Garden Birds - What Do You Get

Richb2004v2

I have a small garden and like to watch the various birds that visit. We don’t put any food out for them but we still get some interesting birds. I am interested to know what the birds are and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent English language bird book that I can buy in Thailand.

Also, I am thinking that if I put out some bird feeders, as I used to in the UK, I should surely attract a wider variety of birds. I bought some bird food from a local pet shop today but they didn’t stock any feeders. I also had a quick look in Tesco and couldn’t see anything. Has anyone any idea where I might pick up some feeders in the Pattaya area and what types of feeders have you had success of? Do any of you take any interest in the birds in your garden and what kind of birds do you have visiting?

I put up two bird boxes about 18 months ago and they have remained empty since. I guess that with the garden being small it will be difficult to entice any tenants to the box. Any tips on that?

There are loads of different birds in my garden, the usual Mynas ( crested and common), Wrens,Robins, Sparrows, then there's more unusual ones Coucal's , Oriol's both of which i can always hear before i see them. The Bee-Eaters are often on high wires on the roadside outside my house, i've seen a King Fisher ( there's a small river just down the road),Barbets, but the best is an Barn Owl that i've seen on a few occasions. Up until about a month ago i'd a nice pair of red-whiskered bulbuls but it seems that there's a craze here in Phuket, everywhere i go they're in cages just hanging there in the hot sun, makes me so mad as they are wild birds and shouldn't be in cages. It seems that their beautiful song is their only crime. :o I"ve never tried bird boxes so can't help there, but i'm sure if you put up feeders you'll get many different birds, try those special feeders with sugar liquid in - they attract beautiful sunbirds and spiderhunters.

There's lots of "Birds of Thailand" books you'll find in any good book store, although i've not found one yet with as much information as they seem to have on British birds, nest descriptions, eggs etc etc.

for a book about the birds of Thailand look at This Thread

As for garden birds, well you'll surely have Nok Krajok (Sparrows, most likely Tree although House and Plain-backed are possible)

a few bulbul species... (i get Red Whiskered, Streak-eared amongst others)

my 'garden list' is extensive, but various species of flycatchers, Sunbird's. Spiderhunter's, Tailorbirds, Prinia's, Warblers, Mynah's, Dove's, Kingfisher's, Munia's, Hawks & Owls along with too many others to list here all put in an appearance. One thing i never do is supplement them with feeders though (as i would in the UK) so i can't recommend any decent sources.. why not just 'knock' up a wooden table yourself ?

I don’t recall seeing birdfeeders anywhere in Thailand.

Nuts and Grains which one would normally put in bird feeders in the colder climates of UK and USA are not particularly attractive to birds living in warmer climates.

You could try putting some cooked rice on a birdtable – note, cooked rice, not raw.

You will find that fruits are a major attraction for a lot of birds – I have a large Star Apple (Mafeung) just outside my kitchen window which attracts many species. If you don’t have a fruiting tree try buying Papaya, Bananas and Roseapples etc. and put them out on a birdtable.

You could also try making your own birdfeeder to attract Sunbirds, filling it with well sugared water or, better, slightly watered down honey. Look on the ‘Net for designs for Hummingbird Feeders. (There are no Hummingbirds in Thailand of course but the feeder design is the same.)

Patrick

I have the usual assortment of birds in the garden and every morning I throw out the left-over rice for them plus any bread that may be left.

Recently we have had a woodpecker come to visit on a daily basis, but he/she does not eat the food thrown out.

There are also 2 pigeons that live in one of our coconut trees. Every morning between 7.30am and 8.00am they fight each other for about 10 minutes. Don't know what that's all about. Maybe one doesn't come home at night!

There are loads of different birds in my garden, the usual Mynas ( crested and common), Wrens

Just a note.

I don’t think you are seeing a Wren – the only Wren in Thailand is the Northern Wren and it’s not common at all, mainly found in NE Burma.

What you see is most likely a Tailorbird, they are common in Thailand – about the size of the European Wren with a similar “cocked tail” posture and a very loud, monotonous call “chip chip chip”…………….

Patrick

As I've got the only small bit of jungle in my neighborhood (the entire area is row after row of shop houses). I've had Greater Racket-tailed Drongos, Grey-capped Woodpeckers, Greater Coucals, Coppersmith Barbets, Olive-backed Sunbirds, a warbler I couldn't ID, Asian Koels, Yellow-vented Bulbuls, Red-eyed Bulbuls, a Collared Scops Owl and the coolest ever was four Black Bazas landed in my sataw tree for a few minutes!

I don't put food out because I worry that my neighbors would see that that attracts birds and they'd do the same thing to trap them.

Had this guy visit and stay for quite a while, just looking at me while I took his picture.

Have a couple of magpie robins, some drongo's Asian Fairy Bluebirds and a visiting Chinese Pond Heron that likes my fish pond.

post-22250-1207449993_thumb.jpg

I don't recall seeing birdfeeders anywhere in Thailand.

Nuts and Grains which one would normally put in bird feeders in the colder climates of UK and USA are not particularly attractive to birds living in warmer climates.

You could try putting some cooked rice on a birdtable – note, cooked rice, not raw.

You will find that fruits are a major attraction for a lot of birds – I have a large Star Apple (Mafeung) just outside my kitchen window which attracts many species. If you don't have a fruiting tree try buying Papaya, Bananas and Roseapples etc. and put them out on a birdtable.

You could also try making your own birdfeeder to attract Sunbirds, filling it with well sugared water or, better, slightly watered down honey. Look on the 'Net for designs for Hummingbird Feeders. (There are no Hummingbirds in Thailand of course but the feeder design is the same.)

Patrick

Bird feeders, went yesterday into the small shop at the local Market [sells mostly fish, fish tanks, foods, flowers, and everything for gardens] this shop I buy all the dog food + all the fish food, as it is the cheapest around, they had hanging brid feeders 3 different 65baht - 135 baht and hanging water feeders 45 baht.. + many different bird food 30 - 65 baht kg.

Myself I have a hanging metal plant pot [now 4years old] which I put a plastic under pot tray in the ring, for the food [= very easy to keep clean] I have a bowl on a stand for the water... Total this year I have 16 bird nests in the trees around the house, + 2 on the house, in the front and on one side there are babies in 4 nests.. the birds love to stand on the stones of my waterfall and drink, and use the ?drinking bowl to wash in.

Edited by ignis

On the subject of birds, does anyone know how to stop them flying into windows? My windows are fitted with slightly smoked, reflective glass common here and over the last couple of years I must have had a dozen or so birdstrikes. Sadly, a couple of fatalities although two of the more exotic victims, an Indian Cuckoo and a Siberian Rubythroat were able to continue their travels after recuperating for a few hours in a shoebox.

On a brighter note, these windows allow me to get really good close up views from inside the house of my resident Tailorbird who fights his reflection every morning and Sunbirds looking for spiders in the corner of the frames.

That’s a great picture of the owl.

After I posted I realized that Uk birds probably eat different things due to the cold climate. As someone said the nuts and things are probably not the right food for Thai birds.

Some interesting posts with some real exotic sounding birds. I’m going to try to get a book tomorrow so I will be able to list my visitors.

That’s a great picture of the owl.

After I posted I realized that Uk birds probably eat different things due to the cold climate. As someone said the nuts and things are probably not the right food for Thai birds.

Some interesting posts with some real exotic sounding birds. I’m going to try to get a book tomorrow so I will be able to list my visitors.

I have "Birds of Thailand" book by Craig Robertson, Baht 695 from Bookazine, it has big easy full color plates and is easy to use. When I see a bird for the first time I bookmark the page with the date I saw him. I also keep one set of binoculers next to my chair on the patio. Not a very professional way to bird watch but it keeps me happy. :o

I have a small garden and like to watch the various birds that visit. We don’t put any food out for them but we still get some interesting birds. I am interested to know what the birds are and wondered if anyone could recommend a decent English language bird book that I can buy in Thailand.

Also, I am thinking that if I put out some bird feeders, as I used to in the UK, I should surely attract a wider variety of birds. I bought some bird food from a local pet shop today but they didn’t stock any feeders. I also had a quick look in Tesco and couldn’t see anything. Has anyone any idea where I might pick up some feeders in the Pattaya area and what types of feeders have you had success of? Do any of you take any interest in the birds in your garden and what kind of birds do you have visiting?

I put up two bird boxes about 18 months ago and they have remained empty since. I guess that with the garden being small it will be difficult to entice any tenants to the box. Any tips on that?

I don't get many birds, but these guys keep showing up.

I never tried to upload a photo before so I hope this works.

Mike

post-20574-1207535183_thumb.jpg

A bit off-topic, but the minah birds ("nok iang") that are very common in most of Thailand are very often hit by cars during their young life, as they seem to like living very close to human habitation. I have unfortunately hit a few myself during my travels. :o

My accountant at work found an injured one a few years ago, and took it home to try and help it recover. It indeed recovered, and actually refused to fly off after it regained flight. It is now a family pet, and apparently is a brilliant "talker" (mimic).

This guy likes to give me a fright every morning.

post-20574-1207535441_thumb.jpg

post-20574-1207535628_thumb.jpg

I like the Thai Mynahs hanging around. I enjoy their chatter, whistles "laughs" and other "songs". Over the years, I have found that they like cooked and dry rice .. but they really like cream crackers.

I have heard that they are very easy to domesticate remaining uncaged. The Thais do it by lacing rice with Mekong .. then when the birds are tipsy they can be handled, petted, etc .. and lose their fear of humans .. which may not be such a good thing.

I like the Thai Mynahs hanging around. I enjoy their chatter, whistles "laughs" and other "songs". Over the years, I have found that they like cooked and dry rice .. but they really like cream crackers.

I have heard that they are very easy to domesticate remaining uncaged. The Thais do it by lacing rice with Mekong .. then when the birds are tipsy they can be handled, petted, etc .. and lose their fear of humans .. which may not be such a good thing.

When i first saw a mynah here i thought it was the same as we had back in the uk as a kid, an indian hill mynah, with their tongue split they can equal a parrot in vocabulaty, my wife tells me the thais dont eat them normally ( unusual ) as they de-bug their buffaloes ! :o

I bought this chap, a Red Billed Blue Magpie, from a local who had kept it in a very small cage. It was in a bit of a mess and had lost all its tail feathers but he's now looking better after a couple of moults. I tried to release it but it just hung around the garden showing it's gratitude by swooping down and attacking me whenever I went out even drawing blood on occasion. Funny, considering his past, he's pretty cool with Thais and only has a go at Farangs. "Devilbird" is now back in jail for his own and my protection.

post-45709-1207542938_thumb.jpgpost-45709-1207542890_thumb.jpg

We have plenty of birds around our place and I love listening to, and watching them. Among them are Mynas, Starlings, Pond Herons, a pair of Grey Herons, Kingfishers, Bulbuls, and Drongos.

But.......if I was bird in Thailand, I don't think this is where I would build my nest!!

rgds

• 3 weeks later...

We keep getting these black tufty headed birds - like a British blackbird with a shaggy head. My pocketbook which I've just got seems to suggest it's a black barbul but mentions that it is resident in the north and north east - we're in the southwest (Phuket). Any ideas what it is?

Also... moderator, would it be an idea to have some kind of Wildlife forum going - birds, animals in Thailand? Just an idea.

Are they white vented mynas? They sport a kind of quiff above the beak and are common throughout Thailand. Have thet got patches of white on the wings?

I support your request for a wildlife sub forum - plants, pets and vets is full of cats and dogs.

My children came home with a little squirrel in a cage.

After a week or two someone left the cage door open and it ran away.

My wife left the cage in place, with food, and few days later he was back.

Finding life in the wild rather hard?

He now comes and goes as he likes and has even brought Mrs Squirrel to visit. :o

My children came home with a little squirrel in a cage.

I saw on woman with a pet squirrel in what looked like a camera case - a small padded case with a zipper. The squirrel was sitting happily inside with the zip opened. I just happened to have some peanuts on me so I handed it some and it grabbed one and ate it. For some strange reason it didn't occur to me to take a picture of it. Later I saw her with it on her shoulder.

Regards garden birds, I get these in my garden all the time - usually in pairs. They come up to the bug screen and have a look inside before hopping off.

post-35489-1208891279_thumb.jpg

But a few days ago one of them was making a h3ll of a racket. It was going berserk! So I made the usual noises to frighten it off, but it still kept squawking. So I got up and went to have a look. It was hovering over the grass and making a lot of noise and then it dived to the ground and attacked what I hadn't seen - a small green-brown snake about a meter long. The snake quickly slithered off to a storm drain that surrounds my garden. A few minutes later I saw the bird squawking away in the corner of the garden - I guess that's where the snake had gone. Didn't have my camera ready, but great to watch!

We do have the Pets forum.... not really wildlife tho.

Why not start a thread in Forum support and if there appears to be enough interest you could probably talk admin into creating a subforum.

OK, back to your bird watching :o

Perhaps you could rename the Pets Forum "Pets and Wildlife" Forum?

Here's some 'wild life' from my garden:

post-35489-1209024455_thumb.jpgpost-35489-1209024537_thumb.jpg