You think you're speaking English but you're actually speaking American!

Jingthing

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

I think Russia is responsible for its own transgressions, including military exercises right next to you, and digital interference with all of our elections, including fake Facebook accounts inciting hatred of immigrants or whoever. But Europeans never blame Russia for anything, because a third of Russia including Moscow is part of Europe, and the United States, of course, consists of primitive cowboys.

I also don't understand what Russia wants at the moment. Sweden is also have large army excercises at the moment.

We do blame Russia though and they sure are not our friends. Also we don't consider Russia to Europeans, they are Russians and we rarely hear news about them.

But i don't understand the beef between Russia and Europe, guess it's about countries willing to be in the EU instead of Russia and that pisses Putin off.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Well, many non-Americans complain that we have simplified too many words such as "check" instead of "cheque" and all the "our" words like labour/labor, etc., and program vs. programme.

Yeah, why not waste letters must be their thought. You mention the "our" words. I always ask is that pronounced like the word "our" or like the word "or"?

American and British English evolved separately until television

came along in my opinion.  There was a good discussion on the

Skeptic mailing list which is roughly composed of one third

Americans, one third British, and one third English speaks from

elsewhere such as Australia and Canada.

Last month at the S&P restaurant at Praram 9 Hospital in Bangkok

the counter person asked me if I wanted my order as "go away".  If she had asked me in Thai I could have easily answered.  After chuckling I said better to ask "eat here" or "take away".

I moonlighted at the American Red Cross communications center

in Washington, DC from 1974 to 1977.  We either worked the phone

room taking messages from the 2,500 or so Red Cross chapters or

the teletype room fat-fingering, I mean, transcribing, those phone

room messages into teletype format, producing a paper copy and

a chad less punched paper tape.  I enjoyed working the phone room

as the variety of accents was a marvel to hear.  The upper Midwest,

the Northwest, and, of course, the South were always entertaining.

One frequent caller from a chapter in Iowa had the most seductive

and youthful sounding voice.  She visited us once and was about

75 years old.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:20 AM, StreetCowboy said:

You've got a fair point, JT.  For all our arrogant posturing, now our language is being affected more by American norms than vice versa.

I'm equally as upset at the impact on our country's regional dialects by the insidious influence of nationalised television.  We can all talk like scousers or cockneys, but can we still tell the difference from people from the next town by the way that they talk?

SC 

My strike thru.

"English" as a language is a forever evolving language. Like it or not it has and probably always will be so.

English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain in the fifth-to-seventh centuries CE by Germanic invaders and settlers from what is now northwest Germany, west Denmark and the Netherlands, displacing the Celtic languagesthat previously predominated.

59bb69e9d6d75_Englishlanguagehistory.gif.cb59d4e068cc81ca5bb4b6314403673e.gif

On 9/10/2017 at 7:01 AM, partington said:

I nearly had a heart attack when my niece, born and bred in the UK started mentioning her school's "prom"!

UK schools are now having these only because they've seen it on TV from the US - they had no existence in the UK until about 10 years ago.

Now that's colonisation!

"Proms" must have arrived before 1994.

That was when I started work in a school and found, to my horror, that the older pupils were all looking forward to one.

Like all plagues they had a point of arrival (I'm guessing somewhere in the South) and spread.

That was when it began to dawn on me that "my" world was passing away.

Note: The word "pupil", in this context, denotes a child at secondary school.

Edited by Enoon

Just now, nasanews said:

American english has developed from British english and thank God for that because british cut their words so it becomes extremely hard to understand.

How dare you!  haha

Anyway it's called English for a reason and that won't change, I mean, Shakespeare was English don't you know

8340a459871aa84d8979e88157b0fd21.png

The main point here is that English is an evolving language, unlike Thai, Chinese and so on. Its origins are as diverse as its ability to be used to invent new words. It had a rather minor Norse influence, through Old French, Greek, Latin an so on. Even though the Viking influence is the least it did give rise to some words we wouldn't want to lose;'skin', 'cake', 'egg', 'husband', 'kid', 'give '( and 'take') and a lot more. In recent decades English has adopted words (as new words) to describe science topics, sports, travel and as mentioned other comments above eating & drinking. Take for example something we've seen in the news quite often lately, 'road rage'. Before there were thoroughfares and traffic there was no such term. These days there is even 'trolley rage'! So it is still evolving and the so called Americanization is just another step in its journey.

6 hours ago, leither69 said:

You're wrong,  the perfect English is spoken by people from inverness

Yes definitely wrong, i don't know about Inverness but some Irish accents are pretty clear i am London born and bred but get took for an Australian on occasions by non-English speakers

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

I don't like the fact that a lot of the variation of American across the country has been lost. Being able to tell what state someone is from is not as easy as it used to be. 

In Thailand usually if I order food  "to go" (American) Thais will not comprehend, but if I say "take away" they will.

Fun.

Yes "Take Away" Anglo English or British Similarly i asked a girl in Tescos here in Thailand for Batteries in my best pronunciation, she did'nt have a clue what i was asking for, when i said battaly she knew immediately!  

32 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

A Chav is someone pretending to be a classy, a Wally is basically a fool, a w+nker  is a term used for not doing the real thing (mastibating) as in a sexual act, as is tosser! 

mastibating? :cheesy: