What do you really like/ enjoy, living in Thailand?

thaibeachlovers

Couldn't help but note that weather was one of the most frequently mentioned attributes. Well, I am from Florida, so weather is not part of it for me. I do like the lower cost of living and the relatively stable infrastructure. The food is abundant, interesting, and good; the fruits, the salads, and the soups are excellent, the seafood plentiful and cheap. The people are quite nice, I have made some good friends. 

12 hours ago, tryasimight said:

The most honest reply so far I think.

13 hours ago, cms22 said:

My favourite thing about Thailand has, is, and always will be the girls.

Absolutely lovely. Been here 20 years and love em all.

You have not met my TW. She can be a tad feisty at 5ft tall.  But I agree , I came on a bike trip in 2004 we were parked up in Chiang Kham and a scooter stopped at the lights , seated on were 3 girls they gave us a Thai smile , waved and were off , I think that was the moment I knew I would be back forever .

1) cost of living, i could never live in the states as i do here

2) always warm, being born in Chicago, " the windy city " i hate cold weather

3 ) the Thai women are so beautiful every trip outside is like being in candyland. I love Thai women

4 ) Safety, In  6 six living in Bangkok and Isaan i have never felt threatened or uncomfortable, you can't say that about most major cities in America

It is not the U.K.; I grew tired of the U.K. and it probably got bored with me because it changed so dramatically. Doing business became increasingly harder with obstacles at every turn. England (and this is not intended as a racist comment, more an observation) changed from being a multicultural environment, enriched by a host of immigrant workers, to somewhere that I didn't recognize as being my country.

I imagined that I would spend most of my remaining years in Spain where I had a property. Then I discovered Thailand in a brief one week visit!... came back, got bitten on the butt and soon decided to make it home.

Would I be here if it were not for female attachment?...No

11 years later would I stay without that attachment?.... Yes I would; I now regard Thailand as "home".

What makes it home?... I think all those things that have been mentioned above - the climate (except April/May), cost of living (except imported goods), safety and relative stability (especially under the Junta), lack of regulation/bureaucracy and, yes, most definitely the girls. 

Is is it perfect ?..... Of course not, nowhere is, and I do not view Thailand through rose-tinted glasses - but this is not the thread for highlighting the faults of the Thais/Thailand...... there are plenty of opportunities (as I have done) to do that elsewhere.

Edited by Jip99

I like it here in Thailand. I started traveling to PR China in 1988 for work. I ventured into remote agricultural regions on State-level Agriculture Ministry delegations where the people routinely said that I was the first Westerner ever on their premises. I once sat on a flight next to a person from the Defense Intelligence Agency (a unit of the CIA) who said that they had never gotten anyone into the regions I visited.

So now I am happy to stay at home and my surroundings here in Isaan where I have no problem dealing in Thai with the locals. I keep myself very busy and have no desire to travel for the sake of travel and to see new things ... and I do not consider that sad.

It’s a bit of a story, how and why I came here:

May 2012        After sadness of 1) a long marriage running out of steam (1997) and 2) widowhood (2011) and 3 ‘going-nowhere’ g/f’s in between, I decided on a drastic change of scene and drew up a list of the 4 places I most wanted to visit before d-day. My main objectives were pretty simple:

1. beautiful rural scenery with plenty of scope for cycling and motor-cycling
  2. interesting and communicative people
  3. good food
  4. not too expensive and, as a ‘luxury’, on top of these ‘necessities’
  5. to fall in love with a beautiful woman, who enjoys living life to the full . . . and cooking!

After whittling the list down to the last 2, that left Canada – and it had to be British Columbia on the west coast – and Thailand. A quick bit of Wikipedia and Lonely Planets research, literally blew BC out of the water. Apart from ‘interesting’ weather, occasionally, Thailand appeared to excel at the 4 necessities and, from the intriguing tales I’d heard about nights in Bangkok, no.5, too. The web was awash with photos of Thai women; usually slim-figured with a headful of the loveliest long black hair and a smile that would, literally, open the vaults at the Bank of England.

Wanting to see the real Thailand, without the concrete and clubs, I booked accommodation and flight to the Isan region – also highly praised in the LP guide – drove around, between Udon Thani and Sakon Nakhon, stopped by a school to ‘chat to a group of mothers’ – one of whom smiled at me – and the rest, as they say, is history . . . history, in this case, being an amazing, exciting and food-fuelled rocket-trip into my seventies.

What do I like/enjoy, living in Thailand? In a word, everything; despite my occasional forum rants re the ‘unsettled’ present political scenario and occasional failings in utility provision – espec lecky and BB – I regularly remind my Aussie pal, during our weekly bottle or two, that I love living here and there’s not the slightest chance of my returning to boring old and sometimes flippin’ cold blighty. Let’s see; I’ve got:

1.      A gorgeous wife – 40, this Xmas Eve – who can out-pace me on a push bike and is quite a steady big-biker, too . . . yes, lucky me.

2.      A superb home – Sunset House – on the fringe of a friendly village and with views, westwards, across a km of rice paddy, to a small river. On the balcony at sunset, with TalkSport and a beer . . . what else could an old git wish for?

3.      A large swimming pool

4.      Nice little Ford Fiesta; not your big, beefy 100mph pickup; just a tidy 80mph car.

5.      As many motor-bikes (road & off-road)/scooters as there are days in the week and

6.      A network of recently resurfaced secondary roads, offering an 80 km or more motor-bike ride – my pride and joy is a Ducati Panigale 899 – which, if I’ve got my ‘Foggy’ head on, can scare the living daylights out of me.

I like Thailand . . . did I tell you?

06 one night in bangkok . . . how does that song go.jpg

09 young man seeks excitement.JPG

11 feasting by the pool, as the song goes.JPG

04 jan '16 was bloody cool.JPG

Edited by Ossy
photos too small

No rates to pay

No income tax

No nanny state PC 8ull8h1t

Almost no petty bureaucracy

Idiot lefty politicians aren't wasting my money on bludgers and breeders.

Parking is mostly free, No parking tickets

Nobody cares if I'm doing 50 kph in a 40 kph zone

I can have a soapy massage or some female company anytime

Nobody cares about my politics

Nobody cares I have a young wife

Eating out is cheap

It doesn't sleet, hail or snow

Very few out of control, loud obnoxious kids ( can't say the same about dogs )

No gas bill

No water bill

Fuel isn't taxed to death - Shame can't say the same about wine :(

I don't have to segregate my trash into 5 separate bins - Some fella in the street is happy to do that

I don't have to pay to dump old appliances or garden rubbish - Some fella is happy to take it away

There aren't dozens of parking spaces reserved for the disabled or women with kids

No travellers, migrants or asylum seekers

Edited by Pdaz

The surprises. I must give examples. 1) I was left alone on a hospital exam table when my disabled friend's caretaker checked on me. I said I was freezing. Her solution: climb on the table and lay on top of me.

2) Walking late in BKK. Street vendor wants me to buy a beer. I say I'm broke. She says, No problem. Pay me tomorrow. Never saw her before. I have two beers, chat, and pay her the next day.

3) Make friends with receptionist at 4-star hotel. Fast forward 5 years: She's in management at 5-star hotels. Twice so far she has flown in to BKK, got taxi to Pattaya, cooked dinner for me and my buddy, handed me 10,000 baht to help me enjoy my stay, and flown out after a night at her ex-high school girlfriend's house.

4) At 7-11 after long flight. 5 A.M. Buy way too much stocking up on water and many other essentials. What to do? Without a word the counter clerk picks up two big jugs of water and follows me to my condo. I tip her 50 baht.

Any of this at home? Not a chance.

It's much easier and less expensive to live a clean, healthy lifestyle (also easy to live a really, really decadent life), including exercising outside 365 days a year (yes, except for rainy days), healthy food that is the norm, less expensive beach side housing, better public transportation, affordable medical/dental treatment (although the health insurances aren't that good), always something to do, there are a handful of markets nearby we get food and small items when needed.

I like not being dependent on a car, although I do miss having a nice ride to work on. I have my little Honda PCX 150 to putt around town on and we use my wife's car for everything else.

There are trade offs for much of what I listed but I can live with most of them (with cheaper housing comes a poorer infrastructure/housing quality/police and fire services, etc.)

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for all the positive posts. I think only one off topic and one meaningless post.

I think we all agree that we like living in LOS, whatever our reason.

I'm sorry if mine was the meaningless post ....  I just told the truth :burp:

Let me see now. The cost of living, the quality/variety/price for food, the diversity in Thailand( beaches, islands, mountains, rivers, historial sites, Bangkok) and lastly but my favorite the abundance of drop dead gorgeous Thai ladies who make themselves available on a daily basis and who keep insisting that I am still a handsome man despite ample evidence to the contrary.