Penang Visa Run Report

7 hours ago, cacahootie said:

Next adventure - reentry permit for my trip to Japan and Singapore at the end of this month.

If you get the reentry permit at the airport, allowing 30 minutes for the process though it usually takes less time, it is pretty painless. Remember to have a photo, though it may not be needed if leaving from Suvarnabhumi.

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Penang is the only place I have applied for a Thai visa where I think using an agent is worthwhile. If you do want to do it yourself, Tuesday or Wednesday mid morning for the application should be quiet. Pick up the next day around 3:00 pm if you are not in a hurry.

You forgot Phnom Penh, where virtually nobody applies in person. Only agents can get you a TV without outbound flight/proof of funds in PP.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:
1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Penang is the only place I have applied for a Thai visa where I think using an agent is worthwhile. If you do want to do it yourself, Tuesday or Wednesday mid morning for the application should be quiet. Pick up the next day around 3:00 pm if you are not in a hurry.

You forgot Phnom Penh, where virtually nobody applies in person. Only agents can get you a TV without outbound flight/proof of funds in PP.

Maybe, I chose the wrong agent, and I did have many tourist visas (none from Phnom Penh) in my passport at the time, but I went to the embassy myself to sort things out when the agent (after wasting two days) was unable to deliver the promised visa. The main advantage of the agent in Phnom Penh is that, for a price, they can get you the visa faster.

16 hours ago, geisha said:

A question please. As this office seems very crowded, when is the quietest time to go ? I'll be staying there the whole working week.thanks.

tbh, it really wasn't that crowded compared to Vientiane.  I didn't really spend much time there, maybe an hour to 1.5 hours in total between the two days.  It's just a question of showing up early and being aggressive about getting in line.  I would assume Mondays to be the most crowded, but that's the day I applied and it wasn't so bad.

Edit: it just occurred to me that you probably don't need to get there right as it opens, it may be better to wait an hour or so after open for the initial flurry to die down.  Unlike Vientiane, the order you pick up in does not depend on when you applied.

Edited by cacahootie
clarification

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

Maybe, I chose the wrong agent, and I did have many tourist visas (none from Phnom Penh) in my passport at the time, but I went to the embassy myself to sort things out when the agent (after wasting two days) was unable to deliver the promised visa. The main advantage of the agent in Phnom Penh is that, for a price, they can get you the visa faster.

Call your agent in advance to see.  At least one major agent (Lucky, Lucky) is now reporting "No Expedited Service" so 3 days wait at any price.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, leonardjones625 said:

Thank you cacahootie

Did you even ask around about using agents?

I did not inquire about agents.  I know there's a couple in town, and I definitely saw them picking up passports.  Banana Penang and Jim's Place are the names I hear come up frequently.

• Like 1

RE the land border entry- I went through Pedang Besar in early July,  on a reentry linked to  O/  Retirement. Was asked to show 20,000  -  didn't have it. Officer told me to enter Thailand without a stamp and go to the bank to update my  Thai  bank book. I refused,  and made noises like I was calling Bangkok  Immigration to verify I even needed to show 20 K, and he backed down. 

I went to Banana in Penang and the lady in charge didn't have a clue about using the combination method for a retirement Visa.

She insisted I needed a minimum of 400,000 Baht in the bank?!

That would have meant over a million with my pensions affidavit.

Fortunately I started there early so still had time to make it to the Consulate where I sailed smoothly through.

It's the first and last time I've tried to use an agent for anything.

8 hours ago, PhuketSarah said:

RE the land border entry- I went through Pedang Besar in early July,  on a reentry linked to  O/  Retirement. Was asked to show 20,000  -  didn't have it. Officer told me to enter Thailand without a stamp and go to the bank to update my  Thai  bank book. I refused,  and made noises like I was calling Bangkok  Immigration to verify I even needed to show 20 K, and he backed down. 

Well, the thing is, the rules allow them to demand you show funds, so they're technically in the right.  It is a bit weird that they were going to let you into Thailand without a stamp, and also weird that they were willing to accept a bank book because usually it's cash or back over.  I'd have definitely been unwilling to enter Thailand without a stamp, better to go back to Malaysia and have your exit canceled and hit an ATM for cash there than be on the wrong side of the law in Thailand (not that it's likely to have been an issue).

Just now, lordblackader said:

You could spend US$60 a night on a hotel but couldn't both handing over <$20 to use an visa agent - all to their own I guess but if you'd used an agent your post would have been significantly shorter. 

It's about priorities, but regardless, the reason I don't use agents isn't the cost - I prefer handling bureaucracy myself.