Sony Handicam Download Difficulties

Hi

I have recenty purchased a Sony handicam, model TRV460 but I'm having major difficulties downloading to the computer. Ihave folowed all instructions in the manual to te letter but unable to download. Using the CD-Rom suppied with camer I can download with and enhace music but I want to keep the original voices recorded on the tape and not having the speech replaced by music is not an option.

Can anyone suggest a basic program that can be downloaded from the net to download to computer and simple editing. I am rinning XP Professional.

If you could please help it would be appreciated.

.................Slippery...........................

Hi

I have recenty purchased a Sony handicam, model TRV460 but I'm having major difficulties downloading to the computer. Ihave folowed all instructions in the manual to te letter but unable to download. Using the CD-Rom suppied with camer I can download with and enhace music but I want to keep the original voices recorded on the tape and not having the speech replaced by music is not an option.

Can anyone suggest a basic program that can be downloaded from the net to download to computer and simple editing. I am rinning XP Professional.

If you could please help it would be appreciated.

.................Slippery...........................

I have a Sony of my owny and first of all I had to buy the video capture card 3,00 baht, which includes the software that you are looking for. Then film/photo to the memory stick rather than film and then download that to the computer. Your computer will see the stick as a drive by itself. You can then use any Windows program (I recommend either Windows Media Player 10 or WinAmp) to see the film or photos. Works a lot better than going from tape to digital. Good luck and keep us posted.

Depends a lot on what you're aiming for. As I recall, the Sonys have the option of getting video via USB(mpeg stream) or Firewire(dv stream). If you can live with the low quality, then you can use the mpeg stream, but you'd need Sony drivers to get the video. Otherwise, you can get it via a card reader through the memory stick.

If you want firewire, you need a firewire port on your computer. Most normal computers don't come with one, but high-end computers and laptops do. Firewire gives the exact copy of the information on the tape, and so gives you the highest quality. A cheap firewire card goes for less than 1000 baht, and you can get any video editing program to edit the video (premiere, ulead, ms moviemaker, etc). If you just want to capture, a free capture program used by many is "windv". Capturing by firewire will give you DVD-quality video.

Is it possible to download the Sony Drivers from the internet, or the contents of the CD Rom. (I have lost my CD Rom, typical)

i've never had to download any drivers for my sony stuff - they use the generic winxp WDM driver model......just plug the thing in and away it goes.