Anti-corruption Body To Act On Unusually Rich Politicians

george

Anti-corruption body to act on unusually rich politicians

BANGKOK: -- Only three days after being appointed by the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM), the nine-member anti-corruption body will hold its first meeting Monday.

The new National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) will have as its main task the mandate to accelerate investigating unusually wealthy politicians, and to begin to address an accumulated backlog of over 10,000 previous cases.

Vicha Mahakhun, a member of the new commission, told Thai News Agency in an exclusive interview that the most urgent responsibility of the NCCC is to find evidence relating to accused corrupt politicians and to open the backlog of complaints filed with the former NCCC.

Mr. Vicha said he agreed with a proposal made by academics that the commission should adjust its role by focusing on investigating politicians and senior civil servants who are unusually rich, and that appropriate government agencies should take action regarding public officials at lower than C8 level.

The law may have to be amended and details will have to be discussed with other NCCC members, he said.

Members of the public with sufficient evidence on politicians or officials being dishonest can send complaints to NCCC and the graft busters should consider them, he said.

NCCC member Klanarong Chantik is already well-known as a prominent critic of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra when as former NCCC secretary-general he made headlines in 2001 by accusing the then prime minister of submitting a deliberately false statement of his assets when he was deputy prime minister in 1997.

The Constitution Court finally acquitted Mr. Thaksin by a margin of one vote.

Vicha said he will not be able to attend the first meeting of NCCC Monday as he has to attend a court hearing but the secretary general of the NCCC will forward him all the necessary documents.

--TNA 2006-09-24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[... ] Mr. Vicha said he agreed with a proposal made by academics that the commission should adjust its role by focusing on investigating politicians and senior civil servants who are unusually rich, and that appropriate government agencies should take action regarding public officials at lower than C8 level. [... ]

--TNA 2006-09-24

SUPER NEWS!!! Well done Vicha!! GO GET 'EM! :o:D

The new National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) will have as its main task the mandate to accelerate investigating unusually wealthy politicians, and to begin to address an accumulated backlog of over 10,000 previous cases.

Anybody want to wager this backlog started to accumulate about five or six years ago? :o

Anybody want to wager this backlog started to accumulate about five or six years ago? :D

I cannot wait to see how many of these questionable characters out on indefinite bail for numerous offences due to wealth and position are re investigated and brought back before the newly formed

departments of the NCCC and the CDRM.

Some very serious offenders among them.

The infamous Chonburi godfather and his family come to mind and happened to have a member in the what now appears to be, defuncted TRT ????????

I was tempted to leave the de and the n out of the last bit but it,s not polite.

( an old favourite mis carriage of justice of mine.)

Also all those government officials conveniently given in active postings to stop speculations on corruption and many other scandals from being exposed.

Kudos again for the good work now being carried out to rectify the last 5 years of abuse and plundering of the nations coffers by the TRT. :D

At last there is a way forward out of the chaos Toxin created and maybe some real justice given out along with holidays in the plush B.Hilton to serve out their time among the petty criminals the

previous administration put there.

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Anybody want to wager this backlog started to accumulate about five or six years ago? :D

I cannot wait to see how many of these questionable characters out on indefinite bail for numerous offences due to wealth and position are re investigated and brought back before the newly formed

The infamous Chonburi godfather and his family come to mind and happened to have a member in the what now appears to be, defuncted TRT ????????

I was tempted to leave the de and the n out of the last bit but it,s not polite.

Also all those government officials conveniently given in active postings to stop speculations on corruption and many other scandals from being exposed.

Kudos again for the good work now being carried out to rectify the last 5 years of abuse and plundering of the nations coffers by the TRT. :D

At last there is a way forward out of the chaos Toxin created and maybe some real justice given out along with holidays in the plush B.Hilton to serve out their time among the petty criminals the

I very much doubt anyone will go to prison. At least no one as high up as cabinet level will.

I hope they do, but really can't see it happening.

The infamous Chonburi godfather and his family come to mind and happened to have a member in fhe what now appears to be, defuncted TRT ????????

Toxin's nightmare is about to get even worse. Perhaps it will be called "The Revenge of The Sonthi"

Following the "Attack of The Sondi" earlier in the year.

With all his so called political smarts he failed to see what might happen while he was swanning around at the U.N. rubbing shouldersand having Koffi with Tony, George, Jacques & Vladimir.

If he wanted to survive he should never have left "Rome in the hands of the legions"

How the mighty have fallen!

So far this coupe looks like the beginning of a new and wonderful era in Thai history, lets hope that they can keep the momentum up and clean the country as well as setting down new rules and clean officials to prevent this “mould” to ever spread again.

Viking

I very much doubt anyone will go to prison. At least no one as high up as cabinet level will.

I hope they do, but really can't see it happening.

Sit down and brace yourself, you're about to be blown away. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry supports NCCC;s investigation on the Klong Dan waste water treatment project

The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry will provide full support for the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC)’s investigation on alleged corruption involving the Klong Dan (คลองด่าน) waste water treatment project in Samut Prakan.

Deputy permanent-secretary Apichai Chawacharoenpan (อภิชัย ชวเจริญพันธ์) said ministry officials have already gathered information related to the project for NCCC. The inquiry on the alleged corruption has been much delayed and the statute of limitations will expire at the end of this year.

Mr. Apichai said, however, that as an environmentalist, the Klong Dan waste water treatment project needs to proceed given water pollution problems in Samut Prakan.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 September 2006

Alleged corruption concerning procurements of rubber saplings will be investigated

The Agriculture and Cooperatives Ministry pledges cooperation with any inquiry on alleged corruption concerning procurements of rubber saplings ordered by the Council of Democratic Reform under the Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM).

Permanent-Secretary Banpot Hongthong (บรรพต หงส์ทอง) said the ministry will give information about those suspected of involvement in the alleged corruption. Mr. Banpot, however, said he believed former minister Khunying Sudarat Keyurapan (สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธ์) was not involved because the purchase was made before she took office at the ministry.

Mr. Banpot said the ministry itself will look into complaints that corruption was rife at the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 in Chiang Mai.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 26 September 2006

BANGKOK: -- Only three days after being appointed by the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM), the nine-member anti-corruption body will hold its first meeting Monday.

Vicha Mahakhun, a member of the new commission, told Thai News Agency in an exclusive interview that the most urgent responsibility of the NCCC is to find evidence relating to accused corrupt politicians and to open the backlog of complaints filed with the former NCCC.

Mr. Vicha said he agreed with a proposal made by academics that the commission should adjust its role by focusing on investigating politicians and senior civil servants who are unusually rich, and that appropriate government agencies should take action regarding public officials at lower than C8 level.

The law may have to be amended and details will have to be discussed with other NCCC members, he said.

Members of the public with sufficient evidence on politicians or officials being dishonest can send complaints to NCCC and the graft busters should consider them, he said.

NCCC member Klanarong Chantik is already well-known as a prominent critic of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra when as former NCCC secretary-general he made headlines in 2001 by accusing the then prime minister of submitting a deliberately false statement of his assets when he was deputy prime minister in 1997.

The Constitution Court finally acquitted Mr. Thaksin by a margin of one vote.

Vicha said he will not be able to attend the first meeting of NCCC Monday as he has to attend a court hearing but the secretary general of the NCCC will forward him all the necessary documents.

--TNA 2006-09-24

I wish it would take a look at me too. I'm unusually poor ! :o

It's not just the politicians that are bent.

What about the middle ranking police who drive around in brand new Merc's ? :o

I don't know how much their salary is before "perks" but I doubt it would cover the cost of anything more than a pick up truck :D

Corruption at this level, throughout Thai society, will remain as before. With just one year, the focus looks like it will be on big fish only.

I believe as many posters here that it will be a uphill tasks to prosecute these currupt officials much less force them in jail.

The currupt system is here long before Taksin was elected. The most that can be done is educate the public and exposed to the people the offenders and shows how they were damaging the country. Many still believe that curruption in the public and private sectors are normal ways of life here :o

Gen. Sonthi to discuss with NCCC to investigate all the projects of the government

The Council for Democratic Reform under the Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), will have a discussion with National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) President Panthep Klanarongran (ปานเทพ กล้าณรงค์ราญ) and Auditor-General Jaruwan Maintaka (จารุวรรณ เมณฑะกา). They will investigate all projects of the previous government.

Meanwhile, Gen. Sonthi said ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had contacted with the CDRM Secretary. Gen. Sonthi said the former premier knows best whether or not he should return to Thailand during this period.

Gen. Sonthi also denied that he mentioned about the confiscation of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin’s properties. He said it is the responsibility of the NCCC and the Office of the Auditor-General to investigate this case.

I believe as many posters here that it will be a uphill tasks to prosecute these currupt officials much less force them in jail.

The currupt system is here long before Taksin was elected. The most that can be done is educate the public and exposed to the people the offenders and shows how they were damaging the country. Many still believe that curruption in the public and private sectors are normal ways of life here :o

a very stumulating pust.

Gen. Sonthi to discuss with NCCC to investigate all the projects of the government

The Council for Democratic Reform under the Constitutional Monarchy (CDRM) Chairman, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน), will have a discussion with National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) President Panthep Klanarongran (ปานเทพ กล้าณรงค์ราญ) and Auditor-General Jaruwan Maintaka (จารุวรรณ เมณฑะกา). They will investigate all projects of the previous government.

Meanwhile, Gen. Sonthi said ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had contacted with the CDRM Secretary. Gen. Sonthi said the former premier knows best whether or not he should return to Thailand during this period.

Gen. Sonthi also denied that he mentioned about the confiscation of Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin’s properties. He said it is the responsibility of the NCCC and the Office of the Auditor-General to investigate this case.

Now THAT would have been an interesting conversation. But what is going on? Pojaman just arrived in London and Tacky is already considering his return to Thailand....150-odd suitcases later and they still forgot something important? I guess it's the immoveable assets they are hoping to protect. Power to Khunying Jaruvan & the NCCC in their investigations!

It's not just the politicians that are bent.

What about the middle ranking police who drive around in brand new Merc's ? :o

I don't know how much their salary is before "perks" but I doubt it would cover the cost of anything more than a pick up truck :D

Ideally the new Gov. could build a sort of Holiday Camp for them all up in somewhere like Nong Khai where they could spend all day long playing on the roundabouts.

They could also build hundreds and hundreds of those little beer bar stalls that you get in the boonies of Pattaya and then all of the re-assigned stalwarts of Bangkoks Finest could drive around in their new imported Robin reliants and ask for T$ donations from cardboard Cut outs of farang bar owners and plastic lookalike mamma sans....wota lotta jolly fun.......O for the old days....

Sir Billy Butlin where are you....? :D

err.... maybe not Nong K....perhaps.... Pattani...

A while ago, after the elections were nullified, I had a crazy idea that my wife liked and shared on Thai forums. It was well accepted by the anti-Thaksin crowd. :o

The museum of corruption.

No construction is involved as it could be set up in a building seized in the near future, Thaksin's residence, the Chiang Mai zoo, the Thai Rak Thai headquarters etc. All operations are paid for from seized fortunes and assets. Guilty TRT politicians, cronies and followers would be detained IN the museum with an audio/video presentation particular to each case, played over and over next to their cells on opening hours, 7 days a week. You could also imitate TRT's headquarters and have a TRT corruption scam timeline in the main lobby along with a selection of books exposing and explaining the scams, this time, proposed by Sondhi himself, not dear leader. Finding your way around is easy, simply follow the TRT logos printed on the floor.

Chuwit would be top warden, walking around with his sledgehammer, starting every morning round by waking up all the inmates to the sweet sounds of the National Anthem followed by the remixed and extended 30 minute version of Ai Na Liam (Square Faced Man). Upcountry farmers get free admission. Free Ample Rich brand coffee for all visitors. Any prisoner breaking house rules is isolated on Virgin Island, a small mound in the middle of a crocodile and mosquito infested pond at the back of the museum. Just like the April 2006 elections, each inmate gets his own ballot box shaped toilet positioned in a way that allows no privacy. Inmates can only write home with the use of a rubber stamp. On your way out, find a fake car bomb in your car trunk and get a free one year membership to IPSTAR and AIS.

The closing time presentation shows Thaksin applying facial cream before bedtime while singing Jailhouse Rock and The End by The Doors.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Asset Inspection Panel Chairman insists no conflicts in the cooperation between his panel and Auditor General Office

Mr. Sawat Chotepanich (สวัสดิ์ โชติพานิช), the Chairman of the Asset Inspection Panel, which has been set up following the 23rd announcement of the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR), insisted that the cooperation between his panel and the Office of the Auditor General is still smooth.

Mr. Sawat confirmed that both agencies do not have any disagreement, and they had set up the working framework during the meeting yesterday. With regard to the news about the problem between him and Auditor General Jaruwan Maintaka, he insisted that he did not interfere with the operation of the Auditor General Office. He said he does not know where the source of such rumour comes from. He added that the panel will need the cooperation and information from various units, but he has never intervened in their works.

Mr. Sawat said no meeting between the panel members will be held today, but he will come to the office this afternoon to have a talk with the Japanese Ambassador to Thailand.

Meanwhile, Auditor-General Jaruwan has refused to talk to media in any matter.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 September 2006

NCCC holds a meeting to clear pending cases

The National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) called a meeting with relevant units to clear all pending cases. NCCC President Panthep Klanarongran (ปานเทพ กล้าณรงค์ราญ) believes that the announcement of the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR) on giving the NCCC full authority to deal with corruption cases will help facilitate the work process.

The meeting started at 10:00 hours today at the NCCC Office on Phitsanulok (พิษณุโลก) Road where Mr. Panthep delivered the speech saying that this meeting was held to acknowledge corruption complaints and details of all pending issues. The meeting also followed up on the investigation progress. Cases deemed to cause damage to the public in a wide range such as Klong Dan case was discussed in the meeting as well.

Following the 30th and 31st CDR announcements to give all power to the NCCC on scrutinizing matters related to corruption, Mr. Panthep said the orders would allow the NCCC to work on different cases much easier. He, however, said that the confiscation of assets being performed by the NCCC will not obstruct the Inspection Panel’s operation.

Mr. Klanarong Chanthik (กล้าณรงค์ จันทิก), a NCCC commissioner as well as an Inspection Panel member, said that he will coordinate the operations between two units, adding that he will inform the NCCC regulations during his meeting with the panel so they would share a mutual understanding.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 October 2006

NCCC urged to speed up on investigating the 6-trillion-baht purchase of fire trucks

The Democrat Party has urged the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) to speed up its investigation on the 6-trillion-baht purchase of fire-fighting equipment by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

Democrat Party executive Yuthapong Charas-sathian (ยุทธพงศ์ จรัสเสถียร) has submitted a letter to NCCC President Panthep Klanarongran (ปานเทพ กล้าณรงค์ราญ), requesting NCCC to punish culprits in the case of alleged corruption in the fire truck procurement.

He said that he used to hand the letter once in 2004 and the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) stated that there were 7 wrongdoers.

Therefore, he would like NCCC to consider the case and issue the result of the verification before the punishment period expires.

After receiving the document related to the matter, Mr. Panthep has promised that he will speed up the investigation in this important case.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 October 2006