Bird Flu Outbreak May Be Downfall Of Thai Pm

george

Transcript

This is a transcript from AM. The program is broadcast around Australia at 08:00 on ABC Local Radio.

You can also listen to the story in REAL AUDIO and WINDOWS MEDIA formats.

Bird flu outbreak may be downfall of Thai PM

Reporter: Peter Lloyd

TONY EASTLEY: In Thailand, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is facing calls for his resignation for an apparent cover up of an outbreak of a deadly bird flu virus.

Already millions of chickens have been culled, a blow to Thailand's industry, which is one of the largest bird exporters in the world.

Mr Thaksin's troubles only deepened at the weekend when he finally admitted knowing about the problem several weeks ago.

South East Asia Correspondent Peter Lloyd.

PETER LLOYD: Stung by charges that the Government told farmers to treat sick chickens for cholera when it knew the real problem was bird flu, Thaksin flew to the worst hit province to offer support and compensation.

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: So we have to explain to them about the compensation on the number of the chicken sales and also the replacement of the next generation of the chicken.

PETER LLOYD: If the Prime Minister thought he was being generous he may be mistaken. Producers want twice as much as the Government is offering. They were even less impressed that Mr Thaksin won't accept culpability for allowing the disease to spread.

The closest he came was to concede that, yes, he had a clue a few weeks ago.

JOURNALIST 1: Do you think how this will affect the Government's credibility?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: I don't think so. Maybe affect on your own thinking, but not others.

PETER LLOYD: But the Japanese pulled the plug on your market even before it was confirmed. They mustn't have believed the story.

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: I think you know every country has to be concerned about the safety of the people. We have to understand.

PETER LLOYD: What do you make of the Japanese not believing the government denials?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: No, no, I don't deny.

PETER LLOYD: Your Government was saying yesterday there was no bird flu.

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: No, no, we are waiting the laboratory tests. Where are you yesterday?

PETER LLOYD: There were statements there was no bird flu up until yesterday by the government.

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: No way, no way, those statements came from some other place, but it’s not from the Government, the Government never said that.

PETER LLOYD: So why did the Japanese go before it was official.

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: Well, that’s… you know, they can do it. You know even as myself I can do it, I can ban product from your country as well if I don't trust it. That’s normal.

PETER LLOYD: So the Japanese don't trust you?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: No, no, it's not… because they protect their people. That’s the duty of each government.

JOURNALIST 1: Do you think it will be difficult to bring back the trade?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: No, easy, don’t worry, that’s normal. Disease is all over, you know, sometimes is infect, sometimes it is not infect.

JOURNALIST 2: How long do you think it will be before this whole crisis is over?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: I don't think it will last longer than 30 days.

JOURNALIST 2: How can you say that, how can you be so confident Prime Minister?

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA: I know what I'm doing.

TONY EASTLEY: Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and that report from our correspondent Peter Lloyd in Bangkok.

--ABC News, Australia

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin's grasp of English is not up to much, as you can see from the transcript. It's not a question of him being slippery (though he was) - he just doesn't get it.

Hopeless even trying to hold him to task, yet the Thai media won't do it.

The day after Thaksin admitted bird flu, one Thai paper led its front page not on the fact Thailand has bird flu, or Thaksin's cover-up but that - wait for it - he would solve the problem! Thaksin rides to the rescue again.

His govt did deny bird flu, and had these western journalists come well prepared they could have held him to remarks he had made previously.

Another wasted opportunity, and so typical of western-style electronic reporting. They hung everything on what the Japanese did. Who cares what Japan did? As Thaksin said, they can go any time they want. It doesn't prove he lied.

Radio reporting: home of the brain dead.

The website www.2bangkok.com explains how the Thai people react to the Flu cover-up:

Quote from www.2bangkok.com:

Despite the editorials gleefully chastising the Thaksin administration for getting caught trying to cover up the avian-flu crisis, the reality is that the average Joe (or Somjai) on the street completely sympathizes with the concept of covering things up to protect the country.

Other nations already understand that promises that "there is no problem" are just the way things are done here until the real facts are known or it is impossible to keep it a secret. No one was really shocked by this or should be too excited by this non-scandal.

Interesting that the PM claims such information came from some other place than the government when it was the Government itself denying such was the case.

I wonder if there are now two Governments, one that is the legit and the other being the decoy?????? Tsk tsk tsk!!!!!!!!! :o

Obviously Japan had some real evidence of the disease, so they pulled it before any serious damage took place. Even Tiger here agrees!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Daveyoti

The problem is not if "Somjai" inthe street completely sympathizes with the concept of covering things up to protect the country.

The problem is that if George (Bush) or Romano (Prodi) or Junichiro (Koizumi) in a month will believe Thaksin and allow thai chickens back to USA, EU, and Japan.

I doubt it, as for thai prawns which are still banned in EU .And even if the ban is removed, I hardly think that next month the average japanese, or european citizen when reading the label "product of Thailand" will be happy to buy thai chickens and eggs.

Unfortunately this government seems to think that also in Europe and Japan people MUST do what government wants and not the other way round.

I have never seen a chicken from Thailand in the USA. Nor would I see a need to buy them.

Have you ever seen the size and quality of US grown chickens? The free range chickens are incredible. There is nothing in Asia that comes close.

So it doesn't matter what george bush has to say.

Shrimp are another story I suppose although I don't see any need for the thai or vietnamese versions here in Florida in any way shape or form.

Mr Vietnam :o

Thaksin's grasp of English is not up to much, as you can see from the transcript. It's not a question of him being slippery (though he was) - he just doesn't get it.

How in the world did he get a Ph.D. from Sam Houston University in Texas? He is an idiot that can barely speak English and has the brains of a sea fly. He has a fortune but is clueless about running a country.

Huski and Mr. Vietnam, both of you are correct and I agree with you totally. I suppose the Government thinks we are idiots and of course obviously they never see it the western ways of reality. Ho Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Time for us to get a beer and munch on some cracker jacks and marvel on our intelligence. Who knows perhaps they can pick up on some cues from us. What do you think???

Daveyoti

Quote from www.2bangkok.com:[/url]

......the reality is that the average Joe (or Somjai) on the street completely sympathizes with the concept of covering things up to protect the country.....

:D How can so few delude, decieve, suppress and deny so many? The "Kwam pen Thai" factor pops-up it's ugly head again!

:o

Dave Yo,

Enjoy the beer and jacks.

I don't think they care what we/us think.

The portfolio has a good spread, we cover our bottoms, and we lie about lying.

It is the same globally, mai? Politics?

From what I read you will not get the flu from eating the chicken here in Arizona

or in Thailand.

Maybe the Flu will cull the planet a bit.

Thinman

How in the world did he get a Ph.D. from Sam Houston University in Texas? He is an idiot that can barely speak English and has the brains of a sea fly. He has a fortune but is clueless about running a country.

haven't you learnt yet that in Thailand, just because you studied in an English speaking country doesn't mean you should be able to speak english. Especially at full fee paying schools, international students who just turn up ususally pass.

You should also know that if you are relatively high up in government or business, any post grad work that you do end up submiting is actually done by one of your junior officials/employees. I should know, as I have spent many a weekend doing my ex-bosses assignments for her.

As for Dear Leaders popularity going downhill, I doubt it. The Thai electorate are the most forgetful in the world. Afterall, at the time of the Asian financial crisis, Chavalit was PM and Thaksin was his deputy. Three and a bit years later they re-elect the mugs!!

I seem to remember that some time back - Toxin claimed that we was misunderstood because he wasn't all that good in standard Thai language maybe he can now claim the same for English.

What was he really saying -- No No No - what I mean is, it's not my fault, I don't raise chickens so it has nothing to do with me, it's somebody else's fault - probably some western influence trying to under-mine our economy. :o

The kindest thing one could say was that he mishandled the whole interview. It was pitiful. Perhaps HE should let a spokesman speak.

Or he could take a lesson from George Bush.

Do not ever get interviewed because you already know you will sound stupid and culpable.

Hold press conferences almost never.

Have professional speechwriters prepare your statements, and let real smart people speak for you.

And then start a program for something that you want and call it the exact opposite thing.

As the PM has an inclination to cover things up, perhaps start a new program called the Laser Beam Poultry Project.

As for Dear Leaders popularity going downhill, I doubt it.
samran we are not talking about "your dear" leader's popularity.
TONY EASTLEY: In Thailand, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is facing calls for his resignation for an apparent cover up of an outbreak of a deadly bird flu virus.

There is not a lot more to be said about the whole affair other than that deceipt, lying, head in the sand, believing everything you are fed are endemic here in Thailand.

I'm sure every one will remember Thaksin making the statement when he was in Big Jiew's gov't that he would fix the traffic problem in the Big Mangonand we can see just how much he achieved can't we.

Then there is the matter of his son going in to take his uni exam with all the answers in his pocket. That seems to have died a natural hasn't it.

Then there is the tale of Chalerms son. That too has gone very quiet as well. As Trink would say it's just another case of TIT

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Huski....could you expand on what you mean.

In my mind, all the discussion about his lying, cheating and resigning etc is rather academic if Mr T's popularity with the people stays high. My bet is that he will remain popular, however distasteful that is to some.

Anyhoo, the only dear leader in my book is a bloke named Paul John Keating...but that is for another discussion.

Thaksin's grasp of English is  not up to much, as you can see from the transcript. It's not a question of him being slippery (though he was) - he just doesn't get it.

Hopeless even trying to hold him to task, yet the Thai media won't do it.

The day after Thaksin admitted bird flu, one Thai paper led its front page not on the fact Thailand has bird flu, or Thaksin's cover-up but that - wait for it -  he would solve the problem! Thaksin rides to the rescue again.

His govt did deny bird flu, and had these western journalists come well prepared they could have held him to remarks he had made previously.

Another wasted opportunity, and so typical of western-style electronic reporting. They hung everything on what the Japanese did. Who cares what Japan did? As Thaksin said, they can go any time they want. It doesn't prove he lied.

Radio reporting: home of the brain dead.

Such denial is perhaps, with good intention. Not to panic the public until remedy found to resolve the problem?

Compared to what happened in another country, Singapore's case of Sars where one PhD student being infected at the lab that he was working in. The director of the lab vehemently denied and categorically stressed that his lab is of such such high standards that it is impossible for the infection to have originated from there.

Of course, later 3 World Health Organization medical experts were called in to forensic-trace. Presto! It's from that lab.

What happened after that? Anyone punished?

You have guessed it right, I believe. I'll leave it to you.

Is [Not even knowing] worse than [Denying-when-known]? You decide.

That showed what standard of people we are looking at, in the circumstances under discussion.

The whole affair reminds me of another Joker - (ex) Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf. Here are the similarities:

THEN in Baghdad = Our initial assessment is that they are all dead!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = They are being killed by other drug pushers!

THEN in Baghdad = Be assured Baghdad is safe!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = There are no terrorists here! (a week before Hambali's arrest)

THEN in Baghdad = Those infidels!

RECENTLY in Bangkok = They are just bandits!

THEN in Baghdad = I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad!

LAST week in Bangkok = There is no bird flu here!

THEN in Baghdad = We shall slaughter them all!

NOW in Bangkok = We shall slaughter them all!

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Huski....could you expand on what you mean.

samran, the title of this thread is Quoting a Post in Bird Flu Outbreak May Be Downfall Of THAI Pm

Your earlier post which I quoted:

As for Dear Leaders popularity going downhill, I doubt it.

We are not talking about Thaksin's popularity, the interview that George posted says he is facing calls for his resignation for an apparent cover up of an outbreak of a deadly bird flu virus.

The King our Majesty has already warned Thaksin to get it together last year on a different issue, investigating the killing of all the suspected drug dealers and their families.

Bird flu kills child in Thailand

A six-year-old boy has died in a Bangkok hospital from avian flu.

It is the first confirmed death in Thailand as a result of the outbreak, but a man who died last week may have been infected.

The only other deaths from the virus sweeping Asian chicken flocks have been in Vietnam, where six people have died.

Thai health officials have also confirmed two new cases of the virus in humans, while Indonesia has confirmed an outbreak among its chicken flocks.

There has been no evidence that avian flu can pass from humans to humans, but the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the Asian outbreak could mutate and become more dangerous as it spreads.

Rapid deterioration

The Thai boy who died is believed to have picked up the virus after touching the carcasses of infected poultry in his village in western Kanchanaburi province.

AVIAN FLU ALERT

First jumped "species barrier" from bird to human in 1997

In humans, similar symptoms include fever, sore throat, and cough

Types known to infect humans are influenza A subtypes H5N1 and H9N2

Thailand's Public Health Minister, Sudarat Keyuraphan, announcing the boy's death, also confirmed press reports that a 10-year-old girl and a 58-year-old woman in the neighbouring province of Suphanburi were infected.

A seven-year-old boy from the same province was confirmed as infected last week.

Test results are pending in the case of a 56-year-old man who raised fighting cocks at his home near Bangkok and died on Friday.

Ms Sudarat said the boy's health "deteriorated very rapidly".

"This is typical of bird flu. It is very hard to get infected by this disease, but once you have it you tend to go down very fast," she said.

Thailand has now expanded its emergency zone from two provinces to 10. It has enlisted hundreds of soldiers to help cull millions of chickens.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, faced with accusations of a cover-up, has admitted that his government initially kept quiet about its suspicions that avian flu had broken out, to avoid causing public panic.

"We have suspected this for about a couple of weeks," he said on Sunday.

I sort of see where you are coming from Huski, but my view is that this discussion board can talk about the PM facing calls for his resignation till the cows come home. But it won't make any difference to the price of fish.

My point is/was that he won't resign. Just because he has been caught out this time doesn't mean sqaut politically.

There is no real political reason for him to resign.

Your popularity has to go down the drain before you resign. Plus, the opposition doesn't have the numbers in parliament to do anything (by the way where is the opposition leader in all of this?) and worst of all, the main stream Thai language media isn't very critical of him, not like they used to be at least. They are already swollowing the propaganda fed by TRT that the PM will have this all fixed in 30 days and that exports will resume soon after.

Do you reckon if Nixon's popularity stayed high after Watergate he would have resigned? Not likely...!!

Thai PM in bird flu 'cover-up'

Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has admitted that his government suspected an outbreak of avian flu about two weeks ago.

Mr Thaksin told reporters he had decided not to tell the public until Friday to avoid causing mass panic.

He has ordered troops to help a cull of chickens to stop the disease spreading.

Bird flu has spread to two more regions of Thailand while Indonesia revealed it too had an outbreak, though officials there said it had not spread to humans.

Amid growing criticism of its handling of the disease, Thailand has invited other Asian nations hit by the crisis to an emergency summit this week.

We have suspected this for about a couple of weeks

Thaksin Shinawatra

European Union and Japanese officials will also be invited to the meeting in Bangkok on Wednesday, as well as the World Health Organization (WHO) and UN food agency.

After weeks of speculation, Thailand - Asia's largest poultry exporter - admitted the presence of the disease two days ago and confirmed that it had spread from poultry to humans.

Several countries subsequently banned imports of poultry from Thailand, including its main customers, Japan and the EU.

On Sunday, China announced it was banning chicken imports from Thailand and Cambodia, which has also been hit by a bird flu outbreak.

Two Thai boys are infected, while the death of a 56-year-old Bangkok man who raised fighting cocks is thought to have been caused by the virus.

AVIAN FLU ALERT

First jumped "species barrier" from bird to human in 1997

In humans, similar symptoms include fever, sore throat, and cough

Types known to infect humans are influenza A subtypes H5N1 and H9N2

On Sunday, the Thai prime minister visited the worst-hit province of Suphan Buri, where officials are moving from farm to farm destroying all poultry.

Mr Thaksin told reporters the government had taken precautionary measures, despite keeping quiet about its concerns.

"We have suspected this for about a couple of weeks" he said.

Government under fire

The BBC's Rachel Harvey in Bangkok says that politically as well as economically, everything now depends on how quickly the virus can be brought under control.

AVIAN FLU TIMELINE

Nov 2003 - Thailand reports what it calls chicken cholera

15 Dec - S Korea confirms avian flu outbreak

9 Jan 2004 - UN sends help to Vietnam after avian flu outbreak

11 Jan - First of five Vietnamese deaths confirmed as avian flu

13 Jan - Japan confirms avian flu outbreak

15 Jan - Taiwan announces different strain of avian flu

21 Jan - Laos reports suspected chicken cholera

23 Jan - Thailand confirms first human cases of avian flu

23 Jan - Cambodia detects first case in chickens

She says ordinary Thais are questioning whether the government is telling them everything, even now.

The government has come in for strong criticism from the media, while opposition politicians are threatening a motion of no confidence.

Deputy leader of the opposition Democrat party, Abhisit Vejjajiva, said it would be "unacceptable" if the government had misled the public.

"We understand that... no government would want the public to panic, but I think the problem was the route that the government took meant that people who were at risk, who have direct contact [with chickens], did not take the necessary precautions," he said.

"Now we have a few people who are infected, some of whom are already dead."

The worst-hit country in the region is Vietnam, where six people have died of avian flu.

The WHO has warned that the Asian outbreak could mutate and become more dangerous.

Avian flu has also affected chickens in Cambodia, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea - but is not known to have jumped from birds to humans in these countries.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia...fic/3427249.stm

Published: 2004/01/25 15:26:57 GMT

© BBC MMIV

At the risk of side-tracking all this fun folly, I wonder what this politician might do if he truly believed his relection was in doubt?

My own feelings about him are mixd. It probably can best be described by paraphrasing Winston Churchill's comment about democracy: "Taksin is the worst of all possible Prime Ministers, except for any other Thai Politician."

Sure the dead drug dealers, the 30 Baht medical fees, the APEC poverty cover up, the lack of progress on Telecoms reforms, et cetera, ad nauseum, are a worry. But who might do better?

And look at the SET, as I am sure the PM will ask us all to do when he is assiduously buying votes in the next election. Why change the conductor when the orchestra is raising such a cacophon?

And lastly, in the interest of restoring the festive mood previously reigning supreme on this thread, lighten up on his language skills, will ya? The Thai PM's English is more good then the America President did. [sic].

Cheers