NCPO reaffirms crackdown on ‘corrupt’ beach vendors

Rimmer

NCPO reaffirms crackdown on ‘corrupt’ beach vendors

image.jpeg

PATTAYA:--In case beach chair and umbrella vendors didn’t hear them the first time, the military reaffirmed it is ending the monopoly corrupt local politicians and “influential” families have had on large swaths of Pattaya beaches for decades.

Maj. Gen. Popanan Lueng­panuwat, head of the National Council for Peace and Order in Banglamung, told 200 vendors at an Aug. 22 meeting with police and local officials that they have a limited, government-set term during which they can operate. Once that term is over, so are they.

Popanan, also an appointee to the Pattaya City Council, directed most of his comments to vendors operating on Wong Amat, Koh Larn, Cozy and Pratamnak beaches, who have lagged in complying with new military policies imposed on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches.

Under the new regulations, operators are limited to renting only one 9-by-7-meter plot, forbidden from transferring their franchise to children and relatives, subjected to bidding for their franchise every year, required to put out chairs only on request, and barred from cooking on the beach.

The operators also were told flatly that tourists aren’t required to use their chairs and can sit on blankets or mats anywhere they want on the beach, even in front of the rental chairs. Any vendor caught chasing away non-customers – as several got caught on video doing in recent years – will face stern action, Popanan vowed.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/ncpo-reaffirms-crackdown-corrupt-beach-vendors-184877

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-09-08

When the headline said corrupt beach vendors, I thought they meant the jet skis.  Nope just the chair vendors and once again ignoring the elephant in the room.  My guess is the chair vendors only have influential people, the jet skis have the police as protectors.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Litlos said:

When the headline said corrupt beach vendors, I thought they meant the jet skis.  Nope just the chair vendors and once again ignoring the elephant in the room.  My guess is the chair vendors only have influential people, the jet skis have the police as protectors.

Cheers

I believe they have dealt with the jet ski scam. I've not read about one in a long time. Please correct me if I am wrong!

9 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I believe they have dealt with the jet ski scam. I've not read about one in a long time. Please correct me if I am wrong!

August is the latest definite reference in Pattaya Today.  I will admit I only looked online for about 30 seconds though.  Maybe they are diminishing, but is also low season.  Could not find any references to scammers being before the courts though....

Cheers

the problem is the ''thai sense of ownership''',thais truly believe they are entitled to be law breakers because ''that's the way its been forever''thais drive even faster down one way sois ,because they have been speeding down that same soi for years..so they feel ''entitled''...in a  nation with children policeing  children..what the F do you expect...check bin

On 09/09/2017 at 3:45 PM, mok199 said:

the problem is the ''thai sense of ownership''',thais truly believe they are entitled to be law breakers because ''that's the way its been forever''thais drive even faster down one way sois ,because they have been speeding down that same soi for years..so they feel ''entitled''...in a  nation with children policeing  children..what the F do you expect...check bin

And the M*****ry continue to steal power by usurping the democratic vote...because that's what Always happens when the power elite feels threatened...