Buying Bicycle to Carry in Small Rental Car - Practical?

henrik2000

Hello,

I ponder a solo holiday trip with

• rental car *and*
  • private bicycle

out of Jomtien/Pattaya that could last 3 – 6 weeks, starting roughly mid-November 2017. I wanted to ask you if that's practical at all. I live in the west.

I really love cycling small field tracks and village roads in early morning and late afternoon, stopping at noodle parlours, snack shops, lotus ponds etc. I did so several times in rural areas of southernmost Isaan, upstate Nakhon Sri Thammarat and upcountry Chiang Mai. All very lovely. I speak basic Thai and I navigate with the satellite pics on Google Maps, which works well. With the bicycle, I only plan 4-hour-trips or at most day-trips, I will stay within easy reach of lodge and car. No long-distance bicycling, nothing sporty and ambitious.

I don't need a fancy bicycle at all, just a simple mountain bike with working gears and robust bottom bracket. But the bicycles that you rent from rural tourist lodges are often terrible (I always take them to the next workshop, wait 2 hours and pay 200 THB for an overhaul). Sometimes lodges don't rent out any bicycle at all and in my experience, bicycle shops *never* rent me anything, not even with the offer of a heavy deposit including passport.

So,

• I'd need a car to get to the country lodges etc. and
  • I'd prefer my own bicycle to be independent of the trash cycles (if any) for rent in the tourist lodges.

So I thought I might *buy* a simple mountain bike in Jomtien/Pattaya and carry it around in a rental car (no cycling at all intended in Jomtien/Pattaya itself). I could even try to find a more convenient mtb *with* carrier (for my camera bag) and human-friendly saddle. As for a rental car, I do need a small one. Actually I like Nissan March most, or I could take a Yaris (had both of those in TH before; Nissan March preferred). I don't want a pickup car (which would more easily accommodate an mtb, but is also much more expensive and just too big me).

Some initial questions:

• - Could I buy or rent a basic smooth-working mountain-bike in Jomtien or Pattaya? How much would it be? Is there any chance to re-sell it later *without much fuss* or should I just forget about re-selling the mtb? I'll happily take a second-hand bicycle. If need be, I could go to Chonburi town for mtb shopping, even though I'd prefer to buy in Jomtien/Pattaya. Or perhaps a longterm bicycle rental out of Pattaya would be an alternative? Bringing an mtb from the west seems too complicated, even for a cheap disposable one.
  • Would an mtb fit into the trunk of a Nissan March or Yaris? I had asked around last time in TH and few if any rental car companies rent cars with external bicycle holder (I won't rely on that).

At home in the west, I just tried to shove an mtb into my own tiny sub-economy car. It worked only

• if I took off both bicycle wheels (no big deal, if the bicycle wheels have quick releases) and
  • if I put down the car's backseat's backrest.

But that way there's a good chance to really dirty the car and to damage the car's upholstery or padding. So a bicycle inside a small car seems just so doable (my car is a little smaller than a Nissan March I think), but maybe you have a different experience? (I travel alone with 1 suitcase, so there would be enough space for bicycle *and* luggage).

Thanks for all real-life experience and other related advice!

Edited by henrik2000

There's a (I think) French managed guest house on Soi Lengkee that has a selection of well-maintained bikes for rent. Forgot the name; maybe someone will post it, but just along the street from Retox sports bar.

Fitting a bike in the back of a sub-compact may be workable but it all depends on the full back seat folding down and any cross bars being too restrictive. Get a small, cheap tarp from a hardware shop to throw over the fold down seats to prevent the damage or buy a cheap but thick blanket or beach towel to do the job. Or you could buy a bike cover and wrap the bike in that before shoving it in.

I think you have all the answer yourself in regards to what bike and if it fits in a compact car (got to remove wheels).

If you buy one, it will be hard to resell unless you are piratically giving it away for free at a low cost. Or you might as well just donate it to a nearby school once you are done.

Rent a pick-up truck like the previous poster said, no headaches.

I think you have all the answer yourself in regards to what bike and if it fits in a compact car (got to remove wheels).

If you buy one, it will be hard to resell unless you are piratically giving it away for free at a low cost. Or you might as well just donate it to a nearby school once you are done.

Rent a pick-up truck like the previous poster said, no headaches.
You could buy one of these collapsible bikes, that fit in a big handbag. Stow in the car and use when you like.

I got mine in China and there are lots of cycling groups there who drive to a place and cycle around for a few days.

A good one with 12 gears, solid construction would be the way to go.

Mine has 3 levers that are undone to fold it out.4ea062cd1feff8193442f2d014711a47.jpg697a6944616247342b9f009c6a0aab99.jpg6c1a21157424606aaaf70a995c391d97.jpgac9d025e83e44fbb3bad708de4e14c30.jpgf6080b2118db2ff36406c5a6d8a4fb04.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Just now, carlyai said:

You could buy one of these collapsible bikes, that fit in a big handbag. Stow in the car and use when you like.

I got mine in China and there are lots of cycling groups there who drive to a place and cycle around for a few days.

A good one with 12 gears, solid construction would be the way to go.

Mine has 3 levers that are undone to fold it out.4ea062cd1feff8193442f2d014711a47.jpg697a6944616247342b9f009c6a0aab99.jpg6c1a21157424606aaaf70a995c391d97.jpgac9d025e83e44fbb3bad708de4e14c30.jpgf6080b2118db2ff36406c5a6d8a4fb04.jpg

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

The OP sound like he wants a MTB for offroad conditions. These won't do that well, but they are indeed good road bikes and fits everywhere. If the OP decides that he won't be doing that much offroading, then yes these are good suggestions. I've bought some from a 2nd hand store that imported bikes from japan, they are good quality and cost me around 2000 baht couple years ago. 

Hi all, thanks for some very good detailed information including links, bicycle models and photos!

Re pickups, as written in my original post, i don't like them much because

- they're much more expensive to rent (2000 vs. 800 THB/day)

- they're too big

Re the foldable bike, it seems to be nice for urban scenarios, and it would be so handy for stowing. But on bicycle i really like to poke around rice fields, just following the tracks on satellite pics. That's mostly dirt and gravel. I did that a lot already. I believe a foldable bike wouldn't be ideal there. (I don't do anything strenuous or ambitious, but i might step hard into the pedals getting uphill and had had a few bizarrely soft bottom brackets before).

Thanks again!

I have a mtb that cost me 12 k. Its from Rayong City Bike. Alu frame, Shimano shifter, disk brakes.. Seen an almost identical bike at Tesco this week for 7 k. But that may be temporary. You will not find it cheaper. Forget the foldable bikes.

Dont think you can fit a mtb in a March. And if you could, be carefull not to make scratches. They will make you pay... Now my 12 k mtb (1 year old and perfect condition ) would sell for 6 k max at Collingbourne Auctioneers. You can google that. So 1. Easy to buy a decent enough mtb for 7 to 12 k bath. 2. You will need a truck or similar in yerms of space. 3. You will lose at least 50% when selling.

I go on my bike every day. Located 40 km east of Pattaya along the beach. Can go for a 2 hour ride with you. In case you want to try out a mtb before starting your trip.

Good luck.

If it turns out that renting a bike is too much of a problem, you might consider bringing your own bike from Germany (this assumes that you have one).

I've brought mountain bikes to Thailand twice, from the USA. I put them in a cardboard bike box. It's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it if you have a good enough bike and you are going to ride a lot. 

Take care. 

Goldbear, thanks for suggesting.

In this case, as i will do only short 4 hour trips, i think it doesn't make too much sense to bring a bicycle from the west.

I had had bicycles on planes when i set out for multi-day bicycling "treks". But all in all it is some hassle to take a bicycle on a flight, and obviously in Thailand you can get a usable enough new bike for 5 - 8000 THB, so simply buying (after a test-drive) would save a lot of headache (even if it can't be sold later).

2 hours ago, Goldbear said:

Good luck.

If it turns out that renting a bike is too much of a problem, you might consider bringing your own bike from Germany (this assumes that you have one).

I've brought mountain bikes to Thailand twice, from the USA. I put them in a cardboard bike box. It's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it if you have a good enough bike and you are going to ride a lot. 

Take care. 

On 9/9/2017 at 7:31 PM, Ridge said:

Forget the foldable bikes.

Unless it's a Montague. I bought mine in the US and brought it over years ago, around $650 these days (I note it has front shocks now... mine doesn't). They also have a top-of-the-line model with disc brakes for about $2500!

MONTAGUE.jpg.7d64fcf0f6211d9333b985474cd8dc02.jpg

With all the bad roads and big potholes , I would want a bike with 24-26 inch  or larger tires....

WHY ,   because the small 16-20 inch tires have a better chance of getting stuck in a hole and you going over the handlebars and crashing.....

Face plants are no fun !

On 09/09/2017 at 9:48 PM, henrik2000 said:

Ridge, thanks for your thoughts and for your suggestion! I will reply more once my trip dates are fixed.

Ok. If you need info and i don't respond, send me a personal message. Means i am no longer following this topic.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless it's a Montague. I bought mine in the US and brought it over years ago, around $650 these days (I note it has front shocks now... mine doesn't). They also have a top-of-the-line model with disc brakes for about $2500!

MONTAGUE.jpg.7d64fcf0f6211d9333b985474cd8dc02.jpg

This is not for a 1 time holliday and then sell.

4 hours ago, Ridge said:

This is not for a 1 time holliday and then sell.

Agreed :)

But the bike is intruiging - didn't know foldables do come in this style too.

Edited by Rimmer
Photos removed as per the poster request

4 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Agreed :)

But the bike is intruiging - didn't know foldables do come in this style too.

I remember seeing this bike at the Las Vegas International trade bike show many years back, they were showing it in camouflage colors and were trying to pitch it to the military. It was expensive back then.

I was there because at the time I owned five retail bike stores and imported MTBs and accessories into Singapore.

Easy to bring a bike in a box or a bike bag into Thailand on the airplane as long as it is not new.

If you are considering buying a bike here remember that low price MTBs that are sold in the major stores usually have low end parts on them that are difficult to adjust and give problems when you are riding, I am sure you know this. 

Both wheels and the seat post should have QR skewers for easy disassembly, the frame and parts can then easily be put in to a small car

Buy a sturdy plastic sheet from any HomePro shop to protect the rental car interior

There is a pro style bike shop on the North bound carriageway of Sukhumvit at the corner of soi 54 about 2km before lotus and just after the 'Train Resort' hotel place that is run by an ex pat, he might be able to rent you a decent bike or do a buy back on one of his.

Here is a picture of his store, it is called Bike Net

BikeNet.jpg

Rimmer, thx for considerations and suggestions.

The Montague bike photo above inspired me to look more into foldables. I had believed these are only 20" toy bikes for a bit of park circling, but there are much sturdier ones now availabe, up to 27,5" (for my rice-field hopping, it should be 24" or 26").

Having a foldable bike might make things easier considering that i don't want a rental larger than Yaris or Honda Jazz and actually much prefer Nissan March.

*Bringing* a foldable bike by airplane would just-so be doable if the foldable is in some kind of regular airplane-fit travel bag, preferrably trolley. Bringing a regular bike, it would be in carton box and it would be too much hassle to get it from home to airport etc.

I noted in my online research that there's a fantastic brick-and-mortar foldable-bikes-dealer 1 hour from my current home and i might take a look there. Still a foldable bike bought in Jomtien/Pattaya would be easier.

The consensus seems that regular (not foldable) MTBs for 5000 - 8000 THB are ok for a while, and that was my impression with various rental bikes i had in small Thai lodges (bikes looked terribly cheap, but after a first workshop stop performed decent enough for my purposes). On the other hand, for 5000 THB you could rent a nice bike for quite a while, and perhaps get it outfitted to your style (basket, soft seat, dirt catcher, stand).

These are just various musings and i hope to come back here with more questions once things have taken on more shape.

Edited by henrik2000

If you bring your own mtb into Thailand, you will have to show an invoice and pay tax. Some people tried claiming "no invoice anymore" to avoid that. Then you would be at the mercy of the custums officer, you don't want the bike to be stuck at the airport. Just my thoughts.

Ridge, thanks for that important hint! I didn't fully think about that. (Even though i never paid tax for the camera and laptop i bring in.)

Just for example... the invoice for the bicycle would be in Euro currency, and i could still produce the invoice. Let's say the invoice had the equivalence of

• 24.000 THB or
  • 50.000 THB

Do you know how much tax would be on that? Or do you have an example for tax paid for a value around that ballpark?

Do you know if i get the tax back when i depart and still have the bicycle with me?

Thanks!

PS. FWIW, i plan on entering with a 30 days visa waiver and extend to 30 or 30+10 more days in-country (which i did several times before, and i would process it upcountry) (aware of available 60 days tourist visas from Thai embassies abroad).

16 minutes ago, Ridge said:

If you bring your own mtb into Thailand, you will have to show an invoice and pay tax. Some people tried claiming "no invoice anymore" to avoid that. Then you would be at the mercy of the custums officer, you don't want the bike to be stuck at the airport. Just my thoughts.

Edited by henrik2000

I have googled it but...seems more complicated than expected. There is import duty, special duty, interior tax, excise and VAT. I don't dare giving you a figure but if you end up paying less than 40-50%, consider yourself lucky.

Maybe somebody will tell us about their own actual experience. Just dont believe it when it sound too good. A lot of bullshit been told here. Boredom, frustration, jealousy...

I have imported 2 dogs from Europe. Took me several months to get the correct information and import license. When i asked questions by email,  some cargo company contected me. Obviously, they got a tip off. Anyways, did not let them handle it because of very high price. Once on the ground in Bkk , had to clear duty in a small office. Paid what he asked. When i walked through the area where they check luggage, i was stopped and had to pay again. So yes, they do charge import duty, VAT etc. And they do have "price lists" in case you dont have an invoice. My dogs were 10 years old.

When in doubt about the invoice amount, custom officers can pull you aside and make you lose time. So don't underinvoice too much.

I am convinced bringing a new mtb will be much more expensive than buying it here. 

If you intend to come again in the future, i can suggest that you buy a mtb here, sell it to somebody you know, and rent it of them. Do you get what i am trying to say ? 2 parties can go to a bicycle shop together and agree on everything before you actually buy the mtb. Since you will sell him the mtb, not much risk of being cheated. And since you will want to rent it in the future, thr buyer will be happy too. Win win

8 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Ridge, thanks for the effort and for describing your experiences.

And i fully understand, even if someone now reported how he brought a bike through Thai customs, the next one's experience might differ a lot from that.

Yes. Different day, different officer, bad luck, good luck, busy in the airport, officer does not like your face.... it seems quite random sometimes. 

5 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

I think if you come in as a tourist with a bike , Thai Customs would probably not care as they think you are going to take it back with you....

If you are living in Thailand , and Customs happens to stop you , it might go the other way.......

Possible. But its like buying a lottery ticket when you need money.