Gps Car Navigation For Thailand

I am not sure where to post this (so I'll try to cc to Computers etc.). Anyway, I just received a brochure for a GPS car navigation system that is made by Garmin, a well known name in the GPS business. It operates in Thai or English...the street names and the voice directions. It retails for 48,000 baht. I have used one in America and it works beautifully. Though I usually drive a set number of places in BKK and up-country it would be nice to have this helper when I have to sail in uncharted waters.

Anyone familiar with this car navigation system....or any other one for Thailand?

I am not sure where to post this (so I'll try to cc to Computers etc.). Anyway, I just received a brochure for a GPS car navigation system that is made by Garmin, a well known name in the GPS business. It operates in Thai or English...the street names and the voice directions. It retails for 48,000 baht. I have used one in America and it works beautifully. Though I usually drive a set number of places in BKK and up-country it would be nice to have this helper when I have to sail in uncharted waters.

Anyone familiar with this car navigation system....or any other one for Thailand?

I use Garmin a lot in my job (now in Pakistan) and I have been looking for a GPS system map for Thailand but £700 or $1300 is a lot of money to spend.

If you have a link to them can you please PM it to me. I am curious.

Cheers billd766

Hi Corkscrew  hope this web which tell about Test driving the Garmin IQue 3600 GPS.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/020305_Database...5_datacol54.php

I am looking for one too.Can you tell we where can I get one in Thailand.

Thanks.

The dealer is going to give me a demomstration this week. Anyway, their web site is www.esrith.com and their e-mail is [email protected]

I bought a Camry with the Garmin GPS system last year. Works great - 98% of the time. It will occasionally tell you to make turns that are not possible or legally questionable, but most of the time it is spot on. The manual is crap (seems to be a common Garmin complaint), but after playing around with it for a while (read: traffic jams!), I got the hang of it. Make sure you specify to the dealer that you want an English menu (rather than Thai). It requires a hardware change, which Toyota installed free of charge, once the chip (or whatever it was) had arrived. Free updates for 3 years.

One of the things I really like about it is that it lists petrol stations, banks, restaurants, bars, shopping centres, etc - which is great if you are in unfamiliar territory. Also cool for finding shortcuts, etc.

Recommended!

Trond

I bought a Camry with the Garmin GPS system last year. Works great - 98% of the time. It will occasionally tell you to make turns that are not possible or legally questionable, but most of the time it is spot on. The manual is crap (seems to be a common Garmin complaint), but after playing around with it for a while (read: traffic jams!), I got the hang of it. Make sure you specify to the dealer that you want an English menu (rather than Thai). It requires a hardware change, which Toyota installed free of charge, once the chip (or whatever it was) had arrived. Free updates for 3 years.

One of the things I really like about it is that it lists petrol stations, banks, restaurants, bars, shopping centres, etc - which is great if you are in unfamiliar territory. Also cool for finding shortcuts, etc.

Recommended!

Trond

Trond,

You are the first person to give us a hands on reply. Thanks. Which model did you get? Is it useful in Bangkok...around the city? What about navigating from address to address? Please share!

I downloaded the Mapking software (for PC) and the bangkok map from here: http://www.matlastech.com/mk7/download.htm

For those with difficulty to know the chinese to download Bangkok map, go to: 曼谷 in Step 2, or direct link : http://www.pocketcity.com.tw/DL/mapking7/Maps/Bangkok.zip

They are all in English.

If your laptop has a bluetooth, a Bluetooth GPS receiver can be bought very cheap. You can turn your laptop (or perhaps even better: tablet PCs) into GPS navigational tool with large screen display.

The map has free trial usage for 5 days. First you point to your starting point, right click and slect "start point", ditto for end point. You can tell the software for the recommended, shortest, motorway preferred or not, and the smulation will start, with English commands. Quite interesting but I have no way to know if it is accurate or not.

But I thought the map of Bangkok should extend to Samut Prakarn and the new airport area.

Please give us your thoughts after you tried the Garmin with this one.

Edited by armortec

Recommended!

Trond

Tomorrow the Garmin dealer is going to bring by the GPS for a test drive. I'll let you know how it goes.

Trond,

You are the first person to give us a hands on reply. Thanks. Which model did you get? Is it useful in Bangkok...around the city? What about navigating from address to address? Please share!

I am not quite sure what model it is (I'll try to remember to have a look later), but it came as an "extra" with the Camry. The link given in another thread

http://www.thailandoutdoor.com/OutdoorGear.../gps_part3.html

seems to be describing the type I have. I am very happy with it. Going to a new place, I can either type in the address (although getting the spelling right can be a challenge), use the pointer to find the location I want to go on the map, or search for a local landmark (hotel, shopping center, etc). The unit will then calculate either the fastest or shortest (not recommended!) route to the chosen destination. Turns will be announced verbally by the GPS, although you can turn the sound off if you find it annoying. Takes a lot of hazzle out of getting to new and unfamiliar areas. The screen will show you distance and time (based on your speed) to your next turn, and the screen will zoom in automatically when you get close to the turn.

I occasionally looses the signal when stuck in traffic under highways or skytrain, or otherwise when the sky is obstructed. Occasionally it gets funny, like telling you that you are driving in the Gulf of Thailand while you are in Hua Hin (once). Most of thiem htough, it works great.

I have stored locations like friends' residences, my office, favourite hotels, etc as waypoints, which makes them very easy to retrieve.

In addition to being a GPS, the unit also comes with a combined tape/DVD/MP3 player. Have one "naughty" DVD in the car which my wife likes to put on whenever we give one of her friends a lift. Giggles galore!

Oh, yeah - the DVD player is zoned (local), so while playing local disks, it will not do European ones (Like my Black Adder ones! :o ) Works great with MP3's though!

I initially though it was a bit extravagant to go for the GPS/DVD, but considering how much time I spend in the car, I am very glad I did.

Trond

Hi Corkscrew  hope this web which tell about Test driving the Garmin IQue 3600 GPS.

Thanks.

The dealer is going to give me a demomstration this week. Anyway, their web site is www.esrith.com and their e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks you for the info....smile.

Thanks.

Thanks you for the info....smile.

I had a test drive with the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 today. The dealer came by my apartment and showed me how it worked. Everything is in English (but, it comes with a Thai option). It is very similar to the one I have used in the States. The map face is clear as are the voice commands. You can type in the address of where you want to go or you can elect from a wide selection of menu spots (hotels, restaurants, stores, etc). Once you do so it gives you your route....and when you drive it constantly reminds you when to turn....e.g, "In 500 meters turn right." It tells you how far away you are from your destination and the estimated time of arrival based on your current pace. You can plug in your favorite spots (e.g., mia noi's house) and it will keep them in its address folder.

The only problem, for me, is that it will not read the GPS signal through my front windscreen. I need to mount a portable outside receptor on the roof. My car is a Mercedes so it is hard to feed the cable through the space between the door and the frame. So, I did not buy it today....as I want to figure out a more elegant way of making this work...not have a cable draped over the passenger.

The Bangkok company that sells this product...any many other GPS units...is Dynatrend Thai Limited. The web site is www.dynatrend-thai.com . They have another website at www.gadgetrend.com. The representative who brought the unit to me is Chansa Chaichulee. His English is very good. His e-mail is [email protected] .

The price is 44,000 baht....it's more expensive than a comparable machine sold in America. In the States they sell for under $1000.

Did you do a road test? How was it in use? How detailed is the map, in your opinion? How broad is the map coverage? Detail and poi's outside of Bkk? All major hiways? Topo map?

:o

Edited by Ajarn

Did you do a road test? How was it in use? How detailed is the map, in your opinion? How broad is the map coverage? Detail and poi's outside of Bkk? All major hiways? Topo map?

You can zoom in or out on the map. After you have asked it to route you somewhere it self zooms to where you are and shows the surrounding blocks. You can override the default and zoom out or zoom tighter. When you are in the country and traveling faster the default zoom position is further out. When you are approaching a required turn it zooms in deeply.

It's a flat multi coloured map. and it covers all of Thailand.

One of the guys on this forum has another model from the same company built into his Camry. You might ask him for deep details. He likes his. You can find his message somewhere above.

You can zoom in or out on the map. After you have asked it to route you somewhere it self zooms to where you are and shows the surrounding blocks. You can override the default and zoom out or zoom tighter. When you are in the country and traveling faster the default zoom position is further out. When you are approaching a required turn it zooms in deeply.

One of the guys on this forum has another model from the same company built into his Camry. You might ask him for deep details. He likes his. You can find his message somewhere above.

Sorry, I'd assumed that you tried it out... I was hoping for your opinion, too. :D

Trond, how are the details outside of Bkk? How well does the guided mode operate on the expressways (remembering an occasion of going around in circles for 3 hours), and in downtown streets? Turn warnings accurate?

Edited by Ajarn

I wonder how well it works in Phuket? with new roads being built everyday, is it just the case of uploading new software as more roads are developed?

I am thinking out loud, but if anyone knows - great!

cheers corkscrew, enjoyed the info!

Thank you corkscrew......44,000 baht is very expensive, which I fully agree wiht you.

Thanks for your feedback....cheer.

The US version sells for just $650. Compared to about $1,100 here. I guess all the extra is because of the local map-making. The Thai maps have been produced here by a third party.

Sorry, I'd assumed that you tried it out... I was hoping for your opinion, too. :D

Trond, how are the details outside of Bkk? How well does the guided mode operate on the expressways (remembering an occasion of going around in circles for 3 hours), and in downtown streets? Turn warnings accurate?

I did actually do a hands on....as far as the controls. But, as it would not see through my windscreen we did a static test with the thing held ouside of my car window. It is a clean machine...the Thai maps are controlled by all the software/hardware that Garmin builds. The salesman is going to come back with a remote aerial...then I'll be able to see how it really works for me driving around BKK.

Hi Corkscrew: Do you have any idea....how offen we have to up-date the software and how much do we have to pay.

The one in the States gets updated once a year....at least that's what the built in 'reminder' says. I asked the guy here and he was a little vague....he said when it was updated we'd be told.

Take a look at the ad at the top of the page on page 1 of this thread...the one in red ink for this particular Garmin model of the Street Pilot....it takes you to a swell Garmin website.

Take a look at the ad at the top of the page on page 1 of this thread...the one in red ink for this particular Garmin model of the Street Pilot....it takes you to a swell Garmin website.

Thanks, but I can't read Thai well enough, especially on technical subjects. A user review in Thailand is my best bet. The features I can learn about from you and other places.

Sure are nice screen shots. The color looks great, compared to my color one...

The price is a lot higher than in the States, but it seems that if you want the Thailand software, you must order the unit locally, at the higher price? Did I get that right?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/090305_Database...5_datacol53.php This link has the review of an out of town trip in Thailand with the IQue. It's a continuation of one of the links above. Just found it, and am reading it now.

Edited by Ajarn

Thanks, but I can't read Thai well enough, especially on technical subjects. A user review in Thailand is my best bet. The features I can learn about from you and other places.

The price is a lot higher than in the States, but it seems that if you want the Thailand software, you must order the unit locally, at the higher price? Did I get that right?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/090305_Database...5_datacol53.php This link has the review of an out of town trip in Thailand with the IQue. It's a continuation of one of the links above. Just found it, and am reading it now.

When I clicked on the ad it came up all in English....I think it is an American one as the prices are all in US dollars.

Yes, I think the 'added value' is the 3rd party work by the Thai map makers. In fact, the US Gamin site does not even mention the Thai version....it has US, Canadian, European and some South American off the shelf maps...but no mention of the Thai one. That's why I think this is a 3rd party add on. I am sure that they had technical help from Garmin as to how it should integrate but the raw material (maps) surely came from here in Bangkok.

I just checked with the local dealer(Singapore). Rumoured that Garmin wii have Thailand map from July. How true can it be? The unit 2610 is USD880 before serous price negotiation.

When I clicked on the ad it came up all in English....I think it is an American one as the prices are all in US dollars.

Yes, I think the 'added value' is the 3rd party work by the Thai map makers. In fact, the US Gamin site does not even mention the Thai version....it has US, Canadian, European and some South American off the shelf maps...but no mention of the Thai one. That's why I think this is a 3rd party add on. I am sure that they had technical help from Garmin as to how it should integrate but the raw material (maps) surely came from here in Bangkok.

The second part of the user review in Database gave some good info that sounds like I might want one, but they didn't really go too far out of Bkk, so still no idea of any improvements in Chiang Mai, Phuket, and other places, when comparing to the standard Thailand maps in Garmin or Megellan units... and that's the biggest consideration for me.

I like the iQue the best, I think.

How much is only the software.Is it also available in Panthip Plaza?

How about taking a german Handheld, like Garmin , will they put the software on it?

To be honest, Thailand is really too hot to get lost with a 1year old toddler, even the air-con works fine.