty safe.

Have a big meal first thing in the morning Before you take the pill ( 1 pill a day ) , important cos you wont be able to eat for the rest of the day. It suppresses your appetite and also makes you super -hyperactive. For me I do double the housework that I normally do and spend a minimum of 2 hours at the gym. ( 1 hour high impact, 1 hour low impact)

Always carry bottled water with you. Ease off the coffees and teas.

Sleep regular hours, the first few days you won't be able to sleep much, all you will ever think of is that speck of dust on the floor that you just have to mop !!!!!

Eat sensibly, your 1 meal a day should be a full meal like rice or pasta, take advantage to change your diet patterns at this point. Like no pizza and deep fried foods.

Dun worry about the constipation, your body is just dealing with less food in your system. It will be regular again after a week or so.

The best thing about this pill is that, after being on it for a month or two, your body and mind automatically attune to less food and more activity so you won't be needing it at all. Meaning to say that it really does have a long term effect .

Whatever you decide on, it's up to you ......... I just hope it works out

Panbesy is a brand name of phentermine, there arew others.

One of the reasons this is a controlled drug is that it can be quite dangerous if taken by someone with hypertension or any cardiovascular problems. So medical check first and ongoing medical supervision is necessary to safely use it.