Saving For That Trip To Thailand

I like to think of myself as a practical bloke, so when I save for a trip I do everything I can to accumulate cash. My methods are not exactly recommended by bank managers and they're certainly not described in any money management books. In fact, some may land you in very hot water but hey, I was raised by the desendants of convicts so it's in my blood!

Here are my top six tips to save you over $100 each week.

Method : Cancel your daily newspaper subscription and get up a little early each morning for a walk or a jog. This way you can share the love by borrowing a newspaper from a different house in your neighbourhood each day and, as an added bonus, you also lose weight! Once you've finished reading, roll it up and return it to the front lawn of the original owners.

Weekly Cash Saved : Assuming your paper costs around $1.50 each day you'll find an extra $10.50 in your account each week, which is $546 each year!

Method : It's not fair to deny yourself a morning coffee before work, so don't! Slip into a crowded café and find a half-drunk cup of coffee. Take it to the counter and complain that it was not hot enough, then walk out with your lovely, steaming cappy.

Weekly Cash Saved : Assuming you're paying extortionate Starbucks prices, you could save around $20 per week, a whopping $1040 each year.

Method : It's your company's responsibility to ensure their staff toilets are well stocked with toilet roll, so why shouldn't they stock your home loo too? You work your butt off for the boss, so keep your butt clean on company expenses. Try to share the joy by swiping toilet rolls from restaurants, petrol stations and cinemas – wherever loose rolls flaunt themselves. Come on, they expect you to take them!

Weekly Cash Saved : At a minimum you should save $4 per week, so by year end your rear end will have saved you a respectable $208.

Method : If you've ever sold an item on eBay then you know there are people out there who will buy absolutely anything. So on council collection night wander the streets and grab anything that is not broken – chairs, desks, cabinets, TV sets – you've heard what they say about one man's trash. Take it home, polish it up, take a digital photo and bung it on eBay. More businesses than you think actually run this way, particularly antique shops.

Weekly Cash Saved : Those with an eye for flash trash will easily add at least $50 weekly to their earnings and, unless you're completely stupid, it's tax free! That's a cool $2,600 annually.

Method : Don't expect to be invited out after a year of utilising this method, but who needs mates when you're kicking back on a tropical island? A timeless classic, The Artful Dodger is the simple act of avoiding your shout at the pub. Go home before your turn comes, or even better develop a nasty bowel complaint which has you running to the dunny every time your mates have almost finished their drinks.

Weekly Cash Saved : Assuming one night out per week with four mates, that's at least $25 saved – $1300 per year.

Method : You don't drop in on your parents enough so kill two birds with the one stone. Make the oldies happy by dropping by for dinner once a week and you'll save money on food. As you walk out the door don't forget to mention that you don't have any milk for tomorrow's breakfast, you're guaranteed to leave with a free carton.

Weekly Cash Saved : Groceries for dinner, including a beer or glass of wine, probably comes to $12, and add a little for the free supplies and it should come to around $15 per week, or $780 per year.

Summary

An extra $124.50 per week just by following these simple guidelines – I reckon you owe me a beer! It's a he11 of a lot better than a part time job and it adds up to almost $6,500 each year, which will be nice spending money on your next jaunt. Or you could get a part time job, which means less time at the beach and more tax paid…

Edited by TizMe

IMethod : It's your company's responsibility to ensure their staff toilets are well stocked with toilet roll, so why shouldn't they stock your home loo too? You work your butt off for the boss, so keep your butt clean on company expenses. Try to share the joy by swiping toilet rolls from restaurants, petrol stations and cinemas – wherever loose rolls flaunt themselves. Come on, they expect you to take them!

Weekly Cash Saved : At a minimum you should save $4 per week, so by year end your rear end will have saved you a respectable $208.

Bah! I used to take bleach, lightbulbs, coffee, tea, sugar and many other things.

My colleagues took knives, forks, plates, kethcup and even the clock.

I am one quarter scottish but my colleagues were full-bloods.