Biscuits

Crossy

No not these

digestive%20biscuits.jpg

These

29579_P&$prodImageLarge$

Having discovered the joys of pocket screws I'd like to try biscuit joints (no holes to fill). Anyone seen biscuit jointers and biscuits here, or is AliExpress going to be my friend as it is only too often?

Yes, I'm waaay too lazy to make mortise and tenon joints even with jigs and a router.

4 hours ago, builder said:

Just remember when you open the bag put them in an airtight container or they will swell

Digestives don't remain uneaten long enough to go soft :smile:

Good point, something I hadn't discovered yet, although it makes sense as one of the selling points is they expand to fill the slot when coated in glue.

I would not recommend replacing mortise and tenon with biscuits they are excellent for counter tops and joining sheets very handy when making cabinets. To replace mortise and tenon I would use festool dominos look it up will be a bit of kit maybe a bit much for $ diy there might be some cheeper generic now

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

But for the number of joints I need I can use my router and make up a simple jig.

I think this is key? If not so many joints i would think simple dowels would suffice. Then no need to buy extraneous equipment. Except maybe some clamps?

Keep biscuits where they belong, dunked in tea.

Yeah, I was gravitating towards dowelled joints.

But I can make dominoes and route the slots, and I get to choose what the dominoes are made of too.

As noted above, biscuits will be reserved for jointing sheets and cabinet making (whilst the other type are getting dunked).

7 minutes ago, builder said:

It should easy to make if you have a table saw but if you have a table saw would it not be as easy to mortise and tenon

I do have a table saw and a half finished router-table (waiting for the mounting plate).

Routing the mortise is nice and simple with a jig, I've just never been very good at the tenon bit. Should be able to whizz off dominoes and route two mortises in less time than I can make a less than perfect tenon.

All learning and practice.

4 minutes ago, builder said:

Do you have a miter stop on saw

Yes, but it's a cheap saw, the mitre flaps around like <think of suitable analogy> in the T slot. Making (or getting made) a new, better fitting slider is on the list :smile:

EDIT Actually, I've seen some adjustable sliders on AliExpress, could be a quicker route to success.

I'm not a woodworker but I did one time make a couple of bunk beds using a friends equipment.  

I'm sure you have found these for your router table? If you are not doing many joints?

8c602.jpg

I'm an old fashioned shopper so I guess if HomePro has biscuits then they have the cutters etc..

Edited by VocalNeal

I've not seen the biscuits here (which is why I started the thread). I'm not averse to buying the right tools, even Wifey doesn't complain if she sees something useful at the end of it.

Converting our old chicken shed into a picnic table and benches started a slippery slope. 

Mortise and tenon is the best though also the most difficult to execute. Dominoes are also strong and their appeal is speed. Dowels and biscuits are obsolete technologies. I have a domino joiner. While tempting, I would not make my own dominoes. First unlike the tool, dominoes are cheap. But that's not why. More importantly dominoes are extremely well engineered in subtle ways that might not be fully understood or easy to replicate. For instance they are optimized for holding power after gluing:

glue.jpg.c8054ebc6e52b7ea1b64eba9e78443ae.jpg

When I went to the Makita showroom the other day they have a biscuit tool all in one with powerpack.

dont ask me to find it again in their mini catalogue becasue they probably have 500 different tools.

Did you say what you were jointing together? quite often you can simplifiy a mortice and tenon joint with a simple halfing joint (I am thinking chair leg/rail connections)

There are several problems with biscuit joints, in no special order they include 1) the biscuit adds virtually no strength to the joint. 2) the biscuits are prone to swelling before use, an oven or microwave can solve that one 3) biscuits are prone to swelling during use so unless you wait a really long time before sanding you will see the locations of them. 

If you use them without glue glue as location points in conjunction with pocket screws they are not a bad option 

loose tennons, the Festool domino is the supreme tool for these, are  much better joint. With only a few to make a router is the ideal tool for the job. Making tennon stock can be quite easy or you can buy some dominos and use them.

if you make your own loose tennons don't bother getting the sides perfectly rounded, the holding strength is not changed by very much using square sided tennons in rounded end router holes 

Yeah @sometimewoodworker I'm gravitating towards loose tenons or even good, old fashioned, dowels backed up by pocket screws and glue.

The project is some plantation shutters to replace those 'orrible (but cheap) roller blinds around the downstairs sitting area.

The assorted plans I've got vary from full-blown mortise and tenon joints to simple butt joints with woodscrews into end-grain (yuk).

The first lot won't open (but will have the adjustable louvres), start simple.

Has to look good for Madam.

For those who don't know, these are plantation shutters, ours will be wood coloured :-

shutters-bifold.jpg

I don't see a center rod so can they be open and closed . If I was to make this and I have very popular on brown stone buildings in NYC I would use regular mortise tenon and the slats made on table saw all can be achieved with a table saw from global house etc it's an easy fun project but will take time

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, builder said:

I don't see a center rod so can they be open and closed .

Yeah, I picked a poor example, we will have actuator rods.

More like this but walk through height :-

Brown-Ovation-wood-shutters-in-a-kitchen

Got a table saw and a router, time is not an issue.

Next task, materials.

What type of local wood? Not too expensive (I make mistakes), reasonably termite resistant (without being impossible to work), readily available.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I picked a poor example, we will have actuator rods.

More like this but walk through height :-

Brown-Ovation-wood-shutters-in-a-kitchen

Got a table saw and a router, time is not an issue.

Next task, materials.

What type of local wood? Not too expensive (I make mistakes), reasonably termite resistant (without being impossible to work), readily available.

Teak is one of the few termite resistant woods, it falls down on the not too expensive front. So basically anything that has the looks you like then after machining plentiful soaking in chandrite then leave it a week for the carrier to evaporate (it could be paraffin) and coat it in the finish of your choice.

My preferred finish from HomePro is

IMG_3281.thumb.JPG.991f147323cb8b584e05b78161ca32d5.JPG

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Teak is one of the few termite resistant woods, it falls down on the not too expensive front.

Our sala is "mai padu" which was significantly cheaper than teak, could be a choice?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Our sala is "mai padu" which was significantly cheaper than teak, could be a choice?

Basically anything will be OK  as long as you give enough coats of Chandrite specially the frames. 1 should be enough so give them 4:sad:

though I don't recommend rubber wood as that is too tempting.

Yes, but it's a cheap saw, the mitre flaps around like in the T slot. Making (or getting made) a new, better fitting slider is on the list :smile:

EDIT Actually, I've seen some adjustable sliders on AliExpress, could be a quicker route to success.

Miter stop is the adjustable thing that comes with most table saws there is a grove on table set at 90 degrees set fence to length of tenon set blade to height run all tenons then hold stock vertical against fence for this is a wee bit dangerous so take care you should have all done in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app