Russian Cop Killer Sentenced To Death In Thailand

george

Russian cop killer sentenced to death in Thailand

A Thai court sentenced 32-year-old Russian Rinat Koudaiarov to death for killing a policeman during a bank robbery and gave two compatriots long jail terms, The Nation newspaper reported on Thursday.

It said the three men were caught when their getaway speedboat ran out of fuel after the robbery last year. Police found the 2.4 million baht ($60,000) the three men had stolen from a bank in the beach resort of Pattaya in the boat the three had used to flee across the Gulf of Thailand before running out of fuel off Hua Hin on the opposite shore, the newspaper said. It said Koudaiarov insisted he was innocent, but Feliks Seremnykh and Marat Minikeev, both 31, received lighter sentences because they pleaded guilty.

The newspaper did not say whether any appeals were planned.

Source: gazeta.ru

its bad enought to be jail in a foreign country, but to die there is the worst thing can ever happen to you. 

ask the dead policemans wife and kids if they agree with you.

put the victims of crime before the lowlife scum criminals who ruin other peoples lives without a thought for the consequences of their actions.

that toerag deserves to die. pity the firing squad is a thing of the past.

ask the dead policemans wife and kids if they agree with you.

put the victims of crime before the lowlife scum criminals who ruin other peoples lives without a thought for the consequences of their actions.

that toerag deserves to die. pity the firing squad is a thing of the past.

in some way you're right, but why smh?

for sure if anyone touch my daughter, I would have the will to make my own justice, and I would be very wrong!

I won't forgive, whatever would be the sentence load B)

but I should ... :D ... I just won't be able to do so B)

but I can say, I will never ask that the convict to be killed or tortured!

I would then feel like, I' am no better than the convict himself B)

the law here is, you kill, they kill you!

you know it, if you don't accept it doing killings, you might be a brain-damaged people :o

I don't agree with the death-sentence, but I live here under laws that belong to the country I'm living in without rights ... so, I just take it as it is ...

as DR said, so many on the waiting list ...

as it is in Texas B)

• 2 years later...

The jails and death sentences here may be seen by some to be extremely harsh justice, but the current laughable system in the UK where an ar#hole paedophile gets 18 years for his assault of a 5 year old, and it is "automatically" reduced by various legal systems that are currently in place so it is unlikely that he will actually spend more than 5 years behind bars is an insult to the human rights of the victim.

I would hate to see such nanny culture stupidity infect Thailand - thankfully I think the Thai governement has more sense than that!

As some have said, criminals in Thailand and other parts of Asia know the law and the consequences, so if they still proceed to break that law, tough.

I remember the incident in 2002. Here's what the Pattaya Mail reported:

Convicted Russians to appeal as Moscow pleads for compassion

Relatives of three Russian men sentenced to death and long jail terms in Thailand for armed robbery will file appeals, a diplomat said Thursday, as Moscow urged Thai authorities to “show humaneness” toward the convicts.

“The relatives of these people are in very close contact with their lawyers and are planning to appeal to the Appeals Court of Thailand,” said Andre Dvornikov, a Russian consul in Thailand.

n2_537.jpg

(L to R) Marat Minikeev, Rinat Koudaiarov and Felix Seremnykh shortly after they were caught last year for robbing a bank and killing a cop.

Rinat Koudaiarov, 32, Feliks Seremnykh and Marat Minikeev, both 31, were found guilty of stealing 2.4 million baht (US$57,100) from a bank in Pattaya in August 2002.

Koudaiarov was sentenced to death for shooting dead a police sergeant guarding the bank. Seremnykh was sentenced to life in prison and Miniikeev to 37 years and four months.

Dvornikov said the relatives of Koudaiarov and Seremnykh are already in Thailand, and Minikeev’s wife is expected to arrive this week. They have 30 days from the sentencing date to file an appeal.

Meanwhile, the Russian government is hoping Koudaiarov’s sentence would be commuted to life and the three men extradited, Russia’s ITAR-Tass news agency said.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said it hopes “Thai authorities will display humaneness and will examine a possibility of commutation of the death penalty to life imprisonment as well as of extradition of the convicted to serve the sentence in the Russian territory,” ITAR-Tass said.

The Thai foreign ministry’s spokesman, Sihasak Phuangketkeow, said the Russian government has not made a formal plea of compassion.

Details about the men, including their hometowns, were not immediately available. They were arrested last year while trying to escape by boat off the beach resort of Hua Hin, 130 kilometers (80 miles) southwest of Bangkok.

Dvornikov noted that the only other Russian currently in a Thai jail is a woman serving a 3 1/2 year sentence for drug possession. She will be released in 2004, he said.

“There’s always these rumors about Russian crime activity in Pattaya and in Thailand in general: I think it is very overestimated,” he said.

The Russian Embassy estimates that about 40,000 to 50,000 Russian tourists have come to Thailand this year, mostly to Phuket or Pattaya, 110 kilometers (70 miles) southeast of Bangkok.

Have a look at this story also:

Russian Mobsters

I do agree with death sentances, And the guy who shot the cop new what would happend and now has to face the consquences.

Like here in australia the law is too soft, there was a pedo who raped and murdered a 6 year old girl in SA and was out in 8 years, the father of the girl was so upset and waited for him outside of the jail and blew him away.

Then he got put away.

If the Law was stronger then things like this wouldnt happend.

I believe if someone wants to take another life (unless self defence) then there's should be taken before they take other peoples life. Because I dont believe in our tax's should be paying for his meals for 30 odd years

As this happened in 2003. Did they execute Koudaiarov? and did they extradite the other 2?

The robbery took place at the Bank of Ayhudhya in Pattaya Tai in August 2002. Sentences have just been passed.

Edited by Artisan

Speedboat to Hua Hin.

Is seem to remember...

A Thai Naval frigate, and motor boats,constantly off shore.

Fighter jets occasionally flying overhead.

Why not-

Whip round the coast five miles-

Sink boat.

Transfer by another boat to land.

Back to Patters/ BKK.

...Lost in the crowd.

Better not kill em.

Russia might turn the gas pipe off!

Join the Ukranians freezing to death!

Not likely!

Another ancient thread resurrected.

Although many foreigners have been sentenced to death in Thailand, none have actually been executed in years. All of them eventually have their sentences reduced to life in prison.

Thailand began executions again in 1995 after an 8 year moratorium. In the 12 years since then, they have executed 48 people, but none in 2005 or 2006 (yet).

Department of Corrections - Thailand - Death Penalty

From what I can find, the last foreigners to be executed were from Hong Kong and Taiwan in 2001.

As for these Russians, I looked at the prisoner lists for Bangkwang prison but don't see their names listed anywhere. Could be that they were transferred to Russia under some kind of government arrangement.

Foreign Prisoner Support Service

Edited by Kerryd

Speedboat to Hua Hin.

Is seem to remember...

A Thai Naval frigate, and motor boats,constantly off shore.

Fighter jets occasionally flying overhead.

Why not-

Whip round the coast five miles-

Sink boat.

Transfer by another boat to land.

Back to Patters/ BKK.

...Lost in the crowd.

Better not kill em.

Russia might turn the gas pipe off!

Join the Ukranians freezing to death!

Not likely!

Well they thought Hua Hin was safe havens being opposite side of the gulf.

the current laughable system in the UK where an ar#hole paedophile gets 18 years for his assault of a 5 year old, and it is "automatically" reduced by various legal systems that are currently in place so it is unlikely that he will actually spend more than 5 years behind bars is an insult to the human rights of the victim.

You forgot to mention the free accomodation and police protection after their short stay at HMS Butlins....

the current laughable system in the UK where an ar#hole paedophile gets 18 years for his assault of a 5 year old, and it is "automatically" reduced by various legal systems that are currently in place so it is unlikely that he will actually spend more than 5 years behind bars is an insult to the human rights of the victim.

You forgot to mention the free accomodation and police protection after their short stay at HMS Butlins....

P

There also was an escape attempt, guys made over the fence and into the woods but were apprehended. I think it was during "enactment".

Russia abolished death penalty, the guy who took part in a school siege last year got life only.

I dont believe in our tax's should be paying for his meals for 30 odd years
I’ve always wondered what it costs the Thai taxpayers – any country’s taxpayers – to keep a criminal in prison for the rest of his life. It must be quite a costly exercise.

But try to make them earn their keep and human rights organisations and other NGOs will scream murder.

---------------

Maestro