Re-entry Extensions ?

Met a fellow last night with a tale that surprised me.

He was not drunk and seemed quite honest and reliable.

He said his Non Imm O-A 1 yr Retirement extension keeps getting pushed forward every time he leaves and re-enters LOS.

I questioned him several times to be sure I did not misunderstand him. He originally had an expiration for April this year, but his frequent re-entries now has his extension expiry date well into 2006. He said he intends to go to Suan Plu again to ask for a confirmation, but already has done this once and gotten an all clear there.

This is new to me.

Any comments or can someone confirm this going on with them ??

Live and learn more .....

Several people have reported having this happen and it now seems then when airport see an O-A visa with multi entry stamp they automatically stamp it for one year. At some point I suspect immigration officers will be given other instructions but for now it seems those with O-A have an easy path.

You may recall that there was a problem with O-A when first started only getting a 90 day stamp rather than a year. It now seems the pendulum has gone to the other side.

In spite of all the posts on this topic, I still have not seen a definitive answer to the question of whether or not you need a re-entry permit if your O-A is still within the original one year of validity....

Definitive answer? :o

What you get is best guess and mine is that a re entry permit would not be required as long as the visa says multi entry (which people seem to report is the case) and has not passed its expiration date. My second guess is that you 'should' need a re entry permit for any entry after the expiration date although at least one has so far survived and is now in untested waters.

I really think the visa should be single entry and a re entry permit obtained inside Thailand for any travel to make it fit the system. I can only surmise that a number of people earlier failed to obtain re entry permits and MFA decided to try and help prevent the loss of visa problem but they have no way to issued a re entry permit (which tells immigration what date to stamp) so we have this confusion.

Mike

Why is it you suspect one can get away without the re-entry permit and not lose their Visa status upon return. The existence of the permit alone would say it is needed for a reason.

Did someone tell you that there is an exception for certain categories of visas ?

Mike

Why is it you suspect one can get away without the re-entry permit and not lose their Visa status upon return. The existence of the permit alone would say it is needed for a reason.

Did someone tell you that there is an exception for certain categories of visas ?

Re-entry permit has never been required for a visa - only for the permitted to stay to remain alive. So if you have a multi entry visa you do not need a re entry permit (i.e. non immigrant one year O visa that allows stay of 90 days each). In this case you have a visa that allows a stay of one year; so each entry provides a one year stay. No re entry permit required.

Now if you have a single entry visa and want to leave and return during the permitted to stay time you do require a re entry permit. This is the case with those that have one year extensions of stay - to keep the stay alive you need the re entry permit.

Not an easy thing to understand or explain and as we age it just gets harder. :o

My understanding exactly. But, there are those on this forum who contend that a re-entry permit is necessary even with a multiple entry, one year O-A visa.

In fact, they have been so vociferous in their assertions that some multiple entry visa holders have reportedly obtain a re-entry permit, "just in case"....

there are those on this forum who contend that a re-entry permit is necessary even with a multiple entry, one year O-A visa.

I do remember one guy asserting this point -- and I believe Immigration had led him to this conclusion. BUT it sure sounds like just one more uncertainty that Immigration has about OAs.........

I can't imagine being denied reentry into Thailand if your NonImm Multi-entry visa has not expired. It doesn't make any difference its color -- O, OA, B, BA, etc -- MFA has authorized you multiple entries into Thailand up to expiration date. Yes, Immigration can deny entry -- for cause -- but that situation doesn't fit here.

But I'd sure get a re-entry permit once my NonImm Multi-entry expired. Immigration is bound to figure out the OA dilemna -- and I wouldn't want to be their test case.

That's me, though I was at one point slightly tipsy after consuming some drinks on an empty stomach on Cowboy. As reported earlier, I have a mulitiple entry non-immigrant (retirement) visa issued in April 2004. Since the visa was issued, I have left and returned to Thailand about 6 times, each time Thai Immigration at Don Muang airport graciously stamping my passport with an 'Admitted to Stamp' dated one year after my most recent reentry to Thailand.

I have never requested nor been granted a 'reentry permit'.

The current 'admitted to date' I have is May 15 2006, which was given after my latest return to Thailand on May 16, 2005, and which is more than 2 years after the retirement visa expired.

I went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu earlier this year, and was told by 2 different Immigration Officers that the additional years' stamps in my passports until this time were correct, and that I would not have to apply for a visa extension until a few weeks before the latest 'admitted to date' in 2006.

However, I suspect the latest 'admitted to date' of May 15 2006 is not correct, and I plan another visit to Suan Phlu this week to get specific instructions from the Immigration officers.

Will report what I am told (assuming I understand and they do not toss me in detention or deport me immediately).

Next week I will go to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu and show the Officers my passport and stamps to obtain

That's me, though I was at one point slightly tipsy after consuming some drinks on an empty stomach on Cowboy. As reported earlier, I have a mulitiple entry non-immigrant (retirement) visa issued in April 2004. Since the visa was issued, I have left and returned to Thailand about 6 times, each time Thai Immigration at Don Muang airport graciously stamping my passport with an 'Admitted to Stamp' dated one year after my most recent reentry to Thailand.

I have never requested nor been granted a 'reentry permit'.

The current 'admitted to date' I have is May 15 2006, which was given after my latest return to Thailand on May 16, 2005, and which is more than 2 years after the retirement visa expired.

I went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu earlier this year, and was told by 2 different Immigration Officers that the additional years' stamps in my passports until this time were correct, and that I would not have to apply for a visa extension until a few weeks before the latest 'admitted to date' in 2006.

However, I suspect the latest 'admitted to date' of May 15 2006 is not correct, and I plan another visit to Suan Phlu this week to get specific instructions from the Immigration officers.

Will report what I am told (assuming I understand and they do not toss me in detention or deport me immediately).

Next week I will go to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu and show the Officers my passport and stamps to obtain

Shot,Didnt you say in your previous thread,that your Multi OA expired in April 05?

This would mean that the visa just expired then,not 2 years ago.Anyway , in any event,since you did get admitted for another year AFTER the visa expired I still am keenly interested how this plays out........ For the record then ,I still say, No reentry permit needed pre visa expiry date, To keep your 365 day admission alive post visa expiry date,one is then needed,At least this is the way Im going to play it..

Harp, I received my 1 year multi-entry O-A visa on April 7 2004, and assumed it would expire April 6 2005. I left Thailand on April 23, 2005, and returned May 16, 2005. The admitted until date was stamped May 15, 2006. A reentry permit must not be needed with a multi-entry visa as I have left and reentered Thailand 5 or 6 times since I received the visa without a reentry permit.

I have a feeling my next visit to Suan Phlu will produce a mind-grinding headache.

both have happened to me....Go one year from the date of entry and also got stamped in as of the end of my muli re-entry permit. the re-entry permit is the most of most inmort here and if the Officer does it right it will be that date. Remember now the reemty permit year window starts whe you get the permit. I go my visa in Feb and Renenty permit in March with all but one of my reinsertions dated a year from the permit date not the date of that particular entry....

So.....the year starts ticking at the time of permit issue, that is unless you leave w/o a permit as in that case your O-A just went away.....

Well. it's visa run time for me! Live and learn.

Went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu today, showed them my passport with my visa stamp and subsequent 'admitted until; stamps, and asked "Is this correct?"

I asked when I would have to apply for an O-A visa extension, and was told not until May 2006, which was the latest 'admitted until' date stamp. I had asked this same question in March and was told by 2 different officials the same thing.

Being a skeptical person, I referred them to the O-A visa stamp, and asked again "Are you sure because this visa was issued over 1 year ago"?

This generated a confused look, about 15 minutes of consultation with several different Imm Officers peering through my passport, and me picking up snippets of comments such as "Khao Tham Phit" ("They did wrong") and "Mai Mii Visa" ("has no visa" - Yikes!).

They finally decided I was entitled to 30 days after my arrival (which was 29 days ago) and said I needed to apply for a 10 day extension. They drew a redline through my latest 'admitted until' date of May 15 2006, and changed it until June 14, 2005. Rather than go make a photo, fill out another form, wait in line a long time, and pay 1900 baht for another 10 days, I'm taking a trip to Poipet for antoher 30 days, and I'll sort out another O-A visa next time I go back to the States.

I appreciate the good advice I got from those on this board, and hope that others learn from my misunderstandings. It would also be nice that the Thai Immigration officials get some training on understanding how to process these visas and offering accurate advice, but I'll rely on others' advice and my own experience next time.

Well. it's visa run time for me!  Live and learn.

Went to Thai Immigration at Suan Phlu today, showed them my passport with my visa stamp and subsequent 'admitted until; stamps, and asked "Is this correct?"

I asked when I would have to apply for an O-A visa extension, and was told not until May 2006, which was the latest 'admitted until' date stamp.  I had asked this same question in March and was told by 2 different officials the same thing.

Being a skeptical person, I referred them to the O-A visa stamp, and asked again "Are you sure because this visa was issued over 1 year ago"?

This generated a confused look, about 15 minutes of consultation with several different Imm Officers peering through my passport, and me picking up snippets of comments such as "Khao Tham Phit" ("They did wrong") and "Mai Mii Visa" ("has no visa" - Yikes!).

They finally decided I was entitled to 30 days after my arrival (which was 29 days ago) and said I needed to apply for a 10 day extension.  They drew a redline through my latest 'admitted until' date of May 15 2006, and changed it until June 14, 2005.  Rather than go make a photo, fill out another form, wait in line a long time, and pay 1900 baht for another 10 days, I'm taking a trip to Poipet for antoher 30 days, and I'll sort out another O-A visa next time I go back to the States.

I appreciate the good advice I got from those on this board, and hope that others learn from my misunderstandings.  It would also be nice that the Thai Immigration officials get some training on understanding how to process these visas and offering accurate advice, but I'll rely on others' advice and my own experience next time.

Sorry it had to hit you but was sure just a matter of time until somebody got it. Thanks very much for posting.

I would try to get a tourist visa (rather than 30 day entry) (Singapore or Penang are quick and cheap flights) and after return convert it into a long stay (retirement) at immigration (they can do that and only requirement will be the medical and money in bank). No need to go through all the home country paperwork again.

I would try to get a tourist visa (rather than 30 day entry) (Singapore or Penang are quick and cheap flights) and after return convert it into a long stay (retirement) at immigration (they can do that and only requirement will be the medical and money in bank).  No need to go through all the home country paperwork again.

Thanks for the suggestion on getting a tourist visa.

I went ahead and arranged a quick border trip to Poipet, as I have some things I need to do in Bkk later this week.

Does anyone know if Phnom Penh still requires a 3 day wait to get a tourist visa? I assume Singapore would be one day turnaround.

Well. it's visa run time for me!  Live and learn.

I asked when I would have to apply for an O-A visa extension, and was told not until May 2006, which was the latest 'admitted until' date stamp.  I had asked this same question in March and was told by 2 different officials the same thing.

They finally decided I was entitled to 30 days after my arrival (which was 29 days ago) and said I needed to apply for a 10 day extension.  They drew a redline through my latest 'admitted until' date of May 15 2006, and changed it until June 14, 2005.  Rather than go make a photo, fill out another form, wait in line a long time, and pay 1900 baht for another 10 days, I'm taking a trip to Poipet for antoher 30 days, and I'll sort out another O-A visa next time I go back to the States.

I appreciate the good advice I got from those on this board, and hope that others learn from my misunderstandings.  It would also be nice that the Thai Immigration officials get some training on understanding how to process these visas and offering accurate advice, but I'll rely on others' advice and my own experience next time.

Sorry it had to hit you but was sure just a matter of time until somebody got it. Thanks very much for posting.

I would try to get a tourist visa (rather than 30 day entry) (Singapore or Penang are quick and cheap flights) and after return convert it into a long stay (retirement) at immigration (they can do that and only requirement will be the medical and money in bank). No need to go through all the home country paperwork again.

1st of all,let me echo Lop's comments,sorry it had to happen and thanx much for the post. Your experience is exactly why I printed out and kept one of Redwood's old posts when Pattaya immigration explained to him in no uncertain terms that

a rentry permit would be needed for any rentry after the visa expiry date for a multi OA in order to keep the last 365 admitted until date alive. Please let us know how things turn out for you ,all the best,"harp"

It seems as though the 'loophole' in the O-A extension / re-entry regulations is still open - at least for now.

The latest from Pattaya Immigration, today, 17/06/05:

Took my passport in and showed the visa to the official.

Visa expiry date is August 2nd 2005.

Stamped in until 04 October 2005.

I wanted confirmation that I did not have to apply for the extension until September - OK, confirmed, and he explained what I would have to do and what documents I would need. Very helpful chap.

I then told him that I would be going to Singapore for a few days next month. At first he said that I would need a re-entry permit but I pointed out to him that the visa was multiple entry. He looked at it again and agreed that it was multiple. He then asked if I would come back to Thailand before 02 August. When I confirmed that this was indeed my intention he said that no re-entry permit was required and that I would be stamped in at Don Muang for a further 12 months.

Sounds good to me. I'll let you know how it pans out in practice.

:o

That is exactly what has been said - if you still have a valid multi entry visa no problem. But if your visa has expired you need a re entry permit.

Don't believe anyone has questioned the loophole of getting up to two years being a thing of the past yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this story did not die. And the 2nd chapter is not good.

I met this fellow again last night (I started this thread).

Turns out that they were WRONG at Imm at Suan Plu and when he went to check for a 2nd time they realized they made a mistake. His multi entry was NOT supposed to be extended for one year each and every time he re-entered. Upshot is he had to do a 30day run and start over even tho it was Imm at the airport who made the mistake. Not much of a problem for him as he leaves and re-enters often.

So the logic makes sense now.

If your extension is for 1 yr, the re-entries have no effect on expiration.

Gosh, isn't Thailand fun !!!