New Salary Requirements For The Extension Of Stay Based On Business Starting Oct 1st

New salary requirements for the extension of stay based on Business starting Oct 1st, 2006

Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, USA

50,000 Baht/month

South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong

45,000 Baht/month

Other Asian Countries not listed, South America, East Europe, Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia, South Africa

35,000 Baht/month

Africa, Cambodia, Burma, Laos, Vietnam

25,000 Baht/month

The old salary requirements that was updated in 2004 for the extension of stay based on business

United States, Canada, Japan

60,000 baht/month

Europe, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand

50,000 baht/month

Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea

45,000 baht/month

India, Malaysia, Middle East

45,000 baht/month

China, Philippines, Indonesia

35,000 baht/month

Africa, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam

25,000 baht/month

Journalists working for Thailand newspapers

20,000 baht/month

You of course can get a higher salary and qualify for the extension of stay based on business.

More:

New changes for the Extension of stay based on Business for Oct 1st 2006.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85892

http://www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

It seems strange the rates went down, not up??

Did they ever REALLY change??? :D

I've had a valid work permit for the past 6 years - as a teacher I've quite got close to 50k a month!!

Whatever... I'm soon - to the lovely land of OZ.... ByeBye TL :o

Anyway, year after year you must to increase your salary (few thousand baht) in order to get you visa/working permit... So these salaries are only for the first year.

Rubbish

If that were the case then Thai employers of foreigners would have annual pay rises enforced on them by government - it simply doesn't happen. It's also not witten into the law anywhere, that your salary has to increment annually. This is Thailand, not Euroland.

I've been waiting for something like the OP since last Tuesday night. I'm predicting there'll be a lot more reversals of Thaksin's punitive policies aimed at foreigners. If you need a reason why, go view the DTI website and look at the staggering drop in DTI sponsored foreign investments in Thailand.

They were growing steadily up to year 2000, then from 2001 they fell to 10% of the rate under the Democrats, and probably would have plummeted to near zero this year and next year if Mr T had not been ousted. The generals keep their eyes on more than just military matters and politics. They'll be fully briefed about how the foreign investors have turned away from Thailand under Thaksinomics.

Gaz

Rubbish

If that were the case then Thai employers of foreigners would have annual pay rises enforced on them by government - it simply doesn't happen. It's also not witten into the law anywhere, that your salary has to increment annually. This is Thailand, not Euroland.

I am agree with you... but...... I am owner of a (small) company since 5 years, then I have also to show every year to the immigration division that I have increased salary (few hundred bath) to all my employes. >>> Nam man paeng, as they like to say !!!!!!!!!!

Other Asian Countries not listed, South America, East Europe, Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia, South Africa

35,000 Baht/month

Does anybody know which countries are in the category if "East Europe"? (e.g. I'm from Hungary, am I an Easter European? Some from different countries would say this, but some others would say that it is Middle-Europe.)

I've been waiting for something like the OP since last Tuesday night. I'm predicting there'll be a lot more reversals of Thaksin's punitive policies aimed at foreigners.

this is not due to the coup...it was announced before then...my lawyer told me about it weeks before... one officer at immigration stated that they wanted to encourage people to comply with the law by making it a bit easier... give credit where credit is due....immigration did do something encouraging (even though its only a gesture probably not likely to affect too many)...at least they didnt raise the amounts

Edited by trajan

It seems strange the rates went down, not up??

Did they ever REALLY change??? :D

I've had a valid work permit for the past 6 years - as a teacher I've quite got close to 50k a month!!

Whatever... I'm soon - to the lovely land of OZ.... ByeBye TL :o

Can't imagine many teachers do crack 50k. if you are salaried at a govnt school, surely it would be imposible. as a private school teacher it is still no easy feat.

35,000 Baht/month

Does anybody know which countries are in the category if "East Europe"? (e.g. I'm from Hungary, am I an Easter European? Some from different countries would say this, but some others would say that it is Middle-Europe.)

As there isn't any "Middle-Europe" in the list but only "Europe" and "East Europe" I think it's a safe bet that Hungary falls into the East Europe category.

What I find strange is that New Zealand, which in the old list was in the same category as Europe and Australia, now seems to fall into the category of "other Asian countries not listed". Also, it would now seem that the United Kingdom is a part of Europe :o

Sophon

As there isn't any "Middle-Europe" in the list but only "Europe" and "East Europe" I think it's a safe bet that Hungary falls into the East Europe category.

But they could mean Europe = European Union, then Hungary belongs to the same category as Sweden, Switzerland, Germany; what would definitely be very strange because there is still a huge gap between the old part of EU and the new-comers.

Edited by csroland

Rubbish

I am agree with you... but...... I am owner of a (small) company since 5 years, then I have also to show every year to the immigration division that I have increased salary (few hundred bath) to all my employes. >>> Nam man paeng, as they like to say !!!!!!!!!!

That increase applies to your employees, not to you, and is in accordance with the minimum salary laws - if immigration is insisting you adjust salaries upwards every year, then stop being Kee Niaow and pay them above the minimum salary to begin with :D:o

Hmmm, on the one hand it does make it look more possible that I could find some work in Thailand and meet the requirement for minimum salary (I'm a cheap charley and don't need much to live on), but on the other hand, it makes you wonder why there's a salary difference between countries? Are they saying that those workers from "Europe, Australia, Canada, Japan, USA" are worth 2x those from "Africa, Cambodia, Burma, Laos, Vietnam" and their wages should reflect that? Or are they saying that the government likes the first mentioned group only 1/2 as much and it's a way of restricting them? My head hurts. Or like my tilak says "You think too much!"

Hi,

It has to be good news for companies that are looking to hire people from overseas, but I for one cannot understand why the difference between the salaries for different nations. If, for example, I was earning 60,000 baht per month why should I, as a British expat, be paid more do to exactly the same job that someone from, for example, Vietnam? The job and it's responsibilities and challenges are no different, and it still costs the same to live here regardless of where you come from.

I know this is 'Amazing Thailand' and I'm not critical in any way, just wondering. <smiles>

Andy.

It seems the answer to my concern below is obvious. But, only having had a retirement Visa in the past (now expired), I would appreciate anyone who understands the salary requirements confirming.

I have recently been attending a class to teach English. My objective was to teach part-time (therefore making little money) in order to do something worthwhile and relieve some retitrement boredom. Since I would be making little money, please confirm, I would not meet the requirements for a Non-Immigrant B Visa. And, since one is not allowed to work at all on a retirement Visa, it seems there is no way for me to be able to teach part-time. Therefore, I would have to leave Thailand and go to Cambodia which does not have any salary requirements in order to teach part-time (or some other country). Thanks to anyone who can confirm the above.

Hi,

It has to be good news for companies that are looking to hire people from overseas, but I for one cannot understand why the difference between the salaries for different nations. If, for example, I was earning 60,000 baht per month why should I, as a British expat, be paid more do to exactly the same job that someone from, for example, Vietnam? The job and it's responsibilities and challenges are no different, and it still costs the same to live here regardless of where you come from.

I know this is 'Amazing Thailand' and I'm not critical in any way, just wondering. <smiles>

Andy.

This salary structuring also has me baffled. It would be nice if the gov't did away with it altogether, or if it is essential that it be kept in place, that they would structure it based on one's profession, rather than nationality.

I wouldn't mind working in LOS, but for 50K baht per month! I don't think so. Maybe if I was a school teacher that salary might be ok, but I believe these folks are exempt from the salary restrictions and are paid more on the line of 25-30K per month. Once again, not for me.

It seems the answer to my concern below is obvious. But, only having had a retirement Visa in the past (now expired), I would appreciate anyone who understands the salary requirements confirming.

I have recently been attending a class to teach English. My objective was to teach part-time (therefore making little money) in order to do something worthwhile and relieve some retitrement boredom. Since I would be making little money, please confirm, I would not meet the requirements for a Non-Immigrant B Visa. And, since one is not allowed to work at all on a retirement Visa, it seems there is no way for me to be able to teach part-time. Therefore, I would have to leave Thailand and go to Cambodia which does not have any salary requirements in order to teach part-time (or some other country). Thanks to anyone who can confirm the above.

From a recent report the "no work" provision of the retirement extension of stay may not be 100% true anymore. I would check with immigration.

I have a Work Permit and I am English but my salary is only 20,000 a month. How can this be. Can someone clarify please :-)

Thanks to sunbelt asia and the thaivisa guys for all the help!

I have work permit too and working in the hospital. my salary 24.000 per month. I am very confused with this information. that's mean they will cancel my working permit. Could someone please clarify for me, thank you....

I have a friend from the UK who works in Thailand. He asked his employer about the minimum salary requirement (because he earns less than that) and they explained to him that they have to pay income tax in his name on the minimum salary, even if he earns less than this.

Has anyone else been told this? It would seem to make sense as it implies that the rule is designed to maximise the tax revenues for the government, rather than as a minimum wage protection for foreign workers.

My head hurts. Or like my tilak says "You think too much!"

Mine says that too! Perhaps that's the secret to living in Thailand; "Don't think too much, just do it, and sort out the problems later, or pretend they don't exist".

Either way, attempting to impose rational, ordered structure on thai society is doomed to failure.

Just accept the rules, or pay who you have to to make them go away - simple!

It's either that, or you start to get through a lot of 'medicine' :o

I have a friend from the UK who works in Thailand. He asked his employer about the minimum salary requirement (because he earns less than that) and they explained to him that they have to pay income tax in his name on the minimum salary, even if he earns less than this.

Has anyone else been told this? It would seem to make sense as it implies that the rule is designed to maximise the tax revenues for the government, rather than as a minimum wage protection for foreign workers.

The differant government offices are not on the same page as far as salary is concerned. According to my experience the labor department wants me to show 30,000 baht per month to renew the work permit plus the 5 thai employees. I think they care more about the 5 thai employees than they do my income. The revenue department accepted the 30,000 baht for the first 3 years then required that i pay taxes on 35,000 baht. Of course this year they came in and said my building was too big and I had too many workers so i had to pay an extra 42,000 baht in taxes. It didn't matter what my invoices and receipts said. Immigration wants me as an american to show 60,000 baht per month. Of course it does not matter how much I actually make but i have to show tax receipts for the differant amounts that each differant group wants. The 35,000 per month only requires 1900 baht per month tax payment and moving up to 60,000 requires 6,750 baht per month payment. More than 3x's in tax payment. So your assumption of maximizing tax payments is correct. I would guess that 80% of the thai citizens pay no income taxes they have to maximize tax from foreigners to pay for the give away programs of tax+sin.

As far as the differance in salaries between countries concerned is I looked at it as the thai gov not wanting as many Americans here so they made a higher wage requirement. When my British friend heard about it his first reaction was that they thought Europeans were worht less money. Now they are bringing it down to europeans and americans are the same wage. By the way, I live better on 35,000 baht per month here in thailand than I did in the USA on $2,500 per month.

I was working out tax with a Thai friend of mine who just got a new job at pretty close to 50k. His tax every month is going to be less than 4k. At 20k or 24k (as the previous posters said) the tax would be negligible.

TAXABLE INCOME = assessable income - deductions - allowances

In the most basic calculation, where the person just deducts 60k (exempt) and 30k (individual allowance) then the taxable income is 600k - 90k = 510k and total tax for the year is 44,500 or 3,708/month. The employer pays the tax to the government every month (PAYE), and should then pay you the rest of the money (46,292). If they don't, then their books will still show that it was paid and the money can be offset against revenue or used for other 'off the book' expenses (ahem!)

I saw another post about a teacher who claimed his colleagues earning the same as him (substantially less than 50k) were driving BMWs etc. I'm beginning to understand why!