Sony Video Cameras.

Jockstar

Friends of mine are coming over from canada in October and they are wondering if it would be cheaper to buy here or in Canada. I have no idea so i thought i'd ask you guys. The models they are looking for are all Sony.

DCR-DVD403

DCR-HC90

DCR-PC1000.

So any ideas guys? Cheers!

When dealing with quality name brand electronics and computers I've found that Canada is almost always cheaper, sometimes by a great deal. Some knock-off electronics can be found cheaper in Thailand, but in the majority of cases its better to bring them from Canada.

cv

I brought a Sony DCR-DVD I think this is the same model you are talking about couple of months back in Muscat Oman at carefour and then priced them in Dubia duty free and Thailand both were about 35 dollars more expencive than what I payed in muscat

I think they where around 25,000bht in tessco

Duty free is a big scam

Is Canada cheaper than that place south of yr border? :o

It varies with the exchange rate but we're usually lower on electronics as we have lower tarrifs on goods from most asian countries. Right now the C$ is doing well so the deals are quite good.

cv

My view of the question is based on three years in Thailand with regular checks on the internet with major electronics distributors in North America.

I have concluded that what is often referred to as "fair trade" laws do not exist in Asia. Fair trade laws prevent manufacturers from controlling the sale price placed on their products by their distributors and retailers.

Japanese manufactures, therefore, set the sale price of their product and retailers in Thailand don't vary from them. Occasionally, the manufacturer will add a free gift product to the purchase price as a promotion, but never have I seen any real form of price competition between retailers.

In North America, there a a number of online retailers who discount Japanese made products on a regular basis and it behooves any buyer to check with the internet price to see what is the "going sale price".

There are a number of web pages that actually compare the sales prices among the retailers for you of a given product so you can compare prices offered on the same product.

Of course, shipping is a major cost in buying online, so actually determining what they charge for shipping must be done before your final decision is made, as some companies really charge alot for "handling".

My view is that North America is the most competitive market place in the world and you most always get the best prices there on even recent product introductions.

I bought a video camera in Chiang Mai last Christmas and paid 200USD in baht and found it on the internet in North America for half that. However, I bought it in Thailand for convenience and time constraints. Shipping was quoted as 50USD so my extra cost for buying the product was an acceptable 50USD more for the reasons stated.

The chances of a duty being levied when the product is brouhgt into Thailand is high and it is as much as 30% or more. Thus, I felt at the time that with duty, my actual net cost in Thailand would have been slightly higher, but with convenience, risk of loss, duty adding to the lower purchase price and instant gratification factors, the purchase on the internet was not worth the savings.

Since your already in North America and would be bringing into Thailand a used camera, so no duty, and without having to pay shipping, I would say your savings would be material in North America.

The other advantage you may find with electronics from Canada is that the user's guide will be in English. If you buy it here, it will likely be in Thai. I you are going to but it here, you may want to check whether or not an english user's guide is included or available for your desired product online.

I learned this the hard way... when I bought my digital camera (Nikon) the user guide was published in every asian language (Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Bahasa, Melayu et al), without English! Having an Engllish user's guide is almost essential to work out all of he complex features in a video camera or any other complex electronic item.

An additional thought is the battery re-charger. If Canada is on 220 then no problem as that is what Thailand is on. Otherwise, a transformer will be needed, but they are inexpensive here in Thailand.

Some of these electronics have both 110 and 220 features that can be switched to as the case may be.

I would buy the product in the country that offered the best after sales service, in 10 months time, the thing stops working....

Which of the following would you like to be greeted with

1. ma bpen ria and a big grin. no action

2. some action for a warranty claim

Up 2 U!!!

An additional thought is the battery re-charger.  If Canada is on 220 then no problem as that is what Thailand is on.  Otherwise, a transformer will be needed, but they are inexpensive here in Thailand.

Some of these electronics have both 110 and 220 features that can be switched to as the case may be.

Very good point- as Canada's household current is 110V / 60 Hz.

Also as you say- most electronics that are intended for travelling (cameras, laptops, etc) are capable of using any current in the world, either automatically or by switch on the adapter.

But- definitely worth double checking on the model you wish to purchase.

I would buy the product in the country that offered the best after sales service, in 10 months time, the thing stops working....

Which of the following would you like to be greeted with

1. ma bpen ria and a big grin. no action

2. some action for a warranty claim

Up 2 U!!!

Good point, some chains like London Drugs will even refund/replace items after the manufacturer's warrantee has expired. Thai customer service often consists of smiling while doing nothing for you.

Regarding voltage, the better brands should be dual voltage, but having a good converter is always handy.

cv

1. Cameras/camcorders/notebooks have dual voltages, with few exceptions.

2. Prices in the US are generally good, about 10-40% less than here (since, as mentioned before, prices are fixed here). You want better deals? Japan.

3. Manuals can usually be downloaded from the manufacturer.

4. Most international warranties are not honored by local service centers (not here, at least). But, generally, most things don't break within the warranty period.

5. Don't mail order expensive electronics, it's not worth the hassle.

6. For warranty service for stuff purchased here, go directly to the service center, not the shop.

7. Keep in mind that the TV system in the US is NTSC, while Thailand's is PAL.

Personally, if something was 30% cheaper, and cost nothing extra (a friend or yourself buying and bringing), then I would definitely buy it outside Thailand. I've done so for several items. No problems. No worries.

I doubt you will get exactly the same model in Thailand and Canada.

There will be a one letter difference in the model number, indicating

PAL for Thailand and NTSC for Canada.

Anything I've bought in Canada has been able to work on multiple platforms. Even some of the cheaper electronics.

cv

I doubt you will get exactly the same model in Thailand and Canada.

There will be a one letter difference in the model number, indicating

PAL for Thailand and NTSC for Canada.

Anything I've bought in Canada has been able to work on multiple platforms. Even some of the cheaper electronics.

cv

Actually - I'm with astral on this one, especially with the one that writes to small DVDs.

The DVD will be recorded in NTSC or PAL - multi-standard TVs and DVD players are common, so you might not run into issues playing PAL discs in Canada, but they would still be PAL DVDs.

i.e. DCR-DVD403 in US/Canada (NTSC) has the equivalent model number of DCR-DVD403E in Europe (PAL).

For Video cameras, if they're stopping off in Japan, it could be worth looking there (as Japan is also NTSC / 110v) - with the caveat that English isn't guaranteed in the manual that comes with it. Otherwise I would definitely recommend they buy in US/Canada.

For Video cameras, if they're stopping off in Japan, it could be worth looking there (as Japan is also NTSC / 110v) -

But don't buy any electronics or camera at the airport shops be it duty-free or not. You might end up paying more than in Thailand. BTW voltage in Japan is 100V to be accurate (but works in US without transformer and US/Canada appliance also works in Japan).