Marriage Extension - Proof of Residence

Hi,

I'm currently pulling everything together to do my 2nd Extension of Stay based on marriage

The only thing I'm not sure about is showing proof of residence

We are living rent-free in a property owned by my brother-in-law

Last year we used an agency and they drafted a letter for my brother-in-law to sign which I think just confirmed that we were living there

Do you think such a letter will suffice and if so any thoughts on the wording of the letter?

Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

Thinking ahead to to next year, if I were to get a yellow book for this address would that suffice or would I still need the letter?

The yellow book should be enough to prove your residence.

If your wife was to change her house book registry to her brothers that would also be accepted.

22 minutes ago, narkeddiver said:

Many thanks ubonjoe 

Thinking ahead to to next year, if I were to get a yellow book for this address would that suffice or would I still need the letter?

Has your brother-in-law as the relevant housemaster filed a completed TM30 at your local immigration office? If so, that might prove sufficient for the purpose of proving your address at Immigration.

Certainly I was not asked by Rayong Immigration for any proof of address when I obtained my latest retirement extension there a few weeks ago, further to the TM30 which my wife (as housemaster) provided at their request last year. 

Edited by OJAS

5 minutes ago, Dan5 said:

I've done many marriage extensions and have never shown any such proof. I'm in Bangkok, maybe it's different in your province, but are you sure you need it?

Does you wife have a housbook for where you living. If yes that is why you did not need it.

it is normally asked for when applying for an extension based upon marriage.

Don't forget to have photos taken of you and your wife in the bedroom, in the living room, and in front of the house with the house number showing. If you are in a housing estate, have a photo taken of yourselves in front of the sign of the housing estate. 

40 minutes ago, renaissanc said:

Don't forget to have photos taken of you and your wife in the bedroom, in the living room, and in front of the house with the house number showing. If you are in a housing estate, have a photo taken of yourselves in front of the sign of the housing estate. 

Thanks for the reminder - those are on the to do list ;)

Edited by narkeddiver

1 hour ago, Dan5 said:

I've done many marriage extensions and have never shown any such proof. I'm in Bangkok, maybe it's different in your province, but are you sure you need it?

I'm not sure if we need it but I do know we had one last year - doesn't seem like it'll take much to knock one up just in case ;)

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Has your brother-in-law as the relevant housemaster filed a completed TM30 at your local immigration office? If so, that might prove sufficient for the purpose of proving your address at Immigration.

Certainly I was not asked by Rayong Immigration for any proof of address when I obtained my latest retirement extension there a few weeks ago, further to the TM30 which my wife (as housemaster) provided at their request last year. 

The TM30 is done and dusted - I'll bring the letter along just in case 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If your wife was to change her house book registry to her brothers that would also be accepted.

My wife owns a few properties and I think she has her house book registry in the one she is most likely to sell

582ae336eb5e5_MarriageExtensionRequirements.pdf

Required Documents For A One Year Extension Based Upon Marriage
These are general requirements and may vary at different offices.
Unless you are applying at Bangkok you will need 2 sets of copies attached to 2 TM7
application.forms.
Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and
your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.
Copies of your passport photo page and every page that has any stamp or visa for
Thailand on it. Copy of TM6 departure card.
Marriage certificate and a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry (Kor Ror 22 for
foreign marriages)
Copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.
Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with
the house number shown in it. The number of photos needed varies by office.
Map to your residence from the nearest main road or street.
Proof of residence if not living where your wife's house book is for.
Some offices may want witnesses when you apply.

Edited by silverado1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Jomtien won't recognise the yellow book; it's been thrown back at me every year, so I don't bother taking it now.  However, other immi offices might be a bit more helpful.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Jomtien won't recognise the yellow book; it's been thrown back at me every year, so I don't bother taking it now.  However, other immi offices might be a bit more helpful.

And in any case it might prove easier said than done for the OP to obtain a yellow book if his amphur is like mine and requires a trip to his Embassy in Bangkok to obtain a formal proof of address which then needs to be translated into Thai by a a certified translator and verified by the MFA before they will even consider issuing one.

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And in any case it might prove easier said than done for the OP to obtain a yellow book if his amphur is like mine and requires a trip to his Embassy in Bangkok to obtain a formal proof of address which then needs to be translated into Thai by a a certified translator and verified by the MFA before they will even consider issuing one.

Like everything here; only local rules apply, and also depends which side of the bed the officer got out of that morning.  If you ask 5 immigration officers the same question, you'll get 5 different answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Same thing for me wife mentioned my yellow book and the famous pink card, it was just waved away not wanted, need a witness every year though, plus the rest of stuff required.

I make the B40k  per month via a pension  in Australia but, by Australian rules it has to be paid into my Australian  bank account...not a Thai bank.

Will this, if confirmed by the Embassy in Bangkok  suffice to meet the requirements for extension of stay based on marriage?

I'm up for my second year in January 2018.

12 minutes ago, Lenmac said:

I make the B40k  per month via a pension  in Australia but, by Australian rules it has to be paid into my Australian  bank account...not a Thai bank.

Will this, if confirmed by the Embassy in Bangkok  suffice to meet the requirements for extension of stay based on marriage?

I'm up for my second year in January 2018.

Yes it will be accepted.

You will do a statutory declaration to prove your income.

There is no requirement for your pension to be transferred to here.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it will be accepted.

You will do a statutory declaration to prove your income.

There is no requirement for your pension to be transferred to here.

Thanks for your reply  Ubonjoe.

I guess I just type up a stat dec myself? No need for a lawyer?

If accepted it'll save the hassle of 400 in my personal account for 2 months, Bank letters (which last time took a few days to get)

49 minutes ago, Lenmac said:

Thanks for your reply  Ubonjoe.

I guess I just type up a stat dec myself? No need for a lawyer?

If accepted it'll save the hassle of 400 in my personal account for 2 months, Bank letters (which last time took a few days to get)

Here is a blank stat declaration. 5938356e7922d_AusStatDec.pdf

Just fill it in and state you monthly income in Australian dollars and immigration will convert it to baht when you apply for the extension. No need for a lawyer.