Thai Wine

sabaijai

There are now six wineries in Thailand making European style wine. The only one I've tried, more than once, is Chateau de Loei. I've even visited the winery a couple of times. Their chenin blanc is OK but I haven't cared for any of the reds they've produced yet.

Has anyone found a good red wine made in Thailand? PB Khao Yai certainly talks a good game (from their website, with fractured english):

PB Valley Khao Yai Reserve Red Wine

PB Valley Khao Yai Reserve 2000 Red Wine is made from Shiraz (90%) and Tempranillo (10%) grapes, and matured in oak barrels more than two years. The wine has an intense palate with rich scents of oak overlaid by faint highlights of coffee, chocolate and fruits. Its taste is smooth but yet strong with alcohol content of 13.5%. Since the climate of year 2000 is good for vineyard, grapes can be ripened well making wine’s after taste last long. The wine is perfect accompaniment with red meat dishes. To meet the greatest taste of the wine, it is recommended to be served at 15-18 °C.

• 4 months later...
There are now six wineries in Thailand making European style wine. The only one I've tried, more than once, is Chateau de Loei. I've even visited the winery a couple of times. Their chenin blanc is OK but I haven't cared for any of the reds they've produced yet.

Has anyone found a good red wine made in Thailand? PB Khao Yai certainly talks a good game (from their website, with fractured english):

PB Valley Khao Yai Reserve Red Wine

PB Valley Khao Yai Reserve 2000 Red Wine is made from Shiraz (90%) and Tempranillo (10%) grapes, and matured in oak barrels more than two years. The wine has an intense palate with rich scents of oak overlaid by faint highlights of coffee, chocolate and fruits. Its taste is smooth but yet strong with alcohol content of 13.5%. Since the climate of year 2000 is good for vineyard, grapes can be ripened well making wine’s after taste last long. The wine is perfect accompaniment with red meat dishes. To meet the greatest taste of the wine, it is recommended to be served at 15-18 °C.

sabaijai

I have been going to some OTOP shops on the way up from Nakhaon Sawan on the way home to near the Mae Wong national park and there seem to be a fair number of wines around.

I tried a bottle of Mae Ping Nakiang 2003 last week at 350 baht which was nice and I have a bottle of Krachaidam at 290 baht from Saikhao Garden in Loei that I think will go nicely with my traditional Sunday lunch, sausage, bacon, egg and fried bread.

I am the only falang for miles around so any roast dinner would be a waste unless I freeze it as none of the family would eat it.

:o:D

Put hairs on your chest.... :D

Thai Wines to go......

Chateau de Loei:

it may come as a surprise that Thailand produces wine but in Loei province winter temperatures can drop close to freezing and the mountain area known as Phu Rua has a micro-climate that supports an extensive vineyard which produces the white Chateau de Loei :D

http://www.chateaudeloei.com/

Further south, in the hotter central area of Thailand near Bangkok, Chalerm Yoovidhya (of the Red Bull empire) has planted rows of vines separated by canals and produces the popular Monsoon Valley (red, white and rose) which is now sold in Thai resteraunts and direct from the web site in the UK :D

http://www.monsoonvalleywine.com/

Queen Wine is a fruit wine made from mangosteens and is described by the makers as having the 'spirited flavour of Thai tropical fruit'.

If you've ever eaten mangosteens you can image this is true! :D

http://geocities.com/queenwine/

Wine de Lapoon is a fruity red wine made from longans, the small sweet fruit similar to lychees and known as lamyai in Thailand. The wine comes from the northern province of Lampoon ('Lapoon' is a local derivative of the provincial name).

The company that makes this wine also produce a black galangal wine to which they attribute extradorinary properties :o

http://www.phisith.com/index.htm

Put hairs on your chest.... :D

Thai Wines to go......

The company that makes this wine also produce a black galangal wine to which they attribute extradorinary properties :o

http://www.phisith.com/index.htm

I found the only thing that black galangal did for me was to make me sleep especially after a bottle, but I did sleep well and no hangover in the morning.

:D:D:D

Wang Nam Keow Winery Co.

Chateau des brumes

Made in Sarabury

Good but pricey when compared to reliable imported brands. Hard to justify the price and try it after tasting some of the crap that's produced here, but it was on par or above the typical oz wines available here in the supermarkets.

Heres some info about wineries in Thailand

http://www.tatnews.org/emagazine/2484.asp

Wang Nam Keow Winery Co.

Chateau des brumes

Made in Sarabury

Good but pricey when compared to reliable imported brands. Hard to justify the price and try it after tasting some of the crap that's produced here, but it was on par or above the typical oz wines available here in the supermarkets.

Finally someone posting that's actually found a good [grape] wine. I'm not talking about the cheap fruit wines from around the north, eg, krachai dam etc.

Since I posted I had a chance to sample a bottle from Monsoon Valley, with friends, and we were pleasantly surprised. I would buy it again at the price I paid (around 650B). Few of the 650B imported wines I've had here - not counting the occasional deep discount, (eg buy 2 get 2 free, etc) usually lasting only a week or two - have measured up to the Monsoon Valley shiraz we tried.

Wang Nam Keow Winery Co.

Chateau des brumes

Made in Sarabury

Finally someone posting that's actually found a good [grape] wine. I'm not talking about the cheap fruit wines from around the north, eg, krachai dam etc.

Since I posted I had a chance to sample a bottle from Monsoon Valley, with friends, and we were pleasantly surprised. I would buy it again at the price I paid (around 650B). Few of the 650B imported wines I've had here - not counting the occasional deep discount, (eg buy 2 get 2 free, etc) usually lasting only a week or two - have measured up to the Monsoon Valley shiraz we tried.

If you like shiraz, you may want to try Granmonte Estate as well..

Wang Nam Keow Winery Co.

Chateau des brumes

Made in Sarabury

Looks very interesting, have your tried it? Price?

thanks

thanks

Yes, I have tried them - bought the Premier Shiraz Special Reserve for around b700 - pretty good for wine in that price range - not the best Shiraz I've ever had, but good enough. I don't usually go for "big" wine, however - tend to enjoy lighter, fruitier wine.

Also visited the restaurant twice - good both times. The last time we were there in July, they were finishing up a deck that will be open during the cooler season - should be nice - fresh air, good food, decent wine....

thanks

Yes, I have tried them - bought the Premier Shiraz Special Reserve for around b700 - pretty good for wine in that price range - not the best Shiraz I've ever had, but good enough. I don't usually go for "big" wine, however - tend to enjoy lighter, fruitier wine.

Also visited the restaurant twice - good both times. The last time we were there in July, they were finishing up a deck that will be open during the cooler season - should be nice - fresh air, good food, decent wine....

Thanks for the reco, Dara. Have you also tasted Monsoon Valley and if so, could you offer a comparison (I've tried Monsoon Valley, found it very drinkable).

Thanks for the reco, Dara. Have you also tasted Monsoon Valley and if so, could you offer a comparison (I've tried Monsoon Valley, found it very drinkable).

K'Sabaijai - No, I haven't tried, but will look for it next time we're in LOS. Did you get the wine directly from the winery shop? I'm always leary about how they transport and store the wine in Thailand - unfortunately, potentially good wine got destroyed by poor handling...

K'Sabaijai - No, I haven't tried, but will look for it next time we're in LOS. Did you get the wine directly from the winery shop? I'm always leary about how they transport and store the wine in Thailand - unfortunately, potentially good wine got destroyed by poor handling...

No I had tasted Monsoon Valley at Gallery 11, the newish resto next to Suk 11, and since I knew the owner he sold me a bottle at his cost, 650B. I brought it home and did a blind tasting with two other wines, a middle-of-the-road Graves and one of the better Italian toscanos. My guests, three wine-snob friends, could scarcely believe it when I identified the Thai wine - two out of three guessed it was from Italy, the third guessed Chile.

• 4 weeks later...
A-ha ! caught you breaking the precepts sabaijai  :o

Aside from the interpretation of the particular precept you're referring to (which we should save for the Buddhism branch) did I ever say I kept the precepts? :D

By the way I recently had the opportunity to try the Gran Monte Premiere Shiraz. It was quite good, lots of fruit - more than the average shiraz - medium-bodied, no off notes. I'd say it's clearly the equal of Monsoon Valley, based on my limited samplings. It costs about the same, 650-750B.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Do imports of wine go to Thailand? I know some beers make it over there but I haven't heard of any good wines being imported. Please tell me I am wrong.

Yes they do. Many fine wines are imported into Thailand, only problem for a wine lover like me is the price! Twice the price of UK prices and not the choice. If you go to a good Tesco Lotus you will find a good range of wines, however, very few at reasonable prices.

I like the Chateau de Loei red.  It takes a bit of fiddling to get it at the right temp though (in the fridge, out for a few mins, pour, back in the fridge, drink, etc).

But what I don't get is why they have to big up the perceived value and price it so highly :D

And the Shiraz at 700 baht :o

Chateau de Loei is clearly overpriced. Domestic wines do pay a tax of 200%, while imports pay 410%, so they still should be less expensive. Of course Thai wine production is lower so I suppose you could blame economy of scale.

Still you can get a bottle of Monsoon Valley Shiraz Private Reserve for around 400B if you shop around, and it's substantially better than C de L in my opinion. I've found a place in Chiang Mai that gives me a case price of 390B per bottle.

The Gran Monte Shiraz is also quite good, and the Shala One not too bad either.

In Mae Sai you can buy untaxed Thai and international wines. Shala One in Mae Sai, for example, costs only 200B.

Re Monsoon Valley's Shiraz PR, try to get the 2003 rather than the 2004 if you can. The 03 i really impressive, the 04 just so-so.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the Chateau de Loei red.  It takes a bit of fiddling to get it at the right temp though (in the fridge, out for a few mins, pour, back in the fridge, drink, etc).

But what I don't get is why they have to big up the perceived value and price it so highly :D

Chateau de Loei is clearly overpriced. Domestic wines do pay a tax of 200%, while imports pay 410%, so they still should be less expensive. Of course Thai wine production is lower so I suppose you could blame economy of scale.

Still you can get a bottle of Monsoon Valley Shiraz Private Reserve for around 400B if you shop around, and it's substantially better than C de L in my opinion. I've found a place in Chiang Mai that gives me a case price of 390B per bottle.

In Mae Sai you can buy untaxed Thai and international wines. Shala One in Mae Sai, for example, costs only 200B.

Re Monsoon Valley's Shiraz PR, try to get the 2003 rather than the 2004 if you can. The 03 i really impressive, the 04 just so-so.

If you look at my location you'll see why I buy C de L.

If you look at my location you'll see why I buy C de L.

I hope you get a special price on it .... if not, may I suggest trying Monsoon Valley, half the cost and higher quality, by comparison.

• 1 year later...
I like the Chateau de Loei red. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it at the right temp though (in the fridge, out for a few mins, pour, back in the fridge, drink, etc).

But what I don't get is why they have to big up the perceived value and price it so highly mad.gif

And the Shiraz at 700 baht angry.gif

Up-date. I bought a case of Monsoon Valley Rose, it is excellent. It's delivered here in the UK for £4.95 a bottle and it does, as advertised, go fantastically well with spicy food.

I'll order a case of the white and red and report further...

whatever thai wine i tried during the last 2½ years wasn't even suitable to feed the bacteria in my septic tanks. however, there is a Sherry (brand "Majesty") produced by United Winery and Distillery, Nakornpathom which i use as a substitute when my supply of goanese Port is interrupted. it takes only a day or two to get used to the taste of various chemicals added.

:o