Taxi driver enjoys windfall from Thai woman arriving from Norway

webfact

Taxi driver enjoys windfall from Thai woman arriving from Norway

3.jpg

Picture: Manager

BANGKOK: -- A Thai woman who had arrived back from Norway didn't have enough local money to pay for the taxi to a Bangkok hotel.

The fare from Suvarnabhumi to the SD Hotel in Pin Klao was 343 baht and she only had 200 baht in Thai notes.

So she asked the driver if he could accept Norwegian kroner. He agreed.

She handed over 500 kroner saying it was worth about 400 baht.

But when driver Thanakorn Thonbutdee went to exchange the note he got a pleasant surprise.

He got 2,136 baht for the journey.

Thanakorn said on his Facebook page that he had been willing to just accept 200 baht but the lady didn't want him to be out of pocket so he accepted the foreign money having no idea himself of its value, reported Manager online.

One Norwegian krone is worth about 4.25 at today's rates.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-05

I'm surprised there wasn't a photo of him returning the note to her saying he couldn't accept it as it was too much, as he later found out, but I suppose as he offered to accept her 200 baht in lieu of the 343 baht fare, she just through 2,136 baht in his face for being a good sport.

Another BS taxi driver story, finders keepers oy, as there is no Thai woman from Sweden to back his story !

45 minutes ago, idman said:

So this Thai lady returning from Norway did not know the value of a Kroner???? How long was there, a few <deleted> hours. More holes in this story than in Swiss cheese.

She was being generous...not dumb....:partytime2:

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

She said that the 500 note was worth 400 Baht and it turns out to be worth 2000 Baht, five times more then what she thought that it was worth which suggests that she mistook the 500 note for a 100 note 

100-krone-note-norway.jpg

That's the most plausible explanation.

But all the possibilities must be examined in detail.  TITV.

The woman didnt bother exchanging for some baht in the airport and maybe she was confused. And no SuperRich nearby. Maybe she felt ok because the same distance as Suvarnabhumi to Pinklao would be more than $70 in a taxi in Norway anyway..  So maybe she thought what the heck it's the Land of Smiles , I'll give my driver some extra baht. Not what I would have done but to each their own. Half that amount would be enough to Pinklao including tip. Feel good story all around. :) ..and she got there without being robbed or losing luggage

Edited by Essecola

2 hours ago, idman said:

So this Thai lady returning from Norway did not know the value of a Kroner???? How long was there, a few <deleted> hours. More holes in this story than in Swiss cheese.

Yeah, lets just find the bad in a nice story.

Have a happy day full of sunshine.

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I'm surprised there wasn't a photo of him returning the note to her saying he couldn't accept it as it was too much, as he later found out, but I suppose as he offered to accept her 200 baht in lieu of the 343 baht fare, she just through 2,136 baht in his face for being a good sport.

Another BS taxi driver story, finders keepers oy, as there is no Thai woman from Sweden to back his story !

but their might be from Norway

35 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Maybe she said one K = 4 B and the note is clearly marked 500?W T FUSS 4??

The taxi driver probably misunderstood. From "four times the value" to 400 bath is a plausible explanation.

I have not yet seen a thai lady not being able to spot the difference between 100 and 500 on a money note. They have a born 6th sense about that.

And how could she not know the value of kroner, entering from the country..

Edited by thaibreaker

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

She said that the 500 note was worth 400 Baht and it turns out to be worth 2000 Baht, five times more then what she thought that it was worth which suggests that she mistook the 500 note for a 100 note 

Damnit Sanmax.... that's just to logical.

On 9/5/2017 at 11:40 AM, idman said:

My wife would have known its value to the last baht....regardless of where she had been 55.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:55 PM, sanemax said:

I was thinking the same. Also, a long flight can be very tiring, that makes some people do silly mistakes.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:55 PM, sanemax said:

No. She didn't mistake 500 note to a 100 note, because when the nice man at the money exchange at the Suwarnabhumi airport changed her 250 Kroner and gave her only 200 baht, she figured 500 Kroner is 400 baht and would easily cover the 343 baht fare!:cheesy:

Edited by pattayadude

On 9/5/2017 at 0:40 PM, idman said:

or she didnt care. 

what does it matter either way.