Residence Certificate To Register Motorbike

Greenside

... I trotted off to the British Consul with a heavy heart because I suspected I already knew the outcome and sure enough they want an outrageous "Standard Fee" of 2380 baht and a day's notice to provide what before this month came free with 20 minutes spent with the charming officers in the left hand hut at immigration. The British Consul staff said they'd heard this might be on the cards as "too many people were applying for them" at immigration! Needless to say I'm pretty mad about it. :o

Bearing in mind anything to do with driving paperwork in CM seems to require an original copy of this certificate no older than 30 days this could be an enormous expense - I've needed three in the past year. Apart from that, as far as I can see the whole thing's a bit of a farce since there are no checks carried out on what you tell them any more than the immigration lot checked the paperwork required for the free one.

The questions:

• Anyone else run into this issue yet?
  • Other than get someone else to register my bike their name, is there a cheaper solution?
  • Why can't the Registration department simply accept the same documents the the immigration department asked for, i.e. copy of your lease and manager's ID card? You have to provide all the passport stuff anyway as far as I can recall. I don't really expect an answer to this question - it's far too logical a process to happen here.
  • What's the procedure for those unfortunates with no Consul in CM?

I'm going to go and see if I can put a bit of pressure on the Yamaha dealer who was taking care of the registration and I'll keep you posted. By the way, the nice lady at the Consulate said that the price would be going down a bit next week due to the exchange rate - that would be better received if I wasn't still smarting from bringing the money in to buy the bike in the first place :D

If you havn't bought the bike yet, just say to the dealer....Here is a copy of my passport showing my Non Immigrant staus, and here is a copy of my driving licence......Call me when you have it registered.

I did the same with a vehicle last year, just supplied copies of passport and licence. The dealers all have connections in the registration department, and if they want the business, they can normally produce rabbits :o

If you havn't bought the bike yet, just say to the dealer....Here is a copy of my passport showing my Non Immigrant staus, and here is a copy of my driving licence......Call me when you have it registered.

I did the same with a vehicle last year, just supplied copies of passport and licence. The dealers all have connections in the registration department, and if they want the business, they can normally produce rabbits :o

very sound advice as always MM. :D

very sound advice as always MM. :D

Sadly (well not that sad 'cos I love it), the bike was bought about a month ago. I gave them the docs they asked for (including a copy of the RC I'd had done about three months ago) and they said all would be OK. Of course at that point I had no reason to worry about getting another if, as I suspected, the registration department wanted a new original. Still, I'll see if my girlfriend can charm them into having another go.

Edited by Greenside

I bought a Triumph when the shop opened on Nimmenhemin in December and the guys there are taking care of the registration - a copy of my passport and the consular letter. I don't have the plate yet but the letter I gave them was from last June and nobody commented.

A bit sneaky, but how about just scanning the original and "Photoshopping" the date if the letter is more than 30 days old :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

I bought a Triumph when the shop opened on Nimmenhemin in December and the guys there are taking care of the registration - a copy of my passport and the consular letter. I don't have the plate yet but the letter I gave them was from last June and nobody commented.

I bought the bike on Jan 10th and gave the dealer all the documents they asked for. What's aggravating me (almost) as much as the cost and the mind numbing stupidity of the system is the fact that had the dealer bothered to call me when they found there was a problem rather than wait until I called in on another matter then I could probably have just nipped over to immigration before they decided to "improve" their procedure.

So we've done our best to make the dealer feel guilty, gave him the pick of all the official looking documents I keep on file and he's gone off to try again.

Fingers crossed.

A bit sneaky, but how about just scanning the original and "Photoshopping" the date if the letter is more than 30 days old :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Ahhh... like "some" people do with the outward flight itinerary?

maybe somebody can help me. I want to buy a motorbike and get it registered.. I have a non imm ED visa but no thai drivers license, residency certificate or work permit. I can buy one thru a dealer etc.

What do I need to get to register it? just a drivers license? Can I obtain one?

Thanks in advance

I'm a little perturbed at this news- like the OP Greenside I have gotten numerous Certificates of Residency at CM Immigration (for free) in the last year or so. I got my last one this year on 2 January 2008, for purposes of renewing my drivers license. I find it hard to understand why they would not issue this much needed document......

I did hear, but cannot verify 100%, that Thai Immigration has ceased issuing this doc to all but holders of retirement visas or retirement extensions.

In other words, a non-imm Category O, or a "B", or an "Ed"- no go.

If you have a retirement extension (or visa), they are still issuing this doc, as far as I know.....

As for CSN's question- the short answer is no. You need more than a drivers license to legally register a vehicle here- see above comments.

I'm a little perturbed at this news- like the OP Greenside I have gotten numerous Certificates of Residency at CM Immigration (for free) in the last year or so. I got my last one this year on 2 January 2008, for purposes of renewing my drivers license. I find it hard to understand why they would not issue this much needed document......

I did hear, but cannot verify 100%, that Thai Immigration has ceased issuing this doc to all but holders of retirement visas or retirement extensions.

If you have a retirement extension (or visa), they are still issuing this doc, as far as I know.....

As for CSN's question- the short answer is no. You need more than a drivers license to legally register a vehicle here- see above comments.

okay so I would need a drivers license and residency cert... I guess its just a cost thing at the US consulate to get the cert but can I get a drivers license with a Non Imm ED? are there other req's also?

okay so I would need a drivers license and residency cert... I guess its just a cost thing at the US consulate to get the cert but can I get a drivers license with a Non Imm ED? are there other req's also?

See this link for helpful info on applying for a Thai drivers license here in Chiang Mai.

(And yes, you also need a Certificate of Residency to get a Thai license, in addition to registering a vehicle).

Also read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t160567.html

for info regarding the new Smart Card license (ASEAN-compliant)

Edited by mcgriffith
added Smart Card link

See this link for helpful info on applying for a Thai drivers license here in Chiang Mai.

(And yes, you also need a Certificate of Residency to get a Thai license, in addition to registering a vehicle).

Also read this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t160567.html

for info regarding the new Smart Card license (ASEAN-compliant)

McG

That is a helpful link but to obtain a Drivers License then do I need

Certificate of Residency

AND ? OR?

Work permit

------------------------

# Residence certificate from Embassy/Consulate, Immigration Office Work Permit (Chiang Mai address) or Residence Book (yellow book) copy and original

# Non Immigrant visa extensions, and Passport and last entry (copy and original)

# Medical Certificate (report for driver’s license)

Just to be sure, last time I needed to do this I went in advance to the Hang Dong office and got the latest version of what docs you need for the DL. Go upstairs and I think it was window 21 (but you will see as it says something like "Foreigners Licence" on the wall). They might have moved the goalposts again so this could save you some running about.

Re the residency letter from Immigration, this changed at least a year ago for holders of non-imm O or B holders such as myself (90 day visa run) which leaves your local consulate as the only option and therefore is a licence to print money for them! :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

As should be clear on the link about the DL, you do not have to have a WP.

I asked because in the link ... residence certificate and immigration work permit are separated by a "," comma and that would normally imply a list as opposed to an "or". Just asking for clarification or experience of others before I start the process.

# Residence certificate from Embassy/Consulate, Immigration Office Work Permit (Chiang Mai address) or Residence Book (yellow book) copy and original

# Non Immigrant visa extensions, and Passport and last entry (copy and original)

# Medical Certificate (report for driver’s license)

I made it clear that I had a retirement extension and that I wanted the CR to register a new bike. They didn't ask to see my passport, but simply told me they didn't issue them any more. Anyone venture a guess as to what happens in the case of expats with no consular presence in CM?

The entire thing is a waste of time in my case since I'm moving in two weeks anyway and didn't have a lease for the new place at the time I bought the bike.

Edited by Greenside

I made it clear that I had a retirement extension and that I wanted the CR to register a new bike. They didn't ask to see my passport, but simply told me they didn't issue them any more. Anyone venture a guess as to what happens in the case of expats with no consular presence in CM?

The entire thing is a waste of time in my case since I'm moving in two weeks anyway and didn't have a lease for the new place at the time I bought the bike.

You get the paper from your BKK Embassy if you have no consul in CM or you get a Residence Book(yellow book).

But if your conversation at CM Immigration was as brief as you described it, you might try again with some light chatting to see if you can get them to look at your passport/retirement extension and see if there is some way they could help you. Could be worth a try considering your alternatives. There have been numerous misunderstandings at CM Immigration.

Edited by Bill97

• 1 month later...

You get the paper from your BKK Embassy if you have no consul in CM or you get a Residence Book(yellow book).

But if your conversation at CM Immigration was as brief as you described it, you might try again with some light chatting to see if you can get them to look at your passport/retirement extension and see if there is some way they could help you. Could be worth a try considering your alternatives. There have been numerous misunderstandings at CM Immigration.

Since about september 2006 the Residence Certificate is only granted to people who have a one year visa/extension. Not for non-immigrant O, multiple entry though and other visa that need border runs.

If you need a RC, you now have to see your consulate in person and pay for it. Pitty for all people who, like me, have their consulate in BKK. Cost you two days and alot Baht.

The Dutch consulate visits CNX several times a year. get yourself registered at your consulate or at least put yourself on their mailinglist, so you get informed about visits and other 'important' things.

Cosulates however do not advise on visa stuff and are in no way interested to afgue the Thai system.

I hope this driver lisence/pasport thing works, since plan to buy a car this year.

"When I got my Thai driver's license in Phayao the WP was enough, they didn't need the residence certificate (which I had anyway). Of course, that was Phayao. CM could be totally different. "

In Chiang Mai it is same.

That is not my experience. When I went to get my driver's licenses (car and bike) renewed in Chiangmai last week, I was told I needed to bring a residence certificate from my consulate, and was handed a list of required documents that included the same residence certificate.

"When I got my Thai driver's license in Phayao the WP was enough, they didn't need the residence certificate (which I had anyway). Of course, that was Phayao. CM could be totally different. "

That is not my experience. When I went to get my driver's licenses (car and bike) renewed in Chiangmai last week, I was told I needed to bring a residence certificate from my consulate, and was handed a list of required documents that included the same residence certificate.

Really? If you have a closer look at that list of required documents, i'm sure it'll say residence certificate OR work permit OR yellow residence book. I went not too long ago, and just a work permit was fine.

Really? If you have a closer look at that list of required documents, i'm sure it'll say residence certificate OR work permit OR yellow residence book. I went not too long ago, and just a work permit was fine.

Yes, you're correct, and perhaps I misread the previous posts. In any case, I don't have a work permit and have no idea what a yellow residence book is. Anyone know what one needs to do, and how one needs to be qualified, to get and have one?

[quote name='elephantkungfu' post='1901199' date='2008-03-31

Yes, you're correct, and perhaps I misread the previous posts. In any case, I don't have a work permit and have no idea what a yellow residence book is. Anyone know what one needs to do, and how one needs to be qualified, to get and have one?

A yellow Certificate, is the farang equivilant of the Tabian Baan that every Thai person must be registered under. It holds the names of the persons that live in a residence..

You can either be the Chow Baan (Head of the household) or one of the members.

If you know the owner of the house, you can ask him to put you in their Tabian Baan. However since you are a farang, your entry will be in a the Yellow book.

Unless you know he owner very well, they will be reluctant to do this.

If you are the owner of the house and can show that the house was built under your name (the building plans are under your name) then you can also get your own yellow book and be the head of the household, which means that anyone living in your house you can also be included in your yellow book.

For Condo owners, you can also have your name put in a yellow book.

You need to go to the district office and the process takes about 1 week.

The yellow book can be used anywhere proof of address is required and it never expires.

When photocopied it looks exactly like a Thai Tabian Baan :o

Edited by THAIJAMES