Pharmacist knew what teens were up to - takes abuse for not giving Tramadol

webfact

Pharmacist knew what teens were up to - takes abuse for not giving Tramadol

5a.jpg

Picture: Manager

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- A pharmacist in Ubon went on Facebook to say what she did when she suspected teens who came into her shop were trying to get the restricted painkiller Tramadol.

Manager reported that Chonchanok Chaweewong was in her shop when a girl rushed in with a fellow male teen in tow clutching his stomach in apparent dire pain.

"Give me three lots of that green and yellow painkiller quick", the girl urged the pharmacist clearly referring to Tramadol.

Smelling a rat, and unable according to the law to comply with her request anyhow, she grabbed an alternative - a strip of yellow medicine and one of green.

The male teen seemed to recover quickly. He banged the medicine down on the counter and grabbed the change hurling a stream of abuse at the pharmacist before hurriedly leaving.

Tramadol is increasingly controlled in Thailand where it is used by some as a narcotic drug.

Manager did not explain and neither did the pharmacist on Facebook what exactly she gave the teens in this case.

A variety of side effects are associated with Tramadol use that can even lead to death, reported Manager.

Source: Manager

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-09-05

Tramadol is an unusual pain medication, I took a lot of it for a period when prescribed by a doctor for a condition I had that caused serious pain.  It works but can't describe the drowsy state as something that a person would want.  If on it long enough, it begins to have an opposite effect which is unable to sleep, like severe insomnia.  Bad synthetic substitute to codeine!

2 hours ago, globin said:

Regulation and continuing pure propaganda to justify the 100% increase in tariff to patients legitimately requiring this medicine.

A friend of mine who suffers acute back pain after breaking his back was initially given Tramadol but then his doctor put him on Morphine Sulphate tablets instead as he said they were much safer than Tramadol. That says it all I think!

3 hours ago, globin said:

Regulation and continuing pure propaganda to justify the 100% increase in tariff to patients legitimately requiring this medicine.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

As drugs go, It's not expensive, so that argument crashes and burns.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Not again... is this gonna be one of these threads where self-proclaimed experts and health professionals come here to explain and warn everyone that Tramadol is a dangerous and extremely addictive drug, and that anybody who's using it must be an addict without realizing it? And nobody can possibly be using it for chronic pain, because "I know a doctor and he told me so"? And there will be 10 pages of great "substitutes", from ice to aspirine....we've seen/read it all, more than once. 

I hope not....

4 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Tramadol is an unusual pain medication, I took a lot of it for a period when prescribed by a doctor for a condition I had that caused serious pain.  It works but can't describe the drowsy state as something that a person would want.  If on it long enough, it begins to have an opposite effect which is unable to sleep, like severe insomnia.  Bad synthetic substitute to codeine!

"I took a lot of it for a period" Freudian slip? 

21 minutes ago, Doctorbu said:

It's really not all that strong and should be available to those who need it.  All it takes is a few idiots to abuse ANY drug and then the majority suffer. 

I agree with what you say, and the most absurd example of this that I know of has got to be when they banned the sale and consumption (ahem - officially!) of alcohol on trains following the rape and murder of a young girl by a rail employee who was either drunk or on drugs (or both) at the time. 

Rather than take the blame for employing such an unsuitable person without any background checks as to his suitability for the job, punish ALL the passengers!!!

8 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

Not sure how can sell with without prescription. Should be banned from shelves, should be given only in hospitals with prescription.

This country is going crazy with anti-biotics use on humans and chickens.

Come on you should know by now this is Thailand and the rules are only a guideline and only followed if they feel like it.   I 

10 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

As drugs go, It's not expensive, so that argument crashes and burns.

relatively ,it is compared to hwat it costs to make it 

i used to buy 1000 of them in a pack for 300 thb 

now theyre at least triple that price and often more because the restrictions only push prices up because more  police have to be paid to look the other way 

14 hours ago, globin said:

I'll tell my doctor niece it's pure propaganda and then she won't have to worry about treating all those who make their way into her A&E department to be treated. The problems of the thrill seeking young eh, what can you do ? Except that's not the case in the UK. It's normally old farts who like to swallow a handful with their booze and when recovered react indignantly to being told they have an addiction problem.

I have been using Tramadol for years. My doc used to write a prescription for 90 tabs at a time... one month supply if you use the max dosage.That bottle lasted nearly six months, as I use it when really needed.
I have never experienced any kind of "high" from it. Probably have to swallow a boar load to get that. For me the "high" is the pain stopping.
My doctor told me it was a good painkiller, and not much chance of getting habituated. The instructions are to take one or two 50 mg. tablets every six hours "AS NEEDED FOR PAIN".  That has been my experience.
Too bad idiots are abusing it as that will make it more difficult to obtain for those who need a good analgesic.
I get mine now at the hospital, and since I need to go often for a variety of "old man" issues it is not much inconvenience if they limit me to twenty tabs at a time.
I guess because I might not take any for a week or so at a time I do not develop a resistance to it. If a paracetamol will do the job that is what I will use, saving the "good stuff" for the worst pain.

Edited by Bill Miller

It is an odd situation to one accustomed to US regulations. There it is a schedule IV controlled substance, which means it is only available by prescription, but may be refilled up to five times in a six month period after the initial prescription, in other words they want your usage to be monitored somewhat.
Here it is "limited", but I am not sure just what that means. Many "pharmacies" are really just for OTC and cosmetics, it seems. Ask for actual medicine and "Oh, we no have". Some places I was told "We don't have that, but we have Ultracet", which is a combination of Tramadol and Paracetamol, which is fine and actually works better for some types of pain, so I started asking for that, Some pharmacies do not have that, but they do have Tramadol which they will sell OTC.
In both cases it is the outlets that have an actual pharmacist on duty.
I now get Tramadol at my Provincial hospital because they always have it and it is much cheaper.

Edited by Bill Miller

On 9/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, paulbj2 said:

A friend of mine who suffers acute back pain after breaking his back was initially given Tramadol but then his doctor put him on Morphine Sulphate tablets instead as he said they were much safer than Tramadol. That says it all I think!

The mig mo is safer than tramadol?  Who is zooming who ?  Whay a sbsurd thing to repete,  why  would you talk such nonsense ? Low wattage bulb i sispect...... 

On 9/5/2017 at 6:48 PM, shaurene said:

Look Tramadol up on Google side affects. I think they banned it in Australia and New Zealand.

in Australia I was on 400 mg of tramadol SR a day for quite a few years, it enabled me to get around and do things  without pain. Eventually though I got sick of the state I was in day in day out and weened myself off them with the doctors help, took quite a long time but these days I no longer take it, I suffer a great deal of pain but at least I am not a walking zombie anymore. All those that havent taken this long term and in high amounts have no idea at all, one chemist tried to tell me the combination of meds I was on would kill me, guess my body wasnt aware of that after well over 10 years, many people simply have no clue at all, experience is the only one that really matters.