Beer garden Soi 7 demolished ??

legsarelittle

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

For real?  Been rumours about this place closing for years but if it turns out that this really is the end, it's the end of an era.  I quite liked the ambience there.  OK, it was downmarket and full of working girls who may have been beyond the peak of their powers but there was a very welcoming vibe where everyone was welcome and no one was hassled.  Be a real shame if this really is the end.

was in there a few months back and to one side had been bull dozed so i thought then it only a matter of time.

50 minutes ago, rott said:

You will probably be happy when Sukhumvit is a cross between Warrington New Townand the less interesting parts of Singapore. Slum my a...

Ohh no, don't get me wrong I love a bit of From Dusk to Dawn style chaos and slum, with a Thai twist. I was just indication it will take much longer than a couple of years before there is any visible change in soi 4 or 3 and 5 for that matter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

I walked past there 1 hour ago and beer garden still there BUT both sides of the soi are now completely fenced by aluminum fencing right up till the beer garden

Yes you are right, on the western side they have now fenced it in once you get up a bit from Sukhumvit, up to Beer Garden. That's a nice piece of land there.

15 hours ago, legsarelittle said:

i think everyone that went there 'fitted in'in their own way, is always entertaining to say the least, 

It is/was handy as it isn't too loud if you have something to talk about over a beer or two, maybe with a snack, it can be a good venue. And you can smoke!

Not expensive, and the girls, well some past the "best before" date but never a problem.

I'll be sad if it has gone.

I don't miss the alleyway bars, but there is now a sad lack of reasonably priced "no frills" bars in the lower Sukhumvit area of Bangkok.

:burp:

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

Yes! Another shopping mall. But I think the area on the opposite side of the street is not big enough for a shopping mall. Can they combine both sides of the street?

If that is true it just shows how myopic the developers are, unless this is hiding more "unusual wealth" for a few Hi-So and such. I expect the Malls new designer brand shops will be packed out with Chinese billionaires like all the others...

Mid range tourist are going to find Singapore cheaper soon.

• Like 2

I used to own (lease) the bar in the Park hotel on Soi 7. We called it the Topaz Room. We had a great dance floor and, for some years, a great quartet of musicians/singers. We were one of only about four bars in Bangkok that did not have bar girls and was popular among expat married couples. Does the Park Hotel still exist? 

10 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Yes! Another shopping mall. But I think the area on the opposite side of the street is not big enough for a shopping mall. Can they combine both sides of the street?

Does a Beer Garden gal ask for money for "companionship"?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, the Arabs have taken over Sois 3, 3/1 and 5 and are probably preparing a takeover of Soi 7 as well. There's plenty of room on the Eastern side (where the multiple restaurants used to be) for another trashy little mall selling flashy shoes, glinty fake jewelry and similar bling, IMHO. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Namrevlis said:

I used to own (lease) the bar in the Park hotel on Soi 7. We called it the Topaz Room. We had a great dance floor and, for some years, a great quartet of musicians/singers. We were one of only about four bars in Bangkok that did not have bar girls and was popular among expat married couples. Does the Park Hotel still exist? 

Does a Beer Garden gal ask for money for "companionship"?

The Park Hotel is alive and well including the VW Combi mobile bar parked out front most nights, but I can't speak for the Topaz Room.

21 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What happen to the ThaiVisa bar, also in soi 7?

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That had been closed for a long time. Haven't noticed the status of the actual building lately.

Shut down long ago and building gone now too for quite a few months already.

22 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

That whole soi up to the beer garden on both sides is demolished, only makes sense to knock down the beer garden to make way for what i heard is a Mall and condo

Oh goody, another mall. Just what Bkk needs.

If not now, sure to be demolished later.
In this dreadful, greedy world we live in, "fun" doesn't pay enough for the 1%, so it's all got to go.
I feel sorry for the children that will inherit the horrid world of the future.

20 hours ago, Bantex said:

The whole block where Cheap Charlie's on Soi 11 was scheduled to be demolished to make way for mall & condo very soon as all property leases were due to expire around this time.

Could someone have misheard the Soi number wrong ? (7 & 11)

Is that the soi Honey Hotel is on? They told me that it is closing end of the year.

Sad day when that's gone. Thailand is allowing it's history to be destroyed and doesn't give a monkey's.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is that the soi Honey Hotel is on? They told me that it is closing end of the year.

Sad day when that's gone. Thailand is allowing it's history to be destroyed and doesn't give a monkey's.

Honey Hotel...Soi 19, but yes 31Dec is latest closing date. Got a 3 month reprieve from the original 30 September date. :sad:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Honey Hotel...Soi 19, but yes 31Dec is latest closing date. Got a 3 month reprieve from the original 30 September date. :sad:

One of the last of the Vietnam era and with a great pool.  Reputedly known as the "Horney Hotel". Fondly remember staying there over a month on my first trip.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

One of the last of the Vietnam era and with a great pool.  Reputedly known as the "Horney Hotel". Fondly remember staying there over a month on my first trip.

Fondly remember staying there many dozens of times and hundreds of nights, including my second visit to Thailand in 1992...and as recently as last month! Even tho we live in BKK, we go every other month for a week to hang at the pool and give the GF a break from the kitchen. :vampire: Excellent Thai food served up there too! Gonna mightily miss the old place. :sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Fondly remember staying there many dozens of times and hundreds of nights, including my second visit to Thailand in 1992...and as recently as last month! Even tho we live in BKK, we go every other month for a week to hang at the pool and give the GF a break from the kitchen. :vampire: Excellent Thai food served up there too! Gonna mightily miss the old place. :sad:

Wish I could have stayed there when GIs on RnR were in Bkk. Cowboy must have been jumping.

If you are sitting in Zee Biergarten scratching your ar*e and looking at your emails, for crying out loud, take a photo and put us out of our misery.  We love that place.  Food wise, my vote is for number 31 Hamburgers, green beans and mash.

17 minutes ago, Blue bruce said:

First Bangkok Beat, Now the beer garden. where is there left to go ?????

Nana Hotel, Park Hotel and Amari have toilets they will probably let you use without complaint and no charge. Also, there's (or was) a pay toilet buried in the Soi 5 shopping complex. :biggrin:

Edited by MaxYakov