First time retirement visa and addresses

I am a retired dual USA/UK citizen over the age of 50, currently in Laos on an extended tourist visa. Having made a few tourist trips to Thailand over the last few years, I have decided that my next step is to hopefully spend a year plus in Jomtien on a retirement visa. My plan is as follows:

1 - Fly back to BKK from Vientiane and get a visa exempt stamp there.
2 - Stay in BKK and get my US income of $2500 verified at the USA embassy. I do have a Thai bank account, but that currently has a minimal amount in it. Although I will transfer over about $10,000 into that next week.
3 - Go to Jomtien and find a 'temporary' address at one of the monthly rate guesthouses.
4 - Return to BKK and apply for a 90 day Type O, non-immigrant visa, then back to Jomtien.
5 - Return to BKK after a couple of weeks and get my visa stamp
6 - After the 60 days are up on that, return to BKK and extend to a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” for 1 year.

I do however have a few additional questions of which the main one is about addresses. I most certainly at some point would like to get a 12 month (possibly shorter) condo rental in Jomtien, but I am very nervous about doing any such thing prior to completing step 6, on the basis that if any of my visas were denied, I'd presumably have to swallow any lease costs and/or penalties. Is that wise or do you think I am safer to start that earlier? And can I do that on a visa exempt stamp?

I'd much rather get a condo set as soon as possible before the peak winter season starts.

I was assuming that the safest thing to do was as noted in step 3, which i was hoping would be acceptable at immigration if the guesthouse can provide some sort of address confirmation for me. I am nervous about what validation i need for an acceptable address to immigration? And what qualifies as acceptable?

I feel that the 30 days from the visa exempt is sufficient for me as I'm feeling that in 10 days or less I can get ready for the requirements for the 90 day Type O, non-immigrant visa application done. Or do you think I should get a 60 day tourist stamp from Vientiane?

I am fine with going back and forth to BKK for all of this as my nephew lives there. I'm not sure if any of the above steps are possible to do at the Jomtien office, aside from hearing horror stories about one lady there!

Many Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

You are sadly lacking in your knowledge of the requirements to obtain an

extension of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, it is not

a VISA, there is no such thing as a retirement VISA.

I have attached a file detailing the requirements to obtain an extension of

your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement.

It is quite detailed but may not be exactly what you require for the immigration

office where you will be making your application, for example most offices do

not require a medical cert.

You will have to ask at the office you intend to apply to.

As already said you cannot apply for a long term non imm O-A visa in Thailand

and this is not a retirement VISA though often incorrectly referred to as such.

5905f660ed862_DocumentsforExtension-Retirement.docx

• Like 1

Why are you wanting to everything at immigration in Bangkok if you are living in Jomtien. Bangkok immigration will not do anything for you unless you have an address for Bangkok.

The end result will be a extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa.

You will have to do everything at Jomtien immigration.

I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane instead of getting a 30 day visa exempt entry to give your more time to get things done.

Your 4 will actually be applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. To apply for it at Jomtien you will need to have the consular officer signature on your income affidavit certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA in Bangkok. 

You need to make an an appointment to do the income affidavit at the US embassy. Info for getting the income affidavit is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Appointments is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

• Like 1

You do not need the 10,000 in the account if you qualify for the monthly.

I believe you can do all of this in Jomtien ( I did with some assistance) why go back and forth to BKK?  I could be wrong.

I have a buddy who did his address same as you are thinking.  Not a bad idea but if your landlord does not report your address to immigration, you will be delayed until you pay a 1600 b fine.

Good luck.  If you go to the Jomtien office, go to the left at the front of the offices there.  There are people, mostly filipinos, who will help you with everything for a minimal fee.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

The Non-Imm O-A Extension of Stay based upon Retirement can only be obtained at Thai Embassy or Consulate. 

Yes, I was aware of that. Sorry I was just being lazy when I put in BKK rather than putting in the Laksi immigration office.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Why are you wanting to everything at immigration in Bangkok if you are living in Jomtien. Bangkok immigration will not do anything for you unless you have an address for Bangkok.

The end result will be a extension of stay based upon retirement not a OA visa.

You will have to do everything at Jomtien immigration.

I suggest you get a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane instead of getting a 30 day visa exempt entry to give your more time to get things done.

Your 4 will actually be applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry. To apply for it at Jomtien you will need to have the consular officer signature on your income affidavit certified by the department of consular affairs of the MFA in Bangkok. 

You need to make an an appointment to do the income affidavit at the US embassy. Info for getting the income affidavit is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/income-affidavit/

Appointments is here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

My nephew is very close to the Don Muang airport, so I was more than happy to come up and see him. Wasn't worried about the travel time, but I was not aware that a Jomtien address would need to be handled at Jomtien . I mistakenly assumed that the main Bangkok Laksi office would be fine for anywhere. So many thanks for that.

I had already checked the available times at the US embassy for their income notarization, but appreciate the links.

What is the deal with valid addresses? Is a guesthouse acceptable and if so, is that better and safer than trying to sort out a long term condo rental early in the process?

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I believe you can do all of this in Jomtien ( I did with some assistance) why go back and forth to BKK?  I could be wrong.

I have a buddy who did his address same as you are thinking.  Not a bad idea but if your landlord does not report your address to immigration, you will be delayed until you pay a 1600 b fine.

Good luck.  If you go to the Jomtien office, go to the left at the front of the offices there.  There are people, mostly filipinos, who will help you with everything for a minimal fee.

Yes, I knew that wasn't necessary, but I just want to be sure that I have plenty of cash available for condo rental and other co-incidentals over the next couple of months.

Good to know that you were able to get it done at Jomtien. I was nervous with some of the storIes I read about there on this forum. 

Thanks for the warning on the fine regarding the address. I'm a little scared on relying on landlords or owners of guest house to notify immigration. As I assume they will automatically say yes they do that just to get room taken.

3 hours ago, phuketjock said:

You are sadly lacking in your knowledge of the requirements to obtain an

extension of your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement, it is not

a VISA, there is no such thing as a retirement VISA.

I have attached a file detailing the requirements to obtain an extension of

your permission to stay on the grounds of retirement.

It is quite detailed but may not be exactly what you require for the immigration

office where you will be making your application, for example most offices do

not require a medical cert.

You will have to ask at the office you intend to apply to.

As already said you cannot apply for a long term non imm O-A visa in Thailand

and this is not a retirement VISA though often incorrectly referred to as such.

5905f660ed862_DocumentsforExtension-Retirement.docx

Sorry for the terminology not being precise, but the google ads at the top page do say "Thai Retirement Visa", so I thought that was a reasonable summary to what I was referring. Apologies for wrongly stating the overseas sourced "O-A" as sqwakvfr rightly also pointed out when I meant the simple extension. I carelessly copied the wrong description from another post . Appreciate the retirement doc with the different type of address validation details.

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2017 at 10:42 AM, bkk6060 said:

Would you know if your buddy took along a TM30 when he went for his initial 90 day Non-Immigrant Category O application conversion or did he just check with his landlord and go along without anything on that front? Thanks.

Edited by w94005m

Take a breath.

Do as ubon joe says he is the best scource of info on here.

Get a tourist visa with an extension that will give you 90 days to draw breath. 

Get yourself sorted out with a condo when you do this ensure you get a signed copy of the landlords Thai ID card and tabien (blue book) Insist on those two pieces of paperwork. You will get a lease agreement.

Then the day after you sign the lease  go to jointiem immigration office and ask for a full list of what you require to convert your TV to a non o then extension of stay. Whilst your there hand in  a tm30 with copies of your lease and landlords ID and blue book (copies not origionals youl need them.)

. Thats the address reporting taken care of

Now go back and relax take your time get everything sorted out if your ready within the last 30 days of your TV go and start the ball rolling if not in the last 14 days of visa go get a 30 day extension.

You will by doing it this way have time to collate all documentations you need ie trip to bangkok to get income affidavit ect.

Fully armed it is a breeze.

Rome wasnt built in a day

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Take a breath.

Do as ubon joe says he is the best scource of info on here.

Get a tourist visa with an extension that will give you 90 days to draw breath. 

Get yourself sorted out with a condo when you do this ensure you get a signed copy of the landlords Thai ID card and tabien (blue book) Insist on those two pieces of paperwork. You will get a lease agreement.

Then the day after you sign the lease  go to jointiem immigration office and ask for a full list of what you require to convert your TV to a non o then extension of stay. Whilst your there hand in  a tm30 with copies of your lease and landlords ID and blue book (copies not origionals youl need them.)

. Thats the address reporting taken care of

Now go back and relax take your time get everything sorted out if your ready within the last 30 days of your TV go and start the ball rolling if not in the last 14 days of visa go get a 30 day extension.

You will by doing it this way have time to collate all documentations you need ie trip to bangkok to get income affidavit ect.

Fully armed it is a breeze.

Rome wasnt built in a day

Yes, I know that ubon joe is the oracle and I have every intention of following through on his suggestions. I was just debating between the guesthouse or condo for accommodation. I was tending towards the guesthouse, which was why I was asking about the TM30 deal, but I'll have a rethink on the condo front.

Appreciate your thoughts and detailed recommendations. 

15 minutes ago, w94005m said:

Yes, I know that ubon joe is the oracle and I have every intention of following through on his suggestions. I was just debating between the guesthouse or condo for accommodation. I was tending towards the guesthouse, which was why I was asking about the TM30 deal, but I'll have a rethink on the condo front.

Appreciate your thoughts and detailed recommendations. 

Condos are ten a penny depends where you want i had one at luppini vile exellent lication exellent managment. So we bought one there as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Condos are ten a penny depends where you want i had one at luppini vile exellent lication exellent managment. So we bought one there as well.

Good to know. I am just concerned about getting a long lease in case I hit problems getting the visas.

52 minutes ago, w94005m said:

Good to know. I am just concerned about getting a long lease in case I hit problems getting the visas.

Forget that leases here arent worth the paper there on. If you leave early you will just lose the deposit is all. As for non o and extension if you have evrything its quite painless. If your really worried or cant be bothered see one of the many agents in pattaya who will dot the i's and cross the T's on the documentsbut i really wouldnt bother. Remember qhen you go back for passport with non o and extension in they usualy do them both together so you get 15 months on first extension. To fet a re entey permit if you require one.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Forget that leases here arent worth the paper there on. If you leave early you will just lose the deposit is all. As for non o and extension if you have evrything its quite painless. If your really worried or cant be bothered see one of the many agents in pattaya who will dot the i's and cross the T's on the documentsbut i really wouldnt bother. Remember qhen you go back for passport with non o and extension in they usualy do them both together so you get 15 months on first extension. To fet a re entey permit if you require one.

That's great to know about the leases. Many Thanks!

I do intend trying to do the visa's myself as you suggest. Cheers!!