Trump ends 'Dreamer' immigration programme, places onus on Congress

webfact

Trump ends 'Dreamer' immigration programme, places onus on Congress

By Steve Holland and Yeganeh Torbati

tag-reuters.jpg

Protestors gather outside the Trump Hotel to protest President Donald Trump's plan to repeal DACA in Washington, U.S., September 5, 2017. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Tuesday scrapped an Obama-era programme that protects from deportation immigrants brought illegally into the United States as children, delaying implementation until March and giving a gridlocked Congress six months to decide the fate of almost 800,000 young people.

As the so-called Dreamers who have benefited from the five-year-old programme were plunged into uncertainty, business and religious leaders, mayors, governors, Democratic lawmakers, unions, civil liberties advocates and former Democratic President Barack Obama all condemned Trump's move.

The action was announced not by Trump but by Jeff Sessions, his attorney general, who called the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) programme an unconstitutional overreach by Obama. There will be an "orderly, lawful wind-down," Sessions said.

Trump later issued a written statement saying that "I do not favour punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents. But we must also recognise that we are (a) nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws."

He denounced Obama's programme as an "amnesty-first approach" toward illegal immigrants and pressed his nationalist "America First" message, saying that despite concerns voiced by his critics about the fate of the Dreamers, "Above all else, we must remember that young Americans have dreams too."

Obama issued his own statement calling Trump's action a political decision, defending DACA's legality and urging Congress to protect Dreamers.

"This is about young people who grew up in America - kids who study in our schools, young adults who are starting careers, patriots who pledge allegiance to our flag. These Dreamers are Americans in their hearts, in their minds, in every single way but one: on paper," Obama said.

The Trump administration said nobody covered by the programme, which provided work permits in addition to deportation protection and primarily benefits Hispanics, would be affected before March 5. Most people covered by DACA are in their 20s.

Trump shifted responsibility to a Congress controlled by his fellow Republicans and said it was now up to lawmakers to pass immigration legislation that could address the fate of those protected by DACA who would be in danger of deportation.

Neither Trump nor Sessions offered details of the type of legislation they would want to see, and Trump's spokeswoman offered only a broad outline.

"I have a love for these people (DACA recipients), and hopefully now Congress will be able to help them and do it properly," Trump later told reporters at the White House, adding, "I think it's going to work out very well."

Since Trump took office in January, Congress has been unable to pass any major legislation, most notably failing on a healthcare overhaul, and lawmakers have been bitterly divided over immigration in the past.

"President Trump's decision to end DACA is a deeply shameful act of political cowardice and a despicable assault on innocent young people in communities across America," said Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in the House of Representatives.

The Democratic attorney general of Massachusetts, Maura Healey, said a coalition of states planned to file suit in the coming days to defend DACA, and one advocacy group announced its own legal action.

"This is a sad day for our country," added Facebook Inc <FB.O> founder Mark Zuckerberg. "The decision to end DACA is not just wrong. It is particularly cruel to offer young people the American Dream, encourage them to come out of the shadows and trust our government, and then punish them for it."

Brad Smith, president of Microsoft Corp <MSFT.O>, urged Congress to "put the humanitarian needs of these 800,000 people on the legislative calendar" before tax-cut legislation sought by Trump.

Nearly 800,000 people stepped forward, admitted their illegal immigrant status and provided personal information to the government to apply for the DACA programme. They now face the prospect of being deported starting in March. Dreamers are a fraction of the roughly 11 million illegal immigrants in the United States.

"The cancellation of the DACA programme is reprehensible," the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a statement.

But White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said, "It's not cold hearted for the president to uphold the law."

Trump said DACA recipients will not be deportation priorities unless they are criminals or gang members.

Ending DACA was the latest action by Trump sure to alienate Hispanic Americans, a growing segment of the U.S. population and an increasingly important voting bloc. Most of the immigrants protected by DACA came from Mexico and other Latin American countries.

The Mexican government said it "profoundly laments" Trump's decision to end DACA and pledged to strengthen efforts to guarantee consular protections for affected Mexican citizens.

THREAT OF SUITS

The Homeland Security Department will provide a limited window - until Oct. 5 - for some DACA recipients whose work permits expire before March 5 to apply to renew those permits. In addition, the department will adjudicate any new DACA requests, or renewal requests, accepted as of Sept. 5. This would mean that some beneficiaries of DACA could work legally in the country through 2019.

The administration said the president's decision was prompted in part by a threat from several Republican state attorneys general, led by Texas, to file legal challenges in federal court if Trump did not act to end DACA. Late on Tuesday Texas state Attorney General Ken Paxton said he withdrew the 10-state suit after Trump's decision.

House Speaker Paul Ryan called on lawmakers to find a long-term solution for the young people affected by the reversal of the programme. Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Congress "will continue working on securing our border and ensuring a lawful system of immigration that works."

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham said there could be a winning formula by coupling legislation to provide legal status for Dreamers with additional border security measures, although he said support is lacking in Congress for Trump's proposed border wall.

Trump made a crackdown on illegal immigrants a centrepiece of his 2016 election campaign, promising to deport every illegal immigrant.

The decision to end DACA is the latest action by Trump to erase key parts of his Democratic predecessor's legacy.

This includes pulling the United States out of the Paris climate accord, abandoning a 12-nation Pacific trade deal, seeking to dismantle the Obamacare healthcare law, rolling back environmental protections, reversing parts of Obama's opening to Cuba and removing protections for transgender people.

(Reporting by Steve Holland and Yeganeh Torbati; Additional reporting by Richard Cowan, Doina Chiacu, Mica Rosenberg, Makini Brice, Tim Ahmann, Lawrence Hurley, Jonathan Allen, Sarah N. Lynch, Dustin Volz and David Alexander; Writing by Will Dunham and Dustin Volz; Editing by Frances Kerry and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-09-06

• Replies 130
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the most cruel and gutless decisions in US history.

Trump said, "I do not favour punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents. But we must also recognize that we are (a) nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws", but did not even have the courage to stand up and speak the words himself. Coward!

I have said it before and (unfortunately) it needs to be said again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything he touches.

Great news! Trump the only POTUS to make good on his campaign promises. MAGA

Now congress HAS to get off their asses and has 6 months to get immigration laws passed. What a concept, they actually have to go to work now.

Let's hope we have Trump in for 8 years!

44 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This is one of the most cruel and gutless decisions in US history.

Trump said, "I do not favour punishing children, most of whom are now adults, for the actions of their parents. But we must also recognize that we are (a) nation of opportunity because we are a nation of laws", but did not even have the courage to stand up and speak the words himself. Coward!

I have said it before and (unfortunately) it needs to be said again;

Donald Trump is an ever-expanding cloud of toxic waste that defiles everything he touches.

Interesting POV,  but I would counter that to follow the rule of law is of paramount importance. Once you start saying, well it's OK for this type of person to break the law but not for this type of person I'm afraid much bigger problems will arise.

Obama started this program of admitting unscreened illegals into the USA as quite simply a vote generator, he let in millions that he considered would be future democrat voters, and now we must deal with the fallout from this weakness and vanity.

Edited by FreddieRoyle
    spelling

Interesting POV,  but I would counter that to follow the rule of law is of paramount importance. Once you start saying, well it's OK for this type of person to break the law but not for this type of person I'm afraid much bigger problems will arise.

Obama started this program of admitting unscreened illegals into the USA as quite simply a vote generator, he let in millions that he considered would be future democrat voters, and now we must deal with the fallout from this weakness and vanity.

Excellent post. You can't go making your own laws from the White House. It would've been overturned in the courts anyway. Saved a few bucks on the lawyers.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Obama started this program as quite simply a vote generator, he let in millions that he considered would be future democrat voters, and now we must deal with the fallout from this weakness and vanity.

I do not think it matters if Obama started this to win votes or if he thought it was the right thing to do. What matters is that people brought to America as kids, a decision in which they had no say, ( and given the laws on age of criminal responsibility didn't commit a crime by doing so),were offered the chance to come out of the woodwork on a road to being legal. Those who did have shown a respect for the law and in so doing are quite possibly better and more honest citizens than many native born. To pull the carpet from under them is a really low and reprehensible thing to do. Those young adults TRUSTED the Government, who now wants to use their honesty and desire to abide by the law as the tool to send them to a country they don't know, may well not speak the language of, and quite possibly have no friends or relatives.That is a very shitty and narrow minded, evil thing to do.

Edited by darksidedog

I do not think it matters if Obama started this to win votes or if he thought it was the right thing to do. What matters is that people brought to America as kids, a decision in which they had no say, ( and given the laws on age of criminal responsibility didn't commit a crime by doing so),were offered the chance to come out of the woodwork on a road to being legal. Those who did have shown a respect for the law and in so doing are quite possibly better and more honest citizens than many native born. To pull the carpet from under them is a really low and reprehensible thing to do. Those young adults TRUSTED the Government, who now wants to use their honesty and desire to abide by the law as the tool to send them to a country they don't know, may well not speak the language of, and quite possibly have no friends or relatives.That is a very shitty and narrow minded, evil thing to do.

Blame Obama. He's the one that circumvented congress. If he did it the right way, then there would be no issue.

Just now, daboyz1 said:

Blame Obama. He's the one that circumvented congress. If he did it the right way, then there would be no issue.

I have absolutely no interest in the blame game. That is half of what is wrong in America, that people are too quick to point the finger and too slow to do what is morally right. How this came about is of far less importance than the correct, fair and decent solution being found.

Statement from President Donald J. Trump

"As President, my highest duty is to defend the American people and the Constitution of the United States of America..."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/09/05/statement-president-donald-j-trump

Shouldn't be any question that the American people come first before others that need to go through the proper channels to become citizens.

I have absolutely no interest in the blame game. That is half of what is wrong in America, that people are too quick to point the finger and too slow to do what is morally right. How this came about is of far less importance than the correct, fair and decent solution being found.

Like I said, more than half the states sued the federal government over this and they would've won. Obama exceeded his authority. Simple as that.

Personally I think this dream act will just encourage more illegal immigration and this has already been proven. When it was announced a few years back, thousands of people showed up at the US border and dumped their kids, because they (wrongly) thought they would be eligible for DACA.

5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You fail to consider how proper "legal" immigrants feel about this saga. They jumped through multiple hoops and it took a huge effort to get legal residency or a passport, and yet there are people now saying all anybody must do is illegally cross the border and then we should give them a passport. I can't believe we are even having this argument. Obama was absolutely wrong to implement this scheme, and that it must end now is absolutely Obama's fault. Trump is merely trying to enforce the law.

Understanding how this problem arose is crucial to avoid such a snafu occurring again.

41 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

Actually, I agree with you on the rule of law.

My objections are based more on HOW it was done. If Trump was sincere about caring for the Dreamers, he could have taken the same action, but WITH a draft law in hand, a speech delivered PERSONALLY, and made a loud, public COMMITMENT to see it enacted.

They are/were children. They were not "unscreened illegals". They were children. And, it is heartless to toss out people for the actions of others.

As to your comments regarding Obama, I think they are nonsense. Sorry, but...

Edited by Samui Bodoh

20 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Someone has to clean up Obama's mess. Don't blame Trump for being left this mess to clean up. put the blame where it belongs.

18 minutes ago, daboyz1 said:

Like I said, more than half the states sued the federal government over this and they would've won. Obama exceeded his authority. Simple as that.

Personally I think this dream act will just encourage more illegal immigration and this has already been proven. When it was announced a few years back, thousands of people showed up at the US border and dumped their kids, because they (wrongly) thought they would be eligible for DACA.

Not true. The mass immigration began before that. And when the immigration service interviews these kids only 1 out of 400 had even heard of DACA.

And what was the mess, exactly? 

Where to start?

Firstly Obama used his pen when he should've went to Congress.

Secondly he instituted a program that has no end game. All DACA does is give these folks a 2 year renewable work permit. There is no path to permanent residency or citizenship.

A mess in the true sense of the word.

19 minutes ago, FreddieRoyle said:

You fail to consider how proper "legal" immigrants feel about this saga. They jumped through multiple hoops and it took a huge effort to get legal residency or a passport, and yet there are people now saying all anybody must do is illegally cross the border and then we should give them a passport. I can't believe we are even having this argument. Obama was absolutely wrong to implement this scheme, and that it must end now is absolutely Obama's fault. Trump is merely trying to enforce the law.

Understanding how this problem arose is crucial to avoid such a snafu occurring again.

I guess you're citing evidence from the Department of Making Things Up. Could you give us some specific numbers on how "proper 'legal' immigrants" feel about this? On the other hand polls show that an overwhelming majority of Americans do favor letting these DACA immigrants stay in the USA.

And  even if your assertion were a fact, why should the opinions of immigrants be given special weight over the opinions of native-born Americans?

• Poll: Majority opposes deporting Dreamers

• "A majority of voters, 58 percent, think these undocumented immigrants, also known as Dreamers, should be allowed to stay and become citizens if they meet certain requirements — a sentiment that goes well beyond the existing DACA program. Another 18 percent think they should be allowed to stay and become legal residents, but not citizens. Only 15 percent think they should be removed or deported from the country.

• Support for allowing these immigrants to remain in the U.S. spans across party lines: 84 percent of Democrats, 74 percent of independents and 69 percent of Republicans think they should stay."

• http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/05/poll-trump-deporting-daca-dreamers-242343

So we can see that even by Republican standards, the posters supporting Trump's move are members of an especially xenophobic class of troglodytes.

1 hour ago, daboyz1 said:

Obama pushed an immigration bill through The House. It passed The House. It had majority support in The Senate (55%) but was stymied by Republican filibuster. Obama did the next best thing. It was legal and compassionate. Just as Trump's Muslim Ban and Arpaio pardon are legal (but not compassionate).

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

As President, my highest duty is to defend the American people and the Constitution of the United States of America

...says the man being investigated for money laundering and obstruction of justice.

...says the man whose casino has paid fines for engaging in money laundering.

...says the man who pardoned a racist for contempt of court.

...says the man who falsely accused his predecessor of illegal wiretap.

...says the man who paid $25m to settle a fraud case.

...says the man who DAILY undermines the constitution by falsely accusing the media of fake news.

2 hours ago, jackh said:

Now congress HAS to get off their asses and has 6 months to get immigration laws passed. What a concept, they actually have to go to work now.

If Congress actually does develop a collective spine , the orange clown wont last 8 months.

2 hours ago, jackh said:

Your right in a ignorant way of thinking.....Donald the Clown will be lucky to stay 2 years in charge:cheesy:

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

True that. Well said. There is no doubt that Trump is the most callous, heartless, soulless, black hearted half man to occupy the office since Nixon, that paragon of virtue. His entire life has been devoted to the pursuit of money, no matter what the cost. He has taken down thousands of small businessmen, and ruined countless families, in this vain, ruthless pursuit, and left 3,600 active lawsuits in his horrific wake. It appears that this man, who is completely lacking the quality of charity, kindness or generosity in his heart and soul, is applying that same M.O. to the White House, and subsequently to the US. For some Americans, who have been indoctrinated with the false belief that their quality of life has been reduced by these immigrants, it all makes sense. Personally, I think most are overwhelmed by nostalgia, and the feeling that things were better before. Sure, on some levels they were. That is due to a combination of factors, primarily both the outsourcing and shifting of overseas jobs that began under Reagan, and the mind boggling degree of easing of environmental, and industrial regulations started by Reagan. 

But, the America that I see, is a much better place because of these immigrants. Most I know work really hard, for low wages, and do not complain about it. They are real men and women. They are dignified, law abiding, honest, and kind. They pay taxes, and most do not get anything back. Despite what alot of the extremists, and racists on the right like to say, many studies have shown them to be a net benefit to the system, economically. Plus they bring alot of color, and flavor to a land that would be mind numbingly boring without them. And if you want to discuss the fact that they are illegal, we then have to discuss immigration reform, and the reasons why so few legal immigrants, who are not wealthy, are admitted into the US. Not something the deflector in chief likes to talk about, nor alot of his devotees. 

Lastly, it should be known that I an NOT a bleeding heart liberal. I am centrist, and believe in some conservative positions. But, I am also a man of some compassion and reason. 

3 hours ago, jackh said:

Auss should do the same as its Citz have to watch every other person that they so call are allowed to work in Auss at the expence of the Citz that is struggling without one