Staying Still

Thomas_Merton

When we stay in LOS, all our time, measured in months not weeks, is spent cantered around the family farm north of Sukkothai. We always fly on arrival at BKK with Bangkok Air to Sukkthai. Primarily because we are anxious to visit the family as soon as possible, but also because we both agree that Sukkothai airport is of such beauty, it is difficult for us to imagine a more apt entrance into LOS.

We spend a lot of time travelling around the surrounding area either by car or motorcycle visiting family and places of interest – I’ve probably visited as many temples, both in ruin and occupied as my wife has cousins!

Around about every 14 days I get an almost uncontrollable urge to visit shops containing goods a little more sophisticated than those found in Chang’s Grocery Emporium. At these times, I take off for BKK, not by plane, car or motorcycle, but by my preferred method of transport in LOS, by train.

I take the early morning train (about six hours to BKK) enjoying the comforts of extreme air-conditioning, Thai train food, panoramic views of the Thai countryside and very rarely a farang face.

I then spend a hectic 8 hours rushing from bookshop to bookshop, via Printip and Seacon centres, getting myself fixed with so-called western necessities. The trip is usually finished off with an almost European evening snack of pancakes, coffee and cakes in the World Trade Centre.

The trip home is always by the night train. This time the train is full of farang on their way to Chang Mai and there is always someone who has a whole mass of questions about life in LOS. Why they ask me has always amazed me until my wife pointed out to me no matter how many times I shower or change my clothes it takes about a week to loose the smell of the farm!

The point of writing this, is to ask members about their favourite methods of moving around in LOS.

Do members move around at all? Perhaps the majority prefer to stay in one place.

Where do you go? What do you see? How do you get there?

What places apart from your immediate area interest you and why?

Edited by Thomas_Merton

......  The point of writing this, is to ask members about their favourite methods of moving around in LOS.

Do members move around at all? Perhaps the majority prefer to stay in one place.

Where do you go? What do you see? How do you get there?

What places apart from you immediate area interest you and why?

My ever reliable Pickup

Mostly to beaches or Surin; Temples and water, see above

Amost everything, there is so much to see

I spend most of my time living in working in Bangkok, but whenever the time is available we leave the city, and ultimately prefer the beach.

I love to get in my car and get out of the city. I'll drive anywhere if time is available. We leave the city in the wee hours (4:30 or 5 AM) when driving north. You are clear of the city before it wakes up and traffic starts, and can be in Chiang Mai in time for a late lunch.

Flying is the next option when travelling south to Phuket or Krabi for a short visit- 2 or 3 days. I have made this drive twice when a week or more was available to us. It takes 12 - 14 hours to drive, so doesn't make sense for a weekend trip.

My favorite weekend or 3/4 day getaway is Ko Samed. It is easily accessible from Bangkok, less than 3 hours drive. I usually stay at Ploy Talay resort on Sai Kaew beach. This beach is one of my favorites in all of Thailand- the whitest sand and clearest water- can see your feet when the water is up to your chin.

The hotel is truly "Thai" style and is located directly on the sand, and the restaurant is decent. At night they set up Thai "triangle" cushions with low tables and straw mats for dinner. Very relaxing and enjoyable to lie back on the beach and enjoy a decent meal from a western and Thai menu.

The whole trip is also extremely inexpensive- I always take the "best" room- aircon and hot water for less than 1000 B. Basic room with fan can be had for less than 500.

Edited by bino

I go virtually everywhere by car. My pic-up (4 door 4wd Isuzu) Is less than 2 years old and has got more than 100,000 km on the clock. From Nakorn Sawan (central thai) Been as far north as Chang Mai, South-Phuket. North East-Nong Kai. East passed Korat and west Kan or Mae Sot. Never really been "far east into the depths of issan though.

My favorite transportation is the two wheeled cart pulled by a two wheeled tractor. The 'thump, thump, thump' of the one lung diesel motor is very soothing as it moves you across the rice fields at a gentle walking pace. Plenty of time to look around at the clouds and cows floating over and on the field of green. You don't need to signal when you change lanes!!!!

Chownah

My favorite transportation is the two wheeled cart pulled by a two wheeled tractor. The 'thump, thump, thump' of the one lung diesel motor is very soothing as it moves you across the rice fields at a gentle walking pace. Plenty of time to look around at the clouds and cows floating over and on the field of green. You don't need to signal when you change lanes!!!!

Chownah

I agree with you Chowna, however you couldn't really travel far in one of those things. Probably wouldn't be allowed in Bangkok!

As for travel, it depends on how much time you have. I fly to Bangkok.

I travel short distances by car. If I have time, I sometimes travel by train, this is my favourite type of transport. I love songtaew too depending on the weather(heat). I also like taking the motorbike on a cross country run, stopping at little somtam shops for a refreshment and a chat. I love the look on their faces when they see a giant farang approaching on a little motorbike.

My favorite weekend or 3/4 day getaway is Ko Samed. It is easily accessible from Bangkok, less than 3 hours drive. I usually stay at Ploy Talay resort on Sai Kaew beach. This beach is one of my favorites in all of Thailand- the whitest sand and clearest water- can see your feet when the water is up to your chin.

The hotel is truly "Thai" style and is located directly on the sand, and the restaurant is decent. At night they set up Thai "triangle" cushions with low tables and straw mats for dinner. Very relaxing and enjoyable to lie back on the beach and enjoy a decent meal from a western and Thai menu.

The whole trip is also extremely inexpensive- I always take the "best" room- aircon and hot water for less than 1000 B. Basic room with fan can be had for less than 500.

I've heard of Ko Samad beaches turning very filthy with piles of trash all along the beach after many senseless Thai tourists started to flock into the island. Is this still the case now? :o

And where can you find a safe place to park your car while you're on the island? I don't believe there's a ferry that you can take your car to Ko Samed, is there not?

i like to drive , and to explore the back roads.

i also like the railways , but my wife hates the trains .... (something to do with the toilets) , so every now and again i will take to the rails for a few days , and wherever possible avoid the night trains. i like to watch the countryside pass by.

the destinations on my rail jaunts are not important , its the journey that i like.

i dont like air travel , and i keep off the buses.

if it was colder here then i'd like to spend a week or so walking from bangkok to sukhothai.

Nordlys.

I was in Koh Samed not that long ago. I too was impressed by the place. I think the rubbish thing may just depend on what beach you are on. Mine was great. We paid extra for secured parking (in a lock up) cant remember how much, about 100bhat a night?? . No you cant take your car over.

Nordlys.

I was in Koh Samed not that long ago. I too was impressed by the place. I think the rubbish thing may just depend on what beach you are on. Mine was great. We paid extra for secured parking (in a lock up) cant remember how much, about 100bhat a night?? . No you cant take your car over.

Thanks for the info. :o

What beach did you stay at?

And the parking is near the pier?

Actually I don't even know where the pier for a boat that takes you to the island is. I'm assuming somewhere in Rayong though.

Nordlys.

Actually I don't even know where the pier for a boat that takes you to the island is. I'm assuming somewhere in Rayong though.

I like to stay on Ao Vong Duan, plenty of accomodation there, also nice restaurants along the beach.

There is a nicer beach (some may say) called Sai Kaew, but it's gets more of a "traveller" kind of person, no problems.... but I just prefer Vong Duan

Not sure where the parking is...

You can get a boat to Ko Samet from Ban Phe.

I saw no rubbish on the beach... there is sometimes some behind each "resort", but it's kept well out of the way and you won't normally see it...

totster :D

I've heard of Ko Samad beaches turning very filthy with piles of trash all along the beach after many senseless Thai tourists started to flock into the island.  Is this still the case now?  :o

And where can you find a safe place to park your car while you're on the island?  I

There is a good parking lot at the ferry terminal in Ban Phe. Parking costs 50 or 60 baht per day (can't remember) and the ferry is 100 baht for round trip. If you stay in Sai Kaew or the other beaches inside the national park area, you will probably have to pay 200 baht per foreigner and 20 baht per Thai for national park fee. (This pisses me off- discrimination - but that's a different subject.) All of the songtaews coming from the ferry stop at the guard shack.

If you are going in a group with 4 or more farangs you can get a speedboat at the dock for 800 baht, which will drop you on the beach in front of your hotel, bypassing the guard shack. Once you are there, the guards won't bother you. They only hit new arrivals with luggage.

Don't go to Samed during a long weekend or Thai holiday such as Songkran, New Year etc. It is jammed with Thai people, which might result in the mess you describe. I've never seen it, and I've been there a dozen times or more.

Nordlys.

I like to stay on Ao Vong Duan, plenty of accomodation there, also nice restaurants along the beach.

There is a nicer beach (some may say) called Sai Kaew, but it's gets more of a "traveller" kind of person, no problems.... but I just prefer Vong Duan

Not sure where the parking is...

You can get a boat to Ko Samet from Ban Phe.

I saw no rubbish on the beach... there is sometimes some behind each "resort", but it's kept well out of the way and you won't normally see it...

Glad you posted that Toster, cos I could'nt remember the name of the beach. That's where I stayed Vong Duan, went over to Sai Gaew for a look but did'nt like it that much... each to their own.

Thanks for all the infos Toster, bino and RandomChances.

So Ko Samed will be where I and my wife will spend the next holiday (well, that's after Ko Chang with my parents and wife this month end).

As for me and my wife, we work six days a week and the longest holiday we get is like 5 days for Songkran + my 9 years old, 225,000km Honda Civic is really starting to get worn out and unreliable so we don't do much travelling in Thailand these days. I haven't even been to Pattaya in almost two years. And having born and raised in Thailand I don't have a strong urge for domestic travelling (not that I don't like it) so every once in 2 or 3 years we take a big holiday and go somewhere far and different like Europe and if we can't afford that, maybe neighboring Laos, Burma, Vietnam or Nepal. My wife hasn't been out of SEAsia before she got to know me, so I've been encouraging her to see the world and have travelled overseas together whenever we could find time and afford it (well, so far just twice to Japan and just done 17 days in Italy/Netherlands this new year) and this will probably continue as long as possible (planning a trip to US this winter) and then we'll start to look back to domestic destinations in Thailand where we'll live permanently.

Edited by Nordlys

I would rather play a game of russian roulette than get on another cross-country Thai bus. The entire national staff of drivers ought to be fired and jailed.

I really enjoy travelling by train with the windows down, the breeze hitting me in the face (sticking my head out occasionally) gazing at all the interesting small towns along the way.

I also dont mind the train. I wont take a bus if i can take a train. If i'm going south to the island then its by train and then abus. We fly a bit too. If we goto CM the we fly as its quicker and we usually are only up for 3-4 days. So dont want to sit on a train.

... Sukkothai airport is of such beauty, it is difficult for us to imagine a more apt entrance into LOS ....

I couldn't agree more,

The small Suk airport with it's Lilly ponds and gardens is beautiful and puts me in a great frame of mind.

Trains though, will always be a little too slow for me, albeit they're the perfect way to see the countryside. :o

My preferred method is my old trusty (& rusty) "Jakayan" - bicycle.

Off I go in the morning to the little shop down my gravel road for the obligatory bag of lao khao to get the heart started.

It's got big fat tires and can handle all sorts of terrain...and cheap! :o

My preferred method is my old trusty (& rusty) "Jakayan" - bicycle.

Off I go in the morning to the little shop down my gravel road for the obligatory  bag of lao khao to get the heart started.

It's got big fat tires and can handle all sorts of terrain...and cheap! :D

My trusty bike only cost me bt2500....it's got gears and brakes... and my wife can sit on the little seat on the back while I ride around the village... the villagers find it hilarious... :o

I took a train trip the other day to Nam Pong, near Khon Kaen. I had forgotten how relaxing the train is. I have decided to travel more by train, taking the over night to Bangkok instead of the plane. It actually works out the same price but the train is great, and as they say in Thai, "ถึงก็ช่าง ไม่ถึงก็ช่าง". or "tĕung gôr châang, mâi tĕung gôr châang"(thanks RDN for writing it like that!).

Meaning whether we arrive or not, who cares.

I spend most of my time living in working in Bangkok, but whenever the time is available we leave the city, and ultimately prefer the beach.

I love to get in my car and get out of the city. I'll drive anywhere if time is available. We leave the city in the wee hours (4:30 or 5 AM) when driving north. You are clear of the city before it wakes up and traffic starts, and can be in Chiang Mai in time for a late lunch.

Flying is the next option when travelling south to Phuket or Krabi for a short visit- 2 or 3 days. I have made this drive twice when a week or more was available to us. It takes 12 - 14 hours to drive, so doesn't make sense for a weekend trip.

Hi Bino,what is the traffic like at 6.00am in BKK?, as we are coming over next friday to stay in BKK for 3 nights.

We are being picked up by destination asia transfer company and taken the Radisson Hotel near th expressway link road?

We are staying in Pattaya for 17 night and someone posted that you could get a cheap minibus down the cost from pattaya,would that be possibly to get a boat connection to Koh Samet Island?,appreciate your help advice.

What was the name of the Hotel you sayed at that you mentioned on Koh Samet?.

regards

Love You Long Time :o

Hi Bino,what is the traffic like at 6.00am in BKK?, as we are coming over next friday to stay in BKK for 3 nights.

We are being picked up by destination asia transfer company and taken the Radisson Hotel near th expressway link road?

We are staying in Pattaya for 17 night and someone posted that you could get a cheap minibus down the cost from pattaya,would that be possibly to get a boat connection to Koh Samet Island?,appreciate your help advice.

regards

Traffic at 6 AM is not bad. Most people are still waking up / getting ready for work. From 7 AM thru 9 AM it is h*llacious.

The trip from the airport to Radisson doesn't involve going into the city centre and at 6 AM should take about 40 mins.

I don't know too much about minibuses and tourist transportation because I live here and have a car, but I am sure that the same transport company could take you to Ban Phe, where the ferry terminal is located. Alternatively, any Pattaya tour / travel agent could sort you out. I don't think there are any boats available to Samed from Pattaya.

I like to stay at Ploy Talay Resort on Sai Kaew beach. There are many resorts and restaurants on this beach. Others have recommended Vong Duan Beach, which is also nice.

Ploy Talay is very basic- in the typical Thai style. It wouldn't rate any stars in the toursit guide! But- that is part of it's charm. They don't have a website either yet.

Hope this helps. Maybe some other members will have some input about transportation.

regards

Traffic at 6 AM is not bad. Most people are still waking up / getting ready for work. From 7 AM thru 9 AM it is h*llacious.

The trip from the airport to Radisson doesn't involve going into the city centre and at 6 AM should take about 40 mins.

I don't know too much about minibuses and tourist transportation because I live here and have a car, but I am sure that the same transport company could take you to Ban Phe, where the ferry terminal is located. Alternatively, any Pattaya tour / travel agent could sort you out. I don't think there are any boats available to Samed from Pattaya.

I like to stay at Ploy Talay Resort on Sai Kaew beach. There are many resorts and restaurants on this beach. Others have recommended Vong Duan Beach, which is also nice.

Ploy Talay is very basic- in the typical Thai style. It wouldn't rate any stars in the toursit guide! But- that is part of it's charm. They don't have a website either yet.

Hope this helps. Maybe some other members will have some input about transportation.

Thanks Bino,your reply back was very helpful indeed,gave us an idea of how long from BKK Airport to the Hotel.Any comments on the Radisson Hotel?.

thenks

LYLT

Thanks Bino,your reply back was very helpful indeed,gave us an idea of how long from BKK Airport to  the Hotel.Any comments on the Radisson Hotel?.

thenks

LYLT

Can't comment on Radisson- never been inside. I only know where it is!

I would rather play a game of russian roulette than get on another cross-country Thai bus.  The entire national staff of drivers ought to be fired and jailed.

I really enjoy travelling by train with the windows down, the breeze hitting me in the face (sticking my head out occasionally) gazing at all the interesting small towns along the way.

I traveled on a train out of Korat on my last trip. We were only out the station about five minutes when we stopped. After a delay of 15 minutes or so, we traveled backwards to where we started. Turns out the train hit a small pickup truck and we had to sit at the station for awhile. We go to see what was left of the truck when we passed the crossing the next time out.

kts03.jpg

This was my then 3 year old grandson with his 70+ year old grand uncle at the Korat train station.

Edit: <deleted>? Can we no longer post images??

Edited by dclaryjr