Bicycles...

whopper

I'm in the market for a couple of bikes, any opinions regarding good brands, shops and experiences are appreciated.

thanks

Hi, are you loking for a road bike, mountian bike or a version of both. I'm a mad mountain biker and use a Cannondale Ravon 4000 which is a US made bike and is very expensive. In the UK is cost £4000.

If your looking for a good bike that doesn't cost to much consider Trek. They make very good quality road and mountain bikes. They have some pricey ones too but start from about £100 pounds and the parts are quite cheap. If your not going off road then you should really have any issues with maintainance other than normal wear, tyres etc.

Heres some top bike names.

Lite Speed

Cannondale (start at about £500)

Trek (with kona probably the most affordable).

Kona

White

Marin

Santa Cruz

Edited by BlimeyCharlie

I'm very happy with the Trek 4300 mountain bike I bought at Chaitawat for about B10K last December. I go off road from time to time (Doi Suthep, Doi Pui), and nothing has cracked yet. It's a good frame to start with, and I can upgrade components as needed. Anyway, Chaitawat had the best prices on Trek that I could find. Nice people, good service.

Song Jakayan on the inside of the northeast corner of the moat sells Merida bikes (among other brands)--a good bike in the same price range as Trek. I didn't find a large enough Merida frame. I found customer service there to be so-so, depending on who is manning the shop that day.

The cool season is coming--we can hit the trails again soon!!

I'm very happy with the Trek 4300 mountain bike I bought at Chaitawat for about B10K last December. I go off road from time to time (Doi Suthep, Doi Pui), and nothing has cracked yet. It's a good frame to start with, and I can upgrade components as needed. Anyway, Chaitawat had the best prices on Trek that I could find. Nice people, good service.

Song Jakayan on the inside of the northeast corner of the moat sells Merida bikes (among other brands)--a good bike in the same price range as Trek. I didn't find a large enough Merida frame. I found customer service there to be so-so, depending on who is manning the shop that day.

did the Trek 4300 come with front shocks???

also this shop named chaitawat, is it just before Talat Warorot if you are coming on the road from the moat area??? ie Mike's Original Burgers?

If you're looking for a quality road bike, the best shop in CM is Jacky's on the left hand side of Chiang Phuak Road, just north of the market. You'll need to know what you want though as no one there speaks much English, unless, of course, you speak Thai.

I'm in the market for a couple of bikes, any opinions regarding good brands, shops and experiences are appreciated.

thanks

Hi, are you loking for a road bike, mountian bike or a version of both. I'm a mad mountain biker and use a Cannondale Ravon 4000 which is a US made bike and is very expensive. In the UK is cost £4000.

If your looking for a good bike that doesn't cost to much consider Trek. They make very good quality road and mountain bikes. They have some pricey ones too but start from about £100 pounds and the parts are quite cheap. If your not going off road then you should really have any issues with maintainance other than normal wear, tyres etc.

Lite Speed

Kona

White

Marin

Santa Cruz

You left out Specialized!

thanks

Lite Speed

Kona

White

Marin

Santa Cruz

You left out Specialized!

used to love the GT's and their triangular frames.

While we're at it. You left out LA!

did the Trek 4300 come with front shocks???

also this shop named chaitawat, is it just before Talat Warorot if you are coming on the road from the moat area??? ie Mike's Original Burgers?

Yes the Trek 4300 came with front shocks, adjustable RSTs. According to my internet research, theyare apparently an improvement over the much-criticized shocks of earlier models, but not all that great.

No, Chaitawat is inside the moat. Heading west, with Tapae gate to your back, go down Rajadamnoen Rd and take a left at the 4-way intersection at Prapokklao. I think it is the second 4-way intersection. The shop is a few hundred meters down the road, on the right hand side. It's small so keep your eyes out. Good luck!

~

If I may tag on a similar request:

I have a bike but my pelvic bone cannot handle the skinny seats. Is there a shop that offers a good selection of wide seats that actually fit a human butt? I am also looking for a wide selection of handlebars.

And please give explicit directions - I get lost easily.

Thanks in advance and see you on the road...?

Edited by Dustoff

~

I have a bike but my pelvic bone cannot handle the skinny seats. Is there a shop that offers a good selection of wide seats that actually fit a human butt? I am also looking for a wide selection of handlebars.

I solved that problem in the UK by getting a gel-filled saddle cover that just tie-fastens over the skinny seat. Sounds crazy/bizarre - but very comfortable. Don't know if they have made it to Thailand, though...............

~

I solved that problem in the UK by getting a gel-filled saddle cover that just tie-fastens over the skinny seat. Sounds crazy/bizarre - but very comfortable. Don't know if they have made it to Thailand, though...............

Tesco Lotus on the Hang Don road have gel filled covers. Did a month or so ago anyway.

Thanks but I purchased a gel cover at Tesco about six months ago and that does me for about 15 minutes of riding but is not the solution.

Thanks but I purchased a gel cover at Tesco about six months ago and that does me for about 15 minutes of riding but is not the solution.

try getting in touch with Probike Bangkok. www.probike.co.th

quite sure they carry them. let us know if they do.

I was brought by a friend to Jacky's Bike a few years ago, bought him a mountain bike and have been going there since, good ,quick and friendly service, a good range of bikes and accessories, he's got gel saddles ( I got one as well...)

slightly off topic, but has anyone brought their MTB from their country? Do you have to give notice to the airline? And did it cost a whole lot?

Just thinking of packing my MTB back from NZ next time Im back, or would it be cheaper to sell it in NZ and buying again here? Probably wont get much or it now.

cheers

slightly off topic, but has anyone brought their MTB from their country? Do you have to give notice to the airline? And did it cost a whole lot?

Just thinking of packing my MTB back from NZ next time Im back, or would it be cheaper to sell it in NZ and buying again here? Probably wont get much or it now.

cheers

I brought my Moots MTB from the states. Really glad I did rather than starting from scratch here. I came on China Air and it was free from SFO to BKK. I think they allow about 20 kilos for free and has to be within a certain size box. Check with each airlone

No idea what kind of prices you have in NZ. Compared to the States most bikes and parts are more expensive here in Thailand. Some of the shimano parts are the same price.

The one thing I would recommend is to bring non US or eurospecific parts like shoe cleats and other replaceable components. The shimano components are priced well in CM. For US or Euro specific brands like Sram, crank brothers, SIDI, Hugi etc then its hard to find parts at all or if you can they are a lot more expensive. Depends on how long you plan on being here. Tire selection here is somewhat sparse and expensive. Hutchinson is a common stocked here but not any real selection. If you have favorites tires then bring a few spares to last you for the given time you will be here. Even though Continental tires are made in Thailand they cannot be purchased or ordered in CM. You can of course have most anything shipped to you here via ebay etc.

Socks and shorts. For some reason you cannot buy a durable sock like the Pearl Izumi in Thailand. This makes no real sense to me but anyway bring some good ones with you.

I think Jacky bike is probably the best shop in town. Top Gear is second and still good.

Hope that helps.

• 3 years later...

I brought my expensive custom Mountain bike from America on China airlines.

no fee.

Bought a cardboard bike box from the United airlines counter for $10.

Take off the pedals, rotate the handlebars 90 degrees and

roll the bike into the box. Right at the airline counter.

Easy.

I put spare tires and stuff in the box, got the weight up to 30kg!

China airlines never complained. And Thai customs just waved me thru.

Sweet!

Edited by compounds