Ex Pat Statistics For Thailand

TallTravel

I have been reading these forums for a while, and see three groups of " imports " into Thailand more often than others. Well, at the English posts, at least! If the ex pats from Japan and China use their own forum, then my sense of the percentages is way off, eh?

Any stats about how many of the ex pats in Thailand are from each of the three countries?

I have been reading these forums for a while, and see three groups of " imports " into Thailand more often than others. Well, at the English posts, at least! If the ex pats from Japan and China use their own forum, then my sense of the percentages is way off, eh?

Any stats about how many of the ex pats in Thailand are from each of the three countries?

Maybe you could start something on the lines of a poll, where posters could paste their nationality?

Could be interesting for all on TV, though language may be a barrier for Japanese, Chinese, Korean readers?

This might give some idea of which "nationalities" are most active on TV if nothing else.

I'm American, however I haven't met a great number of fellow Americans over here. Most of the farang expats I know are from the UK. After the UK, most I know are from Oz. I've met a few Canadians as well, but like Americans they seem to be in the minority. Having said that I have to say that folks I've met from the UK seem to be well traveled; many having visited or lived in quite a few countries whereas most Americans don't travel abroad. I wish more Americans would travel abroad; the experience is definitely worth the ticket price.

Edited by Thaiboxer

I'm American, however I haven't met a great number of fellow Americans over here.

i'm a bloody german and it seems that bloody germans have flooded Thailand since many years.

And I see a lot Austrian (Australia minus Cangaroo=Austria), considering how small Austria is, it must be already a big part of the population....

Well we are used to send our biggest idiots in other countries....

I don't think it would be possible to get very accurate statistics on Americans in Thailand. Ever since I began visiting Thailand, before I moved here, I have believed that an accurate census of Americans living in Thailand would solve many of the MIAs from the Vietnam war. Less and less as time goes on, of course, as those guys are getting older now. Nevertheless, I am still convinced that more than a few GIs simply decided to stay here and they are still here.

I'm American, however I haven't met a great number of fellow Americans over here.

i'm a bloody german and it seems that bloody germans have flooded Thailand since many years.

And I see a lot Austrian (Australia minus Cangaroo=Austria), considering how small Austria is, it must be already a big part of the population....

Where do you live? :o

:D :D :o

I don't think it would be possible to get very accurate statistics on Americans in Thailand. Ever since I began visiting Thailand, before I moved here, I have believed that an accurate census of Americans living in Thailand would solve many of the MIAs from the Vietnam war. Less and less as time goes on, of course, as those guys are getting older now. Nevertheless, I am still convinced that more than a few GIs simply decided to stay here and they are still here.

There are indeed, Lanny. There are also still a couple of Korean POW's hovering too.

Most of them (depending on situations) would either have been (mass) pardoned or have had the statutes of limitations lifted by now, but nonetheless, I for one respect their desire/need for privacy.

I stumbled upon a Thai gov website a few weeks ago that had a breakdown of visas applied for, visas granted or refused and listed these figures by region rather than nationality. I think the last records were from 2004.

I didn't save the site. Maybe someone else knows it

Yes, but Johann Strauss you kept :o

Australia minus Cangaroo=Austria
and the capital city of Austria is:

SYDNEY. :D

Well, if no one is going to start a poll, I'll give it a shot.

If you've read this far, please go to the poll and cast your identifying vote.

Can't see what a poll will tell you to answer the OP's question.

I have been reading these forums for a while, and see three groups of " imports " into Thailand more often than others.

Contrary to what a recent banner ad on TV said, it really doesn't ''reach the entire expat community'' (or whatever it said), only a (very) small part of it. The (Thai government's) figures for nationalities living in Thailand (the legal ones) and tourists are readily available online.

Here's something I found, not about expats, but some might find it interesting:

"In terms of the nationalities of tourist arrivals in Thailand, Asians from Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan, China, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea take the top spots. From the West, visitors from the United Kingdom and the United States of America arrive in almost equal numbers while those from Germany and Scandinavia are the next most populous groups."

Edited by tropo

The Austrians are very clever people... they convinced the world Ludwig vanB. was Austrian and Schickelgruber was a German :o

And the capital city of Australia is:

(1) Sydney (2) Wien (3) Canberra

Edited by Old Croc

And the capital city of Australia is:

(1) Sydney (2) Wien (3) Canberra

The capital of Australia is MELBOURNE! If you don't believe me just ask anyone from Melbourne. A resident of Melbourne told me that they don't discriminate. They hate Brits, Americans and the rest of the Aussies equally.

I'm American, however I haven't met a great number of fellow Americans over here. Most of the farang expats I know are from the UK. After the UK, most I know are from Oz. I've met a few Canadians as well, but like Americans they seem to be in the minority. Having said that I have to say that folks I've met from the UK seem to be well traveled; many having visited or lived in quite a few countries whereas most Americans don't travel abroad. I wish more Americans would travel abroad; the experience is definitely worth the ticket price.

I don't really disagree with you, but as an example, my company has about 80 expats working in Thailand. 80% are Americans. Rest are Brits and Aussies, with a sprinking of SEA nationals. We are of course an American company. For probably half the Americans this is first overseas assignment while the everyone else has been working overseas for some time.

I know of a UK company (though offically an American one) that I don't believe has any Americans working in Thailand, they are almost all Brits.

TH

The Austrians are very clever people... they convinced the world Ludwig vanB. was Austrian and Schickelgruber was a German :o

Yes... they are clever. They said Adolf Hitler is German. Germans said Adolf hitler is born in Austria, hence Austrian...

:D:D

Edited by roguegirl

I blundered accross some interesting Expat stats on this subject the other day.

The number of expatriates in Bangkok holding work permits, as of May 2006, rose by 16.1% from the level recorded in May 2005. The largest share of the total number of expatriates in Bangkok is Japanese, accounting for 22%, as there is a large number of Japanese companies currently operating in Thailand. This group is followed by expatriates from India, China, Great Britain and the United States of America.

I'll see if I can find the number of workpermits for 2005 :o