Video: "Yes Mate!" Taxi driver picks wrong person to threaten with a knife

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another illustration of the woeful inadequacy of the law in Thailand. But I tend to look at things also the other way round. Given the state of the police and judicial system, I think it is a tribute to the Thai people that you can move around Bangkok and most of the rest of the country relatively safely, as I have been doing for the last 40 years. Go try that in some other places...

100baht or 10,000baht.1 day jail or 10 years jail. what's the difference!

when  the human animal gets very angry, his animal part takes charge and he will stab,shoot, chop, smack,kick, bomb to cause pain or even kill and he will use anything from a needle to a B1 bomber..he just won't care.

it's the violent behavior  in our DNAs and it's not any different than that of chimps, gorillas and baboons...

some cultures seem to be more violent than others due to social and cultural differences and possibly the climate.

Edited by pattayadude

4 hours ago, nausea said:

Well that explains the prevalence of knife crime in Thailand, try carrying a knife in the UK and see what happens.

This is what happens in the UK:-

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You'll get a prison sentence if you're convicted of carrying a knife more than once.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Yanyong said they could only fine him 100 baht for having a knife but would charge him with menacing that carries a month in jail and/or a 1,000 baht fine, reported Daily News later yesterday.

Nah, 500 baht and send him to the monk-hood, same same all round Thailand

12 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

This is what happens in the UK:-

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying knife is 4 years in prison and an unlimited fine. You'll get a prison sentence if you're convicted of carrying a knife more than once.

But in the UK there's a bigger chance they're not more afraid to use it than you that they might. 

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Is that also true for a foreigner, a 100B fine? I wanted to carry pepper spray to threaten attackers but that is outlawed. Threatening with a knife is much less serious.

Lol.... just avoid taxi drivers and you'll be right.

51 minutes ago, Rayinbkk said:

I think it is a tribute to the Thai people that you can move around Bangkok and most of the rest of the country relatively safely, as I have been doing for the last 40 years. Go try that in some other places...

Even in the most dangerous countries in the world, the odds of getting murdered in a given year are one in a thousand, and most are less than one in 10,000.  

By world averages, a person would still have less than a 0.5% chance of being murdered over 40 years.  In the most dangerous countries (outside of war zones), that risk is about 4% over 40 years.

Just because you think it's safer, doesn't mean it is.

4 hours ago, Benmart said:

If there were a functioning emergency call center and a functioning police force, the culprit would have been pounced upon and arrested post haste. Sadly, neither aforementioned entities seem to exist here.

Actually, if it was where I think it was there are almost always cops nearby looking for tickets in the construction zone. 

More than one person has remarked on only a 100 baht fine, though "a month in jail and/or a 1,000 baht fine, reported Daily News later yesterday." is what I read, and no indication of an edit.
Still not a very onerous amount, but ten times the commented 100 baht which more than one person remarked on.

What gives? Was the OP edited without notification?

The headline is opposite the facts in the story;
"Video: "Yes Mate!" Taxi driver picks wrong person to threaten with a knife."
"Yes Mate" was the one being threatened according to the text.
Not an unusual sort of problem with Thai>English translations.
Anybody have a guess why? Most  languages with which I am familiar do not seem to have this difficulty.
Is it because the tonalities are not well represented in written text? E.g. "khao", which can mean five completely different things, I understand, depending on rising tone, vs. falling tone, etc.

something almost happened, exciting and important, with the Occupy movement which reached Thailand, true democracy for the first time,  now trivial distractions to keep  the poor poor forever, won't work, the world wide  rightist fear- based  push against globalization will also b e swept away by events, necessary development

Well that's a hell of a fine.  My wife just did a bit of shopping and it came to 1,200 Baht.  I can see the Taxi driver paying that off over a couple of years. 

On the more serious side, Thailand really does need to enforce the law more before there is complete chaos.  This guy won't be the last to pull a stunt like that.  Respect for Government and it's laws, no matter what country you are in, is essential to maintain stability.  It is clear that the Government here is trying to apply pressure on society to conform, but with it's unique culture and the economic environment that exists here it's not an easy task.  Gently gently, slowly slowly.  Just the stress of making enough to pay expenses as an ordinary worker would send anyone over the edge.  Buying a 3 million Baht Baan, paying off a new pickup and motor scooter, sending the kids to school and paying utility bills on a salary of around 20,000 Baht, would be enough to put me under.  I refer back to the wife's shopping costs at the locally owned and operated Supermarket, and there wasn't much at all in the shopping trolly.  Normally she relies heavily on the local markets to keep costs down.  I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see much more crime of all sorts not too far down the track.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect if a farang were found threatening someone with a knife, the penalty would be somewhat higher than 100 Baht. Ludicrously small fine. When was that Act and the penalties last updated, 1870?

According to the news article, the fine of 100 Baht is "for having a knife", whereas "menacing " is a crime for which the law stipulates "a month in jail and/or a 1,000 baht fine" and a judge will decide on the penalty within that range.

11 hours ago, forqalso said:

Doesn't it say 100 baht fine for having the knife and the penalty for threatening with the knife is 1000 baht and/or a month in lock up?

Yes it does. But that's not the point. Carrying a weapon indicates intent, whether it is used to threaten or not.

12 hours ago, Benmart said:

The utterance of words, directed towards or about some special classes, will result in a harsher sentence than assault with a deadly weapon. Yes, Amazing Thailand.

What gave you that impression? Can you cite the relevant sections of the Criminal Code B.E. 2499?

Edited by Puccini

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Doesn't it say 100 baht fine for having the knife and the penalty for threatening with the knife is 1000 baht and/or a month in lock up?

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes it does. But that's not the point. Carrying a weapon indicates intent, whether it is used to threaten or not.

7 minutes ago, forqalso said:

No, it doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrying a weapon, purely for ones own defence, mainly an American habit of course, may be excused, although, I as a Brit, wholly disapprove.

But this is clearly not the case here. To pull out a weapon in a public place and make threatening gestures indicate intent. And that would not happen if he did not have in his possession.

What other reason could be for his actions?

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Carrying a weapon, purely for ones own defence, mainly an American habit of course, may be excused, although, I as a Brit, wholly disapprove.

But this is clearly not the case here. To pull out a weapon in a public place and make threatening gestures indicate intent. And that would not happen if he did not have in his possession.

What other reason could be for his actions?

First you say that carrying a weapon indicates intent, then you say making threatening gestures indicates indent.  So, is that two counts of intent or one count of possession of the knife and one count of threatening with the knife, like how he really was charged.