Mass Comm Degree For Foreigner In Bkk

northend_boyz

Hi ya,

Need some help about my current situation. I've been living and working (teaching w/o a degree) in BKK for over 5 years and have to admit that life here has been pretty good to me. Well paying job, nice home and car, and most importantly a beautiful girlfriend. But something is missing...... security for the future. This is where i need some help from you nice ex-pats. I want to enroll in a university in BKK and get a degree to secure my future here. I would like to get out of the teaching racket (bored) and into something a little more exciting. I'm currently looking at a B.A. in Mass Communication Technology at Ramkhamhaeng University, maybe majoring in Multimedia Journalism. My questions are ....what career choices are available for a foreigner in Thailand after getting this degree?.....Are there many jobs in Thailand?....And straight to the point, should i get this degree?

I'm also considering a B.A. in English Language, but worried this would push me back into teaching.

Please help me?

Thanks

RYRY

There are many guys and gals here in Thailand who have several degrees to their name. Some have masters degrees, some have professional degrees, others have doctorate degrees and in addition to that they also have TEFL or CELTA and speak multiple languages, not to mention the vast wealth of experience they bring with it as well, yet... and this is the crux, they somehow don't seem to be able to secure themselves a decent job in the 'jobs only for thai folk' job market that happens to be outside of the education industry unless they go out on their own into business or lucky enough to be sent to Thailand as an expat.

Doing the degree will be good from your own development perspective but doing a BA in a Thai university may be questionable from the aspect of you actually learning anything worthwhile. From my experience of working in Thai universities, I would say that doing a Bachelors here is a bit like doing an A level back in the UK with the exception that the A level is probably much harder to do and I know I am probably being harsh on the Thai education system, but most don't actually learn anything worthwhile until they get to masters level and even then it can be questionable.

I don't really believe that this BA in Mass Communication Technology will give you any new opportunities that you don't already have. Furthermore, what are the chances that this degree will be recognised back home should you find yourself on a one way ticket out of LOS in the future. If I was in your shoes and was serious about doing a degree in Thailand then I would first pick a subject that would actually put me into a specific industry and secondly, I would then go on out and do an international masters degree almost straight away. Only then would I say that you have given yourself a half decent chance of getting a minor foothold on any kind of future security as you so desire.