How Many Thais Does It Take......

Physherman

I've made a slight change in the topic title (added description) because I think we need more stories like this and hope it will invite more to read it.

I'm reminded that living in a foreign culture is requires one to make a daily personal decision as to whether he/she will look at the glass as half-empty or half-full.

Nay-sayers, and "half-empty"mindsets would be just as disgruntled in their home countries. Thanks for feeding the collective expatriate need to boost that daily optimism! There certainly is a LOT to be optimistic about here.

I am about to risk of being perceived as trying to dampen everyone's spirits. I assure you that is not the case. I've been moved by the tales on this thread, and will continue to be regardless of the answers to the questions I am about to ask, but I am a newcomer in Thailand and, moved by a desire to have a broad and full perspective on things, I find myself wondering about a couple of questions, or perhaps it is really just one question. Are the tellers of these tales all farang? Are they people who would appear to Thais to be relatively well-to-do and socially respected people? Might the answers to these questions have anything to do with the treatment accorded them? Put differently, do Thais treat other Thais, and in particular other Thais who do not fit into the category of apparently well-to-do and socially respected, in as helpful and considerate a way as in the tales told here?

Are the tellers of these tales all farang? Are they people who would appear to Thais to be relatively well-to-do and socially respected people? Might the answers to these questions have anything to do with the treatment accorded them? Put differently, do Thais treat other Thais, and in particular other Thais who do not fit into the category of apparently well-to-do and socially respected, in as helpful and considerate a way as in the tales told here?

It's a sound question Rasseru and reasonable to wonder. In my case there were 6 of us and I was the only farang. Since we were camping I wasn't wearing my finest garb, just jeans and pullover shirt and sandles, wet and covered in mud. My car is not a hi-so car, pretty standard really. As far as they knew I could have been a backpacker. Honestly, I don't think it mattered to them.

I am about to risk of being perceived as trying to dampen everyone's spirits. I assure you that is not the case. I've been moved by the tales on this thread, and will continue to be regardless of the answers to the questions I am about to ask, but I am a newcomer in Thailand and, moved by a desire to have a broad and full perspective on things, I find myself wondering about a couple of questions, or perhaps it is really just one question. Are the tellers of these tales all farang? Are they people who would appear to Thais to be relatively well-to-do and socially respected people? Might the answers to these questions have anything to do with the treatment accorded them? Put differently, do Thais treat other Thais, and in particular other Thais who do not fit into the category of apparently well-to-do and socially respected, in as helpful and considerate a way as in the tales told here?

People who travel on 4 wheels help people who travel on 2 wheels. People who travel on 2 wheels help people who travel on 4 wheels. Walkers likewise. Well-to-do AND socially respected is very relative and not very relevent. Respect and compassion are. A whole lot of people help people in need, and a lot of Thais wonderfully helpful. It makes good feelings and kharma. Slow down and you will probably see it every day. If not, get out into the country a bit and it is very hard to miss.

Wow! No dampening of spirit at all! It's evocative! I'm as western as mom's apply pie, but our car isn't anything special, and has seen many winters, (all the cars that stopped, and most of the trucks, were much, much newer and more expensive,) nor do I dress anyway different from most of my Thai friends. I believe it is a genuine communal spirit that germinates within people during times of serious need. While you don't see it one the roads in the USA, it does go on with most other serious matters, and wherever and whenever a group of people are thrown together for any critical liefe threatening reason; they bond immediately. Unfortunately this intimate group of brothers usually disolves completely after the crisis is solved, and never meets one another member again.

I think I'll go eat some worms.

The Fly Fisherman

What a heart warming thread to find, after pouring through all the replies and respones from "The Nattering Nabobes of Negativism". Thai small village people are the true heart and soul of Thailand. Pitty so many tourists concentrate their visit in the large cities (BKK, CM etc) and dont really exprience "THE REAL THAILAND" by getting off the beaten track.

What a heart warming thread to find, after pouring through all the replies and respones from "The Nattering Nabobes of Negativism". Thai small village people are the true heart and soul of Thailand. Pitty so many tourists concentrate their visit in the large cities (BKK, CM etc) and dont really exprience "THE REAL THAILAND" by getting off the beaten track.

Maybe you need to 'get out' more... For I have found the real thailand exists in Bkk and Chiang Mai. Simply open your eyes. Friendly folks around everywhere, in my experience :o