Getting A Uk Tourist Visa...

I've been working with a BKK Legal Company (who advertises on ThaiVisa) for a UK Tourist (Visitors Visa) for my Thai BF... just for a 2-week vacation to visit my (aged) mother on her 75th birthday in Wales, and to see London, this summer.

I am an American Passport Holder, living in the USA, originally born in the UK. We have been in a proveable relationship for 2 years.

You might be interested in the list of 24 items we've been expected to provide for the UK Visitors Visa application for him - most are Originals required if not stated otherwise:

1. Complete Xerox copy of every page of my US Passport, each page signed.

2. Complete Xerox copy of every page of his Thai Passport, each page signed.

3. 6 months of Bank Statements for him showing at least 100,000Baht average balance in the acct.

4. 6 months of Bank Statements from me (no minimum asked for (!))

5. Copy of my Birth Certificate.

6. Copy of his Birth Certificate.

7. 6 months of my savings account records.

8. 6 months of my US Employer Paychecks

9. Copy of my bf's House Tambien papers

10. Copy of my bf Thai ID Card

11. 2 x Passport pics of him.

12. Copy of the Land / House Deeds for my mother's house in the UK. (To prove she exists!.)

13. Invitiation letter from my mother.

14. Sponsorship letter from me to guarantee my bf's travel and accommodation costs are covered, and to certify why we are going.

15. Address and phone of all places we will stay.

16. Letter of guarantee of employment from my US Employer.

17. Letter of guarantee of employement from his Thai employer.

18. His Graduation/Study Certificate.

19. Copies of Long Distance phone call records for at least the last 6 months between us (in both directions)

20. Copies of e-mail directory/folder listings, proving e-mail correspondence, for at least 6 months.

21. Any Personal Cards/letters etc between us.

22. At least 10 pictures of us together in various locations with a note of the date, place and what we were doing, from the last 2 years...

23. Any Travel tickets and Hotel Reservations with his name on, to show that we have travelled outside Thailand together in the past 2 years..

24. A Questionnaire answered by him.

Ohh, and the Visa Fee as Certified Check.

You can imagine the planning, organization, money (and patience) required for this....

IMHO, this is crazy. There's something badly wrong here.. somewhere.. with the Tourist Visa system, these days.

ChrisP

Gay in Thailand

This brings to mind something I have been wondering about. Are there ANY Thai tourists that visit the UK?

Let’s just say you are a normal Thai couple or even single person, you have your annual vacation coming up so you fancy visiting the UK for a couple of weeks.

You have heard all about the tradition of British history you’ve seen Bridget Jones and the other Grant movies you want to visit England.

As a Thai CAN you?

:D:D:o

2. Complete Xerox copy of every page of his Thai Passport, each page signed.

3. 6 months of Bank Statements for him showing at least 100,000Baht average balance in the acct.

4. 6 months of Bank Statements from me (no minimum asked for (!))

5. Copy of my Birth Certificate.

6. Copy of his Birth Certificate.

7. 6 months of my savings account records.

8. 6 months of my US Employer Paychecks

12. Copy of the Land / House Deeds for my mother's house in the UK. (To prove she exists!.)

14. Sponsorship letter from me to guarantee my bf's travel and accommodation costs are covered, and to certify why we are going.

15. Address and phone of all places we will stay.

16. Letter of guarantee of employment from my US Employer.

17. Letter of guarantee of employement from his Thai employer.

18. His Graduation/Study Certificate.

19. Copies of Long Distance phone call records for at least the last 6 months between us (in both directions)

20. Copies of e-mail directory/folder listings, proving e-mail correspondence, for at least 6 months.

22. At least 10 pictures of us together in various locations with a note of the date, place and what we were doing, from the last 2 years...

23. Any Travel tickets and Hotel Reservations with his name on, to show that we have travelled outside Thailand together in the past 2 years..

24. A Questionnaire answered by him.

That is certainly a long list, in fact it is a lot longer than the official one! Most of the things on your agents list are not required.
IMHO, this is crazy. There's something badly wrong here.. somewhere.. with the Tourist Visa system, these days.
I'm afraid this appears to be a case of an agent making it look difficult and complicated in order to extract a fee from you.

In the latest period for which figures are available (2004/5) the British embassy in Bangkok received 35,648 applications for visit visas, of which 31,029 (95.3%) (source; page 42) were issued! It is most definitely not as difficult nor complicated as this agency is suggesting.

The embassy guidance says the following with regard to using a visa agent

Should I ask an agent or an immigration adviser to help me apply for my visa?

You should be careful about using an agent or an immigration adviser as they cannot issue visas, or influence the outcome of your application. There have been cases where agents and immigration advisers have given people poor advice and overcharged them.(my emphasis)

If you are not sure how to make your application, or if you want advice about travelling to the UK, you should read the appropriate guidance on this website, or contact our visa section.

To which I would add, ask here! Edited by GU22

Not sure why you can't just apply direct to the British Embassy rather than go through this agent. But either way , i agree with you that getting a visitors visa to the UK is an absolute farce. Yet you can be any kind of low life from the EU and waltz in anytime.

You're stressed up to the eyeballs by the sound of it and you haven't even applied yet !! Ludicrous isn't it ??

SILOMFAN

With respect, it is appears to be the agent that is responsible for the stress!

That list is ridiculous and way over the top.

Let this be a warning to others. Read the guidance notes and if unsure about anything ask on forums such as this. All the advice you will need can be got here for free.

Why pay an agent a large fee to stress you out? The agent needs to make it look difficult to justify their fee!

Yet you can be any kind of low life from the EU and waltz in anytime.

SILOMFAN

I suspect you wouldn't be saying that if your chap had been a Maltese or Cypriot ?

Honestly, this whingeing self pity is just so unedifying. Try and deal with the world as it is rather than mold it to your own narrow self serving needs. The system works in a fashion and if it doesn't suit then piss off to some other country that comes up to your own brand of snuff.

Whining tossers.

Edited by the gent

I don't think there is anyone on this forum more useless and at the same time insulting , as "the gent" . He appears to serve no purpose other than make nasty insulting remarks to anyone who does not share his uncaring right-wing views. A very nasty person , obviously has an unhappy life.

For me and my partner who is now with me i have the following plan . To live for decades and , when appropriate after we have quit our working lives, BOTH enjoy spongeing off the state for all the benefits we can get for as long as possible . The fact that i intend to live for at least another 50 years - i've never had a days illness in my life - means i will have plenty of time to milk the state (UK) which will give me some satisfaction for all the inconvenience their injustices have caused me . And people like "the gent" only strenthen my resolve to out-live everyone i know and cost the state a fortune. If in the meantime i can bring aThai or 2 here so much the better. All costs the country money which , if it annoys the likes of the gent, is good enough incentive for me .

SILOMFAN

PS administrators, will you please warn the gent that his insulting and personal remarks are against this forums rules . Perhaps he should be suspended??

And I have no doubt that if you fall off the perch before your 3 score and 10 you will be whingeing at the gates bending Paul's ear about how shabbily you have been treated.

Also, it wasn't personal abuse, it was simply an observation. If the cap fits laddie, wear it!

If you want to be taken seriously , and i have said this before, then stop making insulting remarks to people you don't know and try instead to make constructive posts.
I look forward to the day when Silomfan stops his wingeing and follows his own advice; i.e. offers some constructive advice. A short while ago there was a post in the Gay Forum asking for advice on civil partnership visas. As someone who has successfully obtained one then advice from Silomfan would have been pertinent and, I'm sure, welcome. However, he remained silent.

The Gent has a point. If Silomfan's boyfriend was from an EU or EEA country then he most certainly would not be making remarks like

Now that the usual spat with Silomfan is over I'd like to go through that list.

If the application is based upon the relationship between applicant and sponsor, then a copy of the sponsor's passport showing how often (and for how long) the sponsor has visited Thailand is a useful piece of evidence. Alternatively, if living in Thailand then the sponsor proving he is there legally is a great help for the applicant's 'reason to return.'

*2. Complete Xerox copy of every page of his Thai Passport, each page signed.

Waste of time, the embassy will have the applicants passport so they can put the visa in it! No need at all to supply a copy.

?3. 6 months of Bank Statements for him showing at least 100,000Baht average balance in the acct.

If the applicant is funding the trip from their own resources then they need to show that they can afford it. Otherwise, bank statements etc. not required. There is no minimum amount of funds that need to be available, as long as there is enough to fund the visit.

?4. 6 months of Bank Statements from me (no minimum asked for (!))

As above; if the sponsor is funding the visit then they need to show that the can afford it. If the applicant is funding the visit then the sponsor does not need to provide any evidence of funds.

*5. Copy of my Birth Certificate.

Not needed.

*6. Copy of his Birth Certificate.

Not needed unless there is a need to prove a relationship to another applicant; mother and child for example.

?7. 6 months of my savings account records.

See No. 4

?8. 6 months of my US Employer Paychecks

See No. 4

Not essential, but useful if you wish to prove ownership of property.

Yes, although as they will have his passport, I can't see why.

Yes, obviously.

If she is offering to provide accommodation then she needs to show that suitable accommodation exists and is available. If she rented then it would have been a landlords letter.

Yep, I'd go along with that, adds credence to your relationship and the reason for the visit.

A sponsors letter explaining the relationship and reason for the visit at this time is essential. You can offer to meet his travel and accommodation costs, but you can't guarantee it.

*15. Address and phone of all places we will stay.

Not needed, your Mother's letter covers that. Although he should have a rough idea of where you will be visiting during the visit in case he is asked at any interview.

?16. Letter of guarantee of employment from my US Employer.

If you are employed in Thailand then you having a job strengthens his 'reason to return. But if you live and work outside Thailand, this is a waste of time and paper.

?17. Letter of guarantee of employement from his Thai employer.

If he can show that he will have a job on his return, this strengthens his 'reason to return.'

?18. His Graduation/Study Certificate.

If he were using attendance at university or similar as his 'reason to return' then yes; in which case he presumably would not have a full time job so would not have an employers letter. But if he has finished his studies then these documents prove nothing and are not required.

If your relationship is the basis for his visit then you need to show that the relationship is substantive. Indeed, many people have successfully obtained a visit visa for their Thai partner based on the strength of the relationship alone, with no other concrete 'reason to return.'

*23. Any Travel tickets and Hotel Reservations with his name on, to show that we have travelled outside Thailand together in the past 2 years..

Could help show the relationship is real, but mentioning any such travel in your sponsors letter together with the appropriate stamps in your passports would be enough.

*24. A Questionnaire answered by him.

The only 'questionnaire' that the embassy require is the application form! What questions did this agency ask, and why?

* Items definitely not needed.

? Items that have already been covered by other documents, are redundant (e.g. university papers or employers letter. One but not both.) or only apply in certain specific circumstances not pertinent to you and your boyfriends situation.

So from their 24, I would say that 11 are essential, 7 may be useful in certain circumstances and 6 are not needed at all.

Edited by GU22

Not sure why you can't just apply direct to the British Embassy rather than go through this agent. But either way , i agree with you that getting a visitors visa to the UK is an absolute farce. Yet you can be any kind of low life from the EU and waltz in anytime.

You're stressed up to the eyeballs by the sound of it and you haven't even applied yet !! Ludicrous isn't it ??

SILOMFAN

You are right, at least in my experience and that of many others it is a farce, and often an unpredictable one at that. Mrs has just gone back to bkk today after being made to apply for a VV twice, in effect we were charged double what we should have been due to some <deleted> of an interviewer the first time who seemed to be making uo completely insane 'objections' Most of these were impossible to do anything about and as they were not brought up at the second application I can only conclude that one of the officers was not doing the job properly.

Although I did email the embassy for a review etc nobody could or would tell me what the relevance was of objections like- 'no proof husband will retire to thailand in two years', or 'only visits thailand 2-3 times a year', or my favourite 'did not go to Amphur straight after village wedding'.

I hope the new visa application arrangements improve things as they could certainly do with it.

Some agents have given up the UK service due to the unpredicatbility of the outcome even when you have all the bases covered. You are also correct in your Gent comments, just ignore his posts as they deserve to be.

If you want to be taken seriously , and i have said this before, then stop making insulting remarks to people you don't know and try instead to make constructive posts.

I look forward to the day when Silomfan stops his wingeing and follows his own advice; i.e. offers some constructive advice. A short while ago there was a post in the Gay Forum asking for advice on civil partnership visas. As someone who has successfully obtained one then advice from Silomfan would have been pertinent and, I'm sure, welcome. However, he remained silent.

The Gent has a point. If Silomfan's boyfriend was from an EU or EEA country then he most certainly would not be making remarks like

Not at all. The point i was making was that Thais have to jump through an absurd number of hoops just to get a visit visa and yet anyone , however low life , from an EU country can come here and abuse the system if they choose. How is that fair?

I am not surprised that the gent's only input is an insulting one because that is his usual way , but i am surprised that you GU22 condones his appalling insulting behaviour and indeed adds to it yourself. I thought you were better than that !!

This brings to mind something I have been wondering about. Are there ANY Thai tourists that visit the UK?

Let’s just say you are a normal Thai couple or even single person, you have your annual vacation coming up so you fancy visiting the UK for a couple of weeks.

You have heard all about the tradition of British history you’ve seen Bridget Jones and the other Grant movies you want to visit England.

As a Thai CAN you?

:D:D:o

Well it seems that some do get visas to visit the uk. Only last week in the english lakes a party of 10 thai walkers were rescued off the lakeland fells wearing just t shirts and pulling suitcases behind them. Click the link for the full story

http://thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/search/...rts_rescued.php

having just come back from doi intannon where I honeymooned with my thai wife who complained that she was cold couldn't help but smile :D

Edited by the weaver

95.3% maybe, But read through the print on page 42 and make your own mind up. I have, and it reads like a bad cook book no wonder there's such a bad taste in the air. Or better still have an on going poll to clear the air. If the success rate was anywhere near that stated then TV must account to having has members all of the disapointed 4.7%. And i'm not i may add.

Well my B/F applied for a one month visa last summer to come and stay with me, I had to supply copy of my bank statements, details of employment plus certificate from employer showing I was employed, details of home to show I could accommodate plus details fo how we met, how we keep in touch and what was our relationship. In addition I had to say who would take care of him if something happened to me.He was then given a six month visa with no problems.

However, when he arrived at Manchester Airport (where I was waiting) he was held by immigration for three hours, no reason given (well his english is limited so he didnt understand) The annoying part was I was in the terminal and they could have called for me and explained! Anyways he was eventually allowed to go and we had a wonderful holiday!

Edited by JohnC

Chris,

I does appear that the list of documents you've been provided with is generated by the agent rather than being a requirement of the embassy. The immigration rules stipulate that the applicant needs to satisfy the visa officer that they are a genuine visitor who intends to leave the UK at the end of their visit. The applicable burden is the balance of probabilities and any document which helps satisfy the criteria can be used with the application, but nowhere in the rules is there a prescribed list.

Scouse.

95.3% maybe, But read through the print on page 42 and make your own mind up. I have, and it reads like a bad cook book no wonder there's such a bad taste in the air. Or better still have an on going poll to clear the air.
Care to explain what you mean? The figures are arrived at by the simple method of counting them! There may be a slight mathematical discrepancy, which is explained in the introduction.

I have referred to these figures before and there is always someone who tries to imply that they are in some way false. So, again, I ask, why? What possible reason could there be for making these figures up?

If the success rate was anywhere near that stated then TV must account to having has members all of the disapointed 4.7%. And i'm not i may add.
It is obvious that most people who post on a forum such as this do so because they want advice. Most of the posts are from people seeking such advice before making an application. Very often subsequent posts show that they were successful. For those posts from people that have been refused, in most when the full facts are revealed then the refusal is down to poor preparation by the applicant/sponsor, or unrealistic expectations such as trying to get a visa for someone they've only known for a couple of weeks (usually someone they've barfined for a couple of weeks).

Obtaining a UK visa is simply a matter of showing that the criteria are met. Sometimes this does mean providing reams of paper evidence and if that is not sufficient an interview. But for the vast majority of applicants it is a simple matter of filling in the form, submitting it with the relevant documents and then receiving the visa.

As I have said before, sometimes mistakes are made and someone who shouldn't get a visa does and vice versa, but other than a complete open door policy, no-one has yet come up with a workable alternative.

The agent used by the OP has an obvious reason for trying to make people believe that obtaining a UK visa is difficult and complicated. If people knew how simple it really is then they would not pay the agents fee, would they?

What I cannot understand is why certain members here seem intent on doing the same. I wonder what their motives are.

But all this has been gone over again and again, search past posts if interested.

As a Thai CAN you?

:D:D:D

Well it seems that some do get visas to visit the uk. Only last week in the english lakes a party of 10 thai walkers were rescued off the lakeland fells wearing just t shirts and pulling suitcases behind them. Click the link for the full story

http://thisisthelakedistrict.co.uk/search/...rts_rescued.php

having just come back from doi intannon where I honeymooned with my thai wife who complained that she was cold couldn't help but smile :D

Don’t know about them being tourists :o:D

Seems like they just came of an :D erm! - boat :D

GU22. Like i said make your own mind up, for me past events has left me sceptical of all government figures regardless of aspect.

As the saying's goes ' once a bargirl always a bargirl ' so i can't see the difference between knowing one two weeks or two years not all guy's are fortunate to fastrack and stay in the kingdom 5 month's out of 8 to prove a relationship, It's simply a case of the ECO's being economic with the truth when one's application is placed in the ' no reason to return ' tray.

Many thanks to GU22 and all the other positive replies...

I am also skeptical of Govt People who have some "power" and don't have to explain their reasons or motives.. so I would rather do too MUCH than too little. I don't want to give them ANY small reason to say no.

I chose an Agent (especially one who is a ThaiVisa Sponsor because of reading all the difficulties of others. I wanted their advice and knowledge of doing this lots of times. Is it as hard as it sounds..?? maybe not.. maybe it is. I have no knowledge of the process and possible pitfalls myself, but I DO know that getting him into the USA on a Tourist Visa would be nigh impossible.

So, Yes, the agent is probably asking too much "evidence", BUT I believe they also want to make SURE they have all their bases covered so that they can continue to claim a near 100% success rate at Visa applications..

Btw, I do NOT live in the Kingdom, I live and work in the USA.. but I have visited LOS about 12 times in the past 2 years.. Some long stays, some short.

When I have the result, I will publish the name of the agent I used..

Chris P.

When my wife applied for her visa. It really was a piece of piss getting a visa. Letter from her employer and mine was about all they asked to see. That and our wedding certificate. She was in there 2 hours as i stood outside smoking cigarettes with another farang. Her interview was no more than 2 minuites. Ok. Pick up passport next week. It was really that easy. She had loads of things with her. pics etc. But was never asked to show them. But its best to have more than enough info. But i think the list from the OP is a bit much.IMHO. WQe have just got back this morning after being away for nearly two weeks. She had a great time and had no problems at passport control.

ChrisP, Firstly may i say i'm also opposed to the use of agents but i can understand your concern even more so being american, just follow both head and heart and if you think the extra milage and expence is worth it then go for it, there's guy's out there who refuse to slap in a 2nd application thinking it to be a waste of money after the first being refused now that say's a lot about a love relationship (not). Don't be mislead by the UK figure of 95.3% it was i'm led to believe 63% for those in a similar situation to you when one discounts the kids etc.

Btw, I do NOT live in the Kingdom, I live and work in the USA.. but I have visited LOS about 12 times in the past 2 years.. Some long stays, some short.
This, if anything, will make it a lot easier. He's not going to be tempted to stay in the UK when his boyfriend lives in the US!
I DO know that getting him into the USA on a Tourist Visa would be nigh impossible.
Compared to the US (and Australia), getting a visit visa for the UK certainly is a piece of piss!

bangkokblue, you said

As the saying's goes ' once a bargirl always a bargirl ' so i can't see the difference between knowing one two weeks or two years
I for one find the comment "once a bargirl always a bargirl" to be pandering to prejudice. Shame on you. Fortunately the ECOs at the British embassy do not have a similar prejudice. As long as they are satisfied that the relationship is genuine they couldn't care less about the past occupation of the applicant, nor their sexual preferences, come to that. However, the longer the relationship has been going, the easier it is to show that it is genuine.
Don't be mislead by the UK figure of 95.3% it was i'm led to believe 63% for those in a similar situation to you when one discounts the kids etc.
Led to believe by whom? ChrisP is in a stable, long term relationship and he and his b/f have a genuine reason for visiting the UK. What makes you believe this will count against his b/f's application?

ChrisP, Firstly may i say i'm also opposed to the use of agents but i can understand your concern even more so being american, just follow both head and heart and if you think the extra milage and expence is worth it then go for it, there's guy's out there who refuse to slap in a 2nd application thinking it to be a waste of money after the first being refused now that say's a lot about a love relationship (not). Don't be mislead by the UK figure of 95.3% it was i'm led to believe 63% for those in a similar situation to you when one discounts the kids etc.

can you expand a bit on what you mean by your last point of the 63% bit

GU22. ' Pondering to prejudice' is most certainly an understatment, i prefer Thai full stop, and i've put up with the 'shame on you ' tage for the past 9yrs with this exbargirl but i would'nt change her for the world. If that dos'nt convince you of my stand then you are invited to carry out your own street poll from the numerous bargirls i've assisted in their relationships over the years, but time is needed because it runs into the hundreds.

I wish i could read into the minds of some ECO's like you can, But that of ChisP's read different with a pop up thank you for my reply so i take it was received as ment and not as you thought.

'I was led to believe', Regarding the 63% success rate was from you or was it posted by someone else of similar knowledge. Whoever, it certainly fits the mark for Man meets Girl first time visitor visa category Unless of course you have statistical breakdown to prove otherwise which would be very helpful it would make life on the street a lot easier.

I'm sorry, your first 2 paragraphs are difficult to understand, but I think the gist of it is that your original "once a bargirl always a bargirl" remark was meant as a sort of jest? If so, then I guess I over reacted.

I don't recall mentioning that the actual success rate is nearer 63%. If I did, then I was obviously wrong.

The visa statistics are not broken down to show an applicants past or present employment. I do know from talking to many applicants whose partners are or were bargirls that, provided they've known each other longer than a couple of weeks, the success rate is about level with the average.