You think you're speaking English but you're actually speaking American!

Jingthing

56 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

Well this seems to have devolved into an anti American thread.

I am surprised that so many of you are so attached to your country of origin considering that most of you don't even live in your country of origin. 

And of course everyone is perfect from your countries. I have never seen English or Australians in Thailand acting like complete a**holes before. 

I have friends from all these countries and I don't make much of a distinction between them based on nationality. Good people are good people. 

Happy Sunday. 

It's interesting.  Most Americans really like Brits and Australians.  It's hilarious how Brits look down on Americans (and just about everybody else :)   But, Americans would be shocked at how much Australians dislike them.  Still don't understand why.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, rijb said:

It's interesting.  Most Americans really like Brits and Australians.  It's hilarious how Brits look down on Americans (and just about everybody else :)   But, Americans would be shocked at how much Australians dislike them.  Still don't understand why.

I don't dislike all Americans. Just the ones who are up themselves, like the grand celestial elliptical oozle bird.

8 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I don't dislike all Americans. Just the ones who are up themselves, like the grand celestial elliptical oozle bird.

That's a universal disease, not confined to national borders.

Edited by rijb

2 hours ago, rijb said:

That's a universal disease, not confined to national borders.

True enough. It's just that some Americans seem to flourish it as a badge of honour.

The problem with Australians arises because they have well-developed BS detectors, and react accordingly. It's well-nigh impossible for an American to understand the Aussie sense of humour, even the Brits have trouble occasionally.

Edited by bazza73
spelling

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I think some respect is in order. Obviously, you have none for the blood and treasure spent in support of America.

Yes we did get a mutual defence treaty as part of the deal. However, given America's record with other pacts, permit me to doubt if it will be honoured if push comes to shove. The USA has always acted out of self-interest.

I've travelled to the USA numerous times, and met Americans from many walks of life. For the most part, they were very hospitable. I used to play golf with an American who was one of the most affable people I've ever met. Sadly, he was killed here in a motorbike accident. I still miss him.

I hope it's a minority; however, there are the blowhards and braggarts who typify the Ugly American. A term invented by Americans, it does have a wider meaning now. Welcome to the club.

Did you read my last sentence; to me, this was about UK vs. US English; you brought Oz into it and somehow jumped to no respect for Oz troops for all the support they gave US. Okay, let’s dance.

I worked with SASR in Vietnam and may know more about their participation there than you. I did not then nor do I now think they were pantywastes; however, Oz was and still remains small in population and out of the way.

Yeah, America is so terrible; that’s why in WWII when Churchill stated the UK would defend the UK and Australia could fend for itself that Curtin pleaded for American help—so you so graciously housed American troops, ordnance and supplies, did you huh? Well, thanks.

As far as Americans being braggarts, that may be true, because they have reason to believe they are best—strongest economy, strongest military, leaders in social change, business, technology, and entertainment; the hegemon of the world. Now, much through our sharing knowledge and resources with other countries, the US has lost some of its greatness and is fighting to stay on top. However, Americans still believe in their greatness.

As far as me being a braggart, I agree; I do so just to stir the pot, as it were, but also because I believe I have done well in my life. I started out lower-middle class; through my own intelligence and hard work, I managed to acquire a good education, hold lucrative jobs, make sound investments and retire at 42. I have been lucky, or smart, with love, health and finances. Now, some 30 years later, I still live the way I choose, owe no one, and am able to leave my family more than I had. 

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Don't be an a hole (and that's my "language" :smile:) with your comments. The world doesn't revolve around the USA despite what some of its citizens think. 

Duh! The use of alterntive spelling is not limited to American English. Having installed MS Office on many computers, the default maybe American English but it can be changed. Your comment is as worthless as tits on a bull. :smile:

It certainly seems the world revolves around the US, doesn't it? How many barstewards even know the president of another country; yet all know Trump. It seems much of the free world, especially the English-speaking world, plead for American support in everything they do.

Yeah, sorry, I could not resist. Talking to a Brit last month, I almost choked on my drink,  he was complaining his new computer spoke American.

28 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Did you read my last sentence; to me, this was about UK vs. US English; you brought Oz into it and somehow jumped to no respect for Oz troops for all the support they gave US. Okay, let’s dance.

I worked with SASR in Vietnam and may know more about their participation there than you. I did not then nor do I now think they were pantywastes; however, Oz was and still remains small in population and out of the way.

Yeah, America is so terrible; that’s why in WWII when Churchill stated the UK would defend the UK and Australia could fend for itself that Curtin pleaded for American help—so you so graciously housed American troops, ordnance and supplies, did you huh? Well, thanks.

As far as Americans being braggarts, that may be true, because they have reason to believe they are best—strongest economy, strongest military, leaders in social change, business, technology, and entertainment; the hegemon of the world. Now, much through our sharing knowledge and resources with other countries, the US has lost some of its greatness and is fighting to stay on top. However, Americans still believe in their greatness.

As far as me being a braggart, I agree; I do so just to stir the pot, as it were, but also because I believe I have done well in my life. I started out lower-middle class; through my own intelligence and hard work, I managed to acquire a good education, hold lucrative jobs, make sound investments and retire at 42. I have been lucky, or smart, with love, health and finances. Now, some 30 years later, I still live the way I choose, owe no one, and am able to leave my family more than I had. 

I was making the point Australians have their own form of English. As I've said in another post, I've visited America multiple times.

Yes, America has much to be proud of. It also has a lot to be ashamed of.  I'm sensitive about our contribution to America's defence being dismissed as insignificant. You're sensitive when outsiders point out the very real warts America has. For example, you're kidding yourself if you think a nation with tens of trillions of dollars of debt is the world's strongest economy. Or that a nation that puts its mentally ill people on the street is great. If you are as smart as you claim to be, you would surely be able to see that.

I  live the way I choose, and owe no one. 

When you say you like to stir the pot, you should not be surprised when someone stirs counter-clockwise.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

If you are trying to defend your country against the US bashers, you are not really doing a good job.... you are rather confirming their prejudices.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

If you are trying to defend your country against the US bashers, you are not really doing a good job.... you are rather confirming their prejudices.

Yeah, I'll second that! Comes over as...what do they in the US...oh yes...'one hell of a selfish son of a b***h'.

2 hours ago, smotherb said:

It certainly seems the world revolves around the US, doesn't it? How many barstewards even know the president of another country; yet all know Trump. It seems much of the free world, especially the English-speaking world, plead for American support in everything they do.

Yeah, sorry, I could not resist. Talking to a Brit last month, I almost choked on my drink,  he was complaining his new computer spoke American.

Of course we all know Donald T Rump - he is one of the world's great motor mouths, running unfortunately second only to the North Korean idiot!

And T Rump pleads for the rest of world support (via the U.N.) in what he wants to do!

So, lets call it quits or equal. :1zgarz5:

3 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I was making the point Australians have their own form of English. As I've said in another post, I've visited America multiple times.

Yes, America has much to be proud of. It also has a lot to be ashamed of.  I'm sensitive about our contribution to America's defence being dismissed as insignificant. You're sensitive when outsiders point out the very real warts America has. For example, you're kidding yourself if you think a nation with tens of trillions of dollars of debt is the world's strongest economy. Or that a nation that puts its mentally ill people on the street is great. If you are as smart as you claim to be, you would surely be able to see that.

I  live the way I choose, and owe no one. 

When you say you like to stir the pot, you should not be surprised when someone stirs counter-clockwise.

Yes, I actually enjoy a fellow stirrer. I have only visited Oz once, a long tome ago with an SASR buddy from Vietnam. However, I have known many Ozzies from my 30-odd years in SEA. So, I do realize you have your own form of English, but being spoken by so few people who are so far away it may be overlooked. I am not saying that America has no faults; hell, what place is without fault? Neither am I saying we are still the world's hegemon--many of the attributes to hegemony are shared by other nations. If you compare the EU against the US, the EU had the greatest economy before the UK left it; but if you count NAFTA, then they are a greater economy than the EU, even with the UK. There are many things about the US for which I hold little pride; I am not proud of the way we treated our natives, of whom my ancestors were part; I am not proud that we still have so much bigotry and hatred, how we have some of the best universities and dumbest people, how we elected Trump, and many other things. Those are some of the many reasons I do not live there. However, I would not trade my US citizenship for another.

3 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Don't have to defend the US against the bashers; if the US were not so great there would not be so many. Much of the bashing is jealousy, and the US has many things to bash. However, what other country has given so much to so many others?  I think the bashers have little room to complain; what have their countries done for the rest of us?

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

Of course we all know Donald T Rump - he is one of the world's great motor mouths, running unfortunately second only to the North Korean idiot!

And T Rump pleads for the rest of world support (via the U.N.) in what he wants to do!

So, lets call it quits or equal. :1zgarz5:

You forgot to mention how you plead for American support.

9 hours ago, rijb said:

Jealousy, I reckon; especially from the Brit standpoint. Here we are an uppity colony who has outdone its former master. The master who, just 100 years ago, was the greatest economic power in the world; now they are what, number five  or six in the world? The Ozzies, I am not sure.

7 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Jealousy, I reckon; especially from the Brit standpoint. Here we are an uppity colony who has outdone its former master. The master who, just 100 years ago, was the greatest economic power in the world; now they are what, number five  or six in the world? The Ozzies, I am not sure.

Oh please.  Well, whatever you have to tell yourself I guess.

2 minutes ago, Slip said:

Oh please.  Well, whatever you have to tell yourself I guess.

I said " . . . jealousy, I reckon." Glad you noticed that; however, what about the UK's slip to second rate nation is what I am telling myself?

The UK ranks number 27 in the world--GDP per capita

http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-richest-countries-in-the-world-2017-3/#1-qatar-gdp-per-capita-129726-105791-30

And, if for some reason the US takes pity on the UK and allows it to become the 51st state; you'd be be poorer than any other state--GDP per capita
https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2014/08/25/britain-is-poorer-than-any-us-state-yes-even-mississippi/#1f594cb835ef

Don't have to defend the US against the bashers; if the US were not so great there would not be so many. Much of the bashing is jealousy, and the US has many things to bash. However, what other country has given so much to so many others?  I think the bashers have little room to complain; what have their countries done for the rest of us?

QUOTE:  what have their countries done for the rest of us?

ANSWER: they populated your country. Without them, you would now be bragging about red Indians.

QUOTE: what have their countries done for the rest of us?

Really, you are asking for it:

just wait for the actual Brexit and the resurrection of the British Empire!  :crazy:

On 9/14/2017 at 8:53 PM, Ace of Pop said:

There was a time in England when i went back the Posh Girls had lost the ability to say YES..I was mesmerized by all these Dolly Mops saying OK Yah, not a clear Pristine YES.!.Nice comment TBL.?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you sure it's not just you Ace?

Most of my proposition to "Posh Girls" are met with an enthusiastic "YES!!":laugh:

12 hours ago, smotherb said:

Actually, I think it is Trump who is pleading for support. He is saying - and he does have a point - that the cost of the USA maintaining a military presence in places such as Germany is too high, and wealthy nations like Germany should do more.

Who would have thought it - I'm agreeing with something the man says.

13 hours ago, smotherb said:

Jeez stop acting like a cretin and take your blinkers off! 

Kiwis don't, to answer your comment. If you've got any more smart-assed comments, keep them to yourself because you're fitting more and more of your foot into your mouth. :smile:

17 hours ago, smotherb said:

Jealousy, I reckon; especially from the Brit standpoint

I think you are way off point with your Brit views.  I still live in the UK 6 months of the year and the general feeling I hear towards our cousins across the pond is nothing but  respect.  Admittedly we Brits do like to banter and maybe sometimes this may go over our American friends heads and be taken as offence .   But in reality nothing but love for the US on the ground here in the UK mate. ?

Sorry about  my punctuation ect but my iPad is set to  British English default.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE:  what have their countries done for the rest of us?

ANSWER: they populated your country. Without them, you would now be bragging about red Indians.

Or did they run those people out of their country and the US gave those people the opportunities for bettering themselves?

7 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Actually, I think it is Trump who is pleading for support. He is saying - and he does have a point - that the cost of the USA maintaining a military presence in places such as Germany is too high, and wealthy nations like Germany should do more.

Who would have thought it - I'm agreeing with something the man says.

Yes, I agree the US spends too much on trying to be the world's policeman; and we are still in Japan and South Korea too. However, I certainly am not a Trump fan, but neither was I a Hillary fan; so you can imagine my disgust at the candidates the US proffered.

6 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Jeez stop acting like a cretin and take your blinkers off! 

Kiwis don't, to answer your comment. If you've got any more smart-assed comments, keep them to yourself because you're fitting more and more of your foot into your mouth. :smile:

I believe they call your complaint hard feces. Do some reading of history. My comments were about Oz, not Nz. However, the same applies, the UK gave you up for grabs to the Japanese--do you think NZ could have repulsed a Japanese invasion?