Legal advise - noisy neighbors

jaymbkk

Here's my problem, im living in a town house and my neighbor has set up a motorcycle garage on his house, parking and fixing the bikes on the street and/or on front of his house.

The noise Is just crazy ! Motor noise 24/7 from 8am until as late as 11pm sometime !

I've asked him countless times to stop or lower the noise but he just doesn't care. The village office said they can't do a thing about it either.

So im wondering if there's is any law or legal action I could take against him, it's surely illegal to set up a shop in the middle of habitations..

PS: I'm the tenant of that house and the owner just keep saying he can't do anything about it. And if I wanna leave I owe him half year rent .. but that's another story

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Go see the local Council, There Is usualy a guy who will come and talk with the you and the neighbour,  We had a simular problem with an idiot who kept cats in cages that meowed all day and night long. the wife and i went to see him and found him quite reasonable, Usually you will find him at the local Amphur or village head man. Once we had complained more people came forward , they were just too frightened to  start the ball rolling.

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

"noise 24/7 from 8am until as late as 11pm sometime"

that would be maximum 15/7 as 24/7 is nonstop  

You might be very surprised how much noise a very cheap generator makes. Located in the correct place it might just keep him awake all night every night. When he complains tell him to go <deleted> himself.

19 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"There is so much garbage here I'm lost as to whether littering is actually legal or illegal. "

What part of the "dump" are you living in? Bangkok, Pattaya...?

Upcountry here the countryside is  clear of unsightly garbage and the main town is very clean.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Move lose deposit. You will not owe him 6 months rent at all. 0800 to 2300 is not 24/7.

I suspect it is very annoying for you but tbe guy is trying to make a living. 

This is sound advice.  OP .. you need to understand Thai people ... he is working to make a living to pay his bills ... same as you,   now you are trying to stop him from feeding his family  ... how do you think he will feel and react  ???

As jeab1980  said ..... just move and cut your loses.  You will sleep much easier.

If in an area with a Poo Yai, then go talk to him and he can make up a formal letter of complaint which will have many lines for signatures. Then go to all the people living in that area who are affected and ask them to sign. If it is as out of control you say then they will sign. From there the Poo Yai will do the rest. In an area not having Poo Yai, then does the guy have a license to do business and pay taxes? Aslo, these motorcycle guys can be very nasty so be careful. Had a problem with one one-time and he produced a gun. Yes, he is trying to make a living, but always motorcycle people like this are out of line. The other one I refer to above was regarding music noise pollution form a business.

You want to live like a thai being among thais then you will ALWAYS have problems.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Correct. This problem cannot occur "back home" because one cannot run a business (involving objectionable noise) in suburbia without local Council approval.

You have to move house.  99 percent of Thai people won't do anything about anything that is annoying them or things that are breaking the law or harming other people, because if will make them or someone else loose face.  They put it with it until they snap and go crazy.. that's whey you see so many stories about someone running around with a huge knife, or killing someone over so tiny little thing.  

I have lived several places over my 11 and I have seen the frustrations of other people who try to do something about it.... even having the problem stop only to gradually start up again over a few weeks.. like no one would notice.

Where I live now a guy has started playing VERY LOUD base music on and off throughout the day... every day... and ALWAYS from 5pm till gone midnight.  This have been going on for about 2 weeks.  It can be heard throughout the entire village.  Its as loud as the big village parties.  But no one will do anything about it.   His neighbour has even started playing loud base music to try to out compete him... which only results in a terrible racket of bone vibrating base for several hours.  

The poster complaining about cats meowing being noisy....  they must have very sensitive hears... try putting up with barking howling dogs, a rooster farm, people having parties every night, sawing up steal for a living, or being next to a temple with huge loud speakers.

2 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Record a day's noise, and then play it back to him at night till the morning. He can't complain about it, because its his own

noise.

So then whos being anti social? Noise stops according to OP at 2300 you start nouse at 2300. Not the best idea ive read.

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

So then whos being anti social? Noise stops according to OP at 2300 you start nouse at 2300. Not the best idea ive read.

Use your imagination: if the mechanic loses sleep, he won't be able to work as well or as long as before. I recommend closing windows, turn the a/c on, or move to another room while this plays out. Of course if the OP can, he should consider moving from what is clearly a pleb environment.

1 minute ago, meinphuket said:

Use your imagination: if the mechanic loses sleep, he won't be able to work as well or as long as before. I recommend closing windows, turn the a/c on, or move to another room while this plays out. Of course if the OP can, he should consider moving from what is clearly a pleb environment.

I suspect if he follows your advice he would be made to move on pretty quickly. Thai will  put up with Thai loudness but farang loudness i think not. Why get into that confrontation just move far easier.

I don't know what your rights are as a tenant; however, you should explain to the owner you have to move because the noise is intolerable. He /she might do something if 6 months rent disappears. I don't know how you came to owe 6 months rent, sounds unusual.

The owner will quickly realize they won't be able to rent to anyone else, unless the tenant is deaf.

20 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I don't know what your rights are as a tenant; however, you should explain to the owner you have to move because the noise is intolerable. He /she might do something if 6 months rent disappears. I don't know how you came to owe 6 months rent, sounds unusual.

The owner will quickly realize they won't be able to rent to anyone else, unless the tenant is deaf.

Sorry, I doubt the owner will care that they won't be about to rent it out anymore, or if they loose money.... most Thais would rather have it standing empty for years than confront a problem that would make them loose face.

Same with house prices.. trying to sell a house way over its value.. never being able to sell it... and over the years of it being empty it will fall apart and deteriorate, but they will never reduce the price... so they loose out, but they can't admit they were wrong about their idea about how much it was worth....

Had a friend who has a successful business as a bar / restaurant in a shop house for a few years... the owner saw the potential to get more money out of him and so put up the rent several times... till the guy told them he would not pay another increase.. surprise the owner did not listen.. and on the next rent renewal the price was up again... so he left and rented a new shop house. .... Well that old shop house has been empty for 7 years now... and has fallen into a bad state which would cost a lot to fix up.  Greed and stupidity, and a stubbornness to never admit or back down if they were in the wrong.. is usual. 

OP move house and get on with your life. Let the owner and other neighbours suffer the consequences of this guys noise.

I feel your pain brother and this is why I refuse to ever own property in Thailand unless I could afford to sell it last minute. My personal experience is it's better to just give up and save your sanity in the process. The stress I've caused myself over the years on this issue hasn't been worth it and I should have moved out sooner every time.

Just now, varun said:

Just cut your losses and move into an apartment.

There is no way you can win this battle.

Normal deposit is 2 months - so how do you 'owe' the landlord 6 months deposit?

I think the landlord is trying to put the frighteners on him by saying if you move your only 6 month into contract so you will owe me 6 mths rent.

As stated move lose deposit he cant get 6 months out of you.

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Move lose deposit. You will not owe him 6 months rent at all. 0800 to 2300 is not 24/7.

I suspect it is very annoying for you but tbe guy is trying to make a living. 

you are unaware of whether or not he paid up front.

i have been renting the same house for around 14 years on lower sukhumvit, the last 5 years have been almost non stop condo construction around me culminating in the construction of a house across my small sub soi. 

finally as the construction all came to an end as silence enfolded, the owners of the apartment building behind me decided to put a work shop on the corner of their property that begins cutting and welding metal every morning at 8 am. 

noise is inevitable, there is no respite.